Sponsored by:

Consolidated 991RS thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 11:56 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
but i spoke to the singing bush from the movie the 3 Amigos, who told me to go and see the Invisible Swordsman, who in turn told me all about this magical new engine................

Are you saying the Invisible Swordsman wasn't being truthful??????

I'd watch what you say about a man carrying a sword that you can not see..............

LOL!

Funny thing is I was watching the Princess Bride for the first time in almost 30 years only two nights ag with my wife who had never seen it. Anyone remember that? What a laugh.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:05 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Now that's no fun! Besides, who says it's only been in design for 3mo, could have been the plan from the start! You know Porsche Motorsports North America is only a few miles from many of the best shops in the US... lots of rumors flow as a result!

Yeah. I know. Rumours are more fun. Did you know there was a story going around Europe a few years ago that Peter Porsche has a vagina. Just saying...

In all seriousness. It would be bloody fantastic if PAG pulled that off. It means they would have kept something 100% secret skunk works right up till launch day! Throw out the old engine totally new Mezger hybrid. Probably never happen (they are about evolution not revolution with their race platforms) but would be fund to know.

As for the 991 GT3 engine - same 9A1 as in GT3 with changes to crank, rods, pistons, mapping etc to handle greater piston mass and same corrected piston speed as GT3 (9000rpm) at 8800 rpm (as described by petervb). The 991 GT3 engine replacements actually benefited from some of this harvested RS tech.

I think Hatz had to fudge that one. He couldnt say "new engine architecture in future 911 road production engines will be based on engine in 991 GT3 (known to catch fire and all be replaced a cost of 100MM Euro).

The road map for these cars and this engine was set in place 4-5 years ago. The 991 GT3 RS has undergone no significant development for 9-12 months rest assured. Will be no manual either on this car now or in the future although I hear whispers a manual LE version RS in 991.2 gen could appear to keep the nay-sayers happy. I believe that could happen now the GT4 has proven to have piqued a bit of interest...
Old 02-24-2015, 12:11 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thats it! And the princess is "Jenny" from Forest Gump another brilliant classic!
Old 02-24-2015, 12:12 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,841 Likes on 955 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Will be no manual either on this car now or in the future although I hear whispers a manual LE version RS in 991.2 gen could appear to keep the nay-sayers happy. I believe that could happen now the GT4 has proven to have piqued a bit of interest...
Interest was always there..... in spades.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:21 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer
Interest was always there..... in spades.
Agreed. Looks like the marketing boys may have figured out a way to make the stick zealots pay for the R&D. Limited Edition. Sounds expensive. I want one already. It worked LOL!
Old 02-24-2015, 12:32 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,086 Posts

Yeah. I know. Rumours are more fun. Did you know there was a story going around Europe a few years ago that Peter Porsche has a vagina. Just saying...
Remember I live in LA and manly wheaties box cover olympic super hero Bruce Jenner "may actually" have a vag. Just saying. Stranger things have not happened!

In all seriousness. It would be bloody fantastic if PAG pulled that off. It means they would have kept something 100% secret skunk works right up till launch day! Throw out the old engine totally new Mezger hybrid. Probably never happen (they are about evolution not revolution with their race platforms) but would be fund to know.
But see there you go, you've addressed the speculation! A jump with the race program from Mezger to 9A1 is dramatic. Ze Germans feel too fast, 5 years is too slow. A Mezger design with the benefits of DFI is the way to go! The solid foundation, with new-fangled technology to drive efficiency and power. Plus the modular platform to allow multiple displacements for various racing series.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:52 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

But see there you go, you've addressed the speculation! A jump with the race program from Mezger to 9A1 is dramatic. Ze Germans feel too fast, 5 years is too slow. A Mezger design with the benefits of DFI is the way to go! The solid foundation, with new-fangled technology to drive efficiency and power. Plus the modular platform to allow multiple displacements for various racing series.
I still reckon the Peter Porsche with a ***** rumour is more likely LOL!

The 9A1 DFI has now have 6 years production development in road cars. probably 150,000 units. Its not revolution. The 991 GT3 is currently being stress tested by customers, not to say the least that PAG itself directed an extra 100MM to its development by way of replacements after 2-3 issues suspected to be created by manufacture installation tolerance and design issues. Now they have 785 test bed engines they can break at their hearts content. Well that's if they dont rebuilt the unused ones into 991 GT3RS engines. I reckon that's about as good as it gets for testing a DFI prior to running in a cup car, afterall the Motorsport department have no doubt been doing their own bench testing and mules.

