Sponsored by:

The 991 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2022, 10:27 AM
Matt-R20
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Trader114
agreed. Whereas the first birch one was owned by a Porsche guy, he knew everything about the car, and it had super low miles. I could get confident with that one, but the other seemed like it had more uncertainty, which is going to hurt sight unseen bids.
I was the seller of the first Birch Green car. There are 2 issues here, first, a reserve that high just doesn’t make sense. The point of the reserve is not to get the top of the value window its to get the bottom. My car was set at $190 as my window was $190 - $210. BAT really should be pushing back more, but I guess the auction competition is driving some of that.

The second issue is 2 bidders on a bright green 991.2 were sucked out of the market, you bought the Linden car and Lebron bought my car. A lot of the value is dependent on willing bidders ready to buy, or having been frustrated recently trying to buy. I’m super shocked that BAT put 2 birch green cars back to back, that is really a disservice to the owner. I would have likely asked to have my listing pulled if I was second.

With the super high pricing on 992 GT cars, I don’t expect too much softness on 991’s, the new stuff has dragged up the older ones.

Old 10-07-2022, 11:03 AM
Rod27
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 162 Posts

Lebron won’t fit….doubt he can drive stick.
Old 10-07-2022, 11:31 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

The following users liked this post:
IrwinMFletcher (10-07-2022)
Old 10-07-2022, 11:43 AM
Rod27
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Maverick787
sounds like you are proving my statement with that video of an automatic and an open top that his head doesnt hit....thx
Old 10-07-2022, 12:14 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,508 Likes on 2,828 Posts

Originally Posted by Rod27
He could be buying it as a gift
Old 10-07-2022, 12:26 PM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Received 2,487 Likes on 1,346 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Wonder if he lowered the seat all the way down. If so no way he could drive with the roof on comfortably and a rollover accident means the top of his head will be kissing the pavement.
Old 10-07-2022, 12:52 PM
cooler2442
Rennlist Member

Received 1,584 Likes on 842 Posts

Lots of higher mileage(16-30k) 991.1 RS's popping up for 180kish now, I have a feeling they'll have to go even lower with this softer market and the higher miles.
Old 10-07-2022, 02:09 PM
Phattymcgee
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts

My Lebron hate is so big. Dude cries non stop during games and prematurely called out that cop last yearish that shot the girl who was trying to stab another girl. I hope you left a big turd in it for him!
The following 4 users liked this post by Phattymcgee:
Burren (10-07-2022), nilrents (10-07-2022), spyderbret (10-09-2022), thinkingmonkey (10-08-2022)
Old 10-07-2022, 02:19 PM
Rod27
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Phattymcgee
My Lebron hate is so big. Dude cries non stop during games and prematurely called out that cop last yearish that shot the girl who was trying to stab another girl. I hope you left a big turd in it for him!
i dont hate him.....i just hate that he's so influential and he's a communist who influences young people into thinking the same stupid things
The following 2 users liked this post by Rod27:
Burren (10-07-2022), thinkingmonkey (10-08-2022)
Old 10-07-2022, 02:28 PM
welikethetrack
Burning Brakes

Received 723 Likes on 394 Posts

The 992 market has undoubtedly brought up the 991 market, which is why it will ultimately drag it down.

992 market is in free fall, there's an all time high 149 992 GT3's for sale on autotrader right now. They will be sticker in 6-9 months.
Old 10-07-2022, 02:31 PM
wkf94025
Rennlist Member

