McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2019, 11:22 PM
zim32
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NSD991
Cheaper just to buy 1 year at a time
True...but service advisor said prices have been steadily increasing for McLaren extended warranties as cars age, which has proven to be true over the last year. So I decided to lock in for 2 years as I know the 675LT is a keeper for me.
As much as I enjoy my GT3 RS....the 675LT is a big step up in every way...street or track.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:32 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by zim32
True...but service advisor said prices have been steadily increasing for McLaren extended warranties as cars age, which has proven to be true over the last year. So I decided to lock in for 2 years as I know the 675LT is a keeper for me.
As much as I enjoy my GT3 RS....the 675LT is a big step up in every way...street or track.
“big step up” must be subjective as to you since objective track performance data certainly doesn’t support that statement at all.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:36 PM
kkabba
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
“big step up” must be subjective as to you since objective track performance data certainly doesn’t support that statement at all.
There is more to the driving experience than numbers. I would highly suggest you try to grab a 675 and take it for a ride or on track - then pls share your thoughts with us.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:41 PM
zim32
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Didn’t mean to hurt your feelings...lol
As for the “objective data”...I agree that in professional hands the Porsche can turn competitive lap times....but for the average amateur or even highly skilled amateur at any racetrack...the 675 is a good deal quicker. I have personally experienced that fact and have witnessed the same with other drivers.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:36 AM
kkabba
Racer

As for the “objective data”...I agree that in professional hands the Porsche can turn competitive lap times....but for the average amateur or even highly skilled amateur at any racetrack...the 675 is a good deal quicker. I have personally experienced that fact and have witnessed the same with other drivers.
Water needs some real time experience in a 675
Old 08-25-2019, 12:45 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,529 Likes on 5,056 Posts

Just a bit of context.

Those lap times between the 991 GT3RS and/or GT2 RS versus the 675LT are comparing cars that are at least 2 if not 3 years newer than the 675LT, with corresponding improvements in tire technology.

Just something to consider when comparing lap times.
Old 08-25-2019, 01:12 AM
kkabba
Racer

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Just a bit of context.

Those lap times between the 991 GT3RS and/or GT2 RS versus the 675LT are comparing cars that are at least 2 if not 3 years newer than the 675LT, with corresponding improvements in tire technology.

Just something to consider when comparing lap times.
Waxer - comparing a 3RS to a 675 is like comparing a new base boxter with a 997rs 4.0.

Just go and drive one pls....and then pls let us know why you agree it's super epic??
Old 08-25-2019, 01:35 AM
nolocontendere
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by kkabba
Waxer needs some real time experience in a 675
Just to provide some initial thoughts to help provide some insight, as an advanced driver/ club racer who doesn’t get to the track much anymore here are my initial thoughts between the 675LT spider and the 2019 GT3RS:

GT3RS: great looking street legal race car that provides the most visceral racecar like experience for the street. Unbelievably great engine sound. Very fast, but the experience is so visceral you never feel like you are wanting for more power. Extremely stiff chassis that hops and skips over road irregularities and bumps. Not a car to be driven hard by the faint of heart. The skips and hops will unsettle you. The carbon buckets are the best seats I have been in. I personally love everything about the car. I think I would be faster in the GT3RS on a technical track like MSR Cresson, but would be surprised if it were faster on a high speed track like COTA. PDK is best transmission I have experienced and I love the whip cracks on shifts.

675LT spider: one of the most beautiful cars I have ever seen. Looks so good in person. True exotic. My girlfriend says it is her favorite car in the whole world. Both my children like it better than the gt3RS (which they liked better than my former 570S, by the way). Unbelievably fast. Visibility is perfect. Driving position is perfect. Buckets are great but slightly less so than the GT3RS. Sounds great but not as good as the GT3RS. Transmission is great but just shy of the gt3RS, although instead of whip cracks in shifts you get rifle shots! Unbelievably light and agile yet smooth at the same time. Never feels too stiff. Doesn’t get unsettled like the gt3RS on the street. Easy to drive fast as long as you are used to driving a car that is this fast. This is the biggest difference. It is just so fast yet nimble and smooth at the same time. Much faster than the gt3rs. Perfect balance. I absolutely would expect this car to be faster on track except in the hands of the most capable drivers, and I would expect there would be tracks the 675LT would be faster even with the best drivers. Fighter jet like cockpit with central analog tach just like the GT3RS. Having all this is a spider package is almost too good to be true. Also, with top raised looks like a coupe and you can lower the rear window to let in all the sound! Ingress/egress slightly more difficult than the GT3RS with buckets but to me it simply sets the stage for the driving experience you are about to embark on. Active aero is extremely cool and functional, but does obstruct rearward visibility when the tail is at lift. The 675LT spider is the perfect complement to the GT3RS, having all these attributes in a topless package makes it unbeatable, however, in my view.

