Sponsored by:

Great AMERICAN 964s for sale

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 12:25 AM
Dtronics
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SP2000
I'm waiting for the inevitable I have the exact same car and it's amazing, the best car you'll ever drive comments. BaT is such a joke, but it's entertaining.
I hear you. I honestly feel bad for some of the buyers on BaT. I know 3 people that have bought cars on BaT and all 3 have dumped major money almost immediately.

There are some honest sellers and there have been some solid 964’s listed on BaT. Tarek’s has some nice driver 964’s listed and he’s always very honest, some of these other ones though, it’s sad. Guys like Anthony (965) do a great job trying to inform people but I’ve seen his comments get deleted.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:38 AM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SP2000
If you're dumb enough to send someone $50K for a car based on a few pictures and comments from strangers, well you're a dumbass and kinda get what you deserve when the car ends up being a pile of dog****.

Maybe it's just me but I'd never buy a car sight unseen whether ebay, Bat, whatever. No matter what car it is, they'll be one close enough for me to go see in person eventually.

Also with Bat, the majority of peanut gallery comments are from people who own the same car they're commenting on. So of course all the comments will be positive. It's in their interest to pump the prices high as it makes their cars worth more too. Yet the myth is comments are some type of objective info for potential buyers. Like I said earlier, a total joke.
Couldn't agree more. Buying something like this sight unseen is idiotic. The pitfalls are gigantic. But that’s the point, BAT does ZERO to protect the buyer. Every time I see one of their listings that people are just gushing about I have this vision of a bunch of BAT employees watching the action, in San Fran, wearing their AllBirds tree runner sneakers in a Patagonia vest with their latte in hand laughing. Makes me sick...meanwhile super well written and informative posts by guys like 965 get jeered at and deleted while the rest of the fan boys circle jerk each other in their own self interest.

🤮
The following 2 users liked this post by Lorenzoh:
2nd Chance (10-22-2019), 9SIX4-C4 (10-17-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 12:54 AM
Dtronics
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorenzoh
Couldn't agree more. Buying something like this sight unseen is idiotic. The pitfalls are gigantic. But that’s the point, BAT does ZERO to protect the buyer. Every time I see one of their listings that people are just gushing about I have this vision of a bunch of BAT employees watching the action, in San Fran, wearing their AllBirds tree runner sneakers in a Patagonia vest with their latte in hand laughing. Makes me sick...meanwhile super well written and informative posts by guys like 965 get jeered at and deleted while the rest of the fan boys circle jerk each other in their own self interest.

🤮
BaT = proceed with caution
The following users liked this post:
9SIX4-C4 (10-17-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 01:16 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,635 Likes on 2,318 Posts

buy the seller not the car.
I bought a few cars in my time.
90% of them I bought sight unseen.
but I do chit chat with owner.
and then decision is made.
perhaps I got lucky. I have not yet bought a bad car, finger crossed.
but stick to your guts don't be bottom fisher.
plenty good seller out there like tarek (whom I met) and holt (whom I tried to buy from but no luck, cars I want from them sell within 2 min of their posting).
lots of bad seller too.
The following 3 users liked this post by mooty:
911Jetta (10-17-2019), 9SIX4-C4 (10-17-2019), DTMLGND (10-17-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 01:27 AM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
buy the seller not the car.
I bought a few cars in my time.
90% of them I bought sight unseen.
but I do chit chat with owner.
and then decision is made.
perhaps I got lucky. I have not yet bought a bad car, finger crossed.
but stick to your guts don't be bottom fisher.
plenty good seller out there like tarek (whom I met) and holt (whom I tried to buy from but no luck, cars I want from them sell within 2 min of their posting).
lots of bad seller too.
glad you chimed in. I happened to meet the owner of the Baltic blue car I mentioned earlier because it was being detailed by the same guys who apparently detail all your cars.
I chatted with the owner for quite a while and he expressed to me how disgusted he was with his experience on BAT and how much paint correction the car actually needed.
Point is, and I think from what you’ve said, picking up the phone and talking to a real seller rather than posting a bid online are two completely different things, with two completely different results.
The following 2 users liked this post by Lorenzoh:
2nd Chance (10-22-2019), 9SIX4-C4 (10-17-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 09:52 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,237 Posts

I have seen the full spectrum of 964's sold on BaT along with other 911's including a blue DP turbo a few weeks back, from the very worst to the somewhat decent. The decent cars needed about $10k and the paint was not as advertised, the bad cars were far worse than I thought and needed at least $50k in work to fix all the issues.