Its a nice idea though and Id love to be wrong on this!

P.S. Watch for Peter Porsches camel toe next time you see a picture of him!
Old 02-24-2015, 12:59 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

OK so here's some speculation / fodder on the engine side of things.... Had a fun debate on this at the shop last night.

Porsche needs to homologate an engine for racing. The 9A1 platform they haven't gotten to perform at the level they want for endurance racing. This new engine is a hybrid of the Mezger platform and 9A1. Something like a modular Mezger design with DFI, weight reduction, improved castings, and used specifically to allow for homologation of a new engine for racing.

Whatcha think?????
I assume you were talking with Betim and Joey?

Why won't the next generation of GT/Le Mans race engines be turbocharged?

Mercedes plans to race the AMG GT; new Ford GT; Ferrari 488; McLaren; etc. All turbos.; only holdouts are Corvette, Viper, and Audi R8.

Remember I live in LA and manly wheaties box cover olympic super hero Bruce Jenner "may actually" have a vag. Just saying. Stranger things have not happened!

Mr(s). Jenner also has a 997.2 RS! May be a member, actually.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:53 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default 'Race Track' Roll Bars inside street production cars sold to public in US

Originally Posted by NateOZ
It was explained to me when I moved here as a requirement to being able to get people out of the car in an accident if people are wearing harnesses. I can't remember the time requirement, even though a harness is faster when cutting the restraint a 3 point belt is obviously quicker.

Don't know if true, but US could try trusting people not to wear them on the street...

The primary objection to explain why PCNA would not be able to offer in the US the Clubsport option's roll cage bars inside a 991 gt3 RS or any other Porsche street model allegedly lies with Department of Transportation / National Highway Traffic Safety Administration 'Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards/Head Impact Protection'. As interpreted by Porsche (correctly no doubt), it prevents the fitment of 'race track' roll bars to a street vehicle imported into the US!

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/ruli...rotection.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...n-america.html

As one participant in that previous Rennlist conversation eloquently posted:

"US safety requirements are different from other parts of the world. Here we can't have non-deform-able objects in the cabin that might injure the head of an unbelted occupant. Other parts of the world assume occupants are belted."

But what is allowed and completely at Porsche's discretion is shipping US cars with mounting plates already welded in place. AP said it would be addressed on next (this) RS. We shall see. Tick tock.
Is that completely true? Porsche allowed those welded mounting plates to remain in the first few early MY2007 gt3 RS built for the US market and then stopped welding them shortly after the first '07 RS's arrived stateside.

As I have posted before I believe that if PAG welds the mounting plates in place on 991 gt3's & RS's sold in the US and PCNA makes available the 'ClubSport Package' roll bars as a after-market 'part' available via its US Porsche dealers, US DOT/NHTSA authorities might interpret that as willfully facilitating the circumvention of US regulations re: Head Impact Protection. Thus, I doubt PCNA's lawyers would sanction it. And the issues involve are, quite frankly, beyond the purview of Andreas Preuninger and his Motorsports engineering colleagues. It's the concern of Detlev von Platen and PCNA's 'liability-weary' lawyers here in the US!

But the entire ClubSport Package is available to you to import & used to personally modify your vehicle AFTER it has been purchased:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...ker-shock.html

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Old 02-24-2015, 01:59 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Z356
Is that completely true?
The story is true. Whether it makes it past corp nannies is a separate issue, as you point out. Like I said, tick tock......
Old 02-24-2015, 02:02 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Funny thing is I was watching the Princess Bride for the first time in almost 30 years only two nights ag with my wife who had never seen it. Anyone remember that? What a laugh.
Originally Posted by AC SATCO
classic!

The kid at the beginning and end is from Growing Pains, always remembered that
Great movie. I think wading through all these rumors about magical engine development is a bit like scaling the Cliffs of Insanity; they never end.

BTW, the kid in the movie is Fred Savage...starred in The Wonder Years not Growing Pains. Shouldn't know that, but I do....
Old 02-24-2015, 02:21 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

The story is true. Whether it makes it past corp nannies is a separate issue, as you point out.
It's not even going to make past Ms. Beatrix Brunhilde, the newest corporate counsel hire at PCNA's headquarters!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Old 02-24-2015, 02:36 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Z356
It's not even going to make past Ms. Beatrix Brunhilde, the newest corporate counsel hire at PCNA's headquarters!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

50 Shades of Blue?
Old 02-24-2015, 04:15 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

50 Shades of Blue?
Yes, she is past 'Grey' now and into the 'Blues'

Saludos,