Sponsored by:

911 T owners club

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2020, 11:23 AM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 887 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by minh
“if i had to do it over again“, which i actually did have a chance to do as I traded my black T for miami blue T, I don’t think i’m going to do PPF and will learn to live with “patina”
Skin Driving ftw!

SS
The following users liked this post:
seis-speed (05-29-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 11:38 AM
ducktails
Racer

Received 460 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackOptic
I am researching a GoPro clamp approach that can wrap around and secure to holes the LWBS... this seems to be the best idea so far. Any other thoughts?
I know this isn't exactly what you're asking, but if you haven't considered it already, go for the gopro mount that attaches to the Rennline Tow Hook.
https://www.rennline.com/Rennline-Go...ductinfo/PH01/

You get a nice low-to-the-ground view ...
The following 5 users liked this post by ducktails:
BlackOptic (05-29-2020), Jeahbladejeah (05-29-2020), jimmymoO (05-29-2020), myrr (05-29-2020), SFZ GT3 (09-20-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 02:44 PM
seis-speed
Pro

Received 472 Likes on 213 Posts

Interestingly, I talked to a dealer about a GT3, casual inquiry, discussing my car they seemed surprised that I did not have a full wrap and I drove so many miles.
Then I started checking other dealers, low milage GT3 is way too common. Makes me wonder, if the sweet spot for enjoying your car, is not a GT3. Get a little less car, but use it more due to less cost and less worry associated with wear and tear? Just my $.02
The following 5 users liked this post by seis-speed:
Klepper (06-01-2020), lamacan (05-29-2020), minh (05-29-2020), S S (05-29-2020), Wing Commander (05-29-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 03:06 PM
BlackOptic
Burning Brakes

Received 545 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by siete-speed
...Makes me wonder, if the sweet spot for enjoying your car, is not a GT3. Get a little less car, but use it more due to less cost and less worry associated with wear and tear? Just my $.02...
Yah, at the track last weekend we were having a similar conversation about a guy who has recently bought a GT3 RS and his lap times have dropped due to being more careful with a more expensive car.

Originally Posted by ducktails
...if you haven't considered it already, go for the gopro mount that attaches to the Rennline Tow Hook...
Funny, I have been waiting three months for a tow hook to ship, I just cancelled that and will go with the Rennline and GoPro mount. Now I have to learn how to sync together multiple GoPros and the track app. Ugh.
ducktails (05-29-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 05:26 PM
lamacan
Rennlist Member

Received 404 Likes on 228 Posts

agree with the statement above. i love the T because i don't care about ripping her apart.

we went on a nice bug hunt today up angeles crest. huge turnout of porsches, ferraris and mclarens.

The following 7 users liked this post by lamacan:
Jeahbladejeah (05-29-2020), S S (05-29-2020), Sarawnty (05-29-2020), seis-speed (05-29-2020), tgavem (05-29-2020), TYPE911 (05-29-2020), Wing Commander (05-30-2020) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-29-2020, 11:29 PM
BlackOptic
Burning Brakes

OK, T-friends.

I am on the slippery slope of “Join a track club => want to be safe => Hans => Harness = Rollbar”. I am probably also going to get racing shoes, racing gloves. Not sure about the racing suit - that seems a little much and the track temps can be in the 100’s. My T has LWBS and rear seat delete.

What I’ve learned so far (mostly from this very useful thread) Is that I don’t want a Harness ‘Bar’. And if i am going to be rigid in a harness and Hans, then I want a rollbar. That said, of the BBi, CMS, Cantrell, options I am leaning to the minimally invasive GMG RSR - which is technically a Harness Bar and not a roll bar. But it does have a hoop. I am trying to hang on to some access to the rear seat area for storage for the 95% of the time I will not be on a track. If there are other ‘full Rollbars’ that allow me to pass a couple of duffle bags into the back, I’d go for that.

I also would prefer a minimally invasive four point Schroth Porsche Seat Tuning harness, but since it seems ill advised with use with a Hans, I am now thinking Schroth Enduro 2x2 six point. I’d need the same setup for driver and passenger, and cut holes and fabric in the passenger seat.

For now I’d love some insight to:
  1. Any thoughts on options for a bolt-in rollbar leaving some access to the rear? (Albeit the LWBS already make access to the rear really difficult)
  2. That require minimal cutting of side panels?
  3. Rollbar that doesn’t squeak/pop?
  4. Do I need sub strap setup for both the driver’s seat and passenger?
  5. Are any of these harness setups easier than others to remove on non track days?

Last edited by BlackOptic; 05-29-2020 at 11:44 PM.
tourenwagen (07-20-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 11:55 PM
ducktails
Racer

Originally Posted by BlackOptic
OK, T-friends.

