Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAJOR FAIL! No Sport Bucket Set Option (6 point harness seats) WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 03:44 AM
Rushman71
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy 10 pages of whining! You people crack me up here, hence why I don't post much. As with every new generation of car owners of the old generation resist which is the typical human reaction to change. Mind you, change isn't always better, but all I see here is people inventing mountains where only molehills exist.

You want a better track seat? GET AN ACTUAL RACE SEAT FOR TRACK USE!!!! You'll be more comfortable on the street where the car will be 98% of the time anyway and a decent dedicated race seat smokes the Porsche buckets (which are awful for tall people who want to use a helmet FYI). One guy here whines about HANS, yet just uses a harness bar with no roll bar? LOL, talk about safety fail.

So yes yes, you're all a bunch or "hard-core" racers who must have a manual transmission, sport bucket wannabe race seats that suck on the street and track, and I'm guessing maybe a crank start for that "authentic experience."

I have absolutely loved my 991S despite the protestation of the 997 owners. I waited for it while injured and it arrived right as I was mended enough to enjoy it. I love it so much, I want to take it to the next level and the 991 GT3 will do just fine. Maybe 20+ years in karts and formula cars including a stint as a Skip Barber instructor gives me a different perspective and maybe I'm being too hard on you guys, but the whining is just too hard to listen to when it has no basis in any fact, just irrational emotion. Anyway, second on the list at the dealer for this car and if it makes you feel better you can tell yourself you are more "pure" than I am, knock yourselves out.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:01 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Rushman71

You want a better track seat? GET AN ACTUAL RACE SEAT FOR TRACK USE!!!! You'll be more comfortable on the street where the car will be 98% of the time anyway and a decent dedicated race seat smokes the Porsche buckets (which are awful for tall people who want to use a helmet FYI). One guy here whines about HANS, yet just uses a harness bar with no roll bar? LOL, talk about safety fail.
This bone is of minimal interest for me to pick BUT factory seats have airbag units in them, aftermarket race seats do not. Therefore in 98% of the world, a car driven on the street with aftermarket seats (where airbag units are removed) is unroadworthy and insurance invalid if you have an accident... Ask me how I know!!!

Feel free to keep the bright ideas coming but this certainly isn't one unless you plan on trailering the car to/from the track and never driving on the street with OEM seats removed...
Old 03-11-2013, 04:04 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
But I'm still unclear about something. In your post above (#149), both the Sport Plus seat, which is standard on the the new GT3, and the regular sport seat are described as having electric seat height and backrest adjustments and manual fore and aft adjustments. In your first post (#144), you said that the standard seats in the new GT3 had electric fore/aft adjustment so something isn't matching up. As described above, both seats have the same adjustment functions;
My bad. I misspoke in post #144. The 4-way seat still has manual fore/aft adjustments. The electric functions are backrest and seat height. Both the standard 991 'sport plus' seats & the upcoming 991 gt3 'sport plus' seats are '4-way electric'. In fact, even the base 'sport seat' on the 991 is 4-way. However, there is one 'Sport Plus' Seat option (with same shape & support as the proposed gt3 'sport plus' seat) that is still simpler, slightly lighter and has only 2-way electric functions! That seat is an option on the 981 Boxster and Cayman. See corrected post #149 above. My point is that they could have chosen a lighter & less complex seat from their inventory for their most sporting & supposedly lightest model - the new 991 gt3! But they didn't.

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Eduardo, you may be right, and Porsche may indeed be scheming.
I am just fooling around! I still think the '4-way' Sport Plus seat CAN be swapped for the gt2 sport bucket seats in all 991's. We have swapped successfully OUT an OEM 2-way electric 987's 'Sport Leather Seat' (similar to the current 981's 'Sport Plus' seat) from a Spyder and replaced it with the gt2 sport bucket seats. Orthojoe can attest to that. And remember that the underseat plugs worked fine, even though the gt2 buckets don't have any electric functions and the OEM seats were 2-way electric. So I am NOT concerned that the new '4-way' 991 seat will make the swap impossible. But we need you to test my theory after you get your 991 gt3!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 03-11-2013, 04:09 AM
Rushman71
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911rox
This bone is of minimal interest for me to pick BUT factory seats have airbag units in them, aftermarket race seats do not. Therefore in 98% of the world, a car driven on the street with aftermarket seats is unroadworthy and insurance invalid if you have an accident... Ask me how I know!!!

Feel free to keep the bright ideas coming but this certainly isn't one unless you plan on trailering the car to/from the track and never driving on the street with OEM seats removed...
Here is a perfect example of what I was talking about, people so wanting to hate here they don't even read. What part of use a track seat on the track and a street seat on the street didn't make sense to you?

