Sponsored by:

A place to discuss all things ADM

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2022 | 11:50 PM
chance6
Race Car

Originally Posted by Dr. Watson
Exactly! Spot on!

I bought my GT3 because I'm married......anything else would just be asking for problems.
We really need a sarcasm font here........
Go trade in that GT3 for a GTS Cab or TTS Cab...you've never seen the panties fly off so fast...lmao
Old 02-21-2022 | 07:44 PM
dommydom
Advanced

Originally Posted by Targa32
I opted to buy a shark blue Boxster GTS and a shark blue GT4 - both at Msrp rather than pay stupid mark up on a GT3. The GT3 really is uncomfortable - I am wrangling to get a 911 GTS cabriolet — a car as fast except in the hands of a pro on a race track and even then zillions of a second slower maybe than a GT3. I am paying the $1,000 stupid money to drive a GT3 at the LA Experience center on March 1st on all their modules just to find out if all the hype is really worth a $100,000 adm.

i would buy a GT3 at msrp instantly today but because I know I can drive it for awhile at no cost and maybe make a little profit over the msrp plus sales tax.

really annoying to pay8.75% sales tax on the $100,000 adm plus another $1,000 in registration fees to the idiots in the state of California government.
I did the GT3 Generations module at PECLA last week. Wasn't sure I'd be able to discern the difference between the 1.2 and the 992, but it really was night and day. Engine... Front end... How everything "felt." I went into it thinking I liked the 1.2 more, but I came out of it not knowing which pros/cons mattered most to me (body style, interior, engine note/smoothness, front end responsiveness, etc.). Ultimately, all I know is I'd love to have one regardless of whether it's a 1.2 or 992.

But is the 992 GT3 worth 100k ADM? Depends on your unique situation, I suppose... That's too rich for my blood, for sure.
Old 02-21-2022 | 07:50 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dommydom
I did the GT3 Generations module at PECLA last week. Wasn't sure I'd be able to discern the difference between the 1.2 and the 992, but it really was night and day. Engine... Front end... How everything "felt." I went into it thinking I liked the 1.2 more, but I came out of it not knowing which pros/cons mattered most to me (body style, interior, engine note/smoothness, front end responsiveness, etc.). Ultimately, all I know is I'd love to have one regardless of whether it's a 1.2 or 992.

But is the 992 GT3 worth 100k ADM? Depends on your unique situation, I suppose... That's too rich for my blood, for sure.
Can you expand on the bold sentence?
Old 02-21-2022 | 08:15 PM
dommydom
Advanced

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
Can you expand on the bold sentence?
Sure. Caveat though is that this is all subjective based on my interpretations and opinions...

With the 1.2, it felt much more "raw" in terms of the interior, engine and gearbox (both the 1.2 and 992 I drove were PDK).

The 1.2 cabin felt "smaller" to me, which is likely obvious if you think about design or in the context of the 992s cabin. That contributed greatly to the 1.2 feeling like a smaller car than the 992. The 1.2 feeling like a smaller car initially gave me more confidence in placing it around cones/corners than the 992. Now, this analogy is going to sound extreme, but I'm just trying to illustrate an idea: it's like if you drive a Macan and then the dealer gives you a Cayenne as a loaner when you go in for service. At least initially, you have greater confidence you're not going to curb a wheel in the parking lot with a Macan than with a Cayenne. Again, I know that sounds insane because the 1.2 and 992 are so close in dimensions and I'm going to get roasted for this, but please note I'm trying to describe afeeling and don't mean that literally. Sitting in the 992 cabin, it almost feels more cocoon-like with the dash and window sills being higher. The 992 cabin feels way more luxurious and therefore more "comfortable" but there's a certain confidence that the 1.2 cabin instills, if that makes any sense.

The 992 engine and gearbox are way smoother. The 992 is like butter whereas the 1.2 has more vibrations and clunking (in the best way possible for that awesome mechanical feeling imo). I didn't think I'd notice a difference in engine note, but you absolutely can.

Front end on the 992 is so sharp. That means you can ask so much more of it when driving hard. The con there is that you have to really have be mindful of your steering inputs at all times, especially over uneven surfaces. It literally goes exactly where you point it, intentional or otherwise.

So, the reason why I said I didn't know which of the aforementioned pros/cons mattered most to me is because they're not definitely one or the other. It's not really black/white. I like the confidence that the 1.2 cabin gives me in terms of placing the car, but I felt like the 992 cabin was more comfortable. The 992 engine is so smooth, which in itself is crazy impressive, but sometimes I like the raw nature of the 1.2 with all of its vibrations. And while the 992s front end is like a surgical tool, it's less forgiving in that sense. I guess out of those categories, the one that I tend to have more of a solid affinity one way or another is with the 992s front end.

