Sponsored by:

Consolidated 991RS thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 01:42 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
FWIW, 7.2 RS and 4.0 are cars I do still lust after.
Ha, judging by the ridiculous 997 prices, you're not alone by any means.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:45 PM
1198r
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ Hey Nizer - you just made my day - thanks! 20 year dream finally came to fruition last October.

Don't want to hijack thread, but happy to tell you the story!
Old 03-05-2015, 01:50 PM
1198r
Pro

Unless I get PTS - this is my build:
Attached Images  
Old 03-05-2015, 01:50 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1198r
Yeah and I had TWO of the rear blow out of my .2RS! Right pain in the buttock!
I think this is because silly track rules in USA say windows down. In Europe as in NZ always have windows up if possible.

Manifold. rS4.0 would be nice but also think others thus price. But too valuable to track now. 7.2 RS can be bought same price as retail 991 GT3 still in NZ, still below new price by 20%. New RS will push market down a bit. Already trading out of old model started down under - when people clap eyes on real deal they will want want want. Suspect press will praise etc, also new with warranty for track help with well heeled track junkies. I believe there is a manual GT3 in the wings but cannot get any confirmation from PAG yet but will know more later in year. It may be a last gen special who knows but fact remains for ultimate stats PAG will keep RS PDk as option or mandatory for sure. Look towards RUF for final special iteration :-)
Old 03-05-2015, 02:04 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Macca - I couldn't see the downforce delta in the tables you posted, unless I missed them? It's pretty massive from what I recall vs the 991 GT3 and I think this will be the big bringer of praise. It'll take everything that was liked about the GT3 up a notch - is that worth the price delta depends on the individual, but I still think the GT4 is the clear value buy of the current gen of GT cars.

PS: You're probably right on the Akra exhaust upgrade, but just don't tell my wife
Old 03-05-2015, 02:05 PM
aboodchy
Instructor

How light do you guys think the Silver Grey microfibre will be? I'm worried if it will be easily prone to staining with wear.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:06 PM
mlpor
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by irule
997 GT3 RS 4.0 is lighter and has the same 500hp!

What am i missing here?
Well aside from what appears to be a very similar/close Power to Weight ratio, (a) a completely different engine, a modified DFI unit in the new car vs. the old standby Metzger's "regular" FI with all that might imply re: power delivery and tractability; (b) a completely different transmission set up, 7 vs. 6 speeds, PDK vs. manual clutch; and last but not least, possibly a very different chassis, now incorporating rear wheel steering & apparently even more enhanced aero.

There's also the "collectability" feature of an announce 600 only, end of an era etc. cache surrounding the 997 4.0 GT3RS. The new cars production numbers and collectability cache seems to be a bit of an unknown quality so far. Lots of pre-sales hype, speculation, anticipation and clamor, little so far fact or hands on experience.

Just for quick ref: e.g. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/....0-review.html
And for w/in the RL community, see the https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...vs-gt3-rs.html thread

Last edited by mlpor; 03-05-2015 at 02:23 PM. Reason: add reference link
Old 03-05-2015, 02:17 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 370 Posts

Assuming the graphs are correct, my interpretation:

- In 1st to 5th gear, GT3 has stronger acceleration in lower half of the rev range, RS is stronger in upper half.

- In 6th and 7th, GT3 has stronger acceleration.

- Since max overall acceleration uses the upper half of the rev range, RS should be faster, but might feel a bit weaker in more normal driving (which doesn't really make sense to me).
Correct, I just adjusted the aero for both based on the data Macca provided not a huge change

In 1-4 the GT3 should be quicker, in the lower rpm range the RS quicker in the upper rpm range, no surprise as the torque is similar down low w/ the RS excelling up high and weight of GT3 is not much more and aero hasn't become a huge factor

in 5-7 the same holds true in the llower rpm range but aero is becoming a much bigger factor, the RS torque advantage doesn't over come it
Old 03-05-2015, 02:30 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NateOZ
Macca - I couldn't see the downforce delta in the tables you posted, unless I missed them? It's pretty massive from what I recall vs the 991 GT3 and I think this will be the big bringer of praise. It'll take everything that was liked about the GT3 up a notch - is that worth the price delta depends on the individual, but I still think the GT4 is the clear value buy of the current gen of GT cars. PS: You're probably right on the Akra exhaust upgrade, but just don't tell my wife
Agree with you on GT4. Also as you say aero on RS will be defining factor/characteristic on the track. However that's not totally insurmountable with a the new design Crawford wing on a 991 GT3 with front canards which could get you 85% of the way there?

