Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A place to discuss all things ADM

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2022 | 09:29 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ExMB
Agree. Thats what I did. Especially since in my state they give salestax credit. That was a requirement for the tire kickers which they didn't want to cover.
There is sales tax credit in my state as well.
Old 02-12-2022 | 10:23 AM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

sounds like ADM is dropping for ordered cars with a dealer relationship, still there for the unseen tourings, a little different situation for cars unspoken for
The following users liked this post:
chance6 (02-12-2022)
Old 02-14-2022 | 02:34 PM
Salespunk
Instructor

Had an interesting conversation with a friend last night about ADM's. He is a buyer/inventory manager for a large GMC/Cadillac dealer and he talked through what GM is doing at the corporate level to fight the issue vs how Ford is handing it, etc. Here's how it works;

GM has centralized the deposit process similar to Ford. Where they have changed it is that the deposit can be moved to ANY dealer in the US up until a few weeks before the build starts. At that point GM asks that you go to your selected dealer, work out the final configuration and finalize pricing. From that point the buyer has to confirm that they want to continue with that dealer for the rest of the process. Once the buyer has confirmed then GM sends the deposit to the dealer and the completed vehicle is sent for delivery. He said that factory reps have reached out three times in the last month to warn about their dealership trying to "take advantage of GM's customers". Basically told him that any games asking for larger deposits or large ADM's will result in them not getting the new Lyriq and Hummer's shipped to them. Apparently one dealership in Socal started reaching out to customers with deposits asking for an additional $5K. Mary Barra got involved and moved all deliveries away from that dealership and they will not see any of the new electric cars until at least mid '23.

This is very different from how Ford is handling the Bronco fiasco as an example. They have a formula that ships cars based on size the dealership, dealership location relative to large metro areas and then who has deposits. There are several midwest dealers that were will to sell at or below sticker assuming the Bronco's would be delivered based on deposits. Some had over 1000 deposits on hand for vehicles, but Ford pulled the rug on them and shipping cars to larger dealers that are asking for significant ADM's.

In general this seems to be a much more equitable and reasonable approach to high demand cars. At the end of the day we are all Porsche customers and the dealership for the most part is inconsequential for a purchase. Service is another discussion, but in general who really cares where they buy their car from?
Turbo Racer (02-14-2022)
Old 02-14-2022 | 03:13 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Salespunk
Had an interesting conversation with a friend last night about ADM's. He is a buyer/inventory manager for a large GMC/Cadillac dealer and he talked through what GM is doing at the corporate level to fight the issue vs how Ford is handing it, etc. Here's how it works;

GM has centralized the deposit process similar to Ford. Where they have changed it is that the deposit can be moved to ANY dealer in the US up until a few weeks before the build starts. At that point GM asks that you go to your selected dealer, work out the final configuration and finalize pricing. From that point the buyer has to confirm that they want to continue with that dealer for the rest of the process. Once the buyer has confirmed then GM sends the deposit to the dealer and the completed vehicle is sent for delivery. He said that factory reps have reached out three times in the last month to warn about their dealership trying to "take advantage of GM's customers". Basically told him that any games asking for larger deposits or large ADM's will result in them not getting the new Lyriq and Hummer's shipped to them. Apparently one dealership in Socal started reaching out to customers with deposits asking for an additional $5K. Mary Barra got involved and moved all deliveries away from that dealership and they will not see any of the new electric cars until at least mid '23.

This is very different from how Ford is handling the Bronco fiasco as an example. They have a formula that ships cars based on size the dealership, dealership location relative to large metro areas and then who has deposits. There are several midwest dealers that were will to sell at or below sticker assuming the Bronco's would be delivered based on deposits. Some had over 1000 deposits on hand for vehicles, but Ford pulled the rug on them and shipping cars to larger dealers that are asking for significant ADM's.

