Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2020, 01:23 PM
CardiffDweller
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
It was just a (young-ish) employee at the Michigan Avenue store, which I believe is operated by Tourneau.

I had another weird experience with Audemars Piguet in Chicago. I was interested in buying a Royal Oak as a 30th birthday gift to myself, but I was very unsure on whether I wanted a 15300, 15202, 15400, or the then-new 15500 (this was in February of 2019) - I was hoping for an opportunity to test drive a 39mm vs. a 41mm case on my wrist.

Swiss FineTiming is the only AP AD in Chicago, although it is not an AP brand boutique. I dropped by around lunch time on Presidents’ Day, and the store was decidedly un-busy (security guard, one saleswoman, me). I was surprised by this because Chicago has a significant financial services workforce, many of those workers have the holiday off, and that’s the time of year that most banks and funds pay bonuses - i.e., shopping time for luxury goods. The store had one large AP display that was probably 10 feet long, and it had one single, solitary watch in it - a rose gold perpetual calendar Royal Oak. I explained my dilemma / curiosity and the saleswoman told me - while looking down at her phone - that it would be impossible for me to find any of the watches in which I was interested. I bought a 15202 a few weeks later, but not from her!
I guess it's fair to ask since this thread is pretty far afield from the main theme already: How do you like the Jumbo? I sold my silver dial 15400 recently and I'm already regretting it. I have found AP to be somewhat delicate in terms of robustness of the movement but the bracelet was superb and it fit my wrist perfectly. The two high trust/great reputation grey market dealers I have worked with the most both tried to talk me out of the 15202 as a replacement (a move up from the 15400). They felt the watch was not a daily or even twice or thrice weekly wearer, that the bracelet was flimsy and that the movement was exceedingly delicate (don't wear it to a sporting event and clap when your team does well...wait, what's a live sporting event with fans?). I assume you got the blue dial as well?
Old 08-29-2020, 01:32 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by CardiffDweller
I guess it's fair to ask since this thread is pretty far afield from the main theme already: How do you like the Jumbo? I sold my silver dial 15400 recently and I'm already regretting it. I have found AP to be somewhat delicate in terms of robustness of the movement but the bracelet was superb and it fit my wrist perfectly. The two high trust/great reputation grey market dealers I have worked with the most both tried to talk me out of the 15202 as a replacement (a move up from the 15400). They felt the watch was not a daily or even twice or thrice weekly wearer, that the bracelet was flimsy and that the movement was exceedingly delicate (don't wear it to a sporting event and clap when your team does well...wait, what's a live sporting event with fans?). I assume you got the blue dial as well?
this is a generally an interesting thread apart from the watch posts, maybe I am in the minority but I could care less about the timepiece one wears - surely their watch forums for those so inclined?
Old 08-29-2020, 01:58 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,378 Likes on 2,491 Posts

Originally Posted by tgibrit
this is a generally an interesting thread apart from the watch posts, maybe I am in the minority but I could care less about the timepiece one wears - surely their watch forums for those so inclined?
lol, once I got my do-it-all Apple Watch, it has been the only "watch" I wear and my fancy watches have been totally retired.
Old 08-29-2020, 02:55 PM
CardiffDweller
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by tgibrit
And McLaren forums for those so inclined, separate and apart from a GT Porsche forum. I guess some can have their cake and eat it too.
Old 08-29-2020, 03:30 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
LOL.............recently had to have the drive shafts retightened on my GT3 RS, this is the second Porsche (recent, late model owned from new) that I've had to have the drive shafts retightened (both less than a year old), other things include roof liner falling out, tensioner pulley broke, water pump blew, exhaust valve not connected to hose - ever, in fact the spring clip was bent closed which means in this instance it couldn't have been connected by the installer and they would have known this and didn't give AF....... I could go on.

