991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2020, 12:16 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,378 Likes on 2,491 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
You mean like the 991.1 GT3 (finger followers and oiling) or 981 GT4 (gear) or not that far back, IMS and scored barrels - we can beat this to death, all day long, the fact of the matter is many higher end Porsche owners are going for Mclarens, particularly LT variants for very good reasons. In fact its clear there are plenty on here that own both Porsche and Mclaren. Why? because Mclaren offer something different and interesting - this isn't hard.

I'll happily keep going with Mclaren and Porsche - if I have a bad experience with either brand, and depending on what "bad" is then I may well move on to something else and make choices based on knowledge. In fact the reason I purchased my first Mclaren was because the 991.1 GT3 engine was so poor and Porsche were recalcitrant in dealing with the issue. When they changed the engine in the .2 series, that was the catalyst for my purchase of the GT3 RS.

All pretty sensible really.
We have both a 991.1 GT3 and 981 GT4 with lots of track and road miles on each.

The GT3 had the engine replaced under warranty. The new engine sometimes stalls, which is not good, but I expect that the issue will be addressed under warranty, since Porsche extended the engine warranty to 10 years. I sometimes get a code related to the PDK diff, but it doesn't affect the behavior of the car and the code goes away. Otherwise, the car has been pretty bulletproof despite thousands of track miles driving the car quite hard.

We haven't had any problems with the GT4.

Our other three Porsches have been relatively problem-free as well.

So, overall, I've been very pleased with the reliability of Porsches, and I'd be hesitant to try to track a McLaren.
Old 08-30-2020, 01:20 PM
nolocontendere
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 33 Posts

I have a McLaren 570S GT4, McLaren 675LT spider, Porsche 991.2 GT3 RS and Porsche spec boxster, and drive on track at a pro level pace, so I am uniquely positioned to have an educated view.

I haven’t run into reliability problems with any of my cars.

I would easily chose the 675LT over the GT3RS and very specifically chose the McLaren GT4 over buying a cayman GT4. Re the McLaren GT4 parked side by side with a Cayman GT4 I can’t imagine any reasonable person would say the cayman is more visually appealing than the McLaren, I also think equal drivers in both cars would be faster in the McLaren, regarding reliability we will see but my GT4 is not an early production car and the car in updated spec in my view will continue to be very reliable when properly maintained

Here is how I would sum up each (In order of desirability top to bottom)

675LT spider: bucket list car, driving it well with the top down on a nice day is the best on street car experience I can imagine, every time I am in it is as good as the last, I challenge anyone to tell me a car under $1m that even remotely comes close. At this point I don’t think it exists or is even possible, the car is that good

Mclaren 570S GT4. WONDERFUL dedicated race/track car, just looking at it is a visceral experience as of course is driving it, best of all the GT4 manufacturer variants in my view

991.2 GT3RS: the pinnacle, most beautiful 911, angry, visceral driving experience, a true thoroughbred that almost feels out of place driving it on the street and begs you to take it on track

Spec boxster: not a sexy car, but a great learning platform with some of the best competition in any class, if you can maintain top pace in this car you can compete anywhere

The following 3 users liked this post by nolocontendere:
Manifold (08-30-2020), Maverick787 (08-30-2020), pdxjim (08-30-2020)
Old 08-30-2020, 01:54 PM
rickman_fr
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 91 Posts

My intention is to keep the R because it's a keeper and I was lucky to buy here in France as the first owner. I did more than12 000 km.
620R will come or not (depends of some external factors) not to replace the R but as my track toy.
Regulation, here in France is more and more complicated and very expensive to register a super sport car. I anticipate a very bad year for 2021 because our ministry of environment targets cars and especialy those wich emit a too much C02.

