Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A place to discuss all things ADM

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2022 | 08:01 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jbravo23
we come here for the action. We got side bets going on. Each day there’s an over/under on how many times you, usc, and welike mention ADM’s and the gt market collapse. It’s entertaining and profitable. Keep it going. If there’s one constant, y’all don’t stop.

When you’re done with your palantír Saruman, pass it along. I’d like to know what the power ball numbers are going to be this week.
Never said that the GT market will collapse, more like decline at a slow rate until prices get around MSRP for winged GT3s sometime next year. Do you not see what the Fed is doing? It's the opposite of the helicopter printing press and they don't care how many jobs are lost and how low asset prices go (including stocks, cars, and watches). They need to crush inflation because it has gotten out of hand. The prices for all hard assets is going down as the Fed takes liquidity out of the system and you can bet your booty that they won't stop until they break something in the financial markets. I'm just telling it how I think it'll play out. If people became more patient and waited there wouldn't be $100k+ ADMs for GT3s, simple as that.

The following 7 users liked this post by usctrojanGT3:
AlexCeres (10-13-2022), azzurri (10-14-2022), fijibubba (10-14-2022), Manifold (10-12-2022), niji84 (10-13-2022), WCGhost (10-13-2022), welikethetrack (10-13-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-12-2022 | 08:10 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Never said that the GT market will collapse, more like decline at a slow rate until prices get around MSRP for winged GT3s sometime next year. Do you not see what the Fed is doing? It's the opposite of the helicopter printing press and they don't care how many jobs are lost and how low asset prices go (including stocks, cars, and watches). They need to crush inflation because it has gotten out of hand. The prices for all hard assets is going down as the Fed takes liquidity out of the system and you can bet your booty that they won't stop until they break something in the financial markets. I'm just telling it how I think it'll play out. If people became more patient and waited there wouldn't be $100k+ ADMs for GT3s, simple as that.
Exactly.

People are unnecessarily bidding up prices into a bubble, and the bubble will burst, as all bubbles do.

The Fed's approach is probably not calibrated well, but inflation must be brought under control. Somehow people thought the money from the printing press was a free lunch. It wasn't. The bill now has to be paid.
The following 4 users liked this post by Manifold:
neoprufrok (10-13-2022), usctrojanGT3 (10-12-2022), WCGhost (10-13-2022), welikethetrack (10-13-2022)
Old 10-12-2022 | 08:14 PM
cayenne-tt
Advanced

Originally Posted by WCGhost
You could get a touring brand new for $70K over, and that was over a month ago before the market was softening. +$90K on a touring is what prices were in the early summer. $300K is what dealerships would love to get, I would be amazed if they sold for this now.
Was the $70K over touring for an allocation or one on the lot? PTS?
Old 10-12-2022 | 09:03 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude
I also dont believe that anyone has a significant portion of their net worth wrapped up in a GT car.
These silly people exist. Certainly more than 10% for some... life is short.
Old 10-12-2022 | 10:07 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
Exactly.

People are unnecessarily bidding up prices into a bubble, and the bubble will burst, as all bubbles do.

The Fed's approach is probably not calibrated well, but inflation must be brought under control. Somehow people thought the money from the printing press was a free lunch. It wasn't. The bill now has to be paid.
Yeah and we all see how inflation has effected us whether it's housing prices, price of food/hotels/airfare/cars/watches/etc, contractor costs, and energy. I agree with the Fed as the downside of a temporary recession is the lesser of two evils compared to letting inflation run hot. The free lunch is over and people need to tighten their belts and cut back which will bring prices down.
The following users liked this post:
Manifold (10-12-2022)
Old 10-12-2022 | 11:25 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Aren’t we basically leaving the bar right now, super drunk, stumbling onto our front steps? Eventually, we are gonna sleep, wake up, and hit the bar again. We will fire up the printing presses and lower rates again like before.
The following 4 users liked this post by shrimp money:
AlexCeres (10-13-2022), michaeldorian (10-16-2022), usctrojanGT3 (10-13-2022), welikethetrack (10-13-2022)
Old 10-13-2022 | 12:02 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shrimp money
Aren’t we basically leaving the bar right now, super drunk, stumbling onto our front steps? Eventually, we are gonna sleep, wake up, and hit the bar again. We will fire up the printing presses and lower rates again like before.
Of course we will, once inflation flattens out or goes to 0% and unemployment is increasing the Fed will pivot and begin to fill the punch bowl up again and the next bubble will begin.
The following 3 users liked this post by usctrojanGT3:
AlexCeres (10-13-2022), WCGhost (10-13-2022), welikethetrack (10-13-2022)
Old 10-13-2022 | 02:12 AM
niji84
AutoX

