Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAJOR FAIL! No Sport Bucket Set Option (6 point harness seats) WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 05:59 AM
SWO
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another question would be if the plates to bolt in the clubsport roll bar are in the US version ala early 997.1s.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:59 AM
mike2727
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StirlingMoss
Can't you order the car outside US and bring it in yourself? With bucket seats and clubsport package.
I am sure you could, but you would lose your warranty on the car and pay more for the car

Mike
Old 03-13-2013, 11:26 AM
jenk12m
Banned

I heard you wouldn't lose the warranty it just goes down to only 2 years.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:46 AM
mike2727
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jenk12m
I heard you wouldn't lose the warranty it just goes down to only 2 years.
I did not know that, but it still would not make sense since in the US the car is +/- $ 20k cheaper add to that shipping the car
Compared to buying and installing the seats, one harness and rollbar $ 11k ?

On top of losing 2 yr warranty

Mike
Old 03-13-2013, 11:56 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by StirlingMoss
Can't you order the car outside US and bring it in yourself? With bucket seats and clubsport package.
It's possible, but is a major hassle and expensive. First, you have to pay the European price for the vehicle. Then you have to ship it across the pond. Most significantly, you need to apply for permission to import it - since it's a version not approved by the government drones in the US. More time, more money, and it still may not get approved.

I looked into doing this in the past with a Euro-only vehicle. While possible, it nearly doubled the cost of the vehicle. Of course, there are brokers who will handle all the paperwork, but they don't do it for free.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:42 PM
mike2727
Rennlist Member

This i what somebody on 6speed told me that put in the GT2 buckets in his 991 C2S
Quoted;
the connector under the seat is identical but the weight sensor/airbag wiring in the seat may be different. Therefore, I get an error message and an alert telling me that the side airbags won't work. The dealership is not able to resolve the issue. My usual shop told me they could work on it and they they would try to find a wiring diagram but I am not pushing for it. I have my seats swapped during the pre- and post-track inspections (30 min job, 2 x 4 bolts) and enjoy the heated & ventilated 18-way seats for daily driving.The real solution would be to get 991 bucket seats from Europe (same as GT2 seats but with proper wiring). They are not imported/sold in the US, but Suncoast was going to give it a try for someone else I think. The bucket seats are not even on the car configurator for the GT3 in the US*[end quote]

So we seem to have to wait until they sell the Euro GT3 seats aftermarket or that Porsche gets to its senses and offers buckets as an option

Mike
Old 03-13-2013, 12:48 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You shouldn't loose the warranty in this case. As long as you have Porsche headquarters and the car is under warranty it should be covered.
I worked for BMW headquarters in South America, and they went thru this scenario several times, bottom line was whenever the car was legally imported, they had to cover under warranty.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:41 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by mike2727
the connector under the seat is identical but the weight sensor/airbag wiring in the seat may be different. Therefore, I get an error message and an alert telling me that the side airbags won't work. The dealership is not able to resolve the issue.
Bingo. This is exactly what I predicted would be the problem. The dealership will not have the capability of reprogramming for this seats as they did in the past because this is not an 'acceptable' use for the seats. We are up the creek unless someone figures out an aftermarket solution, which may be precarious given that we are talking about airbags.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:52 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 144 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Bingo. This is exactly what I predicted would be the problem. The dealership will not have the capability of reprogramming for this seats as they did in the past because this is not an 'acceptable' use for the seats. We are up the creek unless someone figures out an aftermarket solution, which may be precarious given that we are talking about airbags.
I coulld be wrong, but I read that quote as saying that someone tried to install commonly available 997 GT2 buckets in a 991S. Not saying it's ideal, but 991 Euro GT2 buckets are available and seemingly should work.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:00 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I coulld be wrong, but I read that quote as saying that someone tried to install commonly available 997 GT2 buckets in a 991S. Not saying it's ideal, but 991 Euro GT2 buckets are available and seemingly should work.
Maybe. My hunch is that the seats are still the same (why go through the cost and hassle of changing seats that work just fine), but the programming to accept them is different and the dealerships are unable/unwilling to make the appropriate changes to accept the seats. This is purely my pessimistic take.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:57 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

What's the possibility that the reason sport buckets aren't offered in the US has something to do with child seat/safety rules?
Old 03-13-2013, 03:28 PM
mike2727
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I have not seen the Euro 991 GT buckets being available in the aftermarket
In ROW you have them as an option for the C2/C4, but Carnewal does not show them on their web-site

Mike
Old 03-13-2013, 06:44 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

So 997 Sport Bucket Seats will not work in a 991 die to the weight sensor?

Sooner or later someone in the USA will figure out how to get the 991 weight sensore onto a 997 Sport Bucket seat and make them work. However since air bags are controlled by the government and insurance company's are involved I wonder if these seats would be OK to use since they have not been DOT tested in a 991 int he USA?
Old 03-13-2013, 07:16 PM
mike2727
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
So 997 Sport Bucket Seats will not work in a 991 die to the weight sensor?

Sooner or later someone in the USA will figure out how to get the 991 weight sensore onto a 997 Sport Bucket seat and make them work. However since air bags are controlled by the government and insurance company's are involved I wonder if these seats would be OK to use since they have not been DOT tested in a 991 int he USA?
I am sure you might be right, but look around on the road, and I would say that 30% of the cars out there will have something added / substracted that does not carry the DOT approval
So I wonder how big an issue that would be ?, even in an accident

I think if the 991 Bucket seats are installed (if they can be bought aftermarket) they should hook up fine with the wiring in the car, because I cannot belive there will be a difference in harness between the US and ROW 991 GT3's

Mike
Old 03-13-2013, 07:29 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

FYI Something I posted on another thread but may have been covered off here already...

PS. By way of making our USA brothers feel better - i cant understand all the hurrah about the sports seats offered in the GT3! These are heavy folding non adjustable seats that like the 993 hardback sport seats I have look lovely but offer no real benefits for 4000+ USD (they are not standard on ROW GT3s you have to tick a 3000 Euro options box!). I have rode in a 991 with these seats and apart form looking lovely they only offer marginally more lateral support and are compromised by their folding design. Quite frankly I dont think they were every designed for something like the GT3 as why would you bother with folding seats in a clubsport or standard spec car - no one can sit back there (no restraints etc).

I believe its a bit of storm in a tea cup about these seats. The real dissapointment is you cannot at this time order a proper pucker nomext one piece lightweight recaro bucket seat from factory and we already know why that is (legislation).

I believe taking the no cost sport plus factory seats makes the most sense and then junk them on track days for a pair of purchased separately 5 hole Recaros with side brackets and sliders for a saving of 2000 USD over these half assed sports seats that ook lovely but are noyt light at all (Id guess the sports seats offered ROW are weighing only 10-15kg each lighter than the factory standard seat as tehy still have full sliders, folding mechanism and airbag). A good racing shell will save you 25-30kg a shell and offer fat better lateral support for track work...

again all IMHO!

Quick Reply: MAJOR FAIL! No Sport Bucket Set Option (6 point harness seats) WOW!