Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Great AMERICAN 964s for sale

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 02:37 AM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 416 Posts

Been a long time since I've seen red interior on a 964. Agree it looks remarkably good for >100k miles but ad copy says "All Original Leather throughout the interior". Worth a call to investigate...
Old 02-02-2018, 08:44 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Originally Posted by signes
Been a long time since I've seen red interior on a 964. Agree it looks remarkably good for >100k miles but ad copy says "All Original Leather throughout the interior". Worth a call to investigate...
Supple leather matador red over black is a nice combination. The interior IMO has been reworked. It looks like a top notch job but Matador has some black marbling in it which does not seem to be present. I would guess the car has been completely detailed and possible respray of front bumper min. The tow hook plug is heavily oxidized which means they removed it when detailed or forgot to paint it.

If it was a C2 I would be considering taking a look at this one.

I saw an Amazon green with supple leather cashmere yesterday. Had 90k miles and the interior was in no where near this condition but tan does not hold up as well. Too bad the rest of the car was not as nice as this one.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:27 PM
cool whip
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 93 C4 Cabriolet

http://www.landmarkmotors.com/detail...-17194280.html
Just had 3K in service done from Squire's Autowerke

Last edited by cool whip; 02-02-2018 at 08:28 PM.
Old 02-03-2018, 12:25 AM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Point of reference I know of a reworked 89 C4 engine done three years ago. Machined the heads used all original parts and did not add the seals. Owner has daily driven the car since and has put many thousands of miles. So far no oil leaks. Whether it is a matter of time we will see but also who did the work makes a difference. Engine was rebuilt by a 50 year veteran Porsche engine builder.
machining the mating surfaces helps, but I’m surprised one would go to all that effort not to use seals. But, and I should have clarified, driven regurally, the leaking is minimized greatly. Cars that get a “re-seal” only to be driven a few thousand miles per year will start leaking again. These cars like to be driven, hard. That’s why a well maintained car with higher mileage ~150k shouldn’t be a concern.
I’d rather have that than a 28 year old garage queen with 30k miles.
Old 02-03-2018, 12:26 AM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Originally Posted by cool whip
http://www.landmarkmotors.com/detail...-17194280.html
Just had 3K in service done from Squire's Autowerke
great looking car. Wish it were closer to me.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:43 AM
NeinEleven
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 1 Post

It is slim pickings for 964 C2 coupes out there! Wonder if Singer is draining the market..
Old 02-05-2018, 03:51 AM
NeinEleven
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MA135
First, thanks for all the great info on this forum.

I am trying to decide if I should sell my 964. Sale is to pursue another car as financially and space wise I cannot have two 911's. Potential car would be a new Carerra T(I know what am I thinking selling an air cooled car for new) So either talk me off the ledge of selling it, or maybe talk me into in because you want to buy it. Here is a few pictures and info about my car. Let me know what you guys think it might bring price wise. I have trying to follow recent sales on here and other places to gauge prices, but thought you guys might have some further insight.

1991 C2 5 speed (Late year production run so it had the factory head gaskets), I am the second owner
85,000 miles
Color is Black with Beige interior
Car has sunroof and no other options from factory

In the spirit of full disclosure, this car is a driver, not a show car nor investment grade vehicle. However it is a very nice driver, I am extremely picky and meticulous and would not have bought this car if it was rough. I will disclose everything I know about the car, if I decide to sell, everything I know will be disclosed. Previous owner did some DE events with this car as disclosed to me upon my purchase, as some point the car did have roll bar installed and fire extinguisher. Both have been removed and the only evidence is underneath the car where you can see the holes that are patched for the roll bar.

Car has clean carfax, no evidence of any damage. Car underwent a thorough PPI at my time of purchase 1 year ago, he noted no signs of any damage to the car. Compression and leak down test were very good and I am happy to provide my PPI to interested parties if car becomes officially for sale. Engine pulls very strong. The only question that will come up is, hood was resprayed at some point during previous owners time. The hood sticker was reapplied as there is adhesive residue, but unfortunately the sticker came loose and was discarded but previous owner.

Car has partial service records. First owner went through several moves in which he unfortunately lost some of the records. So I have what he had, which to me amounts to about half to 3/4 of what he did. I have every receipt for everything I've done in my year of ownership.

