Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 04:54 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,269 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by carrera911me
Any details on why you think it's crap? The only way I would use crap and Mclaren in the same sentence is: Mclarens beat the crap out of any other cars on the road.
Well said. Nothing crap about the engine whatsoever. The car is a beast -no other way to say it.
Old 08-08-2019, 05:21 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,745 Likes on 5,128 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
Well said. Nothing crap about the engine whatsoever. The car is a beast -no other way to say it.
The only thing one can knock the McLaren engine for is that it's not made in-house, or even developed in-house.

But that said, focusing too much on that issue is sort of like never buying an Armani suit because they source their fabrics from Zegna. #GetALife
Old 08-08-2019, 06:38 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
The only thing one can knock the McLaren engine for is that it's not made in-house, or even developed in-house.

But that said, focusing too much on that issue is sort of like never buying an Armani suit because they source their fabrics from Zegna. #GetALife
So does Tom Ford, so does everyone else. Its a lame talking point. Engine is just fine.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:31 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 437 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

The only thing one can knock is that Macca engine is obsolete since long time

After all Macca is a small factory, they don t have Porsche/Lambo money nor Ferrari genius, that makes their engine crap cheap design and the car a real parts bin one

not expecting that travested dealers or ignorants with cash will understand technicalities, after all this was an artificially inflated thread starting from its title and until a certain point, anyway as said from this crap they will go straight to battery and another crap, call it money saving

Last edited by fxz; 08-09-2019 at 01:52 AM.
Old 08-09-2019, 02:08 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fxz
The only thing one can knock is that Macca engine is obsolete since long time

After all Macca is a small factory, they don t have Porsche/Lambo money nor Ferrari genius, that makes their engine crap cheap design and the car a real parts bin one

not expecting that travested dealers or ignorants with cash will understand technicalities, after all this was an artificially inflated thread starting from its title and until a certain point, anyway as said from this crap they will go straight to battery and another crap, call it money saving
Ignorants with cash. Yeah- real nice.

owned a Ferrari 488, have a Pista on order, owned a 3rs, touring and many others. The 720 is the best car I’ve owned hands down.

but Porsche fan boys like you wouldn’t understand.

Myopic zealot.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:39 AM
carrera911me
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

So what you're saying is that their obsolete engine beats the crap out of engines from companies that are cash rich such as Porsche, ferarri .. how embarrassing.

Competition is good. You should really try to be more objective.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:28 AM
richk
Drifting

Received 883 Likes on 366 Posts

Just buy what you like best and drive it alot.

For me its the 2016RS. It ticks every box every time I drive it.

I have been thinking about a second gt car. I like the 488 spider but I am actually leaning towards a GT3T.

My 18 year old...thinks I would love the 600LT. I am going to try and drive one in the next couple of weeks.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:25 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
Ignorants with cash. Yeah- real nice.

owned a Ferrari 488, have a Pista on order, owned a 3rs, touring and many others. The 720 is the best car I’ve owned hands down.

but Porsche fan boys like you wouldn’t understand.

Myopic zealot.
I applaud you for responding, and it’s a shame because we’re all car people. If people bother to read the first post that I created, and by the way I’m a Porsche homer/wouldn’t buy another brand. My point Porsche and other manufactures would run into a competitor that has been known for reliability issues, but only building road cars since 2012. With that said they’ve made Ferrari build better and faster cars ......ummm pushed the competition. Try calling Porsche and getting PTS ......well beg for it. You go to MAC, and you order what you want which is the way it should be since you are the customer. I clearly stated I wouldn’t touch a MAC met the dealer who’s great, frequently ask how’s the car, invites me to invents they’re sponsoring ......by the way I bought a used car. Car has a warranty so I’m sure it will get fixed if it breaks.

I will always have a RS in my garage it’s the best in the business, and Porsche makes a great car. I’ve said this before when Porsche started costing north of 200k they have moved into a new price point where they’re better options available. I’m testing the water with the 685LT, and so far it’s passing the test. It’s a 2016 model, and will destroy most things being built today. 2900 lbs with 666 BHP enough said with a carbon tub. They will get better, and make Porsche better for all us. But, I’m just an idiot that takes advantage of choices vs having a narrow view in life.
The following 3 users liked this post by Maverick787:
sattman (08-09-2019), StealthGT3 (08-09-2019), thebishman (08-09-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 11:07 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maverick787
I applaud you for responding, and it’s a shame because we’re all car people. If people bother to read the first post that I created, and by the way I’m a Porsche homer/wouldn’t buy another brand. My point Porsche and other manufactures would run into a competitor that has been known for reliability issues, but only building road cars since 2012. With that said they’ve made Ferrari build better and faster cars ......ummm pushed the competition. Try calling Porsche and getting PTS ......well beg for it. You go to MAC, and you order what you want which is the way it should be since you are the customer. I clearly stated I wouldn’t touch a MAC met the dealer who’s great, frequently ask how’s the car, invites me to invents they’re sponsoring ......by the way I bought a used car. Car has a warranty so I’m sure it will get fixed if it breaks.

