Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 02:03 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 772 Likes on 394 Posts

Dumb question maybe, but why $5k a year for warranty on these cars? If it hasn't broke in the first 6 months, it's probably not likely to break unless it sits and stuff dries out. You can do a lot of maintenance for $5k a year.
Old 09-21-2019, 02:10 PM
CardiffDweller
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by joejenie
Dumb question maybe, but why $5k a year for warranty on these cars? If it hasn't broke in the first 6 months, it's probably not likely to break unless it sits and stuff dries out. You can do a lot of maintenance for $5k a year.
When they break, they really break. Uber expensive. I've heard stories of $100k repair bills. It's the old Learned Hand formula where you weigh the probability of harm in light of the gravity of harm, and make your decision accordingly.
Old 09-21-2019, 02:34 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Originally Posted by joejenie
‘Well two ways to look at it .........if it does break you can have a bill for 20k-30k it’s the same as Ferrari. Like car insurance the cost of ownership ........routine MTC is not the problem with any of these cars, Lambo, MAC, Ferrari ..........
Old 09-21-2019, 03:33 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
That’s not too bad ...I was quoted 5500 on my 458 annually. Did the dealer quote you 9400 for 2 years? I got a one year which was part of the deal, and less than 10k for 2 years I would do.
Yeah, for 2 years, gave me a quote for 1 and 2. Cheaper for 2. Its in for annual service and warranty expires at end of month. Have not had any problems with the car, not 1! But, will probably do it. My dealer is very good to me, will throw them a big bone.
Old 09-21-2019, 05:10 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,026 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by bli8
There are a few 675LT on cars.com with asking price in the $220's so no need to get 200 for the Touring. I think the 675LT's price will drop more once the 7xxLT is announced, maybe down to around $200?

I see 675LT's staying pretty handily in the 230-240 range even with the new LT...its going to be 450/500k for coupe builds at min. The 675 is just such huge bang for the buck its crazy.
Old 09-21-2019, 05:19 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by fastmd
Yeah, for 2 years, gave me a quote for 1 and 2. Cheaper for 2. Its in for annual service and warranty expires at end of month. Have not had any problems with the car, not 1! But, will probably do it. My dealer is very good to me, will throw them a big bone.
Yeah, I think it’s totally worth it to avoid the risk for two years.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:36 PM
RoyalPink
Burning Brakes

Received 662 Likes on 277 Posts

If you have the warranty you'd most likely be able to sleep at night not needing Ambien. I know I would.
Old 09-21-2019, 11:25 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

My buddy came by in his Helios Orange 720S tuned to 800 hp insanely fast, and beautiful color.

The following 2 users liked this post by Maverick787:
007DT (09-23-2019), thebishman (09-22-2019)
Old 09-22-2019, 09:40 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by CardiffDweller
When they break, they really break. Uber expensive. I've heard stories of $100k repair bills. It's the old Learned Hand formula where you weigh the probability of harm in light of the gravity of harm, and make your decision accordingly.
Friend just drove a 675LT. Said it was awesome. Problem again is cost of ownership. $10k for two years is crazy for warranty and another $4k for required service in same period. In 4 years that’s $28k just to own it.

I almost bought a 650S Spyder bit this ^ stopped me not the wife ironically.

Learned Hand analysis doesn’t apply since there is no way of weighing likelihood of harm. That’s the problem. We already know the harm is Uber expensive.

Mac is either raking money from its owners or they have no confidence in the reliability and durability of their cars. Which is it?
Old 09-22-2019, 10:18 AM
RoyalPink
Burning Brakes

As I've stated before: "I seriously considered getting a 720S. Except for the fact the nearest dealer to me is 420 miles away and I live 100 miles out of Vegas. Perhaps one day there will be a dealership in Vegas. No way I would get one and deal with getting this car to the dealer and picking it up God knows how many times for issues and warranty work. Only way I would consider getting one would be a killer deal and live within very close proximity to a dealer. So if you have one and live in LA for example you are probably okay. Cross country or extended road trips? Big gamble in my opinion. I'd assume most who have/had one in this thread do live fairly close to a dealer."

