Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stop Sale Campaign on 911 with Sport Chrono?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2020 | 06:59 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Originally Posted by Porschejam
Not sure I’m following the logic of private owners suing Porsche to remove an option from their own car, and then demanding payment for the loss of value related to the feature. If using the feature doesn’t give you the mileage you want, then don’t use the feature.

”Doc, it hurts when I do this!”

”Then stop doing that.”
I agree with you but I won't be signing the class action...

I was commenting about a hypothetical and mandatory repair, as a possible outcome of the class action.
Old 12-17-2020 | 07:00 PM
uphoto
Pro

Not sure I’m following the logic of private owners suing Porsche to remove an option from their own car, and then demanding payment for the loss of value related to the feature. If using the feature doesn’t give you the mileage you want, then don’t use the feature.

”Doc, it hurts when I do this!”

”Then stop doing that.”
I'm guessing it only took one person who was litigious enough to be pissed about their MPG (we know the type, the one that never drives the car for what it is) and then the lawyers found that there was a bigger issue here and more $$$ to be made once they figured Porsche did something wrong. Then the lawyers go out there and search for owners to be a part of the lawsuit like we are seeing.
The following users liked this post:
Porschejam (12-17-2020)
Old 12-17-2020 | 07:13 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
In the event that it is, in fact, the Sport Plus mode that does not meet emissions regulations, I suppose one (neutering) solution would be to disable Sport Plus in the affected 991.1 vehicles. A poll on how many 991.1 owners actually use Sport Plus may be in order. I use it once in a blue moon while in manual mode but I do not need it. It would not be the end of the world (for me) if that mode were disabled, although I would expect some sort of compensation from Porsche for the loss of some of the car's functionality.
Rarely, likely just on track. Would also eliminate the most "free" setting on the PSM, right?

And would eliminate my auto blipping feature from consideration, on days I want to slide the rear and have Porsche blip for me.
Old 12-17-2020 | 07:15 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shammerman
That and the Heat shield (see the thread below). These were service bulletins - not recall.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1192...ld-recall.html
Tomato, Tomatoe . Service bulletin is a voluntary version - semantics.

And yes I had my heat shield done too.
Old 12-17-2020 | 08:00 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris C.
Tomato, Tomatoe . Service bulletin is a voluntary version - semantics.

And yes I had my heat shield done too.
@Chris C. - There is one important difference. You can check for recalls on the Porsche site but not service bulletins and typically owner of every affected vehicle will receive a formal notice from Porsche NA in order to insure that they are aware of it. Service bulletins do not generate a letter and are just taken care by the dealer during regular service (which will leave those who do not use dealers uninformed if not on boards like Rennlist).
The following users liked this post:
Al.Fresco (12-17-2020)
Old 12-17-2020 | 08:10 PM
Porschejam
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bemo
I agree with you but I won't be signing the class action...

I was commenting about a hypothetical and mandatory repair, as a possible outcome of the class action.

I'm with you, and am pretty much just joking around, but there is some truth to the observations. Without much in terms of actual background, most of us are just guessing about what the implications/hypotheticals are. Seems odd to sign onto a lawsuit over diminished value when our cars are worth more than they were a year ago. So the lawyers are asking folks to assume there will be diminished value because of the lawsuit they're asking folks to join.

Everybody has their own motivations, but I'm not really thinking the private lawyers have our best interests in mind. Suing the manufacturer of a product are passionate about over gas mileage seems like madness to me. You can get better mileage by driving with a lighter foot, and nobody I know would buy a Porsche primarily for the gas mileage. Anyone using Sports Chrono isn't doing it for the gas efficiency. (Don't get me wrong, they should not LIE about the gas mileage)

Old 12-17-2020 | 08:11 PM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Bemo, give me a call when you get around to it
Old 12-17-2020 | 08:46 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

And, while technically correct - points for you - still irrelevant to the thread @shammerman .

The point was the service campaign, aka "recall" in the vernacular, spurred this gentleman to somehow trigger Porsche to reveal that the cars we're driving (well, I am) we certified with one set of software and perhaps hardware, then released to market somehow in altered form.

