Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 09:48 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
In my next life i want to be just like unotaz.
We all do lol

Originally Posted by Waxer
Imagine that. A Porsche GT owner waxing poetic about it on a Porsche forum. Very odd. Lol.

I own exotics. I haven’t denigrated them except to point out Macs rep as to reliability.

Oh..and +1 as to Unotazs post.

👍
I think if you had your own thread about it you wouldn't have heard from me, not that my opinion matters anyway, but I am scratching my head as to why you'd post on here bashing McLaren without any first hand experience rather than let the owners speak for themselves

Originally Posted by unotaz
It's not ridiculous because it's the same analogy. Corvette offers big performance but it cuts corners on materials. Actually come to think of it, you are right. Mclaren is not like Corvettes because Corvettes are MUCH MORE reliable than Mclaren's

Lambo do use carbon tub in its mass production model, it's called the Aventador.

There are no free lunch in life. Until Mclaren figures out how to build its cars better, and perhaps offer better materials in its cars through either price adjustment or additional cross-sharing of components across its model range, I will stick to my analogy. Mclaren, great performance cars, but come at a price.
I will wholeheartedly agree that McLarens do depreciate, and are in all likelihood not as reliable as Porsche. And I'd argue the same for Aston, Lambo, and Ferrari to various extents, although I only have personal experience with Ferrari.

My point and emphasis is what you can gain, for those headaches and depreciation, expensive warranties, etc, is the "exotic experience" in return, which Porsche sans 918/CGT/GT1 as you alluded to do not deliver on *for what it is worth*... no such thing as a free lunch!

Different strokes for different folks and we've all voted with our wallet, I wouldn't fault anyone or put anyone or any brand down for choosing a McLaren, Porsche, Toyota, whatever. There are pros and cons to all of them, I'm just happy we have choices

The following users liked this post:
Maverick787 (08-04-2020)
Old 08-04-2020, 10:52 PM
AllAboutThatP
Burning Brakes

Received 565 Likes on 279 Posts

The depreciation on my 600LT was well known and worth it. It’s been such a blast to drive. But I still love my GT3RS too.

I haven’t had a single issue with my Mac, except sometimes it does kick nuns and puppies, so I can see why some people don’t like them.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:25 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,744 Likes on 5,127 Posts

It took us a few minutes, but we were able to locate a hammer in the kitchen of the fast food joint.
Pics or it didn't happen.

I just know that I was t-h-i-s close to buying a 675LT (it was J Button's car, too), but on my last test drive before putting pen to paper the darn door wouldn't open. Nothing we did would get the damn door to open. Dealer was quite flummoxed and embarrassed. Needless to say, I passed.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:27 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Some are rising, and some of the cars with high miles/bad specs moved at a discount. Some of the more desirable cars dealers are sitting on them, and it’s about 20ish cars for sale that’s it.
I think it may also be that none of the high(er) miles / bargain cars are listed for sale at the moment (for whatever reason).

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
Reading the tea leaves, 675 and 720s have started to sneak back up. 720 coupe is essentially done. They aren’t making anymore. This year it’s a few spiders and 765. No spiders after next year also. Then in 2022 you have the 720 replacement. My buddy was offered 40k more on trade in for his 720 toward a 765 than he was for a trade in in December. Not sure how real it is but maybe mclaren is concentrating on higher end cars only. Shift in strategy perhaps?
Is the 720S replacement still on for 2022 given they had to bump the 570S replacement back by a year?
Old 08-05-2020, 12:29 AM
theunitedstates
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

FWIW, I will likely be attempting to find a 675LT, and will be happy to share my experiences. The car seems like a lot of car for the money right now, and my test drive of it definitely revealed how raw the car is. My ownership experience with it will tell, but I think the 675LT will be a good McLaren "experience" before I roll over to Lambo to compare.

I will be nervous, but I feel like McLaren is a car you have to experience first hand otherwise if you have the itch, you will always wonder about it. I only like the LT models, and I am not huge on the 765LT right now, though maybe if I fall in love with the 675LT...
Old 08-05-2020, 12:32 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,269 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89

Is the 720S replacement still on for 2022 given they had to bump the 570S replacement back by a year?
That was speculation on the dealers part. It very well might be 2023 but then I wonder what they are going to sell.

720 coupe production has ended. 720 Spider ends next year.Then you have the 570 replacement and the Elva. Not sure what they do to replace the 720 in 2021,2022 and 2023.

Honestly with their new financial restructuring they may have trashed their stupid Track 25 plan and dialed in their new models. Time will tell.
Old 08-05-2020, 12:59 AM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 974 Likes on 424 Posts

I wasn't referring to the depreciation in my post because I didn't want to touch that sensitive topic for Mclaren owners.