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
I been lurking Rennlist now for a few years and after the 992 GT3 was announced, I started to get serious about getting a GT3. It was pretty crappy seeing the ridiculous ADMs over the past year and a half and I've thought about moving on to something else altogether. I do think your insights along with welikethetrack and a few others have given me added patience to the process. If the prices go down towards MSRP in the next 2 years or so, I'd love to have the opportunity to get one. I have made peace with the fact that not getting a GT3 is ok also. If prices continue to be sky high, then I'll move on from it. Lots of really enjoyable sports/sporty cars and I've still kept my canyon/track car so I could always funnel addition funds into building that car out more.
The following 2 users liked this post by niji84:
usctrojanGT3 (10-13-2022), WCGhost (10-13-2022)
Old 10-13-2022 | 02:41 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by niji84
I been lurking Rennlist now for a few years and after the 992 GT3 was announced, I started to get serious about getting a GT3. It was pretty crappy seeing the ridiculous ADMs over the past year and a half and I've thought about moving on to something else altogether. I do think your insights along with welikethetrack and a few others have given me added patience to the process. If the prices go down towards MSRP in the next 2 years or so, I'd love to have the opportunity to get one. I have made peace with the fact that not getting a GT3 is ok also. If prices continue to be sky high, then I'll move on from it. Lots of really enjoyable sports/sporty cars and I've still kept my canyon/track car so I could always funnel addition funds into building that car out more.
I'm sure I annoy several people on here talking about waiting and being patient but I only speak from experience. I paid a $50k ADM for a 991.1 GT3RS allocation because of the hype and smoke & mirrors by the dealers and folks on RL. Had I waited 6 months, I could have bought a slightly used one for MSRP 9-12 months later. Yes the supply chain constraints have reduced supply but the bigger issue will be the economic headwinds that are getting stronger in the economy and I've seen the number of GT3s for sale keep piling up. At some point even the dealers will have to relent and reduce prices as the flooring interest rates keep going up. I really believe that a winged GT3 will be close to around MSRP within 6-12 months from now, Tourings will probably stay over MSRP because there's less of them out there but nothing close to $75k over. I own a Touring so it's not in my interest for the values to go down but I could care less because it's a car that I bought to drive and when it's time to move on to the next one my dealer will get the car back. Your (and several others) patience will be rewards, I'm sure of that!
The following 4 users liked this post by usctrojanGT3:
FatBottomGirl (10-14-2022), fijibubba (10-14-2022), Manifold (10-13-2022), WCGhost (10-13-2022)
Old 10-13-2022 | 03:46 AM
WCGhost
Instructor

Originally Posted by cayenne-tt
Was the $70K over touring for an allocation or one on the lot? PTS?

On lot, not PTS. This seems to be easily possible without really putting in effort.
Old 10-13-2022 | 08:45 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

The dealers have gotten spoiled during the pandemic by the high demand and high profit margins, and have not yet come to terms with the fact that their party is starting to end. But they’ll soon enough find out that people are no longer interested in throwing crazy money at them to buy cars they don’t really even need.

Porsche GT cars don’t even make sense as road-only cars anyway, there are lots of other cars which are more fun on the road at much lower cost. I say that as someone with eight cars in the garage (all German), two of which are Porsche GT cars.

RL is a hype machine for both pricing and the cars themselves. People need to do a little critical thinking and see the hype for what it is.

Last edited by Manifold; 10-13-2022 at 08:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Maverick787 (10-13-2022)
Old 10-13-2022 | 09:24 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Manifold
The dealers have gotten spoiled during the pandemic by the high demand and high profit margins, and have not yet come to terms with the fact that their party is starting to end. But they’ll soon enough find out that people are no longer interested in throwing crazy money at them to buy cars they don’t really even need.

