Consolidated 991RS thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 10:07 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,968 Likes on 5,216 Posts

Originally Posted by silverrules
US GOV says no roll bar cause it may kill you but owners put them on for the safety? What am I missing here?
Maybe it interferes with the Jaws of Life.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:40 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default The Impact of the 918 VIP Program on 991 gt3 RS...my dos centavos!

I just posted this in another thread on this forum but I think it merits reposting on this 'master' 991 gt3 RS thread for consideration by all:

Originally Posted by GT TREE
Unless you're a 918 buyer, nobody knows what pricing is. I just spoke with my dealer yesterday (which sold 11 918's thus far). They are the 12th top selling in new Porsche car sales yearly, and even they have no info on pricing. And also said unless you bought a new 918, your chances of getting an RS are slim to none.
Originally Posted by Billy Wyatt
Slim to none thats BS right there.
Originally Posted by GT TREE
Like I said, words of a salesman. I'll need to go up higher in the food chain to get more clarity then.
Quite frankly we are about to go into a space where we have not been before. The true 'value' of the 918 VIP program will be tested when Porsche's 918 Concierges in all world markets asks the folks on their list if they want to purchase a 'scarce' 991 gt3 RS ...and that will probably start sometime in the next two weeks. Up to this point, the VIP program offered its members a hum-hum custom 'Panamera' and just a few weeks ago the more exciting 'Cayman GT4':

But the 991 gt3 RS is a different kettle of fish. Supposedly, production for this model will be limited and there is the rumor that production must terminate before the European Cycle 6 implementation dateline in September of 2015. Whether this is fact or fiction, we really don't know the exact figures scheduled for production - 600, 1000, 1200?

But here is the unusual & unprecedented thing that creates a new wrinkle into this landscape. Porsche, to my knowledge, has never had a legally binding VIP program like the one designed recently to attract buyers for the 918. The VIP program, allowing 918 owners/deposit holders to have preferential allocation to any and all new models introduced by Porsche for several years, was an actual benefit marketed to potential buyers of this US$845+ Hybrid supercar. So if you agreed to purchase a 918 Spyder, you are a bonafide member of this exclusive VIP club!

It might seem a bit 'unfair' to others right now, especially if some of these desirable models like the gt3 RS is schedule to be built in small numbers and the 918 VIP folks might get the Lion's Share of them. But remember that when Porsche made this promise, they were quite concerned that they were coming up short on the 918 individual prospects needed to make the 918 Spyder project an economic success!

So quite frankly, neither Porsche or the enthusiast community really knows what is going to happen next! If every 918 owner/deposit holder in that elite VIP program places an orders for a 991 gt3 RS, will there be any left for the second tier of Porsche buyers on the waiting lists at dealers all over the world? Frankly, I don't even think PCNA knows at the present time what will happen if every 918 owner or deposit holder in North America asks for a reservation on a 991 gt3 RS next week! So we are in new unchartered waters! Hopefully, we will know soon...and members of this forum will be among the first to find out what is the score. Of that I am sure!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Old 02-25-2015, 11:14 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

^ Eduardo

Some 918s from what I understand were purchased by dealers, do you know if they qualify for the VIP program?
Old 02-25-2015, 11:21 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

What does that say about the 918 that it had to come with "extra icing" on the cake??

Kind of B.S. I think for guys looking for an RS and some of these other GT models.

Will fall into hands of guys with more cars than they can enjoy, versus a guy having his one or so dream car.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:22 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
^ Eduardo

Some 918s from what I understand were purchased by dealers, do you know if they qualify for the VIP program?
As I understand it, the dealers whose Dealer Principal (usually the GM or Owner) consumed allocations at the very end to get Porsche over the hump of "Sold Out" are in the same state as any other first 918 buyer who then sold to someone else. If the GM/Owner is still the owner of the 918 Spyder, they're VIP's. When someone buys that 918 Spyder (i.e., they're the 2nd owner) that privilege is lost.

Additionally, a handful of 918 Spyders have already changed hands. Those (future) VIP allocations are now no longer recoverable.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:32 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by STG991
What does that say about the 918 that it had to come with "extra icing" on the cake??
It's only because sales were slow for a while, and they wanted to sell 918 of them.

