Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Great AMERICAN 964s for sale

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 05:38 PM
Matt Andrews
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Always fun to read the detail, Anthony. Thank you.

Curious, with all the detail in their write up and documentation of the paint metering, why didn't they paint meter the hood? Did I miss something?
Old 09-16-2019, 06:13 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 859 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
The only other 94 964 turbo I have seen that was as nice was Frank 993C2S's Midnight blue which was a beautiful example. All original paint and unique one of one rear seat delete option on a turbo.
Boy I miss that car but my "ratty" C2 is actually a better driver.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:55 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,153 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Originally Posted by bweSteve
chuckling here Cobalt,... but you know me,... I've crawled in, around & under your car on several occasions,... and you & i have actually competed against each other at Werks Reunion. The only thing I'll call you out on with this PCarMarket Cobalt 3.6 for sale,... is that you yourself have never laid you eyes on it. Prominence & History are great of course,... but you know you should have seen this car in person by now, to give such glowing support. It's the only way to judge all the nooks & crannies. And you know my car, and that I'm a perfectionist.

.... and of course I'm being hard on you cuz you can't come down and join BadBoys Mike & me on the Oct 5th weekend.
=Steve
Steve you should know me by now. You also know if I could be down on the 5th I would be. I have just too many events and projects on my plate and not enough time, not to mention my health issues. I did invite you to our zone event September 20-22nd and Mike should be attending since he is in Zone 1 our 40th year since John Paterek started the event and you should be joining us. So there LOL I'm so busy I am missing todays advanced DE at the Glen

You know I know these cars from every aspect. Not only the cosmetic as concours judge of 20+ years along with participating in Judged events since the 80's when we held concours events at the Porsche headquarters in Orangeburg NY, but every aspect of the mechanical. My only limitation is transmissions which I prefer not to work on although I am currently working on a tip trans which is actually an old VW 4 speed with some Porsche parts. I have focused on the 94 turbo 3.6's specifically even more than any other 911 and although some nice examples have come up for sale I can pick out a respray vs stock paint from the pictures and have done so on countless cars.I also have a large database on the history of many of the 94 turbos. I am sure some who I have helped would happily chime in on how I was able to pick up on things prior to them buying saving them from potential headaches without ever seeing the car in person. I can't tell you how many 964 and 993's I look at for potential buyers needing assistance, although the number is getting close to needing a coma if not already exceeded. I like to see good cars go to good people. By now I usually don't need to actually see any car if I have the 'right' pictures I can tell you its story.

Although I never met the owner of this turbo we discussed the car in detail while he was considering buying it. He had no reason to feed me false info since he was buying and not selling, in fact the other way around. I also have a pretty good feel for honest people vs the rest. I hang out with you and Mike don't I. I always recommend a PPI and the car should not be purchased without one. I speak with such assurance on this car because of all the cars I have looked at, Judged, worked on etc the other two US spec cobalt blue turbos along with the only other cobalt blue I found in the world with black interior have always been on my radar and I have known this car since 2006. I judge it against the condition of my car which I think you can agree is quite good. I know a good car from a bad one and this is one of the few I am willing to go out on a limb and say is one worth considering paying up for. Unless something happened I am not aware which I highly doubt, I see no reason to see it first hand to stand behind my comments.

Everything I have said is with sincerity and I see no reason to change my opinion. If this were the same car in another color and I know its history and condition as well as I do this one I would speak out the same way.

Last edited by cobalt; 09-16-2019 at 06:58 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:07 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Andrews
Always fun to read the detail, Anthony. Thank you.

Curious, with all the detail in their write up and documentation of the paint metering, why didn't they paint meter the hood? Did I miss something?

Very valid point. Although the hood has some larger stone chips that have been touched up the chips appear to be the same as what i saw a number of years back. Matching cobalt is a tough task and even harder is getting it to color shift properly. I am not aware of any paintwork on this car although I would inquire about the hood readings. That is why I always recommend a PPI on any car. I won't sell a car without the owner having one performed.

BTW here is the 4 sale ad from Premier which set the entire turbo market on edge when this car sold for $175k when turbos weren't breaking into 6 figures yet. You can match up some of the stone chips in the pictures others I assume came later.

https://www.premiercars.com/vehicle-...6e9f6ebdd6fa74

Also this is SAMikes old Signal green which brought strong money despite the paintwork. IMO the Cobalt car is on par if not nicer despite the stone chips.

https://www.pcarmarket.com/auction/1...-signal-green/

Last edited by cobalt; 09-16-2019 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:20 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

I have been kicking around adding a Cab to the mix, and Oak Green is one of my favorite colors.

I don't mind working on the car but in all fairness my skills are somewhat limited. I wont be doing a full rebuild in my garage nor am I able to do body work.
That being said I am not afraid to tackle most jobs. The car below is sort of rough if you asked me. That's okay, I want a driver, and not a garage queen. Small dings and nicks dont bother me, rust does.

Take a look and let me know what you think. Pictures 15 and 16 bother me as the rear really looks askew in them, but in picture 6 and 7 the rear looks fine. Also what's going on
in pic 84 or are those just mounting point for the underside tray that's been removed?

It looks like the bones are decent on this car. Over time I'll refresh the entire interior. I have a nice set of cup 1's already. I'll probably go through the whole car myself over the winter.

I would appreciate the comments of the collective knowledge base here (cobalt ) keep in mind I'm okay with a driver.

Thanks in advance to all

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-carrera-2-14/
Old 09-19-2019, 03:36 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by Trader220
I have been kicking around adding a Cab to the mix, and Oak Green is one of my favorite colors.