I am on the slippery slope of “Join a track club => want to be safe => Hans => Harness = Rollbar”. I am probably also going to get racing shoes, racing gloves. Not sure about the racing suit - that seems a little much and the track temps can be in the 100’s. My T has LWBS and rear seat delete.

What I’ve learned so far (mostly from this very useful thread) Is that I don’t want a Harness ‘Bar’. And if i am going to be rigid in a harness and Hans, then I want a rollbar. That said, of the BBi, CMS, Cantrell, options I am leaning to the minimally invasive GMG RSR - which is technically a Harness Bar and not a roll bar. But it does have a hoop. I am trying to hang on to some access to the rear seat area for storage for the 95% of the time I will not be on a track. If there are other ‘full Rollbars’ that allow me to pass a couple of duffle bags into the back, I’d go for that.

I also would prefer a minimally invasive four point Schroth Porsche Seat Tuning harness, but since it seems ill advised with use with a Hans, I am now thinking Schroth Enduro 2x2 six point. I’d need the same setup for driver and passenger, and cut holes and fabric in the passenger seat.

For now I’d love some insight to:
  1. Any thoughts on options for a bolt-in rollbar leaving some access to the rear? (Albeit the LWBS already make access to the rear really difficult)
  2. That require minimal cutting of side panels?
  3. Rollbar that doesn’t squeak/pop?
  4. Do I need sub strap setup for both the driver’s seat and passenger?
  5. Are any of these harness setups easier than others to remove on non track days?
My $0.02 would be to work up the safety equipment as your skills and speed increase- have you looked into a Simpson Hybrid to start? https://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/...n-hybrid-sport

I've heard this is pretty much a plug and play solution to get started with your existing 3 point belts; that being said I've been doing HPDE for 5 years or so with only a helmet and a padded neck brace - I'm just slow

The following 2 users liked this post by ducktails:
BlackOptic (05-29-2020), tourenwagen (07-20-2020)
Old 05-30-2020, 01:01 AM
BlackOptic
Burning Brakes

...get started with your existing 3 point belts; that being said I've been doing HPDE for 5 years or so with only a helmet and a padded neck brace - I'm just slow
For sure, all possible combinations are going through my mind. I’m sizing it all up.
Old 05-30-2020, 02:20 PM
spyderbret
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 284 Posts

My $0.02 would be to work up the safety equipment as your skills and speed increase- have you looked into a Simpson Hybrid to start? https://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/...n-hybrid-sport

I've heard this is pretty much a plug and play solution to get started with your existing 3 point belts; that being said I've been doing HPDE for 5 years or so with only a helmet and a padded neck brace - I'm just slow
This is great advice if you are just getting started. I have been tracking for over 7 years and recommend you start off slow and add things as your skills improve. Using a Simpson Hybrid with the 3 point and LWBS in the T will serve you well for an extended period. You can only go so far with the T as a track car so when you get to the 6 point harness etc you will probably start looking at a different platform. The T will take you much further than you think with just the Simpson and 3 point.
The following 2 users liked this post by spyderbret:
BlackOptic (05-30-2020), ducktails (05-30-2020)
Old 05-30-2020, 03:14 PM
ducktails
Racer

Originally Posted by siete-speed
Interestingly, I talked to a dealer about a GT3, casual inquiry, discussing my car they seemed surprised that I did not have a full wrap and I drove so many miles.
Then I started checking other dealers, low milage GT3 is way too common. Makes me wonder, if the sweet spot for enjoying your car, is not a GT3. Get a little less car, but use it more due to less cost and less worry associated with wear and tear? Just my $.02
A Porsche GT IMO is an ideal 3rd+ car; i.e. you would have a Daily Driver (Maybe a Macan or a GTI), a Road Tripper/Tourer/"Nice Car" (Maybe a non-GT 911, an AMG GT or an Audi RS) and a track monster (GT3/GT4 or maybe a prepped 987.2/981) -- in that scenario, split across 3 or more cars, it's really hard to pile the miles on. Having a GT car as your only car, or as your only sports car, it's doable but not optimal depending on your life circumstances... I think a lot of people that don't take them to the track bail out after a while especially when they realize it's not actually an investment "guaranteed to appreciate"

K-Nut (05-30-2020)
Old 05-30-2020, 06:22 PM
K-Nut
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 200 Likes on 91 Posts

A Porsche GT IMO is an ideal 3rd+ car; i.e. you would have a Daily Driver (Maybe a Macan or a GTI), a Road Tripper/Tourer/"Nice Car" (Maybe a non-GT 911, an AMG GT or an Audi RS) and a track monster (GT3/GT4 or maybe a prepped 987.2/981) -- in that scenario, split across 3 or more cars, it's really hard to pile the miles on. Having a GT car as your only car, or as your only sports car, it's doable but not optimal depending on your life circumstances... I think a lot of people that don't take them to the track bail out after a while especially when they realize it's not actually an investment "guaranteed to appreciate"
I drive pickup to work and winter , my T is my go after work and weekend car and Spyder 718 on the way as a special car
track only 1-3 times a year with T
i would probably get 997 S and modify it for track vs spend 150k on GT3 and use it for track , unless money is not a problem
Old 06-01-2020, 01:47 AM
seis-speed
Pro

I have Soul Cats installed since December, but still wonder if SW is louder? What is louder cats or SW exhaust?