I was simply referring to the simple fact that for the performance that Mclaren offers, at the current pricing structure, is a great bang for the buck. But just like anything that seems like "great deals" in this world, nothing is really free after all. All that performance, in that price range, does actually come at a cost. In this case, the cost is the cheaper material and poor quality.

Originally Posted by sampelligrino

I will wholeheartedly agree that McLarens do depreciate, and are in all likelihood not as reliable as Porsche. And I'd argue the same for Aston, Lambo, and Ferrari to various extents, although I only have personal experience with Ferrari.

My point and emphasis is what you can gain, for those headaches and depreciation, expensive warranties, etc, is the "exotic experience" in return, which Porsche sans 918/CGT/GT1 as you alluded to do not deliver on *for what it is worth*... no such thing as a free lunch!

Different strokes for different folks and we've all voted with our wallet, I wouldn't fault anyone or put anyone or any brand down for choosing a McLaren, Porsche, Toyota, whatever. There are pros and cons to all of them, I'm just happy we have choices
Old 08-05-2020, 01:01 AM
unotaz
Drifting

There you go, another example of the doors not opening. You were lucky, because you weren't trapped inside

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Pics or it didn't happen.

I just know that I was t-h-i-s close to buying a 675LT (it was J Button's car, too), but on my last test drive before putting pen to paper the darn door wouldn't open. Nothing we did would get the damn door to open. Dealer was quite flummoxed and embarrassed. Needless to say, I passed.
Old 08-05-2020, 01:44 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,684 Likes on 1,032 Posts

There you go, another example of the doors not opening. You were lucky, because you weren't trapped inside
so much complaining. It’s got two doors. Sheesh
Old 08-05-2020, 02:03 AM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 102 Posts

I wasn't referring to the depreciation in my post because I didn't want to touch that sensitive topic for Mclaren owners.

I was simply referring to the simple fact that for the performance that Mclaren offers, at the current pricing structure, is a great bang for the buck. But just like anything that seems like "great deals" in this world, nothing is really free after all. All that performance, in that price range, does actually come at a cost. In this case, the cost is the cheaper material and poor quality.
I don’t think it’s current owners who are complaining about the depreciation. Most are well aware that they will depreciate. It’s the non-owners and some of the past owners who are banging the drum.

Which I don’t understand, all the current cars depreciate. Look at prices of 488 Pistas, TDFs, 812s, F12s, 488, GT2RS, GT3, RS, 911s, Boxsters, Panameras, Astons, and Lambos. They are all great cars, but this run is over.

I have also said that Porsche’s are the most reliable from my experience. However, the last my last 3 lambo’s, Huracan, Huracan Performante, AVS have been more reliable than any Ferrari I have owned, 360, 360 CS, 430, 430 Scud, and 458 coupe and sp.

I believe a lot of the door issues have to do with the soft close latches. My brand new RR LWB autobiography locked me in the day after it was delivered. But, their reliability is another topic.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (08-06-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 03:04 AM
unotaz
Drifting

Great cars still are holding their values, if you bought them at MSRP. TDF, 911R, 918 Spyder, Carrera GT, Ford GT, and etc, are all selling at above MSRP even with the current Covid19 environment.

But this topic is not about deprecation, but rather Mclaren's lack of reliability and no, the door issue has nothing to do with the soft door latches. Mclaren's electrical system is the culprit here because you get locked in when the system dies. The Mclaren door requires electricity to activate and when the entire system dies, no power goes through them. The manual override sometimes works (in my case) and in my friend's case, it didn't and you have crack the window to get out.

It's hard to say why Mclaren experience so much reliability related issues. I believe some of it is attributed by their supplier's QA standard and some of it might be simple human error on the Mclaren production assembly line. Either way, this is a Mclaren problem and they need to address this. Unfortunately, I don't think they will get their act together until someone like VAG buys them out and take over completely. While British automakers builds really cool cars, they need the expertise of a proper German automaker to have proper build quality. Look no further than Bentley, Rolls Royce and Lamborghini as examples of great turnarounds for British brands.

Originally Posted by BlazinPond
According to who? You?
Originally Posted by fastmd
I don’t think it’s current owners who are complaining about the depreciation. Most are well aware that they will depreciate. It’s the non-owners and some of the past owners who are banging the drum.

Which I don’t understand, all the current cars depreciate. Look at prices of 488 Pistas, TDFs, 812s, F12s, 488, GT2RS, GT3, RS, 911s, Boxsters, Panameras, Astons, and Lambos. They are all great cars, but this run is over.

