Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2020, 04:39 PM
Gary(SF)
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
If only your experience was the rule as opposed to the exception.
There really are a lot of us out there, maybe we just aren't as outspoken as the complainers. I don't have the depth or breadth of karenable by any means, but my '16 570S has been the most reliable car I've ever owned (4 years, 14k miles). I have a number of McLaren buddies who have had little to no trouble also, you just don't hear as much from them as you do from those with the horror stories. I have no doubt those horror stories are true, but in my circle every one of the McLaren owners I know would buy another in a heartbeat.
The following users liked this post:
neoprufrok (05-22-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 05:41 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary(SF)
There really are a lot of us out there, maybe we just aren't as outspoken as the complainers. I don't have the depth or breadth of karenable by any means, but my '16 570S has been the most reliable car I've ever owned (4 years, 14k miles). I have a number of McLaren buddies who have had little to no trouble also, you just don't hear as much from them as you do from those with the horror stories. I have no doubt those horror stories are true, but in my circle every one of the McLaren owners I know would buy another in a heartbeat.
No doubt the problem cars are the squeaky wheels Getting the attention. Problem is the general perception of Macs are not great. Whether that deserved or not is another debate.
Old 05-21-2020, 07:14 PM
SSO
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 44 Posts

If only your experience was the rule as opposed to the exception.
I believe I am more of the rule, the exceptions tend to make a lot of noise whereas the rule (positive experience) are fairly quiet.
Old 05-21-2020, 07:17 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

No doubt the problem cars are the squeaky wheels Getting the attention. Problem is the general perception of Macs are not great. Whether that deserved or not is another debate.
Steep depreciation from new on barely driven cars as warranty expires and the cost of adding warranty give objective (as opposed to anecdotal) information about potential problems.
Old 05-21-2020, 07:31 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by SSO
I believe I am more of the rule, the exceptions tend to make a lot of noise whereas the rule (positive experience) are fairly quiet.
Like i said. That may be but common perception is different. Unfortunately. hf1 make a correct and objective point ^.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:28 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,529 Likes on 5,056 Posts

I’ve said this before but the problem isn’t necessarily with McLarens reliability but rather the dealer network, or lack thereof, and the lack of ability to source parts in a timely fashion when repairs are in order.

All cars have their issues, Porsche included (just head over to the Cayenne forum if you don’t believe me) but it’s more important and relevant how the company handles the issue once a problem arises. Not to say Porsche is perfect in this regard - because they most certainly are not - but they are certainly on average better than Mclaren.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:29 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

A black 2007 RS with 16k miles just sold for $8k under MSRP on BaT (including fees). Try that with a Ferrari or a Mac.

Old 05-21-2020, 10:57 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,018 Likes on 645 Posts

F40 2 million........
Old 05-21-2020, 10:58 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I’ve said this before but the problem isn’t necessarily with McLarens reliability but rather the dealer network, or lack thereof, and the lack of ability to source parts in a timely fashion when repairs are in order.

All cars have their issues, Porsche included (just head over to the Cayenne forum if you don’t believe me) but it’s more important and relevant how the company handles the issue once a problem arises. Not to say Porsche is perfect in this regard - because they most certainly are not - but they are certainly on average better than Mclaren.
This is the case - however it has improved considerably (certainly in my market).
Old 05-21-2020, 11:04 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Lol. 73 RS 1-2 million.
Let's stick to cars that are actually driven vs collected unicorns.

Duct-taped banana sold as collectible art for $120k, then got eaten:

Old 05-21-2020, 11:04 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by hf1
Steep depreciation from new on barely driven cars as warranty expires and the cost of adding warranty give objective (as opposed to anecdotal) information about potential problems.
All cars depreciate and as with Porsche you have to pay for a warranty extension. I'm pretty sure most of us have the investment bases covered or ownership positions that far out weigh hits associated with depreciation. It would be nice to have less but the reality is if you have the bases covered, its irrelevant.

A simple rule of thumb, if you're worried about the value or depreciation rate of your new car - you probably shouldn't have bought it in the first place.

HF1, ultimately the issue you face is you're largely repeating old news - as you have seen a number of people have responded pointing out their experiences - all positive. My own experience - my 720S has had routine servicing whereas three out of four recent Porsche models have had warranty work carried out - two of those pieces of work - if not carried out, would/could have lead to engine failure.

Also, I don't think anyone on this forum needs further reminding of the massive failure rate of the 991.1 GT3 engine - that is way beyond any of the early Mclaren sins. Moreover, I could raise the GT4 3rd gear problem - all 24 sold from my local dealership had their gear boxes replaced and to that barrel score and add to that ITB and the picture doesn't look that rosy. Glass houses and bricks - always ends messy.

Last edited by groundhog; 05-21-2020 at 11:23 PM.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:20 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by groundhog
All cars depreciate and as with Porsche you have to pay for a warranty extension. I'm pretty sure most of us have the investment bases covered or ownership positions that far out weigh hits associated with depreciation. It would be nice to have less but the reality is if you have the bases covered, its irrelevant.

A simple rule of thumb, if you're worried about the value or depreciation rate of your new car - you probably shouldn't have bought it in the first place.
Irrelevant or not, worried or not, the market provides objective relative information about reliability. The more reliable cars depreciate less and get their warranty extended for less. Not lighting up cigars with $100 bills doesn't necessarily mean that you don't "have your bases covered" or that you're worried about something.

Old 05-21-2020, 11:32 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Agree 100%. You are by all accounts a real enthusiast (like me) and clearly know your cars and for sure know what you are doing at the track. I could probably learn from you there for sure. My tastes in track/race cars is a little dated though.
But..in the right hands (that would exclude me) they can really motor. The "Bitch" and "Thor" below respectively at Watkins in better times. Sigh...

Fantastic - I'm guessing a bit of father son racing??? I missed out on the "muscle car" derivatives - although GM and Ford were big over here, we produced our own style - some of them pretty good too. In fact, I believe our chassis development teams ended up being moved to the US and did the chassis development for the very quick Camaros e.g. ZL1 1LE. Unfortunately Ford didn't offer the GT350/350R over here - there would have been a big market for them. Which in a way is a bit weird given that DJR Team Penske took out our national V8 Super car series in, you guessed it Mustang GTs.

If you ever get the chance checkout the Bathurst 12 hour race or the Bathurst 1000..............................both top tier motor racing at it best

Some highlights

Bentleys, AM, Mclaren, Lambo, Porsche, AMG, Audi

Last edited by groundhog; 05-22-2020 at 12:13 AM.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:47 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by groundhog
Fantastic - I'm guessing a bit of father son racing??? I missed out on the "muscle car" derivatives - although GM and Ford were big over here, we produced our own style - some of them pretty good too. In fact, I believe our chassis development teams ended up being moved to the US and did the chassis development for the very quick Camaros e.g. ZL1 1LE. Unfortunately Ford didn't offer the GT350/350R over here - there would have been a big market for them. Which in a way is a bit weird given that DJR Team Penske took out our national V8 Super car series in, you guessed it Mustang GTs.

If you ever get the chance checkout the Bathurst 12 hour race or the Bathurst 1000..............................both top tier motor racing at it best
Very perceptive! We have a blast.

Yup. Love the Bathurst races!

Old 05-22-2020, 01:54 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Now that looks like fun - just make sure you help his budget and give him your hand me down tires - you get new ones that should keep it fair

Quick Reply: McLaren Success