In general this seems to be a much more equitable and reasonable approach to high demand cars. At the end of the day we are all Porsche customers and the dealership for the most part is inconsequential for a purchase. Service is another discussion, but in general who really cares where they buy their car from?
maybe I missed it but in the GM/Ford model, is it a first come first serve allocation model? It’s just a waiting game?
Turbo Racer (02-14-2022)
Old 02-14-2022 | 03:53 PM
lawrence1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Salespunk

Not sure about the GM details, but your account of what Ford is doing is 100% false. Ford has instituted a customer order verification program (COVP) that prioritizes allocations for retail orders, over dealer inventory orders. In fact, for some in demand models and option packages, Ford is not even building dealer inventory cars AT ALL, and all production capacity is allocated to customer ordered units. Volume dealers still get their regular allocations as well, however most are using those to fill orders, since dealer inventory production has been severely limited. What is happening though, is some dealers are gaming the system by taking orders from customers, and then asking for an ADM once the vehicles have been produced. If the customer backs out, said dealers still get the car/truck and can sell it for ADM. Obviously, Ford and GM are making an effort to avoid dealers from charging over retail for new product (unlike other manufacturers), however these measures aren't air tight (and can't be).

The issue many volume dealer customers are facing mainly revolves around wait times from order to delivery (6-8 months, or more). These dealers have larger order books that exceed their total allocations, and at the same time Ford has numerous production constraints that they are trying to work through. As a result, it sometimes takes several months for an order to get scheduled, plus build time, transit time, etc. Again, Ford has not shifted allocations away from volume dealers. We'll see how this process evolves, however i'm wiling to bet the big three will eventually clamp down on ADMs even harder. I wouldn't expect any such efforts from Porsche though ;-)
Old 02-14-2022 | 03:55 PM
lawrence1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WenigerAberBeser
maybe I missed it but in the GM/Ford model, is it a first come first serve allocation model? It’s just a waiting game?
Yes, it can be, if you work with the right dealer. The wait times for certain models can be significant, however.
Old 02-14-2022 | 07:01 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lawrence1
Yes, it can be, if you work with the right dealer. The wait times for certain models can be significant, however.
That's fine considering that many of us who ordered Porsches are waiting 6+ months from getting the allocation to when they get the car (I got my allocation in Nov and the car won't arrive until July).
Old 02-15-2022 | 06:42 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
What I'd love to know is where the demand for all these cars is coming from. I mean, there's a crap ton of people who now work from home so not like they need a car or even a second car. Did people's cars vanish during Covid?
Hey man I couldn’t find your post on the glass cleaning product. All I can say I fuikIN6 hate cleaning windows. That product you recommended I got a pack of 6 from Amazon did all the windows on all 4 cars, and damn it’s easy and it works vs all those other BS products. Thanks for the tip
Old 02-15-2022 | 07:35 PM
Zero757
Instructor

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Hey man I couldn’t find your post on the glass cleaning product. All I can say I fuikIN6 hate cleaning windows. That product you recommended I got a pack of 6 from Amazon did all the windows on all 4 cars, and damn it’s easy and it works vs all those other BS products. Thanks for the tip
So what's that fuikIN6 cleaning solution you're so happy with?
Old 02-15-2022 | 07:44 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Zero757
So what's that fuikIN6 cleaning solution you're so happy with?
use it with new paper, and I went on a cleaning spree.

Old 02-15-2022 | 09:13 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Touring Only $350k

Old 02-15-2022 | 09:27 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WenigerAberBeser
Touring Only $350k

What a steal!
Old 02-15-2022 | 10:12 PM
ssiminou
Banned

SoCal dealer just mentioned having a bonus Touring slot available....asking $150k ADM
Old 02-16-2022 | 11:54 AM
Boucherom
Rennlist Member

Isringhausen has had that one for sale for over a month! No takers so far.
Old 02-16-2022 | 11:57 AM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Boucherom
Isringhausen has had that one for sale for over a month! No takers so far.
Shocker. I bet they won't get $300k for that car

Quick Reply: A place to discuss all things ADM