McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 06:37 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Ok.. first; congratulations.

Now, I really want to know about this.. is it too powerful to drive on the road, do you feel like you're barely touching the accel? Or do you love it? Give us the full robmypro rundown.. (even if hitler needs to speak for you)
Alex, you boys will get the full review as soon as it gets here. Probably two weeks. Hitler might have an opinion.

Thanks!
Old 08-11-2019, 06:43 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Waxer
Charlotte $60k
675LT Spider $310k

Dent in retirement $250k 😬

Congrats Rob! That’s a beast! 👍

What kind of discounts are they giving?
Thanks buddy. I got $10k off msrp. They might give $15k off, even $20k, but not in a specs most people want. Some of the autos with the low wing or basic interior would get $15-20k off. I had almost given up when this one popped up. It had just arrived when i reached out to them. Super pumped and somewhat terrified all at the same time.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:55 PM
robmypro
Race Director

For me it was about contrast. I wanted a second toy that was just as amazing as my GT3 but completely different at the same time.

PDK vs 7 speed manual
High reving, low torque precision scalpel vs high horsepower, high torque monster
European vs American

Both super special and super capable on the street or track. Really hard to find that level of contrast.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:14 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

A very good read on the "driving a fast car slow" conundrum, specifically related to mclarens but related to many powerful cars (and probably why a manual NA GT3 with 500hp remains "peak road car" for me)

http://www.speedhunters.com/2019/08/...tion-followed/

I honestly believe that a proper driving experience consists of three critical pillars; the first being power balance, the second being handling, and the third being driver feel and/or feedback. Most will argue that the 600LT does all three of these, and performs well doing so. But I'd argue that though that may be true on the track, it's almost too much for a road car.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:20 PM
nolocontendere
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 33 Posts

A very good read on the "driving a fast car slow" conundrum, specifically related to mclarens but related to many powerful cars (and probably why a manual NA GT3 with 500hp remains "peak road car" for me)

I honestly believe that a proper driving experience consists of three critical pillars; the first being power balance, the second being handling, and the third being driver feel and/or feedback. Most will argue that the 600LT does all three of these, and performs well doing so. But I'd argue that though that may be true on the track, it's almost too much for a road car.
Disagree. We are in the GT3RS subforum for a reason, we are looking for truly track worthy street legal cars. If we wanted base 911s we would be looking elsewhere. In any event the Mclaren’s are much more pliable on the street than the 991.2 GT3RS could ever dream to be.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:17 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Here are the things going through my mind Alex...

1. Is this car under my skin? Am i thinking about it when i am not driving it? Do i find myself reading about it, watching videos, staring at it?
2. Even before i go to grab the keys, does the anticipation of the next drive got me excited?
3. When i start the engine does the brief cranking and roar to life have me thinking “how good is this thing?”
4. Does the “sense of occasion” as i am cruising it have me thinking “How lucky am I to have this baby?”
5. How special is this car? Because that specialness tends to amplify all of the above.

Of course, looks, power, steering feel and handling all combine with the above points to make for an amazing ownership (and driving) experience. But all of the above could describe an old or new McLaren, Porsche, Ferrari, Corvette, Camaro, Mustang, Subaru, etc. Heck, my 1963 Volkswagen Bug Ragtop did this for me back in the day. So did my Demon.

I guess what i am saying Alex is the right car could have an insane amount of power, and on paper seem overpowered, yet still provide an awesome driving experience on the street. I don’t think that driving a fast car slow takes away all that much from the enjoyment of driving it. It is but one piece of the enjoyment “puzzle.” How the other pieces come together play an even bigger role imo.

It will be interesting to see what my attitude is after driving the ZR1. On paper it is totally overpowered for the street. But i suspect that won’t matter at all. I will be driving it spirited on our twisty roads, listening to that amazing v8 sound, banging through the gears, totally engaged and smiling the entire time, converting dinosaurs into exhaust pops and burbles.

BTW, one of the many reasons I bought a ZR1 was because of reports that the new c8 Z06 and ZR1 will be turbos. No thank you.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:34 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 431 Likes on 255 Posts

^

And yet the ZR1 is also a FI vehicle? What’s the issue with a TT set-up?
Old 08-12-2019, 01:49 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by thebishman
^

And yet the ZR1 is also a FI vehicle? What’s the issue with a TT set-up?
I drove a Z06 that was also Supercharged and there is just no lag. It felt just as responsive as my GT3. I have never been in a turbo engine that felt natural to me. There is always lag.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:15 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,032 Likes on 5,242 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
I drove a Z06 that was also Supercharged and there is just no lag. It felt just as responsive as my GT3. I have never been in a turbo engine that felt natural to me. There is always lag.
I've driven a C7 ZR1, and while there's no noticeable throttle lag, there is noticeable lag from the TC kicking it.

I feel really sorry for rear tires on a front engine car putting out 700+ hp.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:16 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I've driven a C7 ZR1, and while there's no noticeable throttle lag, there is noticeable lag from the TC kicking it.

LOL

Tires will be expensive.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:19 PM
robmypro
Race Director

The thing about the supercharger is that it is linear. That makes a huge difference. I never once even thought about FI while driving that Z06. The sound was really good too. And those two facts pretty much eliminate turbo engines for me.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:25 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,032 Likes on 5,242 Posts

The thing about the supercharger is that it is linear. That makes a huge difference. I never once even thought about FI while driving that Z06. The sound was really good too. And those two facts pretty much eliminate turbo engines for me.
The beauty of the ZR1 supercharger is that the V8 block in that car is so loud you can't hear the supercharger whine, which is what really turns me off of superchargers (even tho I know many die-hard American muscle car guys love that whine ...)
Old 08-12-2019, 02:27 PM
robmypro
Race Director

The beauty of the ZR1 supercharger is that the V8 block in that car is so loud you can't hear the supercharger whine, which is what really turns me off of superchargers (even tho I know many die-hard American muscle car guys love that whine ...)
I hear you. The whine in the Demon and Hellcat are just not for me.
Old 08-12-2019, 04:55 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 431 Likes on 255 Posts

Find a friend with, or a dealership with a used one, and take a drive in an AMG GTR. There is essentially no lag to speak of. Mine ‘spools up’ as quickly as my ‘15 Z06 ever did. One of the benefits of a ‘hot V’ configuration.

Granted the new C8 Z06 and ZR1 when they’re released will have versions of the 4.2 litre Cadillac Blackwing TT engine which isn’t a ‘hot-V’ set-up, but with a DCT instead of a manual or slow(er) TC automatic, I bet lag will be minimal there also.

Bish
Old 08-12-2019, 08:03 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,338 Likes on 704 Posts

All turbos, even modern turbo cars have lag that is annoying to me other than the 488.

Driven recent turbo Mercedes, BMW, Mclaren, Porsche. Lag is less than it used to be for sure, but still noticeable and annoying to me.

GTR has lag. Or at least it did when I drive one In February.

Quick Reply: McLaren Success