Car is mostly stock other than what follows:
Fitted with Cup 1 wheels (unfortunately the D90's that were original did not come with the car)
Porsche 964 Series Cup Car Suspension from the Euro RS cars, I have receipt for this and install evidence by a reputable shop in New Jersey in late 90's.
3rd, 4th, and 5th gears have been shortened
Lightweight flywheel
Quaife LSD
Steve Wong Chip recently installed by me(programmed for primary muffler bypass and lightweight flywheel)
FVD primary muffler bypass pipe(I have original stock muffler)
Car had G-pipe setup when I bought it, I have retained that in case that is to next owners taste vs primary bypass.
Stock airbox was removed and replaced by cone filter by previous owner.(Let the debate on that one rage on)

Paint on the car is original except: Hood resprayed(could use another respray to be perfect), also just above the left rear wheel there was some touch up work done. You can see it up close but not from any further than 5-10 feet away. I would call the paint 7 or 8 out 10. If you wanted the paint to be near perfect, a hood respray and blend in of the area above wheel by good paint shop would be needed. I drive the car so I have personally elected to leave those two areas alone for now.

Interior is in excellent condition, I just purchased a brand new set of Coco mats as seen in the picture below. Has older aftermarket Alpine CD player installed by previous owner.

Car comes with factory manual, tool kit and air compressor.

As part of the partial service records, the only gap was when the last valve adjustment/15k service was done. Valves are however very quiet, but I will have the 15k service done soon and prior to any sale to have a baseline and offer the vehicle in good faith. No known engine issues, has very small trace amounts of oil around chain boxes that you tend to see on all these cars. New cap/rotor, plugs, brake fluid, battery, door window switch done 1 year ago.

Here are some pictures, let me know what you guys think. I would of course post many more detailed pictures if car officially becomes for sale. Thanks!
This is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. A C2 manual coupe that is meant to be driven yet still presents well. I will be honest with you and say there is no way I would get rid of that for a new Carrera T.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:54 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorenzoh

machining the mating surfaces helps, but I’m surprised one would go to all that effort not to use seals. But, and I should have clarified, driven regurally, the leaking is minimized greatly. Cars that get a “re-seal” only to be driven a few thousand miles per year will start leaking again. These cars like to be driven, hard. That’s why a well maintained car with higher mileage ~150k shouldn’t be a concern.
I’d rather have that than a 28 year old garage queen with 30k miles.
It was considered and the owner had the money. It was done by the suggestion of the engine builder who has done countless early 964 engines this way with similar results. Engines both driven and garage queens. How the heads and cylinders are machined is critical. I spoke to the owner recently and he claims 24k miles since the rebuild and no leaks period.

The later engines with seals shouldn't leak around the heads if properly driven, although all of these cars will have issues with the timing chain covers, mains seals and oil pressure sending units along with dried out oil hoses given time. Much of this is dependent on how the car is stored and driven.

My turbo has 38K miles and it has no leaks whatsoever. My C2 with 61k miles many track driven has no leaks whatsoever. Every car is different how it is driven is critical. I find more leaking engines come from owners who don't allow the engines to come up to temp before they get on them. When looking at these cars it is usually pretty clear once underneath whether the car will be a problem or not. I don't trust odo as many I have looked at I would say are far from accurate and many have had them rolled back or driven for 10's of thousands of miles with the speedo disconnected.

Generalizations about these cars can be a mistake. Here are pictures of the engine that now has 24k miles and he claims it sat all summer last year without driving it. he uses it primarily in the winter months.

Old 02-05-2018, 06:04 PM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Great pics and yes, if the machining is done well it's a good alternative. And as you mentioned, driving these things regularly is a great way to minimize any leaks. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:48 PM
Boeing 717

Received 263 Likes on 158 Posts

This is a pretty car.
Possible real cup 1 on left front and right rear although they look kind of like that French copy and then Mille miglia on right front and left rear. I'm seeing a lot of this mixing of wheels in ads lately.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F302628935209

Last edited by Boeing 717; 02-06-2018 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:48 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by Boeing 717
This is a pretty car.
Possible real cup 1 on left front and right rear although they look kind of like that French copy and then Mille miglia on right front and left rear. I'm seeing a lot of this mixing of wheels in ads lately.

That is a stunning color combo and if it was a C2 Targa or Coupe I would be tempted to sell my Targa for it.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:34 PM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Originally Posted by Boeing 717
This is a pretty car.

good eye. I’m also seeing a lot of single cup 1s for sale and same with non oems. Perhaps that’s why? The full set I just bought are awesome and I’m glad I pulled the trigger on them. Those combined with a new suspension totally changes the car. I remember doing the exact same mods to my 993 back in ‘03 and the results were identical.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:13 PM
964Carrera4
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 C4 cab $29K

Just spotted this on craigslist for Portland, OR. Lowest price I've seen in quite awhile, if it is what the ad claims.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/6481030182.html
Old 02-08-2018, 07:32 PM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Originally Posted by 964Carrera4
Just spotted this on craigslist for Portland, OR. Lowest price I've seen in quite awhile, if it is what the ad claims.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/6481030182.html
sounds like it is what it is based on the sellers description. But it also sounds like it needs about 20 grand in work.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:53 AM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 135 Posts

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifi...php?id=2143716

Quick Reply: Great AMERICAN 964s for sale