On nicer days with windows down, going faster, I could go a little louder. I did order Blackmill aero kit to reduce wind noise.

Old 06-01-2020, 02:29 PM
seis-speed
Pro

Originally Posted by K-Nut
I drive pickup to work and winter , my T is my go after work and weekend car and Spyder 718 on the way as a special car
track only 1-3 times a year with T
i would probably get 997 S and modify it for track vs spend 150k on GT3 and use it for track , unless money is not a problem
Sounds like me. I have a few cars, I tend to have a hot-hatch thing going lately and always something off-road. I love cars, but a sedan or wagon in stick might get my numbers down.
I also understand the guys that do not want to track their GT3's that is a lot of money for a track toy. When I decided I wanted to get a 911 'The T" looked like a bargain not just in comparison to other 991 cars, but even older well optioned manual cars.

Old 06-01-2020, 03:48 PM
SpiderG
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Hello,

Like many on here, I’ve been a fan of Porsche since my childhood, with my Matchbox 930 holding court as the “leader” of all the rest of my Matchbox/Hotwheels cars. I’ve been patiently waiting for the “perfect” time to buy a Porsche, but decided that I’d much rather have my kids make memories riding around in their Dad’s 911 instead of following the more prudent financial script. I’m very lucky that my wife agreed, so we recently acquired a 2018 Carrera T.

It replaces my MX-5 RF, which I bought after being smitten by a 911.1 Targa GTS I rented a few years ago through the Porsche Drive program at the Porsche Museum (well worth the money for people thinking about buying their first Porsche). I love the RF, but the lack of rear seats meant it is left home for every family road trip.

I decided on the T because everything about it appealed to me when it first came out, and as much as I like the Targa, I prefer the classic lines of the coupe. My initial plan was to save up for a 992 version of a T, but after driving a 992 I thought it was just too big… plus who knows if there will be another Carrera T anytime soon.

This T was spec’d exactly how I wanted, with the exception of the power folding mirrors and the… wait for it… rear wiper. I am one of the minority who likes a rear-wiper on a 911, so it doesn’t bother me except that it auto-deletes the light weight rear glass. The top is not a sunroof, it’s a dark grey wrap done by the previous owner. I like the contrast so I’m happy to keep it on.

I’m from the US but I currently live in the UK. I look forward to being a part of the community!

-Spider

The following 10 users liked this post by SpiderG:
Guaji (06-01-2020), masti99 (06-01-2020), Norge911 (06-01-2020), S S (06-01-2020), Sarawnty (06-01-2020), seis-speed (06-01-2020), SFZ GT3 (09-20-2020), spyderbret (06-03-2020), tourenwagen (07-20-2020), vts_lake (06-01-2020) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-01-2020, 03:53 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,216 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by SpiderG
Hello,

Like many on here, I’ve been a fan of Porsche since my childhood, with my Matchbox 930 holding court as the “leader” of all the rest of my Matchbox/Hotwheels cars. I’ve been patiently waiting for the “perfect” time to buy a Porsche, but decided that I’d much rather have my kids make memories riding around in their Dad’s 911 instead of following the more prudent financial script. I’m very lucky that my wife agreed, so we recently acquired a 2018 Carrera T.

It replaces my MX-5 RF, which I bought after being smitten by a 911.1 Targa GTS I rented a few years ago through the Porsche Drive program at the Porsche Museum (well worth the money for people thinking about buying their first Porsche). I love the RF, but the lack of rear seats meant it is left home for every family road trip.

I decided on the T because everything about it appealed to me when it first came out, and as much as I like the Targa, I prefer the classic lines of the coupe. My initial plan was to save up for a 992 version of a T, but after driving a 992 I thought it was just too big… plus who knows if there will be another Carrera T anytime soon.

This T was spec’d exactly how I wanted, with the exception of the power folding mirrors and the… wait for it… rear wiper. I am one of the minority who likes a rear-wiper on a 911, so it doesn’t bother me except that it auto-deletes the light weight rear glass. The top is not a sunroof, it’s a dark grey wrap done by the previous owner. I like the contrast so I’m happy to keep it on.

I’m from the US but I currently live in the UK. I look forward to being a part of the community!

-Spider
Hi Spider,

Congrats and welcome to the T Family!

I’m in the UK too. Got my T new in April 2018 and have covered 28,100 happy miles so far!

Enjoy your T!

Cheers,

Simon
Sarawnty (06-01-2020)

Quick Reply: 911 T owners club