Sponsored by:

911 T owners club

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2020, 11:20 AM
Alc
Racer

Received 520 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Ceepe
Having owned a .2 GT3 manual, a 50th manual, and a Carrera T manual, not sure how one could put a 50th at the two spot. Nor the .2 3 manual in one. Jonny never seems to know what he is talking about.
Ceepe, as an owner of the three and probably one of the very blessed few to ever own this spread, what order would you rank the 991s? I agree, most journalist only getting a sampling of the vehicle but not the experience of owning as some cars also get better with use.
Old 05-17-2020, 12:46 PM
mikesT
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

where did you get that hood emblem? Looks much nicer than the stock one.
Old 05-17-2020, 02:06 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 539 Likes on 285 Posts

I'm not entirely qualified to rank, I have never owned or driven the R nor the .2RS, nor the GT2RS for that matter. I have however owned six 991's, 50th, 991.1 GT3 (2015), 991.1 GT3 (2016), 991.2 base Carrera, 991.2 GT3 manual, 991.2 Carrera T (current car). Forgive the length and by no means should any of my perceptions have weight.

There is a good amount to unpack in regards to the 991 as a whole, and where things ended with the .2 cars. I do agree the 50th is a great looking car. I only had the chance to track my 50th one time, at 600 miles. I didn't own the car long. It's also been quite a while so my driving memories have faded. I do recall the 7 speed manual to be quite different from how they have it feeling at the end of the cycle in the .2 cars. It is now far more like the 6 speed in feel. That alone would keep the 50th away from the top spots of 991 hierarchy, for me. Also, the uniform overrun crackle of the PSE on the .1 3.8's drove me crazy. It would on the .2 cars as well, thankfully the drive mode selection allows modes which don't fart. In the .1 if PSE was on, it was farting.

There are some elements of the engines and configurations of the 991 GT3's that miss the mark in my estimation. For example, I felt the .1 GT3's were very predictable handling cars right out of the box, which could be pushed hard without worry. For me the suspension, geometry of RAS, mixed with the PDK just felt right on the track. I as a yellow run group somewhat novice driver could turn crazy fast lap times in the .1 cars. Equaling cup cars in higher run groups. It almost felt like cheating the car is so good. However, I felt in both cars the 3.8 engine did not love the last few hundred RPM. I would often be in auto mode on track and find myself pulling the paddle at 8500-8800 because it felt too abusive to hit the last few hundred RPM over and over. You then drive the .2 GT3 and the first thing noticed is how much more robust the 4.0 feels in the last 1000 RPM. It actually sounds and feels tangibly smoother and stronger, which is funny because people reference it sounding exactly the same as the old engine.

So for me, the engine change is enormous and that alone is enough to propel the .2 GT3 high into the ranks of the 991's, or any vintage really. The 4.0 might be one of the greatest production engines of all time. However for me a lot of what I loved about the .1 seemed to change. I felt the absorbent ride quality the GT department manages to finesse was replaced for a much firmer riding car. A lower car. A car which felt more willing to oversteer. A car which the RAS tuning felt more aggressive. Something which I don't love, despite the way it shrinks a car in sensation. But here is where it gets a little odd. I was not in love with the 6 speed manual, ironically. The very thing we begged for. The gears felt quite notchy in my car, the gearshift vibrated back and forth more than one would expect. Something other owners have noted. My vacuum line kept popping off the driver side exhaust. There was an odd suspension clunk out of the passenger rear, something also noted by other owners. Manual shifting in combo with the 4.0 in indeed pleasant, but something felt just a tad off with the car as a whole. Like a lot of different parts not yet in sync. Where two .1's in a row felt like dialed cars, equally for street and track somehow. The .2 3 didn't seem to click for me each time I drove it. And I never felt any real love for the car oddly. At 12 months i had driven it 700 miles.

Moving to the .2 base Carrera, which in sequence I had prior to the .2 GT3, and Carrera T. This car was a stunner right off the bat. No options, open dif, manual, 330mm brakes, standard suspension, 19 inch wheels. I immediately started commuting into NYC with the car, and through Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens on a weekly basis. The suspension is such a sea change from the 2014 911 50th vintages. Smoother, yet more precise and placeable, better able to absorb ridiculous city potholes. Somehow more delicate and also more brute. Gearbox now feels great, new engine is stellar, brakes seem fine. Car feels like an almost perfect road 911. I got rid of the car and instantly missed driving it during the commutes. Instead I drove a Golf R for a bit, which crashed into every bump so hard it would reboot the virtual cockpit. A golf that drives worse than a 911 on bumps. Needless to say that only lasted a few months. Leading to the Carrera T and my current main car. With a B9 RS5 in the mix for a bit. Not much more to be said on the T. We all seem to like it. The T is very much the base car just a little better, a little shaper, a little more endearing, no less comfortable. Maybe slightly because of the 20 inch wheels compared to the 19's on the base Carrera (that i had), but still amazing. I too commute into NYC with the Carrera T and it has never crashed (bottomed out) into a single bump. My only mod so far is a DSC controller and the car feels darn good as is.