Sales picked up after a while, and really this program wasn't necessary, in my opinion.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:00 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

^ Eduardo

If the 918 was purchased by dealer principals, I would think they would qualify. The color of their money, in Porsche's eyes, is still 'legal tender green'. At one of the earlier 'dog & pony' shows for 918 deposit holders in Las Vegas in 2012, it's my understanding that several dealer principals were in attendance precisely because they were putting their money on the line and ordering a Spyder for their own personal use. We know that Roger Penske bought one and it turned out to be one of the earliest deliveries (to his Beachwood dealership in Ohio). I am sure he will be entitled to a preferential allocation of a 991 gt3 RS as will many of the other dealer principals who purchased a 918 on their own. Regarding corporate dealership owners, like Lithia or AutoNation, I really don't know how that works... or if any of these have actually bought a 918 Spyder for spec or could even qualify for one since there is no 'principal' involved.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Old 02-26-2015, 12:10 AM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Z356
If the 918 was purchased by dealer principals, I would think they would qualify.
Until they sell it.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:20 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

If the 918 was purchased by dealer principals, I would think they would qualify. The color of their money, in Porsche's eyes, is still 'legal tender green'. At one of the earlier 'dog & pony' shows for 918 deposit holders in Las Vegas in 2012, it's my understanding that several dealer principals were in attendance precisely because they were putting their money on the line and ordering a Spyder for their own personal use. We know that Roger Penske bought one and it turned out to be one of the earliest deliveries (to his Beachwood dealership in Ohio). I am sure he will be entitled to a preferential allocation of a 991 gt3 RS as will many of the other dealer principals who purchased a 918 on their own. Regarding corporate dealership owners, like Lithia or AutoNation, I really don't know how that works... or if any of these have actually bought a 918 Spyder for spec or could even qualify for one since there is no 'principal' involved.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Thanks Eduardo.

I know about the dealer principal cars, I'm asking more about the ones purchased by the corporate entity - i.e., The Porsche Dealership being the actual title holder.

I'd imagine in those cases the VIP membership would still flow to the principal/owner. Although I'd imagine if the dealership was sold or transferred to another owner, the benefits of the 918 VIP program would similarly transfer to the new owner.

Well, there you go folks. For those who didn't buy a 918 but want a guaranteed RS slot, just buy the dealership!
Old 02-26-2015, 12:30 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Thanks Eduardo.

I know about the dealer principal cars, I'm asking more about the ones purchased by the corporate entity - i.e., The Porsche Dealership being the actual title holder.

I'd imagine in those cases the VIP membership would still flow to the principal/owner. Although I'd imagine if the dealership was sold or transferred to another owner, the benefits of the 918 VIP program would similarly transfer to the new owner.

Well, there you go folks. For those who didn't buy a 918 but want a guaranteed RS slot, just buy the dealership!
The privilege to be in the 918 VIP program disappears the moment you sell it. It's benefits are reserved only to the original owner of the 918...and it doesn't follow to the next owner! It was an incentive to sell the original batch of 918 cars. But it's not meant to stay attached to the car...it's attached to the original owner (who helped Porsche achieved that sales goal) for as long as he owns that 918.

Originally Posted by GreenLantern
Until they sell it.
By the way, there might be a limitation on a dealer principal or corporate dealer in their ability to sell their 918. I have heard they may have to wait a minimum of 6 months before they can sell it. Perhaps others that have more information can chime in.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 02-26-2015, 12:37 AM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

By the way, there might be a limitation on a dealer principal or corporate dealer in their ability to sell their 918. I have heard they may have to wait a minimum of 6 months before they can sell it. Perhaps others that have more information can chime in.
To be honest, I hope PCNA/PAG did that, and if so, enforces that.

I'm tired of flippers. And I could see some dealers easily consuming an allocation, taking title, and then turning around and listing it as a "used car" for 50% above MSRP.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:48 AM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Three points:
1. Some dealers did not sell any 918 cars
2. only a % of 918 buyers are likely to order the new RS, Maybe 20% about 180 buyers?? Your guess?
3. iv'e been told that sales to 918 buyers do not
count against dealer allocations.

So, there is a lot to yet be determined. First of which, how many will be available and what will be the pecking order.

Maybe a good time to see your Fortune Teller.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:58 AM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by allans
3. iv'e been told that sales to 918 buyers do not
count against dealer allocations.
I've heard otherwise, from multiple sources, unfortunately.

Realistically, it would be better, and make more sense to me, if they didn't count against dealer allocations. Mercedes-AMG does it that way for their VIP's. It's mostly a freebie alloc.

BMW used to do that (and still does for less "limited" models) for the Euro Delivery allocs. ED allocs don't come out of the dealer pool, so they're freebies.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:03 AM
mdkim
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenLantern
I've heard otherwise, from multiple sources, unfortunately.

Realistically, it would be better, and make more sense to me, if they didn't count against dealer allocations. Mercedes-AMG does it that way for their VIP's. It's mostly a freebie alloc.

BMW used to do that (and still does for less "limited" models) for the Euro Delivery allocs. ED allocs don't come out of the dealer pool, so they're freebies.
I've also heard this as well. What it means is that there are just under three hundred US 918 owners that will have first crack at the six hundred US bound RS cars.

EDIT: There may be another production run so I'm not saying there will only be 600 RS cars.

Last edited by mdkim; 02-26-2015 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 02-26-2015, 01:06 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I believe the six month requirement is the hold period of the limited run car they purchase. So a dealer principal could hold an RS for 6 months and sell it like any other 918 customer.

I'm ok with it, but just my understanding of how it works.

Quick Reply: Consolidated 991RS thread