While i I love them both and can’t imagine parting with either, if I could only have one, I would choose the 675LT spider without question.
The following users liked this post:
Gary(SF) (08-25-2019)
Old 08-25-2019, 02:19 AM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Received 700 Likes on 330 Posts

Last edited by Scrappy1972; 08-25-2019 at 08:03 AM.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:48 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Feelings hurt? Nope. Lol. Takes more than that to make me cry when by any measure the 3RS is considered an epic machine across the board. The use of the comparison between a new base Boxster and a 4.0RS has me stumped but regardless..

Yeah, having driven the 650S I can understand the seat of the pants reaction. I get it. Tires? I doubt any 675LT is still running around on 3 year old rubber.

As to non-pro time comparisons...see attached.

As to which is more exciting to drive or enjoyable...see each respective owner who has his own opinion. I liked the 650S. I’m sure and can imagine 675LT. I get it. Wouldn’t trade my RS for one. No way. Would add them if not for cost of ownership which sadly is ridiculous imho.

Old 08-25-2019, 03:09 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

I don’t think the new ZR1 is running around on old tire technology..

Last edited by Waxer; 08-25-2019 at 03:26 AM.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:25 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

...or the new Ford GT either.

Old 08-25-2019, 08:35 AM
kkabba
Racer

...or the new Ford GT either.

Waxer - this is a McLaren thread that has focused recently on the 675LT and it's driving impressions.

et.

Since you haven't gotten an opportunity to drive the 675 perhaps instead of just cut an paste numbers from the internet, share with us your 650 driving impressions (like comparing base 991 with a GT) please go find a 675 and then share your thoughts?

We get how much you like your 3RS - likely the best car you ever drove/owned - but there are other experiences out there and folks I believe are trying to understand what it's like to drive/own 675 on this thread - got knows hundreds of other threads on here with how great 3RS is.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:23 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,092 Likes on 1,009 Posts

I hate to see this thread get off the rails, and when I started it definitely I was not a fan of the brand. However, I did make make some comparisons on the 650 which I drove on the track. But I was curious to what brands was McLaren’s growth coming from, and back them it appeared off Lambo, and Ferrari simply due to price point. Now Porsche has stepped in the 300k price range with GT2RS, and crazy optioned GT3’s plus ADM in the beginning you had some defection. McLaren has been making cars for the road since 2012, and what they’ve accomplished in insane.

When I drove the 675LT my view it’s a very capable car 2900 same weight has my old Porsche Boxster Spyder. Car has gobs of power, and looks are stunning, brakes very good vs the 650 which scared me above 180mph. I sold my Ferrari 458, and very happy with the trade .....would have make the same trade had I owned the 488. I’ve heard ownership cost it’s the same a Ferrari when you need a warranty outside of the OEM expiration.

My next step is to drive the 675LT at Road Atlanta which is the test, and the RS is a beast in that world hands down. The 675T is a fun car and can ride supple on the street. The first sports car I’ve owned and the wife didn’t complain once driving 100 miles ....yes sports buckets. I’ve learned from this experience to compare what I drive vs read online because I was a MAC hater. If I had to only keep one minus cost of ownership it would be the 675LT it goes with the price of enjoyment. However, I’m blessed to keep them all I rack it up as fun and I can’t take it with me last I checked. Lastly, Ferrari, Lambo, and Porsche has competition and they’ve been pushed into a horse power war with Mclaren, and the other 3 can compete on weight. Mclaren gets better at reliability the car game will be interesting. I’m testing the water now and it taste pretty good. Let me be clear I will always have an RS in my garage, that new 992 not so sure just not a fan of the car. My first Porsche experience was the 991’s because the look, and all around performance did it for me, and with that said the 675LT is a fine looking car that does so many things well/my wife likes it(: See they look happy together .........

Last edited by Maverick787; 08-25-2019 at 02:06 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Maverick787:
007DT (08-25-2019), Gary(SF) (08-25-2019), thebishman (08-25-2019)
Old 08-25-2019, 10:36 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

Although the McLaren 675LT is one of my favorite cars and I think the value is amazing on the used ones for sale now, I just fear the cost of ownership. All the GT3/GT3RS cars I have owned (5 total) have been 100% reliable excluding a RMS leak on my 997.1 RS fixed under warranty. When I go to sell them I get nearly back MSRP and service costs are extremely reasonable as I take it to a Porsche performance shop and not the dealer. Overall the last three GT cars I’ve had are the cheapest cars I’ve ever owned (taxes aside as I live in Virginia) and that includes my literally every car I’ve had.

Quick Reply: McLaren Success