Sponsored by:

Great AMERICAN 964s for sale

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 02:33 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Originally Posted by SP2000
The markets aren't separated by some barrier. It's all one market. If the low end falls, the high end falls eventually. There's a premium paid for high end and that premium is static. If it's let's say $25K, then when the low end falls in price, the high end falls as well to keep that $25K premium in place.

Sellers never set the price for any transactions, buyers always set the price (not just for cars for anything). He who writes the check sets the price.

The entire air cooled market is transitioning from a seller's market over the past decade to a buyer's market. It's a slow burn, with a lot of gyrations, ie it's not a straight line down. But long term, prices are coming down. There will always be exceptions for unique items, one of a kind, ultra low mile stuff. But generally speaking, the boom days are over.
I have to disagree. The nice need nothing cars are still commanding strong money and in some cases I have seen people pay more recently than a year ago for a supper clean nice example. People are realizing that buying a $50k car with a lot of needs can easily run you into the $80k+ range when you're done and then you have a car worth $65-70k. So those who know what they are looking at know it makes more sense to buy a clean needs nothing car and be happy. Can't tell you how many people I know that purchased these with higher miles for $50k and have almost double into them by now and are still not fully sorted.

I am actually seeing the nice cars still rising and the rest settling out making the gap between the best and worst much greater than it ever was.
The following 2 users liked this post by cobalt:
911Jetta (10-17-2019), QueueCumber (10-17-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 02:53 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I have to disagree. The nice need nothing cars are still commanding strong money and in some cases I have seen people pay more recently than a year ago for a supper clean nice example. People are realizing that buying a $50k car with a lot of needs can easily run you into the $80k+ range when you're done and then you have a car worth $65-70k. So those who know what they are looking at know it makes more sense to buy a clean needs nothing car and be happy. Can't tell you how many people I know that purchased these with higher miles for $50k and have almost double into them by now and are still not fully sorted.

I am actually seeing the nice cars still rising and the rest settling out making the gap between the best and worst much greater than it ever was.
That is exactly what I’m seeing also. The neglected 964’s are all coming out of the woodwork with sellers trying to cash in on the frenzy but buyers are finally getting more savvy and not jumping in blindly. The gap will continue to widen until it makes financial sense to restore the neglected cars.
The following 2 users liked this post by Marine Blue:
911Jetta (10-17-2019), QueueCumber (10-17-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 03:18 PM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 230 Posts
Default c4

You guys were on point I've been hunting for a DD candidate but no luck and instead got my self a 68k miles red branded titled 90 C4 and so far so good and ready to come home after updating everything. Previous owner hit a tree fixed the damage drove it for a year almost 8k miles and garaged it. Should be home next week.

Last edited by 2swoosh; 10-17-2019 at 03:19 PM. Reason: typos
Old 10-17-2019, 03:57 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorenzoh
Couldn't agree more. Buying something like this sight unseen is idiotic. The pitfalls are gigantic. But that’s the point, BAT does ZERO to protect the buyer. Every time I see one of their listings that people are just gushing about I have this vision of a bunch of BAT employees watching the action, in San Fran, wearing their AllBirds tree runner sneakers in a Patagonia vest with their latte in hand laughing. Makes me sick...meanwhile super well written and informative posts by guys like 965 get jeered at and deleted while the rest of the fan boys circle jerk each other in their own self interest.🤮

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
That is exactly what I’m seeing also. The neglected 964’s are all coming out of the woodwork with sellers trying to cash in on the frenzy but buyers are finally getting more savvy and not jumping in blindly. The gap will continue to widen until it makes financial sense to restore the neglected cars.
Agreed. Lots of stories about the cost of repairs/maintenance have come out since the major uptick in pricing. Seems like buyers are getting more savvy for sure.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:16 PM
djbooya
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
BaT is a 6 day opportunity to buy a car. I don't know about you but assuming you can setup an appointment to go and see it in person within the 6 days you are bidding on a car that has on average been misrepresented. At least if you find a car in a for sale ad or a dealer you can always make a deal to buy the car based on an acceptable PPI or personal review and move forward from there. This way you can protect yourself. Buying one of these without a PPI or seeing it first hand is almost a guaranteed disappointment and potential expense.
Agreed. I guess the point I was making is the other options to purchase (dealers, etc..) don't inherently protect the buyer either since you still have to do your due diligence. If a person doesn't do whatever due diligence they have time for with BaT it's no different then them walking into any used car lot (or online ad) and purchasing a car without a PPI, etc..
Old 10-17-2019, 07:07 PM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by djbooya
Agreed. I guess the point I was making is the other options to purchase (dealers, etc..) don't inherently protect the buyer either since you still have to do your due diligence. If a person doesn't do whatever due diligence they have time for with BaT it's no different then them walking into any used car lot (or online ad) and purchasing a car without a PPI, etc..
the difference is with BAT, they do not inspect the vehicles and they rely solely on the seller to be upfront and honest...which is inherently flawed. If people knew what goes on behind the scenes post purchase with a lot of the auctions, they’d be amazed. I know multiple people who have bought cars on BAT and EVERY one of them had problems with the cars not being as advertised.
Would I buy something on BAT. Sure, if it were something I really wanted AND I made sure to see it in person/inspect/PPI etc...just as I would with any vehicle. Brand new, or used.
The following users liked this post:
2nd Chance (10-22-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 07:28 PM
997Pilot
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