I have not driven any of the .2 GTS cars, so again hard for me to rank. But I do agree that the .2 car is possibly an amazing high point of competence/performance, comfort, luxury, while not really sacrificing much in any category. Truly remarkable cars. I agree very much with how Palevsky felt in the Triple 0 article. Those sections are really accurate assessments of the two cars. And just how good they are. It was remarkable to read really having spent good time in both. One often reads about cars and says, what? Than you read that piece and say, yes! I've been raving about the base car for three years and this was the first time hearing someone agree.

The Carrera T is up there, as is the base car. I could see someone making an argument for an R, 2RS, 3RS, 3, T...something like that. Few Carrera models embody GT magic where you run a few sessions and realize you never pointed a single car past, but those moments are really so few and far between. Like the perfect cheeseburger bite. For the BQE and driving I do, I might put the Carrera T in the first spot. It's carefree and great. Just after I exit urban automotive warfare I find myself on a rolling hill two lane parkway. It feels built for that drive.

Last edited by Ceepe; 05-17-2020 at 05:31 PM.
The following 13 users liked this post by Ceepe:
993RR (05-19-2020), Alc (05-17-2020), ChristopherM (05-17-2020), ducktails (05-17-2020), GT3FZS (05-17-2020), Guaji (05-17-2020), jimmymoO (05-17-2020), K-Nut (05-18-2020), racemor (05-18-2020), S S (05-17-2020), Sarawnty (05-18-2020), SFZ GT3 (09-20-2020), Wing Commander (05-17-2020) and 8 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-17-2020, 03:35 PM
ChristopherM
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not entirely qualified to rank, I have never owned or driven the R nor the .2RS, nor the GT2RS for that matter. I have however owned six 991's, 50th, 991.1 GT3 (2015), 991.1 GT3 (2016), 991.2 base Carrera, 991.2 GT3 manual, 991.2 Carrera T (current car). Forgive the length and by no means should any of my perceptions have weight.

There is a good amount to unpack in regards to the 991 as a whole, and where things ended with the .2 cars. I do agree the 50th is a great looking car. I only had the chance to track my 50th one time, at 600 miles. I didn't own the car long. It's also been quite a while so my driving memories have faded. I do recall the 7 speed manual to be quite different from how they have it feeling at the end of the cycle in the .2 cars. It is now far more like the 6 speed in feel. That alone would keep the 50th away from the top spots of 991 hierarchy, for me. Also, the uniform overrun crackle of the PSE on the .1 3.8's drove me crazy. It would on the .2 cars as well, thankfully the drive mode selection allows modes which don't fart. In the .1 if PSE was on, it was farting.

There are some elements of the engines and configurations of the 991 GT3's that miss the mark in my estimation. For example, I felt the .1 GT3's were very predictable handling cars right out of the box, which could be pushed hard without worry. For me the suspension, geometry of RAS, mixed with the PDK just felt right on the track. I as a yellow run group somewhat novice driver could turn crazy fast lap times in the .1 cars. Equaling cup cars in higher run groups. It almost felt like cheating the car is so good. However, I felt in both cars the 3.8 engine did not love the last few hundred RPM. I would often be in auto mode on track and find myself pulling the paddle at 8500-8800 because it felt too abusive to hit the last few hundred RPM over and over. You then drive the .2 GT3 and the first thing noticed is how much more robust the 4.0 feels in the last 1000 RPM. It actually sounds and feels tangibly smoother and stronger, which is funny because people reference it sounding exactly the same as the old engine.

So for me, the engine change is enormous and that alone is enough to propel the .2 GT3 high into the ranks of the 991's, or any vintage really. The 4.0 might be one of the greatest production engines of all time. However for me a lot of what I loved about the .1 seemed to change. I felt the absorbent ride quality the GT department manages to finesse was replaced for a much firmer riding car. A lower car. A car which felt more willing to oversteer. A car which the RAS tuning felt more aggressive. Something which I don't love, despite the way it shrinks a car in sensation. But here is where it get's a little odd. I was not in love with the 6 speed manual, ironically. The very thing we begged for. The gears felt quite notchy in my car, the gearshift vibrated back and forth more than one would expect. Something other owners have noted. My vacuum lines kept popping off the driver side of the exhaust. There was an odd suspension clunk out of the passenger rear, something also noted by other owners. Manual shifting in combo with the 4.0 in indeed pleasant, but something felt just a tad off with the car as a whole. Like a lot of different parts not yet in sync. Where two .1's in a row felt like dialed cars, equally for street and track somehow. The .2 3 didn't seem to click for me each time I drove it. And I never felt any real love for the car oddly. At 12 months i had driven it 700 miles.