Apparently after my recent and still on going experience with my .2 RS - McLaren might not be so bad after all.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:30 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,492 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyalPink
As I've stated before: "I seriously considered getting a 720S. Except for the fact the nearest dealer to me is 420 miles away and I live 100 miles out of Vegas. Perhaps one day there will be a dealership in Vegas. No way I would get one and deal with getting this car to the dealer and picking it up God knows how many times for issues and warranty work. Only way I would consider getting one would be a killer deal and live within very close proximity to a dealer. So if you have one and live in LA for example you are probably okay. Cross country or extended road trips? Big gamble in my opinion. I'd assume most who have/had one in this thread do live fairly close to a dealer."

Apparently after my recent and still on going experience with my .2 RS - McLaren might not be so bad after all.
What happened with your 2rs?
Old 09-22-2019, 10:33 AM
RoyalPink
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
What happened with your 2rs?
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...oke-today.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...ame-thing.html
Old 09-22-2019, 10:39 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Waxer
Friend just drove a 675LT. Said it was awesome. Problem again is cost of ownership. $10k for two years is crazy for warranty and another $4k for required service in same period. In 4 years that’s $28k just to own it.

I almost bought a 650S Spyder bit this ^ stopped me not the wife ironically.

Learned Hand analysis doesn’t apply since there is no way of weighing likelihood of harm. That’s the problem. We already know the harm is Uber expensive.

Mac is either raking money from its owners or they have no confidence in the reliability and durability of their cars. Which is it?
Its the same as Ferrari actually the warranty is a tad more. This is a thing if someone is dropping 250k on a car most would say that’s crazy, and I have no issue paying for a warranty because sh%# happens. Fun rarely means it makes sense, and you can’t take it with you right. Sometimes you need to just have fun(:

Look at it like this the guy the paid 410k had a warranty and drove the car 500 miles to only sell for 270k makes the warranty a bargain right(:
Old 09-22-2019, 12:09 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Its the same as Ferrari actually the warranty is a tad more. This is a thing if someone is dropping 250k on a car most would say that’s crazy, and I have no issue paying for a warranty because sh%# happens. Fun rarely means it makes sense, and you can’t take it with you right. Sometimes you need to just have fun(:

Look at it like this the guy the paid 410k had a warranty and drove the car 500 miles to only sell for 270k makes the warranty a bargain right(:
Agree. Everybody has their own analysis as to what works for them.
Old 09-22-2019, 12:34 PM
yesyoucan
Racer

Received 216 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyalPink

Very few of the tens of thousands of exotic cars (lambo/ferrari/mclaren) are within driving distance to their dealer. Almost all of them get trailered in for servicing/warranty work. Some people own/drive Mac's in countries that don't even have a dealer. There are many, many, many 570s, 720s, 675 LT, 12c, P1's, all types of ferrari's, lambo's all around Nevada that aren't anywhere near a dealership (Reno/Tahoe come to mind and there are quite a few exotic cars in that area).

In my neighborhood (San Francisco Bay Area); it is 35 miles from the Mac dealer, 60 miles from the Ferrari dealer, 40 miles from the nearest Lambo dealer and 8 miles from the nearest Porsche dealer. All the Mac's, Lambo's, ferrari's, aston martin's get trailered into dealer(s) for warranty or servicing work. Your experience/cost if any will depend on whether you bought the car from the servicing dealer. There are many, many more 488's, 570's, 458's, lambo's, 720's in my area then there are gt3rs/gt2rs (even though that is the closest dealer).

Your experience is greatly enhanced if you bought the car from the dealer that you are going to service it with (they will assist you much more then if you bought private party, third party exotic dealer or a different franchised dealer).

From a person that has bought 7 Mac's, multiple ferrari's and multiple porsche's - Mclaren's are much more sensitive to check engine lights. Almost all of them go away with a re-start of the car. Get an OBD2 reader, get the code and send to service manager. They will tell you if it is serious or not (almost always it is NOT serious and goes away on it's own). The serious issues are the ones that will leave you stranded (such as the one you are having on your RS). I've only been stranded once and that was in my first hard drive with 720s and that was because of a coolant hose leak that happened in the first 100 miles)... and that was 25 track days ago...

If one is buying a new exotic/performance car and they do not have a dealer near them then it is best to go to the dealer and drive around the car for a couple of days (put on about 100 to 150 miles) and drive it a bit hard. Any issues are going to pop up in that first couple of hundred miles. It can get handled quickly and then it is pretty smooth afterwards.

Quick Reply: McLaren Success