911 T owners club

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2019, 12:23 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 758 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by .moo.
I have 2 dumb questions.

1. Does our car in manual have launch control? I came across TheSmokingPipe that just reviewed the new Speedster w/ Manual that has a launch control. Basically puts the car engine at 4k RPM at stand still.

2. Does Carrera T allow shifting without lifting the accelerator pedal? I don't think we can (at least not from my experience but I could be doing it incorrectly). I recall JWW have done it on his GT3 manual as well.
Unfortunately thats a no on both. I tried and the car wasnt happy, These were reasons #1, an #2 i got rid of the T. Reason #3 was the stupid auto blip on the 1-2 up shift when you mat the accelerator pedal.
So I opted for a dual clutch. Overall the 7mt is not as good as the 6mt, not be because of the shift pattern but the programming
Old 10-18-2019, 12:31 PM
Guaji
Racer

Received 272 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
Unfortunately thats a no on both. I tried and the car wasnt happy, These were reasons #1, an #2 i got rid of the T. Reason #3 was the stupid auto blip on the 1-2 up shift when you mat the accelerator pedal.
So I opted for a dual clutch. Overall the 7mt is not as good as the 6mt, not be because of the shift pattern but the programming
This is the first time I’ve heard of the 1-2 blip when up shifting. I thought it was me messing up the shift. I don’t notice it when I short shift first gear but definitely notice it when accelerating in first gear and shifting above 6000 rpms.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:40 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Guaji
This is the first time I’ve heard of the 1-2 blip when up shifting. I thought it was me messing up the shift. I don’t notice it when I short shift first gear but definitely notice it when accelerating in first gear and shifting above 6000 rpms.
Its when you floor the gas in first gear. Gt3 doesnt do this. Theres a couple dedicated threads on the 7mt behavior in sport and sport plus. Only when rev match is on
The following users liked this post:
Guaji (10-18-2019)
Old 10-18-2019, 01:12 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 453 Likes on 305 Posts

I have 2 dumb questions.

1. Does our car in manual have launch control? I came across TheSmokingPipe that just reviewed the new Speedster w/ Manual that has a launch control. Basically puts the car engine at 4k RPM at stand still.

2. Does Carrera T allow shifting without lifting the accelerator pedal? I don't think we can (at least not from my experience but I could be doing it incorrectly). I recall JWW have done it on his GT3 manual as well.
#1 - No and yes. No, there is not a launch control on MT cars. Yes, the computer holds max RPM at 4k while car is at stand still. This actually inhibits acceleration times.

#2 - No, not realistically. But, if you have very good (fast) reflexes and don't mind abusing the machinery, give it a try. I use to do it with my early 70's muscle car during "informal" drag races.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:14 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Lets just say the revs will go to outer space when you disengage gear with the throttle planted. Dont ask how i know. And i shift fast too
Guaji (10-18-2019)
Old 10-18-2019, 02:30 PM
jimmymoO
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 63 Posts

Wow! Did not know you got rid of the T. I thought you were pretty happy with it. What did you end of getting?
Old 10-18-2019, 02:37 PM
jimmymoO
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 63 Posts

For anyone interested to know where I got the 2 questions from -

Noticed the launch control on manual + shift w/o lifting accelerator (according to the driver). But I also recall JWW did a review on this.
Old 10-18-2019, 03:51 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 583 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by BA73
Killer Drive! I'm making the trip out to COTA the first weekend in Nov to catch a little race as a spectator, will be my first time visiting . Now you've made me want to plan a follow up trip to drive![/QUOTE]

Going to F1? It's a fun event. I went to the first F1 race at COTA. MotoGP too. Great track to walk around and check out all the different vantage points. And I love Austin in general.
Norge911 (10-18-2019)
Old 10-18-2019, 03:55 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 583 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by DBH
#1 - No and yes. No, there is not a launch control on MT cars. Yes, the computer holds max RPM at 4k while car is at stand still. This actually inhibits acceleration times.

#2 - No, not realistically. But, if you have very good (fast) reflexes and don't mind abusing the machinery, give it a try. I use to do it with my early 70's muscle car during "informal" drag races.
4k rev limiter is probably to protect the clutch. I imagine a tune can remove the limiter and also enable a launch control, sorta. Back in my Evo days, they put in a 5k limiter because people were grenading clutches in a week of owning the car and sending them in for warranty. With a reflash, the limiter could be adjusted and basically used as a basic launch control.

Personally, assuming the 4k limiter can be removed, I learned to drag race/auto-x/road course on a pretty analog car. No launch control, no stability control, not even ABS. While ABS is good to have as it'll potentially save a few flat spots, I can live without the rest. Living in LA, I'm never going to launch a car anyway, no place to do it. Though, if competing at national level auto-x, not being able to launch is a big disadvantage.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:12 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Wow! Did not know you got rid of the T. I thought you were pretty happy with it. What did you end of getting?
The T was great Im just retarded with car ADD.
I made the mistake of testing an R8 v10 plus. Bad move. Its ballistic
The following 2 users liked this post by Rennolazine:
jimmymoO (10-19-2019), K-Nut (10-20-2019)
Old 10-18-2019, 08:43 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 453 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by spdracerut
I learned to drag race/auto-x/road course on a pretty analog car. No launch control, no stability control, not even ABS. While ABS is good to have as it'll potentially save a few flat spots, I can live without the rest.
None of the above and bias-ply tires - Firestone Wide Ovals. Lap belts if you bothered to buckle-up at all...ahh, how did we survive!!
Old 10-19-2019, 01:12 AM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 887 Likes on 400 Posts

Its ballistic
And slower...

K-Nut (10-20-2019)
Old 10-19-2019, 01:23 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Depends on intended purpose and whos driving. They drive completely differently which is nice to experience. But I would need to get stage 2 turbos to catch the R8 in a straight line, stock.
Old 10-19-2019, 07:22 PM
Norge911
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by mr gregash
Not sure if you or anyone else read the most recent C&D lightning lap, but the Carrera T Porsche sent was PDK and boy did it lay down a fast time for the HP. 2:53 on summer tires - faster than a 17 R8 V10+, 2019 M5 Comp, etc. the GT3RS on cup tires ran 2:41 for comparison sake.
Just read it. Impressive. Crushed the new Supra and its half brother the M2
Old 10-20-2019, 02:11 PM
bkkchris
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi all, about to possibly pull the trigger on a pre-owned T, and my first 911 (!), and have a few basic question on the T. Car I am looking at is probably not the "correct" spec for most T fans, but it's almost the perfect spec car for me, so super happy to have found it!

- With pdk on the T what does the Sport Chrono option add? Just the lap timer and the dash gauge if I am correct? Since all T's already have Sport+ and dynamic engine mounts, etc.?
- Does the pdk on the T have the limited slip diff and the diff gearing similar to the manual, or is it essentially the same as the pdk in the base Carrera? I thought I read/heard that the T pdk has different gearing than standard pdk's found in the base, S, etc, and is more similar to what is found in the GT cars pdk setup?

Quick Reply: 911 T owners club