the difference is with BAT, they do not inspect the vehicles and they rely solely on the seller to be upfront and honest...which is inherently flawed. If people knew what goes on behind the scenes post purchase with a lot of the auctions, they’d be amazed. I know multiple people who have bought cars on BAT and EVERY one of them had problems with the cars not being as advertised.
Would I buy something on BAT. Sure, if it were something I really wanted AND I made sure to see it in person/inspect/PPI etc...just as I would with any vehicle. Brand new, or used.
nice rant! Of course anyone that has half a brain knows bat “don’t go out and inspect the car themselves” and anyone with quartet of a brain don’t expect them to.

obviously many great and happy transactions take place on bat, of course there are shady sellers once in a while, but your claim that every deal goes bad is bogus, and we would hear about it all over the forums and on bat itself in the comments.

you were banned from commenting on bat a while back for heckling and since then you have tried to complain about them every step of the way in a rather immature way.

anyone buying a car sight unseen needs to be attentive and careful or you choose known sellers that are trusted to buy from.

bat isn’t required to guarantee each car, they do require many photos and lots of info, I’ve submitted my 997 on there and it’s not a simple task, I’d say bat even raised the bar as to what’s expected from sellers in the amount of pics & videos usually, so stop whining.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:35 PM
997Pilot
Racer

Originally Posted by djbooya
How is BaT any different then purchasing a car from anywhere online in terms of "protecting the buyer"? Are there ANY sites that protect the buyer? I don't think I ever thought of BaT as anything more than a "marketplace" to find ads.
My exact sentiments, not sure what people are complaining about. It’s a marketplace , and you as a seller are required to actually submit many pics and usually videos and if you want to have a good listing need to submit records, inspection and so on, a lot more requirement than you would see on let’s say eBay or rennlist classifieds for that matter, as a buyer if interested in a car and want more info or have questions you just ask and wait for the info.

i have submitted my 997 ad 3 weeks ago and they keep needing additional info, so it seems to me they do a good job at least trying to get sellers to submit as much information as possible.

people here want to complain about anything and everything.
9SIX4-C4 (10-17-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 10:56 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,635 Likes on 2,318 Posts

glad you chimed in. I happened to meet the owner of the Baltic blue car I mentioned earlier because it was being detailed by the same guys who apparently detail all your cars.
I chatted with the owner for quite a while and he expressed to me how disgusted he was with his experience on BAT and how much paint correction the car actually needed.
Point is, and I think from what you’ve said, picking up the phone and talking to a real seller rather than posting a bid online are two completely different things, with two completely different results.
bingo.
I heard about the baltic car from detailer
sorry that the buyer had to suffer that, very unfortunate indeed
and as u correctly assessed, when I say by sight unseen, I don't mean buy it blindly.
from my work and so forth, it's my job to see if the seller if full of it or he really knows the car.
car need not be perfect, but description should be accurate "somewhat".
sure one guy's "sweating" of oil lines = another guy's "major leak"...
but it is an USED car. it wont be perfect
but any decent person realize there's a latitude of interpretation as well as out and out lie.
for me, its fairly easy to figure out the seller's intent and intergrity.
and I try to do the same when I sell
I had a car that drove great but the paint is well.... FK'D UP
I told the buyer with those words. car is great, drives fine pulls hard. but the paint is "fkd up" many chip.
if you don't like fkdup paint, then this is not. your car
of course car was priced accordingly.

some cars on BAT is really really good
some are so so
some are well... POS

BaT, Ebay, dealer, private....
I always buys the buyer not the car..
while it has worked for ME, YMMV
9SIX4-C4 (10-17-2019)
Old 10-18-2019, 12:43 AM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Originally Posted by 997Pilot
nice rant! Of course anyone that has half a brain knows bat “don’t go out and inspect the car themselves” and anyone with quartet of a brain don’t expect them to.

obviously many great and happy transactions take place on bat, of course there are shady sellers once in a while, but your claim that every deal goes bad is bogus, and we would hear about it all over the forums and on bat itself in the comments.

you were banned from commenting on bat a while back for heckling and since then you have tried to complain about them every step of the way in a rather immature way.

anyone buying a car sight unseen needs to be attentive and careful or you choose known sellers that are trusted to buy from.