Received 538 Likes on 248 Posts

Loving the spirited religious debate here. Many good points being made. Couple thoughts across the spectrum:
  • I sold my first Porsche, 99 996 NA on BaT in July 2020, for a very strong price at the time. That was my first (but not last) BaT listing. I received fantastic coaching in the several months before by a BaT buddy who has sold 11 Targa's on BaT over the years. He was SUPER helpful in how to bait the hook to get a bunch of tuna hitting hard. And it worked. Exhaustive documentation. PPI, DME. Paint gauge readings. Full honesty. Great responsiveness. Quality photography and videography. Oh and BONE stock, including CDR radio. BaT bidders love stock, in general. The game plan seems obvious, if you watch enough BaT auctions, but it's amazing to me how few sellers put the full package together. My reserve was $18k, my barely-satisfied goal was $20k, my reasonable result was $22k, and my ear-to-ear-grin threshold was $24k. I hit just over $30k. That magical chime with each new bid is unforgettable.
  • No one has talked here about zip code. Listing being in CA I think is a material advantage for Porsches. Not that one can/would relocate for the sale, but for vehicles below $100k, bidders tend to become more shipping-sensitive. Of course I'm biased, but nowhere I'd rather list a Porsche than in CA. Much higher chance bidders can come inspect in person, which is huge.
  • In early 2020, I bought my 996 TT on BaT. My walk-away was $50k, but I exceeded that by $2,500 and won. Original owner, bone stock except radio, PPI by me after hammer but before consummating the deal (would have walked if nightmares uncovered by PPI), and full documentation, manuals, keys, etc. I think it's a long-term hold, but if not, seems I'm in the money by a modest amount, including total cost of ownership. Big believer in parking $ in quality Porsches.
  • Bought my lean spec 2018 GT3 last month on BaT. About $30k over MSRP, before BaT fee. No regrets, and would buy a non-FAL iron-rotor 6speed again in a heartbeat. Doubt I'll take a beating if/when I sell, but that's just my opinion. Is my buyer pool smaller without FAL, PCCB, PDLS, Bose and extended tank? Probably. But the right presentation and zip code will produce a strong result, IMHO, unless we're literally in the middle of WWIII. There are GT buyers who want a serious track machine / canyon carver, and non-FAL, iron rotor 6spd with full carbon buckets is their minimum spec.
  • Sharkwerks has a great animation on their web site as to how to enter a typical driveway with a low clearance lip (i.e., non-FAL). Works like a dream. Thanks Sharkwerks.
  • I agree with the Birch Green back-to-back comment. I'd not seen that color before, and it grew on me during the first auction, but IMHO that first sale absorbed a substantial % of the Birch Green lovers (i.e., 1) currently in the market.
  • Someday I might really open up the wallet and spec a new car, if I can ever find a dealer willing to deal, but for now, I wouldn't pay new for PTS. Great to see the color spectrum, especially on BaT, but wouldn't pay $30k premium for that in a new or used purchase today. Guards Red, then Metallic Black, and now white are perfectly fine for my needs.
  • As to overall GTx market values, my wife and I were discussing Silicon Valley real estate yesterday. As our market here softens, she observed yet again that quality homes always sell, attract multiple offers, and often go quickly, and over asking. It's the marginal homes that take the biggest beating when rates rise, war looms, pandemics rage, jobs reports suck. Quality always sells. Applies to the GTx market 100% in my opinion. Will we see % fluctuations as a function of macro economics? Absolutely. Though I contend owners/sellers have much more control over the outcome than Jerome Powell or Putin or Zelensky.
  • No place I'd rather have a single digit percentage of my net worth than in quality Porsches. Do I wish my 996TT and GT3 production pool were 1/10th of their actual size? Of course. But that wouldn't change one iota how much fun each is to drive, to wrench, to look at, to listen to.
Mi dos centavos...
The following 2 users liked this post by wkf94025:
Guaji (10-07-2022), thinkingmonkey (10-08-2022)
Old 10-07-2022, 02:41 PM
Phattymcgee
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts

i dont hate him.....i just hate that he's so influential and he's a communist who influences young people into thinking the same stupid things
I would agree with that statement. But I still hate him an irrational amount!
The following 3 users liked this post by Phattymcgee:
Burren (10-07-2022), neoprufrok (10-07-2022), Rod27 (10-07-2022)
Old 10-07-2022, 03:36 PM
Bruce911_
Pro

Received 515 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
I am an active buyer in the market right now for a Touring. Here are my impressions, for anyone interested

While it's true the market on Porsches have softened as a whole, strong cars will continue to get strong money. They didn't make many 1.2 Tourings and the fact is that there are a lot of people who prefer it to the 992, myself included. Nevermind that 992 Tourings are asking 300s (thought I doubt closing at those prices). The 1.2 Touring is one of the best looking water cooled 911s ever made.