Moving to the .2 base Carrera, which in sequence I had prior to the .2 GT3, and Carrera T. This car was a stunner right off the bat. No options, open dif, manual, 330mm brakes, standard suspension, 19 inch wheels. I immediately started commuting into NYC with the car, and through Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens on a weekly basis. The suspension is such a sea change from the 2014 911 50th vintages. Smoother, yet more precise and placeable, better able to absorb ridiculous city potholes. Somehow more delicate and also more brute. Gearbox now feels great, new engine is stellar, brakes seem fine. Car feels like an almost perfect road 911. I got rid of the car and instantly missed driving it during the commutes. Instead I drove a Golf R for a bit, which crashed into every bump so hard it would reboot the virtual cockpit. A golf that drives worse than a 911 on bumps. Needless to say that only lasted a few months. Leading to the Carrera T and my current main car. Not much more to be said on the T. We all seem to like it. The T is very much the base car just a little better, a little shaper, a little more endearing, no less comfortable. Maybe slightly because of the 20 inch wheels compared to the 19's on the base Carrera (that i had), but still amazing. I too commute into NYC with the Carrera T and it has never crashed (bottomed out) into a single bump. My only mod so far is a DSC controller and the car feels darn good as is.

I have not driven any of the .2 GTS cars, so again hard for me to rank. But I do agree that the .2 car is possibly an amazing high point of competence/performance, comfort, luxury, while not really sacrificing much in any category. Truly remarkable cars. I agree very much with how Palevsky felt in the tripe 0 article. Those sections are really accurate assessments of the two cars. And just how good they are. It was remarkable to read really. One often reads about cars and says, what??? Than you read that piece and say, yes! I've been raving about the base car for three years and this was the first time hearing someone agree.

The Carrera T is up there, as is the base car. I could see someone making an argument for an R, 2RS, 3RS, 3, T...something like that. Few Carrera's embody GT3 magic where you run a few session and realize you never pointed by a single car, but those moments are really so few and far between. Like the perfect cheeseburger bite. For the BQE and driving I do, I might put the Carrera T in the first spot. It's carefree and great. Just after I exit urban automotive warfare I find myself on a rolling hill two lane parkway. It feels built for that drive.

Thanks for the rundown!
Old 05-17-2020, 04:05 PM
Alc
Racer

Received 520 Likes on 208 Posts

Ceepe,
what a great read, thanks for sharing your experience and perspective!
Old 05-17-2020, 04:20 PM
ChristopherM
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, I keep feeling better and better about buying my T!
Old 05-17-2020, 05:26 PM
kobyh15
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Awesome rundown of the 991s Ceepe, I’ve been looking for a modern 911 to add to my 993, and I’m pretty set on a 991 generation car. I was cross-shopping the 50th anniversary (I think they look incredible with the Pepita interior inserts), .1 GTS, and the Carrera T. All MTs. The GT3 Touring would be my ultimate I think, but out of my price range especially if I’m going to keep the 993. The 50th anniversary cars seem to be outrageously priced right now and very hard to find with PDCC and SPASM. I am really intrigued with the Carrera T and have been since it was released. I’m looking to buy a car to keep and drive for a long time. How well do you think each of the above cars will age? Am I better off forgetting about the 50th? It sounds like you prefer the T for driving experience. Thanks for your input.
Old 05-17-2020, 05:51 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

No, by all means if you have a 50th in your sights you will enjoy it. I would have saved a lot of time and money by keeping that first 991 and I think been just as happy.
I do think the 991 in general is a very pleasing car for a mix of driving. Not too big for me because I didn't come from air cooled cars. The graphite grey 50th is such a handsome car. I love the houndstooth seats and green gauges. I don't think it's a car which disappoints in its driving, but I do think one can feel a difference in the steering, suspension, and gearbox on the .2 cars. They seemed to achieve tangible improvements in those areas. These are slight things though and might not be present without direct comparisons.

I do think if not going with a GT, for me the T is it from the 991's. And if not probably one of the other .2's. Factoring one being less expensive than a 50th. But again, I've never heard someone with a 50th who doesn't like it. Nor any 991 really, from .1 GTS to .2 turbo S. Any 991 should provide forgiving rear engine experience, with comfort, space, reliability. You kinda get the whole 9.

For the long haul I would think they will all hold up similarly. Maybe something to be said for an NA engine over a FI engine for the long term. Not sure.

