Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAJOR FAIL! No Sport Bucket Set Option (6 point harness seats) WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 10:45 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
I am all for work arounds and compromise if it must happen. However, let me know IRL when you find a Porsche tech who will risk his job and financial standing (lawsuit) and knows how to use the PIWIS well enough to even try and make this happen. I have a multi-year relationship with my local dealer tech and he is sharp as a tack and an awesome human being. I would never ask him to do what you suggest because I would never put him in such a position of jeopardy, and he would never agree to do it if I did.

As TerryL said above, changing seats on a regular basis is a massive PITA. Folks can joke around all they want to about swapping seats but it is not a realistic solution. And if you are spending $135+ on a car which does not suit your needs, why in the world would you buy it?
That seems a bit over-dramatic. My suggestion wasn't meant to be all that sinister.

First, having done it myself, I agreed with Terry that the seat swapping is a PITA. My assumption with regard to using the seats was that at some point we'd know more about what's involved, ie whether it's an actual airbag functionality issue or simply a warning light that needed to be dealt with. Asking someone to jeapordize their professional standing or integrity wasn't part of the equation.

As for the cost, if we could buy the seats with the car they'd be $3K plus; even if someone had to buy them at twice the price aftermarket, here in the US the car would still be a bargain compared to what people are paying for it ROW.

Bottom line, I was simply trying to suggest that a solution to this problem might eventually be possible and to be positive about it, even though being positive doesn't seem to be a particularly popular approach.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 03-20-2013 at 11:26 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:58 PM
mike2727
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon70
I'd have to get a substantial discount to get a GT3 now. There are many other viable and cheaper cars available from other manufacturers. In my opinion, $130k+ is too much to spend if the car doesn't meet your needs.
+10000000

Mike
Old 03-20-2013, 11:00 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

We posted at the same time...lol.

Yes, quite a coincidence with our wording.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:37 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

I am all for work arounds and compromise if it must happen. However, let me know IRL when you find a Porsche tech who will risk his job and financial standing (lawsuit) and knows how to use the PIWIS well enough to even try and make this happen. I have a multi-year relationship with my local dealer tech and he is sharp as a tack and an awesome human being. I would never ask him to do what you suggest because I would never put him in such a position of jeopardy, and he would never agree to do it if I did.

As TerryL said above, changing seats on a regular basis is a massive PITA. Folks can joke around all they want to about swapping seats but it is not a realistic solution. And if you are spending $135+ on a car which does not suit your needs, why in the world would you buy it?
It's going to be fun trading in the 4.0 IF the GT3 proves to be a reliable track car. I wonder how much cash they will give me to trade it in..

We posted at the same time...lol.

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
That seems a bit over-dramatic. My suggestion wasn't meant to be all that sinister.

First, having done it myself, I agreed with Terry that the seat swapping is a PITA. My assumption with regard to using the seats was that at some point we'd know more about what's involved, ie whether it's an actual airbag functionality issue or simply a warning light that needed to be dealt with. Asking someone to jeapordize their professional standing or integrity wasn't part of the equation.

As for the cost, if we could buy the seats with the car they'd be $3K plus; even if someone had to buy them at twice the price aftermarket, here in the US the car would still be a bargain compared to what people are paying for it ROW.

Bottom line, I was simply trying to suggest that a solution to this problem might eventually be possible and to be positive about it, even though being positive doesn't seem to be a particularly popular approach.
We can turn anything off and I got people to swap seats. It will just **** me off enough to not buy the car to begin with.

Yes, quite a coincidence with our wording.
Great minds....
Old 03-21-2013, 03:53 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,688 Likes on 2,337 Posts

from the sound of it, we should all go buy some more 997 GT3 variants....
i'll post a few WTB thread tomorrow.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:59 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

That makes sense, wifey must have slipped some meds in your root beer..
Old 03-21-2013, 01:04 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 603 Posts

I'd have to get a substantial discount to get a GT3 now. There are many other viable and cheaper cars available from other manufacturers. In my opinion, $130k+ is too much to spend if the car doesn't meet your needs.
Well, it depends on how you look at it - regular C2S is the same price or more with all go-fast and aero/sporty-look options, but is still not a match to GT3 (brakes, cooling etc). So if you want a more trackable 991, GT3 is actually a bargain. If you need just a track car, there are MUCH more cost-effective options to have as much or more fun, and most of them come with manual.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:00 PM
gmsracing
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I told my dealer that I wouldn't order a new Cayman S without the sport buckets. (If they do come, I would expect they would be available for the 911/GT3 before the 981 chassis cars.) Even though it is a different car, I feel the same way as you GT3 guys. I missed ordering the sport buckets on my '08 by about 6 months and I have regretted it ever since.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:05 PM
mike2727
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gmsracing
I told my dealer that I wouldn't order a new Cayman S without the sport buckets. (If they do come, I would expect they would be available for the 911/GT3 before the 981 chassis cars.) Even though it is a different car, I feel the same way as you GT3 guys. I missed ordering the sport buckets on my '08 by about 6 months and I have regretted it ever since.
+1

I think Porsche should give everybody that buys a GT3 a voucher for buckets seats at the option price (assuming they will become available later on), as a gesture to make up for the fail they did not make the buckets available in the first place.

In that way you can have the car by th eend of the year, with the buckets following later at the option price, and not the aftermarket price

Just a thought, Porsche should consider

Mike
Old 03-21-2013, 04:18 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

In the New Porsche catalog I just received in the mail you can buy what is called Sport bucket seats.
These seats looks like the old GT2 seats and works with airbags and has a built in airbag etc. Not the lightest but factory fit. If you cant work the link, Google Porsche 991 sport seats plus, result should yield a catalog in PDF, seats are on page 44.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...44158598,d.aWM
Old 03-21-2013, 04:21 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Here they are
Attached Images  
Old 03-21-2013, 04:57 PM
curtsm
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's the fine print at the end of the brochure:

The models featured in this publication are approved for road use in Germany. Some items of equipment are available as extra*cost options only. The availability of models and options may vary from market to market due to local restrictions and regulations.

- curt
Old 03-21-2013, 05:02 PM
mike2727
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tgavem
Here they are
Thanks, but those are the seats that are optional in ROW, but not useable for the US, due to airbag issue (smart airbag)
I assume the catalog is a generic english version and not specifically for the US market

Mike
Old 03-21-2013, 05:30 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mike2727
Thanks, but those are the seats that are optional in ROW, but not useable for the US, due to airbag issue (smart airbag)
I assume the catalog is a generic english version and not specifically for the US market

Mike
Spitballing here.....if the issue is the "smart airbag" then only the passenger's seat would be involved. I wonder if the driver's seat has any connection problems? Having different seats isn't ideal but....just a thought.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:06 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

That is horrible since more GT3's are bought in the US than anywhere else.
I will read the fine print next time. :-(

Quick Reply: MAJOR FAIL! No Sport Bucket Set Option (6 point harness seats) WOW!