But then there's the fact that I like the aesthetic of the 1.2 over the 992 in Touring form (what I'd like to be in the market for), but the 992 over the 1.2 in non-touring. And then the fact that I like the tail light of the 992 because I think it looks neat at night. Yada yada yada... and on and on and on... Tiring, but I suppose obsessing over details is sort of what makes us all Porsche people, right?

Well, hope my half-baked thoughts were helpful in some way. I'm sure a lot of people are going to disagree with me, but that's what I got out of my 90-minutes with the two cars.

...maybe a 50k adm at most, for me. maybe not. lol

Last edited by dommydom; 02-22-2022 at 12:30 AM. Reason: grammatical errors + forgot to comment on body
The following 6 users liked this post by dommydom:
av12345 (02-22-2022), chance6 (02-21-2022), Diablo Dude (03-07-2022), MrCynical (02-21-2022), sherpacycling (03-15-2022), Vgj (02-22-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-07-2022 | 06:35 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Originally Posted by ssiminou
Could be a sign of slight softening...but that car is also PDK. Still a surprising result.
A few more days like today in the stock market and that ADM will be going down faster than a Thai hooker.

Old 03-07-2022 | 06:40 PM
SBARacing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude
A few more days like today in the stock market and that ADM will be going down faster than a Thai hooker.
Are you also considering the fact that almost all Porsche new cars are pushed a few months for production due to that ship incident and the Ukrainian wire-harness supply issues?

The market is not one directional, and while the stock market puts pressure in one side, the supply chain issues, the ship sinking and now the war are pushing it on the other side.
Old 03-07-2022 | 07:27 PM
Targa32
Burning Brakes

I spent $1,100 to drive a GT3 at PECLA and my own conclusion was that to get the few seconds advantage over any of the Carrera cars or the GT4 requires a driver with a lot of experience on a track or at least willing to push the outer edges of the performance curve whether on a track or on the street.

watch this video — YouTube- comparing a 992 GT3 be base Carrera — results are surprising. //

.be/gXkc_vZJt6Yhttps://youtu.be/gXkc_vZJt6Y
compare $300,000 to $115,000.

That $1,100 saved me $200,000 plus.

The following users liked this post:
Chris C. (03-08-2022)
Old 03-07-2022 | 07:36 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Did anyone notice that the roof doesn’t come off on the GT3? A top that slides away or folds up is well worth at least 200 hp on the fun meter everyday. How many GT3’s will ever go around a race track. And from experience the gals are more impressed with that open top than the extra 100 hp or wishbone suspension even though it does help corner a lot better in the grocery store parking lot.

the only car worth an extra $100,000 will be the 911 Spyder….. that is the car that will remove a gals panties faster than even a turbo S.

the genius of Porsche is that the GT3 is 90% the same as the base Carrera. Same interior, same electronics, same body except for the silly giant wing and even same carbon fiber seats and I bet that engine is not all that different in a large number of components. The profit margins must be massive.
me end fewer letters on the back…..

i bought three different Porsche sports cars - 911 Targa 4, GT4 and a Boxster GTS - I had the fun of using the configurator three times - not once - got to agonize over deviated stitching three times and got to watch them in the factory and watch three ships steam around the world. Pulled the sheet on three new cars as well. And now I have three sports cars instead of one and each has its own personality. My idea is that the most beautiful girl has a hard time competing with three darn nice looking and fun girl friends on your arm and in your bed all at once.

just my experience - make Porsche give you another complete car for that extra $125,000 mark up over msrp. I bought 1,198 Porsche horsepower, 18 Porsche pistons and 12 Porsche wheels and three steering wheels and not one- but three Bose stereo systems. Okay you want to impress at the local Porsche club of America cars and coffee? Pull in with three new Porsche sports cars - best to have your girlfriends driving the o second and third car of course for real attention getting from other Porsche fans - if attention is your thing.

It is crazy fun to have to decide which of three new Porsche sports cars to drive each morning. The dealer was so thrilled they gave me a $3,000 discount on the Boxster GTS and sold me the GT4 at msrp and threw in a free hat! Now I can buy any other Porsche at favorable prices. Negotiating a $125,000 adm on a single car hardly gives you a reputation with that dealer as a savvy and demanding customer.

lots of arguments over which of the three seats offered by Porsche should one order. With three cars I got one of each style and truth is they are all comfortable. And three transmissions too!

tell your salesman you want to buy three cars - not just one. The salesman I have talked to say they don’t get any extra commission for writing up a sale with $125,000 markup on a single car. Now I’m legend st the dealer- the guy that bought three in the same year not just the guy that bought one car and paid an embarrassingly silly massive markup.

I spent $1,100 to drive a GT3 at PECLA and my own conclusion was that to get the few seconds advantage over any of the Carrera cars or the GT4 requires a driver with a lot of experience on a track or at least willing to push the outer edges of the performance curve whether on a track or on the street.

watch this video — YouTube- comparing a 992 GT3 be base Carrera — results are surprising. //

https://youtu.be/gXkc_vZJt6Y.be/gXkc_vZJt6Yhttps://youtu.be/gXkc_vZJt6Y

I see you’re still trying to seek some comfort in not being able to acquire a GT3. Not everyone who buys one is doing it for track times. I must have missed the memo ordering a Touring.