bat isn’t required to guarantee each car, they do require many photos and lots of info, I’ve submitted my 997 on there and it’s not a simple task, I’d say bat even raised the bar as to what’s expected from sellers in the amount of pics & videos usually, so stop whining.
not a rant at all. Simply stating the facts as I know them...and as confirmed by other members here (Baltic blue car). Perhaps you’d be wise to take some reading comprehension classes? I never said EVERY car sold on BAT has issues as you erroneously stated. I said I have first hand knowledge of multiple purchases all of which went sour and the cars were not as advertised.

what’s your deal getting all pissy when someone posts REAL DATA ABOUT SALES?? I’m not making this up. And you are absolutely incorrect in assuming that if/when buyers are unhappy “we’d hear about it on the forums”. Most of the time, people don’t post about their bad experiences...just the good ones.
And I wasn’t banned from Commenting on BAT, just suspended for a while. I’ve made multiple posts since then. Again, do your research before you open your pie hole and best of luck with your 997...hopefully it’ll break $50k and you can finally get that 964 fixer upper you’ve been dreaming about.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:54 AM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Originally Posted by mooty
bingo.
I heard about the baltic car from detailer
sorry that the buyer had to suffer that, very unfortunate indeed
and as u correctly assessed, when I say by sight unseen, I don't mean buy it blindly.
from my work and so forth, it's my job to see if the seller if full of it or he really knows the car.
car need not be perfect, but description should be accurate "somewhat".
sure one guy's "sweating" of oil lines = another guy's "major leak"...
but it is an USED car. it wont be perfect
but any decent person realize there's a latitude of interpretation as well as out and out lie.
for me, its fairly easy to figure out the seller's intent and intergrity.
and I try to do the same when I sell
I had a car that drove great but the paint is well.... FK'D UP
I told the buyer with those words. car is great, drives fine pulls hard. but the paint is "fkd up" many chip.
if you don't like fkdup paint, then this is not. your car
of course car was priced accordingly.

some cars on BAT is really really good
some are so so
some are well... POS

BaT, Ebay, dealer, private....
I always buys the buyer not the car..
while it has worked for ME, YMMV
agree on all points and I’ve probably blown a few sales myself by being brutally honest with potential buyers. But I sleep better at night. Greed and dishonesty, while affording those doing it a quick buck, only hurts the the market as a whole. And that’s what I think were seeing now with 964s. It’s unfortunate, but it’s a reality. And that’s why clean honest cars and sellers will always command a premium.
Old 10-18-2019, 02:50 AM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Which Baltic Blue car are we talking about?

Here's the two recent sales I'm seeing and the 89 winner posted he his very happy with the car while the 90 didn't hit reserve.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-carrera-4-10/

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...11-carrera-28/
Old 10-18-2019, 11:15 AM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Originally Posted by Bloose993TT
Which Baltic Blue car are we talking about?

Here's the two recent sales I'm seeing and the 89 winner posted he his very happy with the car while the 90 didn't hit reserve.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-carrera-4-10/

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...11-carrera-28/
it was this one:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-954-c2-coupe/

and the comments after the sale were dead on.
Old 10-18-2019, 03:41 PM
997Pilot
Racer

it was this one:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-954-c2-coupe/

and the comments after the sale were dead on.
I can’t believe this is the car you keep mentioning over and over a 1993 with 150k miles that looks uncared for with even the wrong carpets Inside, sorry but if anyone bid on this and didn’t know it was a car that will need a lot of work then I have no pity for them Especially after all the warning comments pointing out issues , and surely I wouldn’t blame BaT.

also the car sold for $46,000 not like it went for $60 or $70,000 so in the end, being it’s a 93 C2 with no rust and runs it wasn’t a terrible deal.

im not here to defend BaT but your attitude and rants about how terrible bat is because they don’t personally “pre inspect the car and protect buyers” are laughable. Bat is a market place that’s it!
Old 10-18-2019, 04:29 PM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Originally Posted by 997Pilot
I can’t believe this is the car you keep mentioning over and over a 1993 with 150k miles that looks uncared for with even the wrong carpets Inside, sorry but if anyone bid on this and didn’t know it was a car that will need a lot of work then I have no pity for them Especially after all the warning comments pointing out issues , and surely I wouldn’t blame BaT.

also the car sold for $46,000 not like it went for $60 or $70,000 so in the end, being it’s a 93 C2 with no rust and runs it wasn’t a terrible deal.

im not here to defend BaT but your attitude and rants about how terrible bat is because they don’t personally “pre inspect the car and protect buyers” are laughable. Bat is a market place that’s it!
I mentioned that car once and then again when someone asked about it...hardly “over and over” as you suggest. But you seem to enjoy blowing things out of proportion so no surprise there. In that auction the seller was asked about the paint and he simply gave a paint meter reading. That was it. An honest seller would have disclosed all the poor repaint issues. All the warning comments?? There was one, mid auction. The rest didn’t come until after the auction close when the seller got pissy about Mr Beverly Hills accurate comments. Once again, get your facts straight.

You seem to like BAT. That’s great, good for you and good luck with your 997

Quick Reply: Great AMERICAN 964s for sale