Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stop Sale Campaign on 911 with Sport Chrono?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2020, 09:25 AM
My991
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschejam
There's no "stop sale in Florida
Makes no sense since used cars are sold countrywide.
Old 12-02-2020, 11:01 AM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

The problem here is that it is deceptive to say the cars perform a certain way using modified “test” parts that will show better numbers. Then sell different “inferior” parts under those pretenses. I owned 2 (Panamera and 991.1) both with sport chrono. But this is a classic bait and switch. It does not matter who is bringing this up or the environment per se, its about deceitful practices.
The following users liked this post:
daddiomk2 (12-02-2020)
Old 12-02-2020, 11:06 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,633 Likes on 1,065 Posts

Has malfeasance by PAG been proven in court, or settled? Or is it still under investigation?

Isn’t this entire CA suite predicated on PAG’s proven or admitted guilt?
Old 12-02-2020, 11:18 AM
Porschejam
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by My991
Makes no sense since used cars are sold countrywide.

What makes no sense is the arbitrary rules set up by California and the EPA for a car manufacturer. If you sell sports cars, that's your niche. If you sell econoboxes THAT's your niche. Not every manufacturer should be required to be in the same business. California has been permitted to dictate the rules for everyone else.
Old 12-02-2020, 11:24 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,233 Likes on 724 Posts

What makes no sense is the arbitrary rules set up by California and the EPA for a car manufacturer. If you sell sports cars, that's your niche. If you sell econoboxes THAT's your niche. Not every manufacturer should be required to be in the same business. California has been permitted to dictate the rules for everyone else.
I don't think Porsche is required to meet CA requirements, as long as they don't want to sell their cars in CA. However they would probably be giving up their largest US market.

I could have sworn I saw a Nissan a few years back that had a California trim to meet their requirements.

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 12-02-2020 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-02-2020, 11:26 AM
uphoto
Pro

Received 316 Likes on 133 Posts

Show us on the body map where it was that California touched you. It’s going to be okay.
BGLeduc (12-02-2020)
Old 12-02-2020, 11:39 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,633 Likes on 1,065 Posts

Originally Posted by uphoto
Show us on the body map where it was that California touched you.
Ok. Here:

Originally Posted by uphoto
It’s going to be okay.
No it is not. You - Mr it's-gonna-be-ok - are almost surrounded.
The following 3 users liked this post by worf928:
krinsky1965 (12-03-2020), Noah Fect (12-02-2020), Porschejam (12-02-2020)
Old 12-02-2020, 11:54 AM
spiderspider
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

says the guy from Reno, where Californians flee to evade taxes..
Noah Fect (12-02-2020)
Old 12-02-2020, 12:18 PM
bb964
Rennlist Member

Received 325 Likes on 200 Posts

Old 12-02-2020, 12:41 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,312 Likes on 610 Posts

Let's avoid red/blue politics lest the thread get shut down, and stick to the issue: emissions.

And this really isn't a CA-only thing anyway. Roughly 25% of states have decided to follow its lead on emissions—as have many other countries, if they haven't exceeded CA's requirements of late. Those states and countries adopted or made those laws out of their own sovereignty—imperfect as it may be (welcome to everywhere!). A lot of lives have been saved as a result, and a lot of lives have been improved as a result. This is a demonstrable fact. Has it come with a cost? Yes. And like everyone else, I've had to pay for it—not just in taxes or more expensive cars, but out of pocket for emissions tests, etc.

I feel it's been worth it.

Those living outside of CA don't have a clue as to the day-to-day magnitude of the air pollution here. My father, an engineer/car guy/matter-of-fact American who could hardly be called a tree-hugger, tells me I don't have a clue either—and that back in the 1970s, he couldn't see the bay from his office at LBL most days, let alone the docks in Oakland or the city of San Francisco. By the 1990s, most days were crystal clear and blue in the Bay Area…something that still couldn't be said for the Los Angeles area. I remember my trips down there in the 1990s, and my shock at the brown skies. But it goes well beyond nice blue skies for the heavily populated areas: Our air pollution up here gets pushed down to the central valley—breadbasket for a lot of our country. And while this is anecdotal, I've been noticing that the pretty blue skies of the last couple of decades seem to be rarer lately. Hazy or smoggy skies seem to be more and more common. With MUCH cleaner cars, I have to wonder why. Is it population growth? More people choosing to drive trucks instead of cars? Or?