I think it's fascinating that their issue of diagnostic software/hardware on the emissions system monitoring led to this. Can't wait to hear the full story as it emerges!
Old 12-17-2020 | 09:55 PM
tjg81296
Racer

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...missions.shtml

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...stigated.shtml

I hadn't seen these. Every time I had searched to find more info it always led back to this thread on RL. coming from a Hellcat, my C4S gets great gas mileage
Old 12-17-2020 | 10:00 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris C.
And, while technically correct - points for you - still irrelevant to the thread @shammerman .

The point was the service campaign, aka "recall" in the vernacular, spurred this gentleman to somehow trigger Porsche to reveal that the cars we're driving (well, I am) we certified with one set of software and perhaps hardware, then released to market somehow in altered form.

I think it's fascinating that their issue of diagnostic software/hardware on the emissions system monitoring led to this. Can't wait to hear the full story as it emerges!
Please note that my original comment was to respond to pfan’s specific question not to you. Just let it go....no need to pipe in....
Old 12-17-2020 | 10:23 PM
pfan
Pro

From the lawsuit:

"Under Cal. Civ. Code § 1780(b), Plaintiffs and the Class seek an additional award against VW and Porsche of up to $5,000 for each Class member who qualifies as a “senior citizen” or “disabled person” under the CLRA. VW knew or should have known that their conduct was directed to one or more Class members who are senior citizens or disabled persons".

Who ever accused lawyers of not being kind and considerate?
Old 12-18-2020 | 02:01 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pfan
... of up to $5,000 for each Class member who qualifies as a “senior citizen” or “disabled person” under the CLRA. VW knew or should have known that their conduct was directed to one or more Class members who are senior citizens or disabled persons".

The following 2 users liked this post by worf928:
edirtaynine (12-18-2020), SFZ GT3 (12-19-2020)
Old 12-18-2020 | 11:21 AM
edirtaynine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pfan
From the lawsuit:

"Under Cal. Civ. Code § 1780(b), Plaintiffs and the Class seek an additional award against VW and Porsche of up to $5,000 for each Class member who qualifies as a “senior citizen” or “disabled person” under the CLRA. VW knew or should have known that their conduct was directed to one or more Class members who are senior citizens or disabled persons".

Who ever accused lawyers of not being kind and considerate?
wtf. so is this lawsuit bs from some ADA-compliance chasing scumbags?
Old 12-18-2020 | 03:29 PM
Bemo
Drifting

I'm with you, and am pretty much just joking around, but there is some truth to the observations. Without much in terms of actual background, most of us are just guessing about what the implications/hypotheticals are. Seems odd to sign onto a lawsuit over diminished value when our cars are worth more than they were a year ago. So the lawyers are asking folks to assume there will be diminished value because of the lawsuit they're asking folks to join.

Everybody has their own motivations, but I'm not really thinking the private lawyers have our best interests in mind. Suing the manufacturer of a product are passionate about over gas mileage seems like madness to me. You can get better mileage by driving with a lighter foot, and nobody I know would buy a Porsche primarily for the gas mileage. Anyone using Sports Chrono isn't doing it for the gas efficiency. (Don't get me wrong, they should not LIE about the gas mileage)

They called again this morning. Told them that I'll pass as I don't believe that their class action is in my best interest.

If the agreed upon remedy is of any neutering variety, I'll take my chances with PCNA...
It could turn into a "GT" upgrade opportunity while avoiding a divorce.
Diminished Value scares me not, divorcing the wife does!
The following 5 users liked this post by Bemo:
991.1GTS (12-28-2020), borivojc (01-01-2021), edirtaynine (12-18-2020), Porsche911GTS'16 (12-18-2020), SFZ GT3 (12-19-2020)
Old 12-18-2020 | 03:42 PM
sdsc
Instructor

I believe the stop sale and class action lawsuit are unrelated, correct? Then why are we focusing so much on the lawsuit? Porsche itself admitted to emissions manipulation and told German and U.S. regulators this summer, and this is likely the cause of the stop sale.

Porsche Investigated for Gasoline Engine Manipulation (wardsauto.com)
The following 3 users liked this post by sdsc:
BGLeduc (12-18-2020), ottodawg (12-18-2020), PJK3 (12-21-2020)

Quick Reply: Stop Sale Campaign on 911 with Sport Chrono?