An RS is always an RS tho!!
Old 03-05-2015, 02:33 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NateOZ
Macca - I couldn't see the downforce delta in the tables you posted, unless I missed them? It's pretty massive from what I recall vs the 991 GT3 and I think this will be the big bringer of praise. It'll take everything that was liked about the GT3 up a notch - is that worth the price delta depends on the individual, but I still think the GT4 is the clear value buy of the current gen of GT cars. PS: You're probably right on the Akra exhaust upgrade, but just don't tell my wife
Ps no downforce delta in my slides but I can get the data from my old PAG detailed presentation on 991 GT3 from launch its on my PC sorry...
Old 03-05-2015, 02:47 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Ps no downforce delta in my slides but I can get the data from my old PAG detailed presentation on 991 GT3 from launch its on my PC sorry...
Sport Auto measured the 991 GT3 at 18kg downforce front, 29 kg rear at 200 km per hour.

Correcting for speed this suggests the 991 GT3 RS makes almost exactly 3x the downforce of the GT3, with the aero balance shifting slightly to the rear (32% front dowforce for the RS vs 38% front downforce for the GT3). This should increase high speed stability somewhat.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:58 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,475 Likes on 5,033 Posts

Looking at the tables of info Macca provided, seems that the changes between the GT3 and RS are fairly limited, with not much extra development and cost invested in the engine, transmission, suspension, steering, etc.

At this point, with no reviews out yet on the RS, I can't say I significantly prefer the RS, even if cost isn't a factor. Front fender vents look increasingly tacky to me, rear vents look too much like the turbo, negligible net weight reduction, pit speed limiter is amusing but not useful, dub+1 in the back seems like overkill, and 5s faster at the 'ring isn't that big a deal. Then add that it might feel more sluggish on the road than GT3, and loses 200 rpm at the top. Not saying the RS isn't a great car, but at this point I have no lust for it, considering I have a GT3 already in the garage.
I'm glad someone said it.

Reminds me quite a bit of what GM did with the C7 Vette.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:01 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I'll try and confirm later today. There are also two settings for rear wing on GT3 but I don't have any data on the more aggressive setting would suggest not much difference till after 300 kmph.

Lastly what's the relationship between speed and downforce?

I ask because RS slide shows headline numbers at 300 kmph only 4% shy of Vmax but I can never drive that fast and my tracks probably Max Vmax 240 kmph - most track work and fast sweepers here less than 200 kmph...
Old 03-05-2015, 03:04 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
Sport Auto measured the 991 GT3 at 18kg downforce front, 29 kg rear at 200 km per hour.

Correcting for speed this suggests the 991 GT3 RS makes almost exactly 3x the downforce of the GT3, with the aero balance shifting slightly to the rear (32% front dowforce for the RS vs 38% front downforce for the GT3). This should increase high speed stability somewhat.
Do you know if that much increase would make a difference in medium speed (80 mph +/-) sweepers or would the car need to be going much faster to notice any difference?

EDIT: Just saw Macca's post above, same question.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:05 PM
Dan39
Racer

Originally Posted by Petevb

Makes perfect sense. The GT3 understeers at low speed and tended to oversteer at high speed - I think it was Macca who jumped down my throat for suggesting this in another thread as the man loves his GT3 and we love him for that! - so they've added grip all round but slightly more biased to mechanical grip at the front to add grip at low speed and downforce at the rear to add grip at high speed.

Quick Reply: Consolidated 991RS thread