I have also said that Porsche’s are the most reliable from my experience. However, the last my last 3 lambo’s, Huracan, Huracan Performante, AVS have been more reliable than any Ferrari I have owned, 360, 360 CS, 430, 430 Scud, and 458 coupe and sp.

I believe a lot of the door issues have to do with the soft close latches. My brand new RR LWB autobiography locked me in the day after it was delivered. But, their reliability is another topic.
Old 08-05-2020, 09:05 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by kkabba
The 3 and 2 RS are great cars...

But why would one that can own more than 1 "exotic" (nothing exotic about a 2 or 3 RS and definitely the poser 981 spider) try something non Porsche related as a second, third, etc, if the bank account allows it?

I think ...many on here finally rationalized buying their dream GT Porsche cars because up until now they held GREAT residual value.

Bravo - you win. And nothing else outside of Porsche GT cars with respect to residual value can likely compare. Doesn't make it a better driving experience - just a less bad investment decision for you. I'm fine knowing my non Porsche GT cars would depreciate like nuts.

But if you're less fussed about depreciation and more fussed about the BEST drive experience, the new GT Porsche cars are a total BORE.... and I have their latest and greatest 2020 Clubsport MR race car ....zzzzz.
Such a nonsensical post. So many here with reading
comprehension issues.

Nothing exotic about a 3RS or 2RS? Hmmm. The definition must have fallen victim to cancel culture since yesterday. Oh well. Lol. I guess I’m stuck with my pedestrian super beatle with a wing. 😢

3RS and 2RS poser 918s? Lol. This is so ridiculous doesn’t even merit a response. We’ll just let you wander around ignorant on that one.

👍
Old 08-05-2020, 09:16 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

To Sampeligrino: Oh, sorry. Didn’t see the sign that says “Owners/Previous owners only may participate”

Also every several weeks when I dip into this thread hoping that there may be news that McLaren has changed their ways as to service policy and Warranty policy and charges all I see is more horror stories about reliability and bickering as to whether McLarens are reliable or not. How confidence inspiring. Lol. Then I’m lectured as a non-owner that I can’t even participate and “what would I know?”

Did you advise Unotaz and the others as non-owners they need to stay quiet?.

And by the way why the F is this damn McLaren thread still in our GT3 Forum? Can someone get it moved to where it belongs?

As far as characterizing my statements above as you did you have mischaracterized them.

Do you know why Porsche does not have a “Porsche Success” thread?

Because they don’t need one.

Last edited by Waxer; 08-05-2020 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-05-2020, 01:24 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
To Sampeligrino: Oh, sorry. Didn’t see the sign that says “Owners/Previous owners only may participate”

Also every several weeks when I dip into this thread hoping that there may be news that McLaren has changed their ways as to service policy and Warranty policy and charges all I see is more horror stories about reliability and bickering as to whether McLarens are reliable or not. How confidence inspiring. Lol. Then I’m lectured as a non-owner that I can’t even participate and “what would I know?”

Did you advise Unotaz and the others as non-owners they need to stay quiet?.

And by the way why the F is this damn McLaren thread still in our GT3 Forum? Can someone get it moved to where it belongs?

As far as characterizing my statements above as you did you have mischaracterized them.

Do you know why Porsche does not have a “Porsche Success” thread?

Because they don’t need one.
You're right, it's reasonable to expect that every several weeks McLaren's brand reputation has changed by a couple owners chiming in on RL, I'm sure that would change your perception of the brand. Oh wait, I could go back and quote some owners posting their experience to that exact extent and yet here you still are. There is absolutely no sign or requirement to be an owner to participate, all I said is I'm scratching my head as to why you as a non-owner would go out of your way to emphasize things that you don't have personal first hand experience with. Unotaz has been an owner/has experience? You're the only one that continues to be vocal about McLaren's issues beating a dead horse, with my expectation that you'll use it as an opportunity to praise Porsche. I think everyone including myself already knows very well the benefits, merits, and pros of a wonderful Porsche.

I can't speak to why this thread is here in this subforum but my guess is that many GT owners have cross shopped Mac/are interested in the cars, or other exotics, and wanted a place of discussion to share and compare experiences? Which is exactly why I'm not sure why you are here talking about McLaren rather than let the owners and serious actual prospective buyers decide for themselves

and why on Earth would there be a Porsche success thread on Rennlist????? On FerrariChat, it's non-existent because they are bored/underwhelmed by the 911?
Old 08-05-2020, 01:30 PM
RoyalPink
Burning Brakes

Received 662 Likes on 277 Posts

Lol - this thread will never die or change. Next up... Mac vs... ??

Quick Reply: McLaren Success