Old 08-30-2020, 02:05 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Originally Posted by rickman_fr
My intention is to keep the R because it's a keeper and I was lucky to buy here in France as the first owner. I did more than12 000 km.
620R will come or not (depends of some external factors) not to replace the R but as my track toy.
Regulation, here in France is more and more complicated and very expensive to register a super sport car. I anticipate a very bad year for 2021 because our ministry of environment targets cars and especialy those wich emit a too much C02.

Good move, you can always get a 620 vs finding a R. The R will never compete against any Mclaren and that’s not the intent, and my view they’re complementary cars. I traded my RS for the Speedster, and kept the 675LT only because I drove it more than the RS. Had the Speedster for two weeks and over 400 miles, and it’s a great driving car at any speed. Enjoy your R, I will just wait until I can find the one I want it will come/I will drive it.
Old 08-30-2020, 07:46 PM
SSO
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Bingo.
The problem with Mclarens isn't that they break, it's what happens after they break.

You're either stuck waiting for a proper diagnoses or stuck waiting for parts after waiting for a diagnosis. And this is after (for many people) driving out of your way to get to a diagnosis in the first place.

No one is complaining about a car that breaks (at least no one should). People should only complain about what happens after a car breaks and the dealer network and availability and know-how to fix the problem. This is where Mclaren currently lacks, at least in the U.S.
I just finished a blog on McLaren's 1st half 2020 results. I think getting this part of the business right is a major focus going forward. https://karenable.com/mclarens-1st-half-2020-results/
The following 3 users liked this post by SSO:
AlexCeres (09-01-2020), Guest89 (09-02-2020), pdxjim (08-30-2020)
Old 09-02-2020, 08:57 PM
Saru385
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts

Got the McLaren out for a nice drive on Hwy 9, Skyline and Page Mill today.
Other than chiming about low tire pressure at the start of the drive, no faults, no codes, no errors! 😜

The following 3 users liked this post by Saru385:
AlexCeres (09-02-2020), cadster (09-02-2020), Gary(SF) (09-03-2020)
Old 09-03-2020, 12:18 AM
Hex
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 54 Posts

She’s beautiful man. I’m taking my girl out tomorrow.
Old 09-03-2020, 11:02 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,021 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by Hex
She’s beautiful man. I’m taking my girl out tomorrow.
Excellent.................they are a lot of fun, but you must watch out - according to rennlist Porsche owners - that have never owned one it will (a) blow up (b) drop a panel (c) throw a code (d)chime at you: of course this is in contrast to a Porsche 991.1 GT3 thats has had at least 700+ engine replacements and thats just the start

shssssss Porsche owners are budget buyers, value driven - bit like walmart shoppers - after all

So looking forward to ripping past another "nice" Porsche owner in my 765LT - 4 months and counting.

Last edited by groundhog; 09-03-2020 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-03-2020, 11:26 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,378 Likes on 2,491 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
Excellent.................they are a lot of fun, but you must watch out - according to rennlist Porsche owners - that have never owned one it will (a) blow up (b) drop a panel (c) throw a code (d)chime at you: of course this is in contrast to a Porsche 991.1 GT3 thats has had at least 700+ engine replacements and thats just the start

shssssss Porsche owners are budget buyers, value driven - bit like walmart shoppers - after all

So looking forward to ripping past another "nice" Porsche owner in my 765LT - 4 months and counting.
But, aside from the engine issue, the 991.1 GT3 isn't known to have all sorts of miscellaneous problems, even with the cars which have been heavily tracked.
The following users liked this post:
Napoli (09-03-2020)
Old 09-03-2020, 01:21 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,744 Likes on 5,127 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
But, aside from the engine issue, the 991.1 GT3 isn't known to have all sorts of miscellaneous problems, even with the cars which have been heavily tracked.
Hmm, really?

How about thermostat issues (that seem repeatedly unable to be resolved with uncommon wait times), or how about leaking oil that could have proved disastrous? Or broken valves?

And then there are repeated engine faults, and those annoying oil fill warnings.

Lets just be fair here. McLarens have problems, but so do Porsches. Just as many, maybe even more.