Last edited by Ceepe; 05-17-2020 at 06:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
kobyh15 (05-17-2020)
Old 05-17-2020, 06:34 PM
jimmymoO
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 63 Posts

@Ceepe Interesting how you sold the .2 GT3 for a T. Any particular reason besides the ride being harsher for daily commute? It would seem that could be rectify with DSC controller.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:21 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by .moo.
@Ceepe Interesting how you sold the .2 GT3 for a T. Any particular reason besides the ride being harsher for daily commute? It would seem that could be rectify with DSC controller.
Not a direct move from GT3 to T, and occupying different uses. When I had the .2 GT3 I also had the .2 base car to daily drive, which I got rid of for the Golf R. I got rid of the .2 Carrera despite liking it a lot because I had the GT3. I then got rid of the GT3 because it was sitting too much, and then traded the golf R for an RS5 sportback. I finally traded the Audi on a T that had sat on the lot for about a year. The T being more of the daily driver roll, but also a weekend car.

For the roads I drive I don't like to enter the city in a car with centerlocks. As I've mentioned in other threads, I pick up screws from time to time and don't like being stranded. It feels better to have a collapsable spare and tools with me, which all fit in frunk if a 5 lug setup. I don't think many people would ditch a .2 GT3 for a Carrera T as a direct swap, regardless of uses. But maybe. In my case it's usable versus stays in the garage. But for most people/places it wouldn't be that way I would think.

Last edited by Ceepe; 05-17-2020 at 09:32 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Ceepe:
Jeahbladejeah (05-17-2020), jimmymoO (05-17-2020), SFZ GT3 (09-20-2020)
Old 05-17-2020, 09:51 PM
kobyh15
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

No, by all means if you have a 50th in your sights you will enjoy it. I would have saved a lot of time and money by keeping that first 991 and I think been just as happy.
I do think the 991 in general is a very pleasing car for a mix of driving. Not too big for me because I didn't come from air cooled cars. The graphite grey 50th is such a handsome car. I love the houndstooth seats and green gauges. I don't think it's a car which disappoints in its driving, but I do think one can feel a difference in the steering, suspension, and gearbox on the .2 cars. They seemed to achieve tangible improvements in those areas. These are slight things though and might not be present without direct comparisons.

I do think if not going with a GT, for me the T is it from the 991's. And if not probably one of the other .2's. Factoring one being less expensive than a 50th. But again, I've never heard someone with a 50th who doesn't like it. Nor any 991 really, from .1 GTS to .2 turbo S. Any 991 should provide forgiving rear engine experience, with comfort, space, reliability. You kinda get the whole 9.

For the long haul I would think they will all hold up similarly. Maybe something to be said for an NA engine over a FI engine for the long term. Not sure.
Thanks for the feedback. You kind of echo my thoughts in general. For myself, I think it would be unique to own the last generation of the air cooled cars along with the last generation of the NA cars. When it comes down to it though, I don’t think there is a wrong choice among the 991s. The T seems to be a fantastic car, and everyone I’ve talked to that owns one loves it. I test drove a T with bucket seats, albeit with PDK, to see what the bucket seats felt like, and it was an incredible drive in the short time I had with it.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:13 AM
Ceepe(owns you)
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pardon my new handle. I posted in off topic about the utter stupidity of non mask wearing aggression, which I guess cuts close to home over there.

Having a 993 and a 50th would be pretty cool. As would a 993 and a .2 car. To you point, any 991 will likely be a great compliment to your air cooled car. Curious for you to get one and compare the two for us. I have almost no experience with the older cars, minus a few 964 drives.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:54 PM
lamacan
Rennlist Member

Received 404 Likes on 228 Posts

i too was cross shopping the 50th and the T. i couldn't justify the cost for the 50th for what felt like a "less developed" car. had the 50th been a .2 generation model, it would probably be the perfect 911. but it had some of those early 991 "quirks" when compared back to back. steering, etc. also, to me the 50th design language looked a bit kitschy retro. 50th feels more grand tourer, and T feels more sports car. that was my take.
The following 3 users liked this post by lamacan:
GT3FZS (05-18-2020), K-Nut (05-18-2020), SFZ GT3 (09-20-2020)
Old 05-18-2020, 03:55 PM
Northern911T
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 10 Posts

From german site mobile.de

Have been checking it sometimes. Currently about 52 Ts for sale on that site. Prices are very slowly dropping. Same time about 60 gt3 tourings for sale at that site. So currently more gt3 tourings for sale than Ts. Maybe the T is just a perfect keeper in the long run. We will see.
The following 2 users liked this post by Northern911T:
K-Nut (05-20-2020), S S (05-18-2020)
Old 05-18-2020, 04:36 PM
lamacan
Rennlist Member

Received 404 Likes on 228 Posts

that said, if anyone is looking for a 50th, auto kennel in OC has literally a perfect spec.

https://autokennel.com/2014-porsche-...ary-edition-2/

Quick Reply: 911 T owners club