Consolidated 991RS thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 09:03 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,886 Likes on 972 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenLantern
Thanks for that. Really useful.

So they're stopping production at the end of 2015? This means a single model year (2016)... I was hoping/expecting two model years (like the GT3, and the 997.2 GT3 RS, 997.1 GT3 RS, etc).
Likely unplanned as a result of the launch delay related to GT3 engine issue and required to gear up for 991.2 GT3 launch.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:04 PM
inndee
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I am very much a (gain knowledge in hordes thankfully everyday) lurker at best here, there was a time I used to be very involved with tuning exotics ten years ago, and by vehicle volume more Porsche than anything else. I just got home from the dealership where I placed my deposit over two years ago when I bought my C2S with a >130K dealer build knowing the GT3 orders were going to open up in a few weeks (2/13), and justified it with a deposit on an RS.

BTW-I find it a little out of character for GT owners in general when they discuss whether or not they are going to sell a 1GT3 the just/recently bought and can resell used with miles for the same or more in order to get an RS. If you can get the allocation this is a bigger no-brainer than upgrading a three-year-old Camary IMHO. The additional investment vs known return should have nothing but a positive influence on the decision, and is that really what it's about?? I mean they Both don't have a back seat... and imagine us "lesser" 991 owners--I'm keeping mine, but if it was a trade-in question, it would be a >50K hit... just saying...

Anyhow, the real reason for posting is that of all the vehicles I own my favorites are my black with black center/gunmetal lip ADV.1s 2013 C2S, black 1956 MB 300c with 48k orig that I'm the third on after my dad started in '63 (paid $5500 instead of the Gullwing next to it for $6500 because he's tall like me ;p), and my GT Silver 2013 Cayenne GTS. The Cayenne is to replace my still owned Artic Silver CTT, but my expectations for this vehicle are exceeded consistently. Part of why I like this vehicle so much is Porsche built it as a "launch" vehicle (and yes, I have a 5/75K from my purchase date warranty through Porsche). It's crazy 123,465 build includes GT Silver with both Peridot stitching combos-meaning Peridot stitching everywhere! Red calipers, etc.--matches nothing with the black leather and brushed alum interior. Almost made me not by the vehicle, even though it was the only "new" one left in PCNA that was a GTS with PTV and PDCC. I now love the stitching and the belts--it makes it special and crazy and different and mine (even though I didn't orig order).

So, with our limited color choices (and I still have spite for not taking my neighbors slant nose a few years ago (for a number I can't type!) due to it being "close" to purple (I think it was the 993 cranberry), I have a very lovable, including aesthetically (I know-gt3 thread-I'm biased), GT Silver Cayenne GTS with black everything, including wheels and headlights, that would look like an awesome match for obvious reasons... But after my dealer visit today I think I'm going ORANGE?!? And it sounds like I'll have to decide color sooner than I expected...

Which brings me to the question for whoever is gracious enough with the knowledge to reply: I would normally never go PCCB, especially because I drove many first gen 996 PCCB cars (assume no explanation needed), but with the color (I was one who had hoped for more red in the Lava) I think the red calipers will make the car even more orange, whereas the yellow may make the car more red (hope)? It's so hard to try and find something remotely "pantone" Lave Orange, much less contrast it with calipers, with being in person...
Old 03-05-2015, 09:05 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
^^^Titanium connecting rods
I know AP said the con rods in the RS were different, and I'm sure they are in some way, but the ones in the GT3 are also forged titanium.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:08 PM
KenU
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rockitman
Oh boy...that is a symptom of RS desire.....
Ah yes - was VERY much looking forward to owning this car. In fact, my dealer confirmed my order 2 days ago (no commish #'s yet). Was in the queue for quite some time. Just can't justify pulling the trigger for what is, in my opinion, a very narrow GT3 upgrade from my car, for an extra $50k+. The build is just over $200k. Slot is not transferable. After Mech33's pics and posts today from the show, I'm even more convinced now. Whatever the RS has over my GT3 in performance I'll probably never appreciate or experience. In fact, I probably won't ever get the max out of my Rhodium GT3 since I'm not a track person.

Still thinking about it though...
Old 03-05-2015, 09:10 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I know AP said the con rods in the RS were different, and I'm sure they are in some way, but the ones in the GT3 are also forged titanium.
That makes sense. I must of heard that in the EVO AP interview at Geneva when he was talking about the motor. I assumed he mentioned them because they were different than the 3's....
Old 03-05-2015, 09:10 PM
Nan P
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Thanks Mike....that's what I thought too....
Very curious of all the differences between the two motors. & by the way, when I do pull the trigger for a 991GT3, it'll be GR: yours look awesome
Old 03-05-2015, 09:12 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
GT3DE races his .2GT3 with PCCB and is happy with them. Really, really races.

does clarke use brakes?
Old 03-05-2015, 09:14 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a few 991 GT3 on file with these canards but I think mostly European cars for show...
Attached Images    
Old 03-05-2015, 09:18 PM
mjg
Pro

Originally Posted by Nan P
To my eye the RS looks higher & based from the specs (thanks Macca )it isn't an illusion; not a fan of that despite that overall it looks aggressive.