I will always have a RS in my garage it’s the best in the business, and Porsche makes a great car. I’ve said this before when Porsche started costing north of 200k they have moved into a new price point where they’re better options available. I’m testing the water with the 685LT, and so far it’s passing the test. It’s a 2016 model, and will destroy most things being built today. 2900 lbs with 666 BHP enough said with a carbon tub. They will get better, and make Porsche better for all us. But, I’m just an idiot that takes advantage of choices vs having a narrow view in life.
Im a car enthusiast and not a brand apologist. I enjoy driving cars, not being a homer like some of these people. They way they are so protective towards their brand and dismissive of others is as if they are on the brands payroll. I applaud you for starting this thread and your love for the RS. I miss mine and will have another in the garage in the future. the 675 is a great car - Ive driven one briefly recently and was impressed. Mac is obviously doing something right with their parts bin as their cars just destroy the competition. But that doesnt mean this is a zero sum game.

Mac can build great cars, so can Ferrari, so can porsche. But to toss out insults like "ignorants with cash" about those people who prefer another brand to Porsche is childish and immature. Lame in a word.
The following 5 users liked this post by Yippiekiaye:
carrera911me (08-09-2019), M. Beckenbauer (08-09-2019), Maverick787 (08-09-2019), odwa (08-09-2019), tgibrit (08-09-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 12:15 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

And still no details of what constitutes a "crap engine" in the McLaren.......
Old 08-09-2019, 02:08 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
I would consider a Msc the day they will trash that crap turbo engine for a modern turbo but I guess to save money they will go straight to hybrid with another crap engine
I think this is totally unfair to state. Merely because an engine may be outdated doesn't make it crap.
Case in point Mezger. Outdated. Crap?
There are many other examples. Many.
Old 08-09-2019, 02:25 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 286 Likes on 131 Posts

What's wrong with an initial Nissan Racing engine, then re-engineered by TWR for Indy carts, then acquired by McLaren with support of Ricardo and ilmor?

It is a masterpiece, and I have driven the weakest one (12c) and the strongest regular production one (720S), and they are amazing. Neither 720s or 570s have gone limp on me, only the 12c and 650s on the same racetrack after a few laps on 90s weather. It is a good engine.

Aerodynamics are fantastic. The 720S produces more downforce than every Porsche GT3RS/GT2RS prior to the 991 generation, and only the 991 GT3RS and 991 GT2RS produce more downforce. The 720S produces more downforce than the 600LT.

McLaren consulted with ProDrive for improvement on the Carbon Ceramic brakes, Prodrive made parts for this car.

Graziano produced an amazingly light DCT. Maybe not as quick as the GT3RS PDK, but quicker than most DCTs out there, and dependable.

The McLarens have exotic looks, they don't look plain at all.

Suspension development and steering feel (especially the 570S) is just impressive.

The 720S pulls stronger than the GT2RS, and the GT2RS is already a monster car on acceleration from a roll.
The following users liked this post:
carrera911me (08-09-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 02:29 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by f00kie
I'm not sure if there is a better McLaren-oriented forum or not...but this seems like an active community. I don't have the means of most of you in this thread, but am considering an upgrade from my 981 Cayman GTS (either in addition to, or to replace) with either the 570S/GT/Spyder (used) or the new rumored twin-turbo V6 hybrid replacement that could be announced in December. I daily my cars, so reliability is important, but the more I think about it, the more dropping $250K on a car on top of my perfectly capable Porsche is seeming ludicrous (and potentially problematic with the reliability... not to mention higher-than-average depreciation). I LOVE driving cars, and I like the more aggressive styling of McLaren's, but I don't track my cars anymore.

Is a base McLaren right for me? Anyone have any insights on the new entry level hybrids?
Let the first owner take the hit and buy a used one with warranty. Not tracking so no worries there. It was fun to track mine until I took my first track day in my new GT3. The 570S is a boat load of fun, but not a track car.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:10 PM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Received 712 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by A/S
What's wrong with an initial Nissan Racing engine, then re-engineered by TWR for Indy carts, then acquired by McLaren with support of Ricardo and ilmor?

It is a masterpiece, and I have driven the weakest one (12c) and the strongest regular production one (720S), and they are amazing. Neither 720s or 570s have gone limp on me, only the 12c and 650s on the same racetrack after a few laps on 90s weather. It is a good engine.

Aerodynamics are fantastic. The 720S produces more downforce than every Porsche GT3RS/GT2RS prior to the 991 generation, and only the 991 GT3RS and 991 GT2RS produce more downforce. The 720S produces more downforce than the 600LT.

McLaren consulted with ProDrive for improvement on the Carbon Ceramic brakes, Prodrive made parts for this car.

Graziano produced an amazingly light DCT. Maybe not as quick as the GT3RS PDK, but quicker than most DCTs out there, and dependable.

The McLarens have exotic looks, they don't look plain at all.

Suspension development and steering feel (especially the 570S) is just impressive.

The 720S pulls stronger than the GT2RS, and the GT2RS is already a monster car on acceleration from a roll.
My 3 year old 675LT feels like it accelerates harder (from a roll) than my GT2 RS, which makes sense given that it's lighter by 300 lbs with only a 25 HP deficit.

It also steers better, sounds better, is more fun to drive and generally looks and feels more exotic. Not to mention 3-4X more rare. I've said it before, the 675LT is a bargain.
The following 3 users liked this post by Scrappy1972:
carrera911me (08-09-2019), Catorce (08-09-2019), Yippiekiaye (08-09-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 04:25 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

It will be very interesting to see what happens with the value and pricing of these cars when the C8 Z06 hits the ground. I am willing to bet that the C8 Z06 will outperform every McLaren except the Senna and will out perform the Pista, Huracans and Ford GT, and Porsche GT cars. I am already first on the list for one.

Quick Reply: McLaren Success