Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2020, 02:58 AM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

Would personally love to see a Lotus Evija with "just" a 550 hp n/a engine. Sign me up
Old 04-23-2020, 03:31 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,018 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
Would personally love to see a Lotus Evija with "just" a 550 hp n/a engine. Sign me up
The Lotus 420 Cup was excellent, weighed 1100kg and was super dialled - the build quality, however wasn't there. So not sure how they are going to be able to produce the Evija to a reasonable standard. Sadly I think it'll end up being a "show bag" looks great on the outside but is **** on the inside.

Old 04-23-2020, 04:57 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,089 Likes on 386 Posts

Geeky have transformed Volvo spectacularly . They will do the same with Lotus.
Old 04-23-2020, 10:28 AM
SSO
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
Agreed, and that’s why I put all of those cars together.

Aston Martin Valkyrie - Will happen
Mercdes AMG Project One - There is uncertainty now, which stems from (1) significant delays related to the power unit and (2) the chance that Merc may depart F1 before the car sees the light of day
Lotus Evija - I think this car is stunning aesthetically, but I doubt they would be able to sell many
Pininfarina Battista - Nope
Rimac - Better chance than Pininfarina; Porsche owns a piece of Rimac and the company won’t fold
Gordon Murray T50 - Fingers crossed; Gordon wouldn’t compromise on the car’s ethos, so it will either happen as he intends or not at all
Hennessy Venom F5 - Goodbye
I think the current situation gives Merc the perfect excuse to walk away from the Project One and they will likely take it. A $1mil+ Lotus was never going to be a good idea, no matter how great the design. On the Pininfaria Battista, I think it would have had more of a chance if they had dropped a V12 in the back.
Old 04-23-2020, 05:24 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by SSO
I think the current situation gives Merc the perfect excuse to walk away from the Project One and they will likely take it. A $1mil+ Lotus was never going to be a good idea, no matter how great the design. On the Pininfaria Battista, I think it would have had more of a chance if they had dropped a V12 in the back.
Agreed on all points, in particular the Project One. I saw the car over two years ago at Amelia Island (and it wasn’t brand new then)!

Meanwhile: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-d...-idUSKCN2243IH

German car and truck maker Daimler (DAIGn.DE) reported a plunge of nearly 70% in first-quarter operating profit on Thursday due to the coronavirus pandemic and warned that the cash flow it uses to pay dividends would fall this year.
Old 04-23-2020, 06:39 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,529 Likes on 5,056 Posts

Old 04-23-2020, 10:22 PM
TAch Miami
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SSO
At the 2018 Amelia, I thought the Mercedes One was already sold out at $2.7 mil so they should be going ahead with the run. It does look a bit dated already. The Lotus from this years Amelia could be a tough sell at $2.5 mil, but did look good.

Old 04-23-2020, 11:01 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,529 Likes on 5,056 Posts

Ferrari
McLaren
Lamborghini
Bugatti

Koenigsegg
Pagani

Aston Martin Valkyrie
Mercdes AMG Project One
Lotus Evija
Pininfarina Battista
Rimac
Gordon Murray T50
Hennessy Venom F5

Just a quick list above of OEMs making cars that hope to command 7 figure pricing... good luck!
With the exception of Pagani, the marques with strong corporate backing will not pull back on special halo 1M+ offerings.
Old 04-23-2020, 11:35 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

If stock markets take the recent lows and go lower from there, none of these will be made.
Old 04-24-2020, 09:20 AM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 110 Posts

I haven’t seen this posted.

A interesting opinion on the future of Mclaren

Old 04-24-2020, 10:43 AM
SSO
Instructor

Originally Posted by fskof

https://youtu.be/k0uUqUXaPJ4
I would not put much stock in what he says. Call it tabloid youtubeism.
Old 04-24-2020, 12:38 PM
Guest89
Drifting

https://investors.mclaren.com/sites/...ion-fy2019.pdf

McLaren 2019 financial results; I have not read it yet, but will later today
Old 04-24-2020, 01:24 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Originally Posted by fskof

https://youtu.be/k0uUqUXaPJ4
Originally Posted by SSO
I would not put much stock in what he says. Call it tabloid youtubeism.
I watched the video, and I think he makes some interesting points (he’s in the UK):

McLaren ramped up production and proliferation of a model line quickly

He claims that McLaren pushes cars to dealers to collect cash for them and punch them as sold units

He discusses the Elva production number embarrassment, as we have in this thread; also discusses an apparent identity crisis in the brand’s corporate strategy - are they a manufacturer of mass produced but still exotic cars that are capable (reliable) enough to be operated as a primary vehicle / daily driver? Or are they a purveyor of high end automotive art (i.e., “hypercars” - P1, Senna, Speedtail, Elva all in a relatively short period) that competes with Koenigsegg, Pagani, etc.?

He discusses customer disappointment with resale value (hard to retain people in the brand if secondary values are soft ... it gets expensive to lose six figures on a car every time you buy one!)

He discusses the reluctance of finance companies to work with McLaren surrounding inflated “Guaranteed Future Values” devised to move units (I believe this is a UK-specific scheme)

The headline title is somewhat clickbait, but he does a measured job of presenting some apparent strategic shortcomings - I enjoyed watching it
Old 04-24-2020, 03:20 PM
SSO
Instructor

I watched the video, and I think he makes some interesting points (he’s in the UK):

McLaren ramped up production and proliferation of a model line quickly

He claims that McLaren pushes cars to dealers to collect cash for them and punch them as sold units

He discusses the Elva production number embarrassment, as we have in this thread; also discusses an apparent identity crisis in the brand’s corporate strategy - are they a manufacturer of mass produced but still exotic cars that are capable (reliable) enough to be operated as a primary vehicle / daily driver? Or are they a purveyor of high end automotive art (i.e., “hypercars” - P1, Senna, Speedtail, Elva all in a relatively short period) that competes with Koenigsegg, Pagani, etc.?

He discusses customer disappointment with resale value (hard to retain people in the brand if secondary values are soft ... it gets expensive to lose six figures on a car every time you buy one!)

He discusses the reluctance of finance companies to work with McLaren surrounding inflated “Guaranteed Future Values” devised to move units (I believe this is a UK-specific scheme)

The headline title is somewhat clickbait, but he does a measured job of presenting some apparent strategic shortcomings - I enjoyed watching it
Title is definitely click bait. Everything he discusses/presents as fact was probably pulled from various threads on pistonheads. A bit of its true, a lot of its opinion, and his fact checking is abysmal (see his comment about Ferrari and 399 Enzos). He clearly doesn't have any inside information nor has he done any in-depth research.
Old 04-24-2020, 03:33 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,450 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by SSO
Title is definitely click bait. Everything he discusses/presents as fact was probably pulled from various threads on pistonheads. A bit of its true, a lot of its opinion, and his fact checking is abysmal (see his comment about Ferrari and 399 Enzos). He clearly doesn't have any inside information nor has he done any in-depth research.
Probably got some of his info from this thread
The following users liked this post:
pdxjim (04-24-2020)

Quick Reply: McLaren Success