Your insurance argument is just false. It's just something you are inventing to justify your emotional appeals. Ask me how I know (hint, I've run my own insurance agency for the past 12 years).

So keep the disinformation coming!

Steve (loves how everyone on the internet knows so much which just happens to be wrong)
Old 03-11-2013, 04:22 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Here is a perfect example of what I was talking about, people so wanting to hate here they don't even read. What part of use a track seat on the track and a street seat on the street didn't make sense to you?

Your insurance argument is just false. It's just something you are inventing to justify your emotional appeals. Ask me how I know (hint, I've run my own insurance agency for the past 12 years).

Steve (loves how everyone on the internet knows so much which just happens to be wrong)
wtf? Seriously, do you even know what you are talking about? In Australia and most of Europe for that matter where rules actually exist, it is a known fact that you cannot actually remove an airbag unit from a vehicle so fitted from factory as the local registering authorities regard it as unroadworthy. Hell, in Australia, Porsche can't even sell an airbag deactivation kit for carrying a child in the front seat of a car. Try checking some facts with your local DMV....

Once the car is regarded unroadworthy, its insurance lapses. It may not be the case for your particular state but it is the case for many parts of the world. If you'd like for me to upload documentation to verify my statements with regards to here, just say!

I ordered my 997.2 GT3 with standard seats so that I could fit it with recaros for track use. My plan ground to a halt for this reason and now in the market for Porsche buckets... Lets hope you aren't the type of person you are accusing everybody else of being although you statement above pretty much proves it beyond a doubt...

ps. As stated earlier, I have no bone to pick with this concern so I have no reason to make up stories to justify my emotional appeals as you put it.

pps. Most of us drive to the track and drive home. So according to your statement, do I strap my race seats to my rear wing and fit them at the track or what? I thought I was clear that race seats were not an option UNLESS trailering to the track which doesn't breach road rules!

Last edited by 911rox; 03-11-2013 at 06:12 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:41 AM
TTurbine
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Clubsport package + 6 point harness available in the rest of the world...
Old 03-11-2013, 04:43 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Thankfully yes TTurbine...
Old 03-11-2013, 06:05 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TTurbine
Clubsport package + 6 point harness available in the rest of the world...
Yes, but not FIA homologated - means that (for now) the 991 GT3 cannot participate in Porsche Germanys own racing series - Porschesportcup (where 996, 997 GT3-GT2 are being raced constantly).
http://www.porsche.com/porschesportscup-germany/

So much to the "facts" and the "emotions"..
Old 03-11-2013, 06:12 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Holy 10 pages of whining! You people crack me up here, hence why I don't post much. As with every new generation of car owners of the old generation resist which is the typical human reaction to change. Mind you, change isn't always better, but all I see here is people inventing mountains where only molehills exist.

So yes yes, you're all a bunch or "hard-core" racers who must have a manual transmission, sport bucket wannabe race seats that suck on the street and track, and I'm guessing maybe a crank start for that "authentic experience."

I have absolutely loved my 991S despite the protestation of the 997 owners. I waited for it while injured and it arrived right as I was mended enough to enjoy it. I love it so much, I want to take it to the next level and the 991 GT3 will do just fine. Maybe 20+ years in karts and formula cars including a stint as a Skip Barber instructor gives me a different perspective and maybe I'm being too hard on you guys, but the whining is just too hard to listen to when it has no basis in any fact, just irrational emotion. Anyway, second on the list at the dealer for this car and if it makes you feel better you can tell yourself you are more "pure" than I am, knock yourselves out.
interesting..if you are such an expert in formula cars..you know that there is no-e brake, no e steering, no rear wheel drive..in fact - almost no electronic aids at all..(!)..so Im wondering how you can make the link between a race car and a 991 GT3..there is no link. There is even (almost) no link between a 997 Gt3 and formula car..4 wheels they have in common..but thats about it..

That doesnt mean the 991 GT3 wont be good car..to drive for fun. For racing, we will see..I guess you as a race expert know what it takes for a good and reliable car to win on the track. By the way, I see myself also in the formula cars--soon. Its just a completely different level.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:21 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,604 Likes on 834 Posts

LMFAO.

FYI, Porsche makes a pretty fantastic seat that takes 6 point harnesses extremely well...but has chosen not to offer it on the new GT3 in the US. Hence this thread. Why rip out the OEM seats when Porsche makes a perfectly suitable OEM seat they offer the rest of the world? Again, hence this thread.

