Sponsored by:

The 991 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2022, 10:40 AM
ParadiseGT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 916 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by white6speed
This opinion seems less about facts and more about hope for a market collapse.
Does seem curiously GT3-specific sometimes, doesn't it? Like, the downfall will disproportionately affect what is obviously one of the greatest cars ever created.

Similarly, been trying to convince Miami Beach property owners that the real estate collapse is coming for them, very specifically. Better sell now at ½ list. No luck, so far.

More seriously… exchanged with a high-end dealer sales mgr not long ago. They're confident in the sustained value of GT3/RS relative to most other luxury autos. Willing to cut recession deals in some spaces, but GT3 will be one of the last. Also cited likely 992 RS values.

In his words, they're "trying to move the POS's." (GT3 wasn't in that category.)

My personal favorite automotive Armageddon prediction is shaping up nicely, though -- 500 Urus listed on cars.com as of this a.m. But cheapest one with <10,000 mls still in the 230's.

Compare to fewer than 100 RS's of every gen.

Whether you're an individual auto enthusiast or dealer with inventory, which one are you holding through a downturn again? The rebadged Audi in the mid-200's over the .2 RS?
The following users liked this post:
Randy M (10-10-2022)
Old 10-10-2022, 11:24 AM
Longi
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ParadiseGT3
Does seem curiously GT3-specific sometimes, doesn't it? Like, the downfall will disproportionately affect what is obviously one of the greatest cars ever created.

Similarly, been trying to convince Miami Beach property owners that the real estate collapse is coming for them, very specifically. Better sell now at ½ list. No luck, so far.

More seriously… exchanged with a high-end dealer sales mgr not long ago. They're confident in the sustained value of GT3/RS relative to most other luxury autos. Willing to cut recession deals in some spaces, but GT3 will be one of the last. Also cited likely 992 RS values.

In his words, they're "trying to move the POS's." (GT3 wasn't in that category.)

My personal favorite automotive Armageddon prediction is shaping up nicely, though -- 500 Urus listed on cars.com as of this a.m. But cheapest one with <10,000 mls still in the 230's.

Whether you're an individual auto enthusiast or dealer with inventory, which one are you holding through a downturn again? The rebadged Audi in the mid-200's over the .2 RS?

Anyone reading this forum will agree with you on the desirability - both relative and absolute - of RS models over "designer accessories" like the Urus.

The broader microeconomics are the fascinating bit. Everyone with assets has been enjoying significant appreciation over the past two years. Luxury goods benefited disproportionally, and attracted a number of buyers seeking extraordinary returns from constrained supply and spiky demand. Get your name down on a GT3, a Urus, even a Corvette, and pocket tens of thousands.

That works so long as supply constraints and heated demand remain in place. At this stage, inventory levels suggest that supply constraints are not exactly there anymore (149 992 GT3s, 500 Urus, etc). And overall demand is cooling off at aggregate level due to increased cost of credit and more cautious outlook - though granted this isn't impacting the cashed-up segment as much, perhaps.

Now, everyone who got a 992 GT3 in the hope of a rapid, profitable flip really, really wants to sell it at the prices we were seeing 6 months ago. That Miami condo owner is the same. Their expectations will take some time to adjust. It took 18 months for the adjustment to wash through markets in 2008/09, I imagine it will take a while this time around, too.

In that context, I expect that genuine classics will fare better than new cars. But I can't help but think that the broader forces at play here mean a correction is in the air. No Schadenfreude, except for some remarkably arrogant dealers whose time will come, I hope.

The following 3 users liked this post by Longi:
GT3 Mike (10-10-2022), neoprufrok (10-10-2022), ParadiseGT3 (10-10-2022)
Old 10-10-2022, 12:31 PM
ParadiseGT3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Longi
Anyone reading this forum will agree with you on the desirability - both relative and absolute - of RS models over "designer accessories" like the Urus.

The broader microeconomics are the fascinating bit. Everyone with assets has been enjoying significant appreciation over the past two years. Luxury goods benefited disproportionally, and attracted a number of buyers seeking extraordinary returns from constrained supply and spiky demand. Get your name down on a GT3, a Urus, even a Corvette, and pocket tens of thousands.

That works so long as supply constraints and heated demand remain in place. At this stage, inventory levels suggest that supply constraints are not exactly there anymore (149 992 GT3s, 500 Urus, etc). And overall demand is cooling off at aggregate level due to increased cost of credit and more cautious outlook - though granted this isn't impacting the cashed-up segment as much, perhaps.

Now, everyone who got a 992 GT3 in the hope of a rapid, profitable flip really, really wants to sell it at the prices we were seeing 6 months ago. That Miami condo owner is the same. Their expectations will take some time to adjust. It took 18 months for the adjustment to wash through markets in 2008/09, I imagine it will take a while this time around, too.

In that context, I expect that genuine classics will fare better than new cars. But I can't help but think that the broader forces at play here mean a correction is in the air. No Schadenfreude, except for some remarkably arrogant dealers whose time will come, I hope.
Solid perspective. Hopeful that what will wash through the automotive market is the adm and flipper routine, with autos instead being valued according to ownership experience.

That's why I'm a 991 buyer at current prices. The absolute and relative value/ownership experience is all there for the $. And so long as real or synthetic fuels are pumping, long-term desirability is a certainty.

As I've said before, don't blame anyone for anticipating lower prices, holding out for a deal. That very well may pay off in the near-term. Frankly, I don't care what happens to values near-term, and I hope that more get into enthusiast hands.

