Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 09:19 PM
Bill_76
Pro

Received 515 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by nolocontendere
The issue is when people assert opinion as fact without a reasonable basis for the opinion. I have no issue with someone believing car XXX is better than mclaren YYY as long as they have actually driven both.

As soon as I drove a mclaren for the first time I had to have one. Completely lost all interest in my Carrera.

Now the GT3RS, that's a different story.
I drove a 570S, good power and handling, but too much lag and didn't like the brakes feeling having to press so hard. I love the exterior design but the interior plastics, carpets and media screen quality looks like a $40/50k car, took a look on meeting to some used ones and you start to find gaps in the joins of rubbers and carpets etc.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:17 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
I agree - i hate all turbos to include the Ferrari F40 (sounds terrible and drives like crap), the 288 GTO, all Mclaren's ever built (including the 600LT, 675LT and the Senna), the new Ferrari Stradale phhh, and all modern 8 cylinder Ferrari's (all going Turbo), the Gt2RS, 959. Actually come to think of it - i like all those cars..

Never mind..........................
And i haven’t driven any of those cars so feel free to ignore my opinion.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:53 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 854 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
And i haven’t driven any of those cars so feel free to ignore my opinion.
NEVER

The following users liked this post:
robmypro (08-14-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 10:54 PM
yesyoucan
Racer

Received 216 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
In that case everyone should add that at the beginning of each post, because we are all expressing our opinions here. But we don't need to, because it's implied and accepted as such by definition of our participation in a "forum" .. which if you ever studied Latin you'd understand to be...

Attachment 1307531
I don't know...

I'm of the opinion that if one's opinion doesn't count in real life (or rather no one cares; manufactures, dealers, sales people, car engineers, other enthusiasts, etc.) then a person should temper down their opinion in car forums... or at least get some credibility of how you arrived at that opinion (especially when you are comparing cars that are NOWHERE near the same price point).
Old 08-13-2019, 11:13 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 883 Likes on 366 Posts

^fully agree...this entire site could be tempered down alot!

Used to be alot more relevant discussion without all the bias and animus.

I think there are alot of great choices. Buy what you want and drive it.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:28 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by dewilmoth
+1. And it's a ridiculous opinion.
...and that’s an opinion too which some will think ridiculous.

Just Google Pete Stout 987.2 Spyder. Pete’s a huge fan of the 987.2 Spyder.

Cars don’t have to have 675 hp and cost $250k+ to check all the right boxes to be epic sports cars.

https://www.excellence-mag.com/issue...s/spyder-sense

Last edited by Waxer; 08-14-2019 at 12:10 AM.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:06 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by yesyoucan
I don't know...

I'm of the opinion that if one's opinion doesn't count in real life (or rather no one cares; manufactures, dealers, sales people, car engineers, other enthusiasts, etc.) then a person should temper down their opinion in car forums... or at least get some credibility of how you arrived at that opinion (especially when you are comparing cars that are NOWHERE near the same price point).
Does this opinion count in real life?
Old 08-14-2019, 12:26 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by yesyoucan
I don't know...

So who decides which opinions “count in real life”? ... and what does that even mean? Lol.

What does price point have to do with opinions on which cars are “better road cars” or “more enjoyable” road cars? Your criteria or the guy buying his car?

So then I guess a guy who can drop $$$$ on a P1 enjoys his weekend drive more than someone who buys a $60k to $80k Porsche Spyder?. Didn’t know that or that this was a “real life opinion”.

Anyway I’m of the opinion your opinion is ridiculous. Is that a real life opinion? Yeah. I think so so you should temper down your opinions from now on.

Thank you.

Real Life Opinion Monitor.

Old 08-14-2019, 12:35 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 854 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer

Anyway I’m of the opinion your opinion is ridiculous. Is that a real life opinion? Yeah. I think so so you should temper down your opinions from now on.

Thank you.

Real Life Opinion Monitor.

That's some good **** right there...
Old 08-14-2019, 01:04 AM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Received 712 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Your Spyder is a MUCH better backroads car than any McLaren or any other supercar for that matter. I wouldn’t replace it. But if you decide to get rid of it, PM me the specs and price.
Not so sure about that. The Spyder is similar to a GT4 and those keys don’t get a second look when I’m choosing a car to take on my local back roads. It feels less sharp and downright slow compared to my 675 LT. Spirited driving in the LT with traction control turned off is a engaging experience and not for the faint of heart. The GT4 is a ***** cat and a car that I’ve used mainly for longer road trips.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:47 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 437 Likes on 262 Posts

^not sure, i am struggling into Macca or F or Lambo forums to find what they say in their Porsche "success" subthreads
Old 08-14-2019, 09:37 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Scrappy1972
Not so sure about that. The Spyder is similar to a GT4 and those keys don’t get a second look when I’m choosing a car to take on my local back roads. It feels less sharp and downright slow compared to my 675 LT. Spirited driving in the LT with traction control turned off is a engaging experience and not for the faint of heart. The GT4 is a ***** cat and a car that I’ve used mainly for longer road trips.
Spyder is similar in chassis and drive train but it stops there. Totally different experience. Guys with both more often than not give up the GT4 and keep the Spyder.

Here are are some Stout statements from Pete right on this from. One is in response to someone contemplating selling his 997 GT3.

Sure it doesn’t provide the hair on fire acceleration of a 675LT which is a world class performer but it goes about its business in delivery of fun and enjoyment in a different way which is more than the sum of its parts somehow. Probably explains why almost 10 years on nice examples still fetch msrp or more.

Mine has the mt which is a nice change up from the PDK in the RS.

Last edited by Waxer; 08-14-2019 at 10:00 AM.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:24 AM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 286 Likes on 131 Posts

Are there mechanical engine/turbo differences between the 12C/650S/675LT and the 570S/570GT/600LT engines?

It seems like McLaren sets power targets with the ECU tunes (learning tricks from the boosted Italian press cars, but sharing the tunes with the consumers in the case of McLaren).
Old 08-14-2019, 12:03 PM
shewu
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by A/S
Are there mechanical engine/turbo differences between the 12C/650S/675LT and the 570S/570GT/600LT engines?

It seems like McLaren sets power targets with the ECU tunes (learning tricks from the boosted Italian press cars, but sharing the tunes with the consumers in the case of McLaren).
Yes:

570 cars have "thirty percent of parts redesigned". I don't believe that the 600LT engine is further upgraded; it has an upgraded cooling system and the dragon butt exhaust.

Finally, the P1 has a modified engine block to accommodate the hybrid powertrain.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:19 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by shewu
Yes:

570 cars have "thirty percent of parts redesigned". I don't believe that the 600LT engine is further upgraded; it has an upgraded cooling system and the dragon butt exhaust.

Finally, the P1 has a modified engine block to accommodate the hybrid powertrain.
I own both 12c and 570S and I am not 100% sure if there are parts unique to each one. Besides the 600LT with it's deck lid exhaust I'm pretty certain the engines and trans are the same. Although there is a rumor that the 570S Graziano SSG is a "version 2" gearbox, no one can really confirm this and I suspect software is why it shifts so much faster than in my 12c

You have to remember that the 12C has 616 HP and the 675LT has 666hp, and that 50 hp is most likely accomplished by tuning the ECU rather than having any unique parts within the powertrain.

I will say that the 12c and 570s do feel sufficiently different from each other though, especially for cars that share the same motor / trans

Quick Reply: McLaren Success