Or...to paraphrase you: "Here is a perfect example of what I was talking about, people so wanting to hate here they don't even read. What part of why the hell doesn't Porsche offer this seat in the US didn't make sense to you? Your argument is just false. It's just something you are inventing to justify your emotional appeals. So keep the disinformation coming!"

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 06-27-2013 at 08:39 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:36 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Why so hostile? We are purely talking about the bucket seats here. Are you saying those seats serve no purpose whatsoever? Why is it so offensive to you that those of us in the United Stated want this seat as an option? The sport bucket seats happen to be one of the best looking and versatile seats out there, and you're hating on us for wanting it as an option? A lot of us go to the track as a hobby to escape the stress of everyday life and have some fun. We're not hardcore racers, but we enjoy the sport. Is there something wrong with driving a car to the track and back home in stock form? Just because you love your comfort seats doesn't mean the rest of us are morons for wanting something different. Get off your high horse
Old 03-11-2013, 11:55 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Is the wiring there in a 997 GT3 to swap the Sport Bucket Seats with Sport Seats + in a 991?
In other words put the Sport Bucket Seats into the 991
and the Sport Seats into the 997 replacing the Sport Bucket Seats that were there?
Old 03-11-2013, 01:44 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
Is the wiring there in a 997 GT3 to swap the Sport Bucket Seats with Sport Seats + in a 991?
In other words put the Sport Bucket Seats into the 991
and the Sport Seats into the 997 replacing the Sport Bucket Seats that were there?
Brian, the answer to your two-part question is (I believe) 'we don't yet know'.

A) On OrthoJoe's 987 Spyder, OEM seat wiring designed for a 2-way electric 'Sport Leather Seat', w. airbags & seat sensor (passenger only) was able to work with a non-electric gt2 Sport Buckets, w. airbags & seat sensor (passenger seat).

B) On your .10 997 gt3, you have OEM seat wiring for non-electric gt2 'sport bucket' seats, w. seatbags & seat sensor (passenger). Will that wiring power a 2-way or 4-way electric Porsche seats w. airbags & seat sensor (passenger)? I don't know. Perhaps someone here has gone the other way and swapped out OEM gt2 seats for more 'comfortable' base or sport leather seats and tell us if it works on a currently available 2-way 997 'sport leather' seat!

C) On your upcoming '14 gt3, you will have OEM seat wiring for 4-way electric 'Sport Plus' seats, w. airbags & seat sensor (passenger). Will that wiring work with a non-electric gt2 'sport bucket' seats, w. airbags & set sensor (passenger). I HOPE so. My logic is that it worked with 2-way electric seats, w. airbags & seat sensor (passenger), so it should work with 4-way electric seats which are close to being the same.

D) Here is the unknown. If the factory is indeed working closely with PCNA to make this kind of 'sport bucket seat' retrofit DIFFICULT because they DO NOT WANT to encourage the 991 gt3 to be employed for recreational track use (not racing), which is plausible but NOT YET PROVEN, they could easily devise a seat wiring scenario for US spec 991 gt3's which makes any attempt to plug in a non-electric gt2 sport bucket a nightmare! We will know soon enough what Porsche & PCNA are 'thinking' when we try to plug in a gt2 'sport bucket seats' on a 991 gt3 when these arrive stateside.

Saludos,
Eduardo

Last edited by Z356; 03-11-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:56 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Talk about whining Rushman...geesh you're doing an awesome job of it yourself. You are failing to understand the issue about the seats.

The insurance argument IS NOT FALSE. I challange you to look into it with any major insurance company. What company do you work for? Care to post a legal statement about this? I have done my homework on this and I see you have not.

Bottom line is simple...if you disarm any part of the federally mandated air bag system and install race seats in a street car that does not have the federally DOT tested side impact air bag in the seat like the 997 was tested for... your insurance will be void in the event of an accident on the street. Even worse if you have a passenger in the car and they get hurt due to not having the tested and properly functioning standard air bag system some lawyers will have a field day in court with you.

Last edited by mdrums; 03-11-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:02 PM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z356
C) On your upcoming '14 gt3, you will have OEM seat wiring for 4-way electric 'Sport Plus' seats, w. airbags & seat sensor (passenger). Will that wiring work with a non-electric gt2 'sport bucket' seats, w. airbags & set sensor (passenger). I HOPE so. My logic is that it worked with 2-way electric seats, w. airbags & seat sensor (passenger), so it should work with 4-way electric seats which are close to being the same.
We need someone to verify if the 991 sport buckets are the same part as the 997 version, or at least physically compatible. If they are in fact different, I imagine Suncoast will find a way to bring the 991 version over to the US.

Quick Reply: MAJOR FAIL! No Sport Bucket Set Option (6 point harness seats) WOW!