Great AMERICAN 964s for sale

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 11:48 AM
bbakerga
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear end damage?

Originally Posted by Bloose993TT
Yeah. Definitely has been smacked in the a$$ after viewing the pics. Probably gonna pop up from a flipper soon.
Hi. I'm new to Porsche and RL, but I've been doing body/paint/restoration all my life. In person, I can spot body/paint work that most "experts" can't... but help me out on this one. I don't see what you guys are talking about with obvious rear end damage.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:52 AM
bbakerga
5th Gear

Originally Posted by clubrcr
Help me understand this, $40K bid, 6 days to go, salvage title, partial records and it is wrapped? I get it only has 43K miles.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...1-carrera-2-8/

From the description:

"The Carfax shows that junk and salvage titles were issued in June 2002 followed by rebuilt titles from 2004 onward"
I saw this last night and was extremely puzzled as well. My only thought is that they didn't read the listing very carefully and missed the part about the title history. ...or maybe they are just rich and stupid. Or... maybe they used this car to commit a heinous crime and they NEED to buy it back and destroy the evidence.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:18 PM
BLACK3.2
Pro

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by bbakerga
Hi. I'm new to Porsche and RL, but I've been doing body/paint/restoration all my life. In person, I can spot body/paint work that most "experts" can't... but help me out on this one. I don't see what you guys are talking about with obvious rear end damage.
Thank you. Me neither.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:26 PM
s4vant
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

look at picture 19 of 90
Old 10-09-2018, 12:29 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,089 Posts

If you're referring to the blue car on eBay:
I suspect they are looking at the seams and welds of the open engine bay. I just eyeballed mine and don't see it immediately, the spot welds and seams look same.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:30 PM
BLACK3.2
Pro

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by s4vant
look at picture 19 of 90
The eBay listing only has 24 photos
Old 10-09-2018, 12:37 PM
bbakerga
5th Gear

Originally Posted by s4vant
look at picture 19 of 90
I only see 29 pictures... I looked at the open engine bay photo in more detail, and maybe what they are seeing is the support that runs between the quarter panels in front of the rear bumper. Those stamped areas seem like they might be funky, and the rear edge/line seems to wander... but I don't yet know this car well enough, I guess.

Good eye, guys. This is why it's scary buying a car online.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:37 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Regardless the car was worth $43k
Old 10-09-2018, 12:38 PM
tjb616
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarek307
Geez, it took them 6 months to get you the title? ok that's another story, definitely wouldn't get over it in that case. I actually think a dealer has 90 days to get you title or you can take the car back by law no questions asked. 6 months is ridiculous.
Just under six, to be fair. But it's not the slow DMV I have an issue with. It's the fact that they deliberately tried to hide this from me by saying they never received my bank wire in order to buy time, then continued to lie to me throughout the entire process, and would go silent for weeks while I asked for updates. If they were honest and up front about the situation, I wouldn't be hell bent on deterring people from giving them business.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:58 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

I only see 29 pictures... I looked at the open engine bay photo in more detail, and maybe what they are seeing is the support that runs between the quarter panels in front of the rear bumper. Those stamped areas seem like they might be funky, and the rear edge/line seems to wander... but I don't yet know this car well enough, I guess.

I can't tell paint work by pictures but missing engine bay stickers, welds seem off and the whole rear end seems to sag. Rear wheel gaps are weird also but that might be due to spacers. Don't buy these cars without an expert seeing them in person is the moral of the story. Clean CarFax doesn't mean much.

Old 10-09-2018, 01:06 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

I can't tell paint work by pictures but missing engine bay stickers, welds seem off and the whole rear end seems to sag. Rear wheel gaps are weird also but that might be due to spacers. Don't buy these cars without an expert seeing them in person is the moral of the story. Clean CarFax doesn't mean much.
FWIW, the missing stickers, the seller did state the previous owner had the whole car painted. Not sure why didn't talk to him. But, its common for clear coat colors like this to have clear coat issues as the paint processes then were not like today... and this car being Metallic blue should have had a clear coat.

The bolts holding the rear light on are not correct.

on the welds, I compared them to my car, they look the same in the pictures.

Its hard to tell based on the wheel well gaps etc, would have to see it in person.

Regardless if hit, this car even if it needed 10-15k in work (and it probably does) was worth the asking. Rare color and generally clean looking original car.

Last edited by Spyerx; 10-09-2018 at 01:49 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:57 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
FWIW, the missing stickers, the seller did state the previous owner had the whole car painted. Not sure why didn't talk to him. But, its common for clear coat colors like this to have clear coat issues as the paint processes then were not like today... and this car being Metallic blue should have had a clear coat.

The bolts holding the rear light on are not correct.

on the welds, I compared them to my car, they look the same in the pictures.

Its hard to tell based on the wheel well gaps etc, would have to see it in person.

Regardless if hit, this car even if it needed 10-15k in work (and it probably does) was worth the asking. Rare color and generally clean looking original car.
A bunch of stuff looks off including the trunk latch also. I'm no expert on welds just giving my 2 cents. Since the previous owner owns a body shop and repainted the car I consider that a red flag to begin with. Photo evidence supports something is off but you'll never know the extent of it until you have an expert put eyes on it. Could be minor. I agree $43k is fair price and it will probably need a bunch of expensive work to get it sorted.

Anyhow on the opposite end of the spectrum. Look what popped up on BAT

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...911-carrera-2/
Old 10-09-2018, 03:07 PM
997Pilot
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Anyhow on the opposite end of the spectrum. Look what popped up on BAT

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...911-carrera-2/
That is a very nice build. if the interior color was different i think they would have sold it for the $90,000 they were asking on ebay.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:13 PM
s4vant
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

sorry guys, i thought you were referring to the wrapped car on bat...

Originally Posted by BLACK3.2

The eBay listing only has 24 photos

Old 10-09-2018, 03:13 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 997Pilot
That is a very nice build. if the interior color was different i think they would have sold it for the $90,000 they were asking on ebay.

No heat, No Cats, No sales in California hurts it too. Nice car. Looks like that shop does very nice work.

Quick Reply: Great AMERICAN 964s for sale