FAL is an absolute dealbreaker for me - every Touring I've seen is equipped with it. Not having FAL is a pretty big outlier and a hard pass. It's not even about value at that point - the car is simply not considered. I've owned plenty of lowered cars, all without it, but a GT3 would not get in and out of my driveway without a panic attack.

Not having Buckets and PCCBs aren't dealbreakers, but value takes a real hit.

Full body PPF and CPO is a pretty nice thing to have - personally I think CPO adds about $5k in value and PPF probably a few thousand - even more on a black car.

A car with a roll cage is not a big deal, but I'd have to assume it's been tracked which is a bigger deal. A tracked car needs a PPI and I would have to inspect it personally. I know some say all cars need a personal inspection and PPI, but I'd disagree.

For Tourings, I think a strong spec (LWB, PCCB, extended leather) with CPO, PPF, single owner, no stories gets in the 230+ range. PTS adds $30k if not more for a desirable color.
I agree with your assessments. I was lucky to get a 992 Touring and also kept my 991 Touring so I could compare them. I ended up keeping the 991 and selling the 992. I have a long list of things that I prefer on the 991 and I’m super happy I didn’t sell it when the 992 came in. I have no intention of selling the 991. They are special cars and will be even more special in the future.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bruce911_:
neoprufrok (10-07-2022), SantaFePorsche (10-09-2022)
Old 10-07-2022, 03:40 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 726 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce911_
I agree with your assessments. I was lucky to get a 992 Touring and also kept my 991 Touring so I could compare them. I ended up keeping the 991 and selling the 992. I have a long list of things that I prefer on the 991 and I’m super happy I didn’t sell it when the 992 came in. I have no intention of selling the 991. They are special cars and will be even more special in the future.
Care to elaborate? I have a deposit (that will likely never materialize into an allocation) for a 992.1. I have a 991.2 winged GT3 now. I've read that the double wishbone is a game changer.
Old 10-07-2022, 03:43 PM
TheDangerZone
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
I am an active buyer in the market right now for a Touring. Here are my impressions, for anyone interested

While it's true the market on Porsches have softened as a whole, strong cars will continue to get strong money. They didn't make many 1.2 Tourings and the fact is that there are a lot of people who prefer it to the 992, myself included. Nevermind that 992 Tourings are asking 300s (thought I doubt closing at those prices). The 1.2 Touring is one of the best looking water cooled 911s ever made.

FAL is an absolute dealbreaker for me - every Touring I've seen is equipped with it. Not having FAL is a pretty big outlier and a hard pass. It's not even about value at that point - the car is simply not considered. I've owned plenty of lowered cars, all without it, but a GT3 would not get in and out of my driveway without a panic attack.

Not having Buckets and PCCBs aren't dealbreakers, but value takes a real hit.

Full body PPF and CPO is a pretty nice thing to have - personally I think CPO adds about $5k in value and PPF probably a few thousand - even more on a black car.

A car with a roll cage is not a big deal, but I'd have to assume it's been tracked which is a bigger deal. A tracked car needs a PPI and I would have to inspect it personally. I know some say all cars need a personal inspection and PPI, but I'd disagree.

For Tourings, I think a strong spec (LWB, PCCB, extended leather) with CPO, PPF, single owner, no stories gets in the 230+ range. PTS adds $30k if not more for a desirable color.
Hey rk-d, good to see you here on the 991 GT3 side of things. Still loving my 993 and my recently acquired Touring is the perfect complement for me. I've been watching the market for a long time and agree with your ball park. While down a bit from peak, I don't see the bottom completely falling out for Tourings. There has certainly been a more noticeable cooling in the winged market.
The following users liked this post:
rk-d (10-07-2022)

Quick Reply: The 991 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...