My 720S ...........zero problems.
That's the jist of all the problematic with Porsche reliability vs Mclaren. Mclarens and Porsches will have the same ammount of issues, hell, even similar, the thing with Porsche is, you either already know exactly what might fail and if you post here 10 people will know exactly what it will be, then you take it to Porsche (literally everywhere has at least a capable Porsche shop) and you will have your car in a week in 90% of problems.
Mclaren starts giving you a bad feeling with the glitches the absurd ammount of chiming for anything and everything, the mclaren fails, you try the forum because your mac dealer is a bit of c%nt and 1000 miles away and everyone will just tell you they never ever had a single problem with their macca and deny the absolute existence of any type of any problem.

Last edited by RennOracle; 08-29-2020 at 03:35 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RennOracle:
ajw45 (08-30-2020), onefstm (08-29-2020)
Old 08-29-2020, 03:44 PM
Gary(SF)
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by RennOracle
everyone will just tell you they never ever had a single problem with their macca and deny the absolute existence of any type of any problem.
lol, excellent post! As to the above sentence, though, the reality of McLaren world is that there is quite a range of experiences, from sublime to bloody awful. My 570S is 4.5 years old now and believe me I would not still own the car if I were at all dissatisfied. Nothing ruins a car experience faster than unreliability. So yeah, I'm one of those with a truly excellent experience, a great dealer that is very close by, and I'm the first to admit that not every McLaren owner can say that.
Old 08-29-2020, 04:11 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,684 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by CardiffDweller
And McLaren forums for those so inclined, separate and apart from a GT Porsche forum. I guess some can have their cake and eat it too.
fwiw I’ve enjoyed the perspective of McLaren owners here and their comparisons to the Porsche GT cars. I don’t currently have a place in my life or garage for a McLaren, yet, but I am deeply curious. Their design aesthetic is damn fine.
Old 08-29-2020, 04:15 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
fwiw I’ve enjoyed the perspective of McLaren owners here and their comparisons to the Porsche GT cars. I don’t currently have a place in my life or garage for a McLaren, yet, but I am deeply curious. Their design aesthetic is damn fine.
agreed, the comparison between the cars and owner's experience is interesting.
Old 08-29-2020, 04:37 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

We’re all cars guys, and many of the guys carry all brands .........I’ve had zero issues with my 675LT, and actually traded the RS for a speedster and keeping the 675LT as I drive it more.
Old 08-29-2020, 04:48 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

McLaren threads are fine on a Porsche forum. Watches are a derail on a McLaren thread. People still wear watches?
Old 08-29-2020, 05:07 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary(SF)
lol, excellent post! As to the above sentence, though, the reality of McLaren world is that there is quite a range of experiences, from sublime to bloody awful. My 570S is 4.5 years old now and believe me I would not still own the car if I were at all dissatisfied. Nothing ruins a car experience faster than unreliability. So yeah, I'm one of those with a truly excellent experience, a great dealer that is very close by, and I'm the first to admit that not every McLaren owner can say that.
Just fyi, I use an exageration to make a point, but anything driven hard will show faults here and there, Mclaren, fortunatly has had plenty of tuners and shops starting to push them and shed light on weak bits and bobs and these usually are the ones that come with the fixes and the online support.
My personal opinion on owning a Mclaren is very simple, own it as if it doesn't have warranty, bar fatal problems, this if the dealer network is either ****e or too far this and look at it as a lifetime ordeal. Panel gaps are fckd? Adjust them, really not that hard. Electronics playing up? Find a way to get another non 5 figure battery. Headgaskets fail? Try to find a way to improve this. Really go into making the car as rebust as possible, it probably was a bargain in the first place just use the rest.
And a subscription of thorney motorsport account. Most people are on pcp or lease or some sort of short term ownership perspective, paying a monthly, the thought of having the car off road for more than 1 month (common in this side of the pond) on a year ordeal, it's something very hard to chew. If one won't mind having a normal ownership where one actually cares about the car, it will be a brilliant brand to own. Hell people owned 997.2 gt3 and 997.2 gt3 rs, as well as carreras, some of the most problematic cars Porsche ever made, fatal faults too, but unlike Mclaren they didn't chime and annoy the living ****e out of the owners, they just stopped working out of nowhere or didn't even showed anything was wrong. Mclaren bar the thermostat (should have a 90C by the way it will remove half of wear and tear) will chime for anything and everything.