Many dealers just think prospective 991 buyers will blink first. And it won't take many blinks to fundamentally reshape the supply/demand dynamic. I've seen this happen with performance autos far less desirable than the GT3.
The following 2 users liked this post by ParadiseGT3:
GT3 Mike (10-10-2022), neoprufrok (10-10-2022)
Old 10-10-2022, 02:05 PM
maroli
Three Wheelin'

Received 471 Likes on 271 Posts

There may be no other luxury car out there that is as poised for as dramatic a re-pricing as an Urus lol
The following 3 users liked this post by maroli:
achenator (10-10-2022), itrsteve (10-10-2022), ParadiseGT3 (10-10-2022)
Old 10-10-2022, 02:25 PM
mnawa
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 133 Posts

you can tell when a car dealer is lying by looking to see if their mouth is moving.
The following 2 users liked this post by mnawa:
GT3 Mike (10-10-2022), welikethetrack (10-10-2022)
Old 10-10-2022, 02:43 PM
Burren
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 258 Posts

You're right, we aren't quite at the correction point yet (on a lot of things, not just luxury cars). It took time in the '08 crash to actually "happen". But, if you look at the info, we're damn close to that edge now. Russia/Ukraine is another insane variable.
Old 10-10-2022, 03:00 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,464 Likes on 2,812 Posts

Originally Posted by maroli
There may be no other luxury car out there that is as poised for as dramatic a re-pricing as an Urus lol
G wagons are probably about to be (or already in) a meltdown from peak.
The following 3 users liked this post by rk-d:
GT3 Mike (10-10-2022), maroli (10-10-2022), ParadiseGT3 (10-10-2022)
Old 10-10-2022, 03:10 PM
ParadiseGT3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mnawa
you can tell when a car dealer is lying by looking to see if their mouth is moving.
Haha, granted, but no incentive for lying on this one. Perhaps just out of habit

Speaking of honesty, I wonder how many prospective owners who are expecting maximum negotiability from dealers right now would budge more than 5-10k on a resale.
Old 10-10-2022, 03:51 PM
maroli
Three Wheelin'

Received 471 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
G wagons are probably about to be (or already in) a meltdown from peak.
I was actually going to add 'other than maybe G wagons' but don't keep up to date with the SUV market - I had a feeling it would crash because I knew someone who ordered multiple G Wagens just to hoard and flip which is behaviour that should be very familiar to anyone who lived through an asset bubble before.
GT3 Mike (10-10-2022)
Old 10-10-2022, 04:26 PM
GT3 Mike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,054 Likes on 570 Posts

It is also irritating that a significant portion of deliveries this year were not to enthusiasts, but to people hoping to make a quick buck - while a large number of enthusiasts and Porsche loyalists were unable to buy a car. This must hurt at some level.

Let it collapse and burn, I say.
I missed the last two years of tracking a GT3 because of a speculated pump and my refusal to buy into it. I'm patiently waiting for the tables to turn !
Old 10-10-2022, 04:28 PM
ParadiseGT3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by maroli
I was actually going to add 'other than maybe G wagons' but don't keep up to date with the SUV market - I had a feeling it would crash because I knew someone who ordered multiple G Wagens just to hoard and flip which is behaviour that should be very familiar to anyone who lived through an asset bubble before.
Been so fascinated by the Urus I hadn't kept up with the G market, but wow, turns out there are 642 G listings over the same model years as the Urus. Going to be one hell of a race to the bottom of the glamour SUV market. At some point a G wagon would make sense for towing my worthless GT3 to the demolition derby.
maroli (10-10-2022)
Old 10-10-2022, 04:45 PM
ParadiseGT3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GT3 Mike
I missed the last two years of tracking a GT3 because of a speculated pump and my refusal to buy into it. I'm patiently waiting for the tables to turn !
Mike, what's your number, MSRP or under? Lots of fuzzy downward value speculation in this thread, where's a real buyer waiting?
Old 10-10-2022, 04:59 PM
welikethetrack
Burning Brakes

Received 673 Likes on 365 Posts

@GT3 mike and Longi....that is exactly why the market is collapsing and will for awhile.

It is all these cheap @ss carsandcoffe crowd people that don't actually want the car, but they hear GT cars never depreciate!!! Well.....I know where that sentiment ends up every time.

Once the cheap @sses (like the last 992gt3 on BAT who was in over his head as he stated) head for the hills when they see the values drop.....there will be a dumb amount of GT's for sale (already are way too many for sale, but the dealers are trying to hold prices up as long as they can lol)

Then you will have to pick from these (When they are all rare.....what is really rare?):

996.Gt3
997.1gt3
997.1gt3rs
997.2gt3
997.2 gt3rs
997.gt3rs 4.0
991.1 Gt3
991.1gt3rs
991.1 911r
991.2gt3
991.2 gt3rs
991.2 speedster
992.1 Gt3
992.1 gt3rs

I myself will be going Gt4rs next
The following 2 users liked this post by welikethetrack:
GT3 Mike (10-10-2022), porscheflat6 (10-10-2022)
Old 10-10-2022, 05:09 PM
GT3 Mike
Rennlist Member

Mike, what's your number, MSRP or under? Lots of fuzzy downward value speculation in this thread, where's a real buyer waiting?
I would say if you took away the Covid pump, standard depreciation from 2019. I've waited this long.. I have no problem waiting longer until the blood is thoroughly running in the streets.
Old 10-10-2022, 05:11 PM
GT3 Mike
Rennlist Member

Mike, what's your number, MSRP or under?
Ohh... WAY under msrp. I would second guess a 992.1 at msrp + tax right now.

Quick Reply: The 991 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...