Porsche GT cars don’t even make sense as road-only cars anyway, there are lots of other cars which are more fun on the road at much lower cost. I say that as someone with eight cars in the garage (all German), two of which are Porsche GT cars.

RL is a hype machine for both pricing and the cars themselves. People need to do a little critical thinking and see the hype for what it is.
I say I agree with the “hype machine”. It also speaks to all the drama around ring times as everyone gets dialed in on something not key to their personal driving experience. The hype, as everyone talks about the car and it should cost more it only drives up the Delta. It reminds me when the movie was out as a kid 100 Dalmatians, kids wanted them as pets because they were cute and six months later the dog pound was full of them. Any drivers like yourself can appreciate many of the performance traits, but Porsche prays on that hype throwing AP out there to stir the hype, and many fall for it. Well Jim Jones made people sell their houses and drink the purple juice ……end of the day people want what they can have, and when they get it …it’s just another thing. Porsche is the only manufacturer to give you 5 incremental HP, and people justify it’s ok look at all the other stuff on the same car my 2 cents for what it’s worth. All that said I agree with you.
The following 2 users liked this post by Maverick787:
Manifold (10-13-2022), michaeldorian (10-16-2022)
Old 10-13-2022 | 10:19 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maverick787
I say I agree with the “hype machine”. It also speaks to all the drama around ring times as everyone gets dialed in on something not key to their personal driving experience. The hype, as everyone talks about the car and it should cost more it only drives up the Delta. It reminds me when the movie was out as a kid 100 Dalmatians, kids wanted them as pets because they were cute and six months later the dog pound was full of them. Any drivers like yourself can appreciate many of the performance traits, but Porsche prays on that hype throwing AP out there to stir the hype, and many fall for it. Well Jim Jones made people sell their houses and drink the purple juice ……end of the day people want what they can have, and when they get it …it’s just another thing. Porsche is the only manufacturer to give you 5 incremental HP, and people justify it’s ok look at all the other stuff on the same car my 2 cents for what it’s worth. All that said I agree with you.
Yup, it's like the hype with iphones. No, the new iphone isn't going to have features which are going to make your life a lot happier on a perpetual basis. You don't need to stand in line all night to be among the first people to get the new iphone. The product already had the retina screen, good camera, etc. many years ago. But there's a cult that thinks Apple products are a gateway to heaven, and Steve Jobs was the prophet.

IMO, for road driving, these 911 cars reached their peak with the 997 generation (and some would say earlier with the air-cooled cars). The 991 was a big step forward in performance, but at the expense of making the car feel bigger and less visceral. The 992 is only an incremental step beyond the 991, and much of the improvement in lap time is from cheater tires that no one actually uses, as well as well as from aero which makes no real difference on the road. As you said, there hasn't been much gain in power and torque with these flat-six NA engines. I got my Porsche GT cars for the track, where they excel, and the 991.1 GT3 from 7 years ago is already more track car than anyone really needs; it's still a hoot to drive on track, regardless of the lap times of the latest iterations.
The following 2 users liked this post by Manifold:
Freddie Two Bs (10-13-2022), Maverick787 (10-13-2022)
Old 10-13-2022 | 10:41 AM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

If you are open to a variety of GT3 builds and only 1-2 must haves, the used market would be financially better a year from now most likely. However, if you are very particular (pts, cxx, etc) or you want a very low option, base build… a small ADM kind of makes sense.
The following 2 users liked this post by WenigerAberBeser:
Freddie Two Bs (10-13-2022), WCGhost (10-14-2022)
Old 10-13-2022 | 11:49 AM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Of course, this is by no means exclusive to Porsche.

You can make the case about the "hype machine" across just about any luxury brand item.
It's called marketing. And it's interesting to note that in the case of Porsche (and perhaps other German automakers) it seems to be working quite well given the following here.
The people that own 8 cars in their garage would probably be the first to admit that.
Regardless of ADM.

The following 2 users liked this post by Diablo Dude:
JAB12 (10-13-2022), neoprufrok (10-13-2022)

Quick Reply: A place to discuss all things ADM