As much as cars manufacturers are easy political scapegoats (check out the recent reports on owner-modified diesel pickups…potentially millions of them), and as much as I believe many of the goals and standards levied on light vehicles are unrealistic and onerous in light of other measures that might be taken, we have to do something to curb vehicle fleet emissions. As for the cheating, whether by manufacturers or individuals, our tests are idiotic. From "self certification" to test sites to no ongoing/regular testing for diesels, our laws are effectively set up to encourage cheating, whether by corporations (including similar accusations against Ford, GM, FCA/Cummins, and more…) or by individuals. Roadside test technology has been around for decades, and talk about a way to cut emissions and level the playing field: real-world tests (even if you allow a large margin, instead targeting out-of-tune gross polluters only) of the whole vehicle fleet (new or old) in real time, all the time. But no, even in CA we exempt new cars from any testing at all and require the rest of the fleet to make extra trips to and from test centers every two years, consuming how much fuel and emitting how much as the full fleet does so?

I guess I take a different perspective as a car nut: The more that air pollution is a widespread problem, the more likely it is that our ability to have fun with cars will be threatened. Or, at least, we'll be pushed towards fewer choices and increasingly uninteresting ones. We only get so many chips to play with, and wasting them on bland/heavy SUVs—or huge increases in pollution for a extra few horses or more black smoke—is a bummer for all of us.

Last edited by stout; 12-02-2020 at 01:09 PM.
The following 8 users liked this post by stout:
CPL55 (12-03-2020), dr bob (12-02-2020), Furrry (12-02-2020), Fünfer (12-23-2020), GT3FZS (12-04-2020), thebrit86 (12-08-2020), uphoto (12-02-2020), WEM 911 C4S (12-02-2020) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-02-2020, 12:49 PM
uphoto
Pro

Originally Posted by spiderspider
says the guy from Reno, where Californians flee to evade taxes..
You're saying it as if it's a bad thing......

And welcome to the forum!!!!
Old 12-02-2020, 01:12 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,090 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
I did not give an opinion one way or the other about Porsche and its (alleged) shenanigans. My opinion on that front is, if proven true, they are cons and they conned all of us who purchased their cars in good faith. If I can legally continue to drive my car the way it was built and sold to me, great. If I cannot, then like Bemo, I would rather cash out than drive a car that does not perform as well as it used to, prior to being "fixed" for the purposes of meeting emission standards. No, I am not looking to be an environmental scofflaw but yes, I would love to keep my car for years to come, as I had planned.

I assume everyone on this thread watched the Volkswagon scandal episode called "Hard Nox" on the Netflix "Dirty Money" series?

It talks not just about Volkswagon but the German auto industry as a whole including conflict of interest and how German car companies even prevented the press from renting and using test equipment. It is an incredible episode that I've wanted more than once.
Old 12-02-2020, 01:26 PM
flgfish
Pro

Received 162 Likes on 99 Posts

So I read the text of that lawsuit, and Sport Chrono is not mentioned in the complaint. Are we sure that this is what the stop-sale is about?
Old 12-02-2020, 01:52 PM
uphoto
Pro

Originally Posted by flgfish
So I read the text of that lawsuit, and Sport Chrono is not mentioned in the complaint. Are we sure that this is what the stop-sale is about?
I noticed that too but try to find a SC optioned car for sale right now from a dealership, none out there but there are ones without.
Old 12-02-2020, 01:54 PM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 813 Likes on 542 Posts

So after all these posts we still dont know anything concrete

Quick Reply: Stop Sale Campaign on 911 with Sport Chrono?