The red RSA looked like a nice car yesterday although this one I would stay away from. It is quite interesting how a few years ago most all early engined cars I saw had their engines fixed per the TSB by the factory. Since then I think that number is down to about 5%.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:35 AM
SP2000
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

If you find the car you want and it's not nearby, fly out and see it in person. It's a few hundred dollars in airfare to avoid $15K surprises.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:40 PM
JesusFast
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts

Feeler...

Sexy link...Click here..super safe.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:00 PM
djbooya
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How is BaT any different then purchasing a car from anywhere online in terms of "protecting the buyer"? Are there ANY sites that protect the buyer? I don't think I ever thought of BaT as anything more than a "marketplace" to find ads.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:04 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

We all know Singer is hording a lot of 964 shells for their future conversions. It's not often mentioned, but I'm not surprised, that others are doing the same also.
Here's a comment from a AP Car Design post earlier this year:

"964 C2 Coupe Switch....
The interest and boom in a 964 coupe has had a massive impact on used car prices over the last few months. Singer has filled up his warehouse in the us with about 80 base vehicles. The world market is empty... used vehicles have gone into swinging dimensions. We have also prepared for this customer interest and have filled up our warehouse for a long time.
Sven from Berlin we hereby fulfill his heart desire for a rare 964 C2 Coupe.
The Classic Sliding Grey and oak green is now followed by the classic sliding grey university. Twenty-five.
The restoration at the customer's request is now starting. Be surprised."

Old 10-17-2019, 01:41 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by djbooya
How is BaT any different then purchasing a car from anywhere online in terms of "protecting the buyer"? Are there ANY sites that protect the buyer? I don't think I ever thought of BaT as anything more than a "marketplace" to find ads.
BaT is a 6 day opportunity to buy a car. I don't know about you but assuming you can setup an appointment to go and see it in person within the 6 days you are bidding on a car that has on average been misrepresented. At least if you find a car in a for sale ad or a dealer you can always make a deal to buy the car based on an acceptable PPI or personal review and move forward from there. This way you can protect yourself. Buying one of these without a PPI or seeing it first hand is almost a guaranteed disappointment and potential expense.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:59 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

For anyone saying the prices are coming down on 964’s I would say that is true for the higher mileage cars that need lots of work. Lower mileage, well cared for examples are changing hands at the same prices as earlier this year. If the nicer example is any color other than red, white or black the prices jumps and they still sell fast. The market isn’t soft, it’s just saturated with examples that need lots of $$$ to make them decent. The good cars are scarce.
911Jetta (10-17-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 02:04 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

^^^ Very true. That is because those that have the nice examples know it and don't want to let them go or ask strong money.
Old 10-17-2019, 02:12 PM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

Received 625 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
^^^ Very true. That is because those that have the nice examples know it and don't want to let them go or ask strong money.
you better believe we know it! You as well @cobalt.

The 964 is my preferred drive out of the entire stable TT included. There’s just something nostalgic about it.
911Jetta (10-17-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 02:13 PM
SP2000
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
For anyone saying the prices are coming down on 964’s I would say that is true for the higher mileage cars that need lots of work. Lower mileage, well cared for examples are changing hands at the same prices as earlier this year. If the nicer example is any color other than red, white or black the prices jumps and they still sell fast. The market isn’t soft, it’s just saturated with examples that need lots of $$$ to make them decent. The good cars are scarce.
The markets aren't separated by some barrier. It's all one market. If the low end falls, the high end falls eventually. There's a premium paid for high end and that premium is static. If it's let's say $25K, then when the low end falls in price, the high end falls as well to keep that $25K premium in place.

Sellers never set the price for any transactions, buyers always set the price (not just for cars for anything). He who writes the check sets the price.

The entire air cooled market is transitioning from a seller's market over the past decade to a buyer's market. It's a slow burn, with a lot of gyrations, ie it's not a straight line down. But long term, prices are coming down. There will always be exceptions for unique items, one of a kind, ultra low mile stuff. But generally speaking, the boom days are over.

Quick Reply: Great AMERICAN 964s for sale