Sponsored by:

Great AMERICAN 964s for sale

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 11:39 PM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

Received 627 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarek307
100% take off all those mods & you get more $$, maybe leave the wheels and brake ducts thats about it!
All Mods off and trade those 993 Twist wheels for Cup1s and you're in business. Good Luck!
Old 10-07-2018, 01:33 AM
tjb616
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by JAB12

They're dreaming if they think they'll get anywhere near that selling price for that junkyard Targa. So sad to see how some people just don't care about cars..how do you let a car like that deteriorate so much?. Probably bought it for $15K those guys and want to flip it for $40K. Yea OK! Good luck!
It's a coin flip as to if they even have a title for it.

Shame is, I would kill for a cheap 964 Targa project. But even if they were asking 10k, I wouldn't pick up the phone.
Old 10-07-2018, 02:59 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 324 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by tjb616
It's a coin flip as to if they even have a title for it.

Shame is, I would kill for a cheap 964 Targa project. But even if they were asking 10k, I wouldn't pick up the phone.
you need to get over the title thing! didn't you get your title? These big dealers buy cars that still have loans on them, pay them off and wait for titles to come in - it takes the DMV time to get that work done, you got your title, you got your car and sounds like you don't have a problem with the car, just how long the title got to get, c'est la vie, thats life, complain to the DMV!
Old 10-07-2018, 02:39 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

it is amusing to read this thread... much of it is cringe worthy and such a waste of energy

folks trying to find a bargain in the 964 market...

there are so many folks looking/wanting, yet so few around that have been 'undiscovered' by knowledgeable folks ... markets are never totally perfect but when there is enough interest in one like the 964 market, one has to operate on the fair assumption that real market imperfections are very very rare

i have chased down a number of 964 manual hardtop c2's lately... (i have no interest in verts, tips. targas, and i already have a nice c4 that is a keeper)... like folks here who have been around the block like mooty, chris n, anthony etc etc say -- when you factor in the rehab work that needs to be done (esp. if you pay shop rates) there are simply NO bargains... you pay now or you pay later... for a well performing, well sorted, well put together 964, modded or not

of course if you are prepared to have a broken down, sloppy, decrepit 964 and are prepared to live with it, then bargain hunt away!
Old 10-07-2018, 02:54 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

^^Agreed, there is no such thing as a bargain 964 or air cooled car in general. These cars are 30+ years old and need updating. You might get lucky and get one for less than market value but rest assured it will need a host of updates and improvements if you want to get the full 964 experience. For example if the car still rides on its original 4x4 ride height shocks/springs you are missing out. Updating the suspension is a Night and Day difference. Also remember that upgrading the suspension isn’t enough, you really want to have someone who knows what they’re doing perform a proper alignment with the upgraded suspension. That’s another $380 for the proper alignment. It doesn’t take long before you’ve spent $10k on just the basics. Engine out, that’s another $10k minimum so that bargain 964 isn’t a bargain anymore.

But I will say it’s worth it....
Old 10-07-2018, 03:21 PM
Ralph3.
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
^^Agreed, there is no such thing as a bargain 964 or air cooled car in general.
Engine, top end, suspension, tires and wheels, electrical it all adds up. Good luck finding a bargain.
Old 10-08-2018, 01:13 AM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarek307
you need to get over the title thing! didn't you get your title? These big dealers buy cars that still have loans on them, pay them off and wait for titles to come in - it takes the DMV time to get that work done, you got your title, you got your car and sounds like you don't have a problem with the car, just how long the title got to get, c'est la vie, thats life, complain to the DMV!

Dealer does not have to do anything with the DMV on a title. They pay off the loan, the seller has filled out paperwork selling the car to the dealer giving the loan holder (bank) authorization to assign the title and send the title to the dealership. The dealer can then assign the title to the next buyer. The only delay comes when the bank drags their feet after the dealer pays off the note.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:07 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 324 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Trader220
Dealer does not have to do anything with the DMV on a title. They pay off the loan, the seller has filled out paperwork selling the car to the dealer giving the loan holder (bank) authorization to assign the title and send the title to the dealership. The dealer can then assign the title to the next buyer. The only delay comes when the bank drags their feet after the dealer pays off the note.
Bank, DMV all takes time, thats why i like to have the title on hand when selling a car. I think a dealer or Private seller should be up front about the title situation, if they don't have it on hand that should be disclosed so the buyer knows what to expect time frame wise.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:14 AM
997Pilot
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

back on topic 1989 C4 in new mexico with engine and gear box rebuilt. looks like a good deal, the D90's even look fine on this one.