Last edited by ipse dixit; 09-03-2020 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-03-2020, 01:37 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Hmm, really?

How about thermostat issues (that seem repeatedly unable to be resolved with uncommon wait times), or how about leaking oil that could have proved disastrous? Or broken valves?

And then there are repeated engine faults, and those annoying oil fill warnings.

Lets just be fair here. McLarens have problems, but so do Porsches. Just as many, maybe even more.
Lets be serious for a sec.. you haven't seen a disproportionate amount of faults and recalls and issues related to McLaren? You cant compare... whataboutism is not a good tactic here. We live the brand, but many high profile owners have gone on record with their extreme dissatisfaction... porsche owners haven't. There is a real reason, and it's ok, McLaren will improve. But denying what is quantifiable, verifiably, patently clear problem seems silly.

Unless you're arguing for sport in which case... carry on... that's what forums are for after all..
The following 2 users liked this post by CAlexio:
Manifold (09-03-2020), pbsis (09-03-2020)
Old 09-03-2020, 01:46 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Lets be serious for a sec.. you haven't seen a disproportionate amount of faults and recalls and issues related to McLaren? You cant compare... whataboutism is not a good tactic here. We live the brand, but many high profile owners have gone on record with their extreme dissatisfaction... porsche owners haven't. There is a real reason, and it's ok, McLaren will improve. But denying what is quantifiable, verifiably, patently clear problem seems silly.

Unless you're arguing for sport in which case... carry on... that's what forums are for after all..
none of us it seems has hard data, just qualitative opinions based on anecdotal evidence. Speaking of which I did check the JD Power for initial quality and Porsche are well below the industry average, marginally ahead of Jaguar. so not perfect either. McLaren not listed. I am on my 6th 911 so I clearly like the brand but without quantitive data its all just opinions.

Last edited by tgibrit; 09-03-2020 at 01:59 PM. Reason: additional note
Old 09-03-2020, 01:53 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,744 Likes on 5,127 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio

No one is denying McLarens have problems. And maybe even very serious ones.

I'm just trying to balanced here.

I think the original post of the sub-thread was the McLarens suffer from an inordinate amount of electrical gremlins vis-a-vis Porsches. Yes, McLarens have a litany of electrical issues and other non-serious mechanical problems, but then so do Porsches.

As to those McLaren owners with "extreme dissatisfaction" I would say that there are probably many Porsche owners with extreme dissatisfaction as well.

Not really arguing one is better than the other or that McLaren is without fault, or that Porsche is likewise a golden-child.

Just trying to be balanced.
Old 09-03-2020, 02:06 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by tgibrit
none of us it seems has hard data, just qualitative opinions based on anecdotal evidence. Speaking of which I did check the JD Power for initial quality and Porsche are well below the industry average, marginally ahead of Jaguar. so not perfect either. McLaren not listed. I am on my 6th 911 so I clearly like the brand but without quantitive data its all just opinions.
Yes, McLarens have a litany of electrical issues and other non-serious mechanical problems, but then so do Porsches.

As to those McLaren owners with "extreme dissatisfaction" I would say that there are probably many Porsche owners with extreme dissatisfaction as well.

Not really arguing one is better than the other or that McLaren is without fault, or that Porsche is likewise a golden-child.

Just trying to be balanced.
We're not completely in the dark about this. There IS comparative quantitative market data (probably the only one that counts):
1. Depreciation as cars approach end of warranty
2. Cost of extending warranty

Last edited by hf1; 09-03-2020 at 02:07 PM.
Old 09-03-2020, 02:11 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
We're not completely in the dark about this. There IS comparative quantitative market data (probably the only one that counts):
1. Depreciation as cars approach end of warranty
2. Cost of extending warranty
But that is not reliability data, we can infer that reliability is one of the determining factors in cost of warranty extension but its still a subjective judgement. I would submit prices are usually set by what the market will accept vs a cost plus approach.

Quick Reply: McLaren Success