So the differences between the GT3 & RS in the motor are;
Crankshaft
Intake system
Exhaust.

Anything else?
Does the RS use rocker arms instead of tappets like the GT3?
A few things (heads, oiling system, cam profiles, pistons) mentioned in the Evo video (at 5:38 if the link doesn't jump to the right time):

It'd be interesting to see the number of differences between the GT3 and RS in this generation's engine compared to the previous generations. It feels like there's more new this time.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:21 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

1200, if true, is a lot more than I expected. Since I am a bit of a 993 nut, just for comparison, and interesting statistic - in 1998, for the Carrera S, last aircooled year, Porsche sold 993 cars (cool, eh).
Old 03-05-2015, 09:27 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,094 Likes on 2,869 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
There was a mistake in the drops section and the speed in gear section because I had copied from a Cayman GTS chart and had left the 7800 rpm shift point.

It is now corrected in the original(I think)
let me know if it still doesn't make sense to you

Those #s were correct in the acceleration model, the trans info was something I just threw together quickly

as to the difference in speeds in gears
2 things the RS has a taller tire, dynamic loaded rolling radius is 27.8" vs 26.2" for the GT3

RS revs to 8800 GT3 to 9000
Thanks, Bill
Old 03-05-2015, 09:32 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nan P
To my eye the RS looks higher & based from the specs (thanks Macca )it isn't an illusion; not a fan of that despite that overall it looks aggressive.

So the differences between the GT3 & RS in the motor are;
Crankshaft
Intake system
Exhaust.

Anything else?
Does the RS use rocker arms instead of tappets like the GT3?
Nan. The differences are very little according to the official PAG documents that talk through the key changes over the 991 GT3. They are listed as crankshaft and air intact tracts (due to now having twin fender inlets). AP mentioned cams and pistons (naturally as its larger capacity). He said teh engine is essentially the same as 991 GT3 but that they had been "all over it". Actually I think he had to say that because Hatz interview with Frankle was a disaster. I was told last November by a PAG source (engine same as GT3 other than changes for capacity increase). I was also told that a number of items from RS engine had gone into 991 GT3 engine after recall and new engines were produced. Im still of belief these were RS rod fasteners. It could have been more than just that. I think that what we are seeing is AP trying to cover the gap between reality and the Hatz interview F**kup.

Ive made a few subsequent enquires over the last couple of days. What I can tell you is the only significant change in the engine is the crank shaft. I can only assume this has been done with a near future racing application in mind (I would hope so but not loosing sleep on it!). The head changes to accommodate piston crowns, cams, rods for additional strength given increased piston mass and potential future increase in piston speeds are all related to reliable capacity increase. The rockers are the same.

I think its hard because we dont know for sure the failure in the 991 GT3 engine. I was told very early on it was the tool used to tighten the fasteners that was "out of tolerance". This is old news and Ive documented it 12 months ago on here. It was explained to me by an engineer. I do not believe it was a part issue nor fundamentally a design one although clearly the requirements of the torque range on that part were to precise for the production process to guarantee and a stronger component was substituted to give a greater range of metallurgy and installation tolerance.

Thats what I know. We wont really know the truth here until the PET is released and only then if we can break down individual parts numbers for engine components (hard to see on PET these days!). Once the independents start stripping and rebuilding these engines in 5-10 years time Im sure we will know the changes that were made if any outside of the requirements for a capacity increase...
Old 03-05-2015, 09:35 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Attached Images  
Old 03-05-2015, 09:44 PM
991GT3
Instructor

Originally Posted by RS Diehard
New member, first post and great news! I have just had conformation that my RS will be shown at my dealership on a Germany-wide new GT model presentation day April 18th, and the car will be handed over to me shortly thereafter!

Standard white exteriour with black wheels, given the in-your-face design features of the RS I did not want to add a colour which makes it even more ostentacious.

I am still debating whether to stick with the standard silver rims though
Congrats and welcome to Rennlist! I Hope you share a lot of pictures when your car arrives!
Old 03-05-2015, 09:47 PM
Nan P
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for the info Macca.
Really great times to be a Porsche enthusiast; GT4/GT3/GT3RS....all great options.
I will be upgrading to the GT3....suits my budget & style, but can't wait for some owner reviews of the RS.

Quick Reply: Consolidated 991RS thread