I don't mind working on the car but in all fairness my skills are somewhat limited. I wont be doing a full rebuild in my garage nor am I able to do body work.
That being said I am not afraid to tackle most jobs. The car below is sort of rough if you asked me. That's okay, I want a driver, and not a garage queen. Small dings and nicks dont bother me, rust does.

Take a look and let me know what you think. Pictures 15 and 16 bother me as the rear really looks askew in them, but in picture 6 and 7 the rear looks fine. Also what's going on
in pic 84 or are those just mounting point for the underside tray that's been removed?

It looks like the bones are decent on this car. Over time I'll refresh the entire interior. I have a nice set of cup 1's already. I'll probably go through the whole car myself over the winter.

I would appreciate the comments of the collective knowledge base here (cobalt ) keep in mind I'm okay with a driver.

Thanks in advance to all

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-carrera-2-14/
A couple of observations:
- Drivers side fender may have been repaired at some point
- Drivers side rear quarter paint is failing and its likely the car will need a partial respray to bring it back
- Car appears to have been driven in salt, white corrosion on the aluminum engine parts
- Suspension likely needs a refresh, no mention that it was done
- Engine’s never been out, likely the soft parts are leaking and will need to be replaced
Old 09-19-2019, 05:27 PM
stutt911
Banned

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

How bad does a different color repaint effect the value? I usually wouldn’t go for a repainted one but I think I’m driving to @Tarek307 to see it this weekend, the color looks so good.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...iti-paint.html
Old 09-19-2019, 05:50 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
A couple of observations:
- Drivers side fender may have been repaired at some point
- Drivers side rear quarter paint is failing and its likely the car will need a partial respray to bring it back
- Car appears to have been driven in salt, white corrosion on the aluminum engine parts
- Suspension likely needs a refresh, no mention that it was done
- Engine’s never been out, likely the soft parts are leaking and will need to be replaced
There are clear signs of the timing chain covers and possibly the seal from the timing chain box to case leaking. I would suspect that other rubber parts need addressing as well. So expect some expense there. I agree with the rest along with signs of dry CV joint boots which might not be an issue now but will soon be. The drivers seat is shot clearly and needs work and the top has holes so another large expense to fix properly. I found that 85% of the time delaminating gage faces are a result of long term storage with moisture in the car possibly from the roof. Some of the photos appear to have new rear lenses and others show older faded lenses with cracks. I am assuming the new lenses come with the car. That front smile was a good smack so it might take some pounding to straighten.

No leak down or compression numbers and no paint meter readings so it is hard to say but it appears to be a solid cab and for close to the current bid could be a fun car to play with but if you're paying someone I would put a min of $10k for needs on the list over the next year or so.

So the cobalt blue 3.6T sold and i am shocked that the owner was willing to take a hit like that. The new owner got a great deal but I am assuming the modified interior and interior color hurt it. Overall it was a bargain in 3.6T language and I have seen lesser cars bring more money. Is the market slowing? possibly or it just could be the questionable economy for now. In either case that car IMO was worth more than the signal green car that sold for $333,600 all in the cobalt car sold for $310,762 all in. Strong money but not close to what the prior owner had into it and far less than other turbos I have seen with full resprays bring. I won't sell mine but would never let it go for so little. Although I have all the original parts from my car which might have also hurt this car.

I would never have used Pcarmarket to sell the car I think that was another mistake.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:20 PM
Sirenty
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by stutt911
How bad does a different color repaint effect the value? I usually wouldn’t go for a repainted one but I think I’m driving to @Tarek307 to see it this weekend, the color looks so good.

Looks like this weekend is too long. He sold it in 4 hours. It did look really good, but I was wondering about that custom heater bypass. Seems like more work than just buying a plastic one?
Old 09-19-2019, 07:29 PM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

Received 627 Likes on 362 Posts

Not Cobalt but 3.6. I rather spread the $$$ on 3 or 4 cars with this asking price but for those in here into the rarity of these last year run 964 turbos, this may be a 'good deal'.

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1155931
Old 09-19-2019, 07:49 PM
LAcarguy
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it me or did that look like a screaming deal compared to some in the low 60s?
Old 09-20-2019, 09:47 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JAB12
Not Cobalt but 3.6. I rather spread the $$$ on 3 or 4 cars with this asking price but for those in here into the rarity of these last year run 964 turbos, this may be a 'good deal'.

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1155931
If you want a nice one that is the buy in. Very different cars from the N/A 964 and IMO worth it if you have the $$. I would be hard pressed to sell my C2 but it would go long before the turbo. The C2 is a more interactive and engaging car but the turbo is a rush to drive. I always climb in and say why do I still own this then I drive it for a while and I remember.

Nice example reasonable price for the miles but Metallic black is almost as common as white and usually doesn't help. People usually want unique and rare colors with these cars.
Old 09-21-2019, 03:31 AM
997Pilot
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Sirenty
Looks like this weekend is too long. He sold it in 4 hours. It did look really good, but I was wondering about that custom heater bypass. Seems like more work than just buying a plastic one?
I still don’t understand how almost every car he gets sells so fast once he offers it up, he had a 92 Targa i was eying for 4 months he wouldn’t sell it and last week out of nowhere he lists it and it was gone in 3 hours.
Old 09-21-2019, 03:36 AM
997Pilot
Racer

If you’re looking for a coupe he has this one too, I don’t think he sold it yet according to his Instagram . Saw this car at Angeles crest on a drive 2 years ago when he first owned it, really nice car, he sold it then I guess recently acquired it again.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-c2-coupe.html
Old 09-21-2019, 03:39 AM
997Pilot
Racer

If you would consider a cab here is a really good deal.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-5spd-cab.html

Quick Reply: Great AMERICAN 964s for sale