​​​​​​https://santafe.craigslist.org/cto/d...717391783.html
Old 10-08-2018, 04:16 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,725 Likes on 2,345 Posts

Originally Posted by Trader220
yes, that is the correct procedure and sequence. however, it doesn't always happen that way. I sell an buy a LOT of cars.
here is one example:
A sells a car to dealer with a lien
dealer flows the money, not pay of lien, claim car as inventory, put it up for sale.
stalls the seller on paying.
car sold in 6 weeks
collects the money from buyer
use that money to pay the lien
pay the equity to original seller
pay the debt off to the bank
gets title, then assign to buyer.
that takes approx 4 weeks in CA.
if dealer or private seller already have the title in hand, then it takes less than 4 weeks.
so there is indeed a time difference and some ppl (me) are extremely impatient.
but other buyer/seller may be ok with that. just want to make sure that they know there is a time delay in this example. the delay may be be 1 week, 2 weeks, 3 weeks, etc. but it is a delay nevertheless

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
it is amusing to read this thread... much of it is cringe worthy and such a waste of energy

folks trying to find a bargain in the 964 market...

there are so many folks looking/wanting, yet so few around that have been 'undiscovered' by knowledgeable folks ... markets are never totally perfect but when there is enough interest in one like the 964 market, one has to operate on the fair assumption that real market imperfections are very very rare

i have chased down a number of 964 manual hardtop c2's lately... (i have no interest in verts, tips. targas, and i already have a nice c4 that is a keeper)... like folks here who have been around the block like mooty, chris n, anthony etc etc say -- when you factor in the rehab work that needs to be done (esp. if you pay shop rates) there are simply NO bargains... you pay now or you pay later... for a well performing, well sorted, well put together 964, modded or not

of course if you are prepared to have a broken down, sloppy, decrepit 964 and are prepared to live with it, then bargain hunt away!
there are no bargain 964 bc you bought them all.
the diamond blue one I saw yesterday was the 57th in your warehouse? I think you have more of them then singers has in storage.
that said, I have bought a fraction of your collection, only 9 964's. there are NO bargain.
as I said with porsche, you pay now or you pay later, pay pay pay and keep on paying.

Originally Posted by cobalt
If your talking true clones or almost all the way there, now were talking a different story. Assuming all original parts were used. A good clone done to the highest standards and accuracy IMO can fetch upwards of 30 to 40% of the real McCoy these days.
Absolutely.
but no many ppl build cars right like you and spyerX does. I would pay him $61,398 for his red car any time
Old 10-08-2018, 10:35 AM
fasterlaster
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 997Pilot
back on topic 1989 C4 in new mexico with engine and gear box rebuilt. looks like a good deal, the D90's even look fine on this one.

That's one of the few '89s I've seen like mine with the chrome (or polished) D90s. No photos of the engine bay, wonder how tired it is?
Old 10-08-2018, 11:04 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,104 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
that said, I have bought a fraction of your collection, only 9 964's. there are NO bargain.
as I said with porsche, you pay now or you pay later, pay pay pay and keep on paying.

Absolutely.
but no many ppl build cars right like you and spyerX does. I would pay him $61,398 for his red car any time
Lets see i paid up, and i'm still paying. How does this work again?
You'd hate the red car now. First, it's red. Second, it smells funny and its kinda noisy.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:58 AM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 276 Posts

...but then some of the same people in this thread will try to convince a seller that their car isn't worth anything, attempt to buy it for a "bargain" and then go on to tell a future buyer how there are no bargains out there. #closetflippers
Old 10-08-2018, 01:02 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 77 Posts

closet flippers.....nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat...good one...
Old 10-08-2018, 02:23 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 997Pilot

Got to love CL. "Runs fantastic and is wicked fast"

Quick Reply: Great AMERICAN 964s for sale