Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2020, 10:11 AM
hsb1001
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 119 Posts

Most of us probably drive 7 or 8 tenths of our cars ability on the track, knowing there is more in it gives me confidence as I continue to build my skills. The 765 in an average driver should be an absolute weapon on track when compared to a 2RS. Only big doubts I keep having with the Mclaren brand is the cost of maintenance for us track junkies as they mandate a pre and post inspection. I am trying to push my local dealer into some type of compromise over this as I have no interest to drive the car much on the road, even on the 600LT they mandate the pre and post and i am sure the cost of these inspections are more than the annual cost to maintain a RS?
Old 10-03-2020, 11:47 AM
Hex
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by yesyoucan
pop up some of your videos of gt3rs, 720, 600lt , etc. people shouldn’t talk so much about tracking , track ability without proving some of it with the cars that they are talking about . FWIW; I’ve significantly tracked all the cars that you guys are talking about .
Did you read my post. I was discussing sound, not tracking ability. And, I said I just bought a GT4 to do some tracking in, which I did buy, and which I will track. I don’t have to “prove” anything to you or anybody else. Who are you to tell people what they should or shouldn’t post. And, by the way, what did I say about those cars that isn’t true?

Last edited by Hex; 10-03-2020 at 12:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Unframed (10-13-2020)
Old 10-03-2020, 01:32 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,741 Likes on 5,127 Posts

Originally Posted by hsb1001
Most of us probably drive 7 or 8 tenths of our cars ability on the track, knowing there is more in it gives me confidence as I continue to build my skills. The 765 in an average driver should be an absolute weapon on track when compared to a 2RS. Only big doubts I keep having with the Mclaren brand is the cost of maintenance for us track junkies as they mandate a pre and post inspection. I am trying to push my local dealer into some type of compromise over this as I have no interest to drive the car much on the road, even on the 600LT they mandate the pre and post and i am sure the cost of these inspections are more than the annual cost to maintain a RS?
I think you either give "most of us" too much credit, or overestimate our driving ability on track.

Compared to what even a semi-pro driver can do in these cars, I would imagine "most of us" (myself definitely included) would probably be getting around 5 or 6 tenths (on a good day) by comparison.
AlexCeres (10-03-2020)
Old 10-03-2020, 02:30 PM
AllAboutThatP
Burning Brakes

Received 565 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by kkabba
I have the full Dundon (race headers, crack pipe, fancy intake) on my 991.2 GT3RS and it sounds incredible on track. But Doesn't remove any of the limitations of this platform like dead steering but obviously makes the numb experience in this car more enjoyable.

My "stock" 675LT is 2X the track car (closer to 3X actually). And the OEM sound is epic - let alone the active aero and the alien technology back in 2016 that built the suspension.

Period.
I haven’t driven a 675LT on track yet. Everyone seem to rave about how awesome it is. It’s definitely something I’d love to do at some point and see what it’s all about!
Old 10-04-2020, 01:20 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Interesting takes on the 765LT and the Senna, as well as the GT2 RS

The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
squid42 (10-05-2020), Unframed (10-13-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 12:58 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,604 Likes on 1,618 Posts

"McLaren, get your **** together".

Old 10-05-2020, 02:14 PM
hsb1001
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 119 Posts

Remember though "Mclaren on a dedicated race track vs the Ring will be considered very differently" The Ring is more of a narrow fast road, than a smaller/flatter/wider track that represents most tracks in the US for DE.
Old 10-06-2020, 02:00 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...brid-supercar/
AlexCeres (10-06-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 10:18 AM
SSO
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by AllAboutThatP
I really like it, but I'll wait to see where prices go when the spider is released. If history is a guide, there will be lots of low miles, lightly used ones on the market for a lot less than MSRP.
Not sure history is going to be a great guide going into this winter. I just finished an update on the Supercar market:Supercar Market Update Q3 2020

Last edited by SSO; 10-12-2020 at 10:20 AM.
AllAboutThatP (10-12-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 01:59 PM
neoprufrok
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by AllAboutThatP
I haven’t driven a 675LT on track yet. Everyone seem to rave about how awesome it is. It’s definitely something I’d love to do at some point and see what it’s all about!
It's incredible. I compare it to a GT4 on steroids.. it has that perfect combination of balance, feel and ability to make a bad driver feel good and a great driver feel exceptional.
zim32 (10-13-2020)
Old 10-18-2020, 12:44 AM
theunitedstates
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

Looking forward to ticking off the McLaren box with a 675LT, which I will end up taking delivery of next week.

Will I like it more than my GT3RS? I don't know.

Right now, my GT3RS was THE car. However, I told myself after reading these forums and learning from many of you who have far more vehicles/money than I have, that you need to experience them first hand and make the decision yourself. As a result, I decided I would buy a lambo, ferrari, and mclaren and see how they all compare to the GT3RS. I will be learning that over the next few years.

In the end, I think we all agree, drive the car that gets you excited. Lots of (well-received) opinions out there. For me, the rawer the car, the better,

Thanks to all of you who continue to offer insight on many different makes/models, as it helps many of us out quite a bit in figuring out their next car purchase.

Last edited by theunitedstates; 10-18-2020 at 12:46 AM.
thebishman (10-18-2020)
Old 10-18-2020, 02:59 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by theunitedstates
Looking forward to ticking off the McLaren box with a 675LT, which I will end up taking delivery of next week.

Right now, my GT3RS was THE car. However, I told myself after reading these forums and learning from many of you who have far more vehicles/money than I have, that you need to experience them first hand and make the decision yourself. As a result, I decided I would buy a lambo, ferrari, and mclaren and see how they all compare to the GT3RS. I will be learning that over the next few years.

In the end, I think we all agree, drive the car that gets you excited. Lots of (well-received) opinions out there. For me, the rawer the car, the better,

Thanks to all of you who continue to offer insight on many different makes/models, as it helps many of us out quite a bit in figuring out their next car purchase.
You're going to be SO happy, I doubt you'll sell the 675LT. All the adjectives have been used already, all the descriptors.. I'll add just that it manages to both be engaging on the road with great tactile steering and light feeling but with great power, like a lotus exige on steroids, and also immensely capable on track.. almost close to a stripped out track weapon.

few cars can offer that... GT3RS can't it's dull on the road, and can't hold a candle to 675LT on track.great choice.
theunitedstates (10-18-2020)
Old 10-18-2020, 09:33 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,492 Likes on 799 Posts

Keep us posted. I'm looking to add a 675 or scud as my next car.
Old 10-18-2020, 10:51 AM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 102 Posts

Congrats! You made a great choice. I have a 765 LT coming, but will not sell my 675LT spider. The car is stout. I drove it 300 miles to the track(round trip) then ran all day and drove home.

The car is very comfortable on the road, had to drive through PA and I swear their highways are cobblestone.

I was to lazy to load up my trailer, sucks getting old and both kids out the house to be my pit boys.

Enjoy, would love to hear your feedback.
The following 2 users liked this post by fastmd:
thebishman (10-18-2020), theunitedstates (10-18-2020)
Old 10-18-2020, 11:54 AM
bli8
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 119 Posts

Congrats! Please definitely give us your comparison between the LT and the RS. I was going to get an LT next, but ended up getting a 4 seater due to family needs. But the next car will probably be another McLaren, just not sure which one yet.

Quick Reply: McLaren Success