sorry for the rant, but Mclaren and people perspective on it just annoy the ****e out of me. 2 sizes and measures for the same thing a car that isn't a Porsche. Then some owners are just a bit too much ignorant about cars in general, then let small things totally ruin the ownership experience. Followrd by the totally unable board and executive body that are just incapable of running a car brand like this.
Costumer support, how they manage dealers (based on how many **** dealers there is), and the worst of all, they train and form their employees quite well, but they get thru them regardless of how good or dedicated they are like they are running a janitorial company.
How tf does a company like Mclaren will ever survive with this employment model? Just makes no sense. That's why everything is so shoddy all the time, inexperienced people that have no perspectives to grow inside a company how does someone will go above and beyond to do a stellar job if their employement is at best a odd temporary job? There are no Mclaren men, there are no shared real values shared in the trenches, maybe a powerpoint, somewhere in the tea room, but they are empty. These people don't remember or don't even know what it is like to work a blue collar or even an artisan work, they have the unskilled, robotic, living quarter to quarter management model, won't work in a company like Mclaren, ever, in any paralel world.

Again sorry for the rant. Lol
Old 08-29-2020, 05:16 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,744 Likes on 5,127 Posts

Originally Posted by RennOracle
That's the jist of all the problematic with Porsche reliability vs Mclaren. Mclarens and Porsches will have the same ammount of issues, hell, even similar, the thing with Porsche is, you either already know exactly what might fail and if you post here 10 people will know exactly what it will be, then you take it to Porsche (literally everywhere has at least a capable Porsche shop) and you will have your car in a week in 90% of problems.
Mclaren starts giving you a bad feeling with the glitches the absurd ammount of chiming for anything and everything, the mclaren fails, you try the forum because your mac dealer is a bit of c%nt and 1000 miles away and everyone will just tell you they never ever had a single problem with their macca and deny the absolute existence of any type of any problem.
Bingo.

Just people just have a problem with English.

It's not so much that Mclaren's have problems, or glitches because as you rightly point out all marques have problems and glithces. Cars are mechanical objects. Mechanical objects break.

The problem with Mclarens isn't that they break, it's what happens after they break.

You're either stuck waiting for a proper diagnoses or stuck waiting for parts after waiting for a diagnosis. And this is after (for many people) driving out of your way to get to a diagnosis in the first place.

No one is complaining about a car that breaks (at least no one should). People should only complain about what happens after a car breaks and the dealer network and availability and know-how to fix the problem. This is where Mclaren currently lacks, at least in the U.S.
Old 08-29-2020, 06:27 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,378 Likes on 2,491 Posts

^ "Breaking" of cars isn't binary. Some cars break more often, and/or more consequentially, and it matters whether breaking occurs before or after warranty expiration.
Old 08-29-2020, 09:13 PM
nolocontendere
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
lol, once I got my do-it-all Apple Watch, it has been the only "watch" I wear and my fancy watches have been totally retired.
at least your watch philosophy is congruent with your street car philosophy ...

The following users liked this post:
Manifold (08-30-2020)
Old 08-30-2020, 07:17 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,021 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
^ "Breaking" of cars isn't binary. Some cars break more often, and/or more consequentially, and it matters whether breaking occurs before or after warranty expiration.
You mean like the 991.1 GT3 (finger followers and oiling) or 981 GT4 (gear) or not that far back, IMS and scored barrels - we can beat this to death, all day long, the fact of the matter is many higher end Porsche owners are going for Mclarens, particularly LT variants for very good reasons. In fact its clear there are plenty on here that own both Porsche and Mclaren. Why? because Mclaren offer something different and interesting - this isn't hard.

I'll happily keep going with Mclaren and Porsche - if I have a bad experience with either brand, and depending on what "bad" is then I may well move on to something else and make choices based on knowledge. In fact the reason I purchased my first Mclaren was because the 991.1 GT3 engine was so poor and Porsche were recalcitrant in dealing with the issue. When they changed the engine in the .2 series, that was the catalyst for my purchase of the GT3 RS.

All pretty sensible really.

Quick Reply: McLaren Success