I couldn’t sell my 992 C2S fast enough…

Last edited by smiles11; 03-07-2022 at 08:22 PM.
JAB12 (03-14-2022)
Old 03-08-2022 | 11:33 AM
PTS
Rennlist Member

https://youtu.be/gXkc_vZJt6Y.be/gXkc_vZJt6Yhttps://youtu.be/gXkc_vZJt6Y

That's unfortunate you don't possess the skills to extract the added performance nor the added experience between a base Carrera and a GT3. A regular 911 seems to suit you perfectly, which is great considering you cannot get a GT3 allocation. Just make sure you get the wheels in shark blue to drop those panties
nine-e-neven (03-08-2022)
Old 03-08-2022 | 11:46 AM
chance6
Race Car

Originally Posted by smiles11
I see you’re still trying to seek some comfort in not being able to acquire a GT3. Not everyone who buys one is doing it for track times. I must have missed the memo ordering a Touring.

I couldn’t sell my 992 C2S fast enough…

Well if you're gonna buy a TRACK car and not take it to the track, what's the REAL point? Or is it just flash...?

In previous gens I've had C2S, GTS, then Turbo/ Turbo S / GT3. C2S was always a good car, plenty fast, especially now. GTS even more so with more to offer. Beyond acceleration maybe another question is 'what will you be happy with in 2 years? 3 years?' For me I guess it's either TTS or GT3 for the long-term growth with the car. Carrera is plenty fast for street driving though.

Last edited by chance6; 03-08-2022 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-08-2022 | 11:50 AM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chance6
Well if you're gonna buy a TRACK car and not take it to the track, what's the REAL point? Or is it just flash...?

In previous gens I've had C2S, GTS, then Turbo/ Turbo S / GT3. C2S was always a good car, plenty fast, especially now. GTS even more so with more to offer. Beyond acceleration maybe another question is 'what will you be happy with in 2 years? 3 years? For me I guess it's either TTS or GT3 for the long-term growth with the car. Carrera is plenty fast for street driving though.
I would have opted for a winged GT3 if it was only a TRACK car. My car will be splitting time between Hwy 88 to Tahoe & Hwy 1 along the coast. YMMV

Last edited by smiles11; 03-08-2022 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-08-2022 | 11:51 AM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chance6

In previous gens I've had C2S, GTS, then Turbo/ Turbo S / GT3. C2S was always a good car, plenty fast, especially now. GTS even more so with more to offer. Beyond acceleration maybe another question is 'what will you be happy with in 2 years? 3 years? For me I guess it's either TTS or GT3 for the long-term growth with the car. Carrera is plenty fast for street driving though.
I know you were asking Smiles, but I'll bet our answers are similar. I'm buying a GT3T for the experience, sound, manual trans, suspension, etc. I live in an area where you can extract plenty of that without a track, even though I will be tracking mine 2-4 times a year as well. I don't give a **** about speed (a GTS is now quicker in the straights), the experience is everything, and there is nothing quite like 9k RPMs out of a flat 6 then slamming into the next gear. When I drive the 911R and the GT2RS back to back, I end up wanting to get back into the R. It just does something different for me that is sometimes tough to describe. To me the intangibles make the car. A base Carrera is plenty fast and a nice car, but bores the hell out of me compared to a GT3
The following 2 users liked this post by PTS:
smiles11 (03-08-2022), Turbo Racer (03-08-2022)
Old 03-08-2022 | 11:58 AM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PTS
I know you were asking Smiles, but I'll bet our answers are similar. I'm buying a GT3T for the experience, sound, manual trans, suspension, etc. I live in an area where you can extract plenty of that without a track, even though I will be tracking mine 2-4 times a year as well. I don't give a **** about speed (a GTS is now quicker in the straights), the experience is everything, and there is nothing quite like 9k RPMs out of a flat 6 then slamming into the next gear. When I drive the 911R and the GT2RS back to back, I end up wanting to get back into the R. It just does something different for me that is sometimes tough to describe. To me the intangibles make the car. A base Carrera is plenty fast and a nice car, but bores the hell out of me compared to a GT3
Could not have explained it better myself.

Combining the overall GT3 experience with some of the greatest driving roads… what else needs to be said.
Chris C. (03-08-2022)
Old 03-08-2022 | 12:49 PM
cooler2442
Rennlist Member

FYI friend just traded his GT3 to a dealer for 75k over sticker so dealers are paying 75k+ over sticker and then flipping for 100k+.
Old 03-08-2022 | 12:53 PM
LexVan
Banned

The following 3 users liked this post by LexVan:
AlexCeres (03-08-2022), MiamiAnimalDoc (03-10-2022), NYCGT3 (03-11-2022)

Quick Reply: A place to discuss all things ADM