Sponsored by:

964 Prices

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2021, 10:34 AM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by palmxp3
Guess you can't take the pompous out of Beverly Hills either. That's great that you feel you have the nicer car. Good for you, you should be happy because this sale helped raise your own car's value. I hope you get all the money if you ever put it up for sale. That would mean all 964s have appreciated and owners of 964s should rejoicing, not the other way around. Good luck to you.
Forum posts are in imperfect medium at best and I am not comparing your car to mine, or implying one is better than the other. No need to make any of this personal, I should have written "car" out of the rustbelt instead of "boy. I apologize if you felt this was directed at you and not the car.
The following users liked this post:
9SIX4-C4 (06-14-2021)
Old 06-13-2021, 10:45 AM
Sirenty
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 184 Posts

I agree with Cobalt and bigsix. Don’t plan to sell so definitely not excited about value going up. In addition to what Cobalt said, if something does ever happen to mine, finding a replacement is going to be very difficult and/or cost me an arm and a leg. It’s like buying a house now. Competing with many offers, all over asking.

Raising values and scarcity means I have to be increasingly careful of anything happening to mine, which reduces the risks I take with it (e.g., track), which reduces my total enjoyment. If I had a backup, or several like Cobalt does, it’d be different.
Old 06-13-2021, 11:11 AM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 978 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
as the original paint scratched is more costly than it being totaled.
this is the thing that gets me the most. i love original paint cars - unless a car has had a phenomenal bare metal repaint, you can't duplicate an original paint car. i attempt to avoid paint damage at all costs and that limits where you might take the car.
Old 06-13-2021, 11:27 AM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 978 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by palmxp3
Those comments sure didn't sound inquisitive, more matter of fact.
you came on to promote your car on BaT and you should just let the couple of comments you didn't like go. you've been on RL for 11 years and, even with your recent posts, you're still under 50 posts total. you're clearly not here a lot and you used the forum to promote the auction. nothing wrong with that, but you really need to be able to take the good with the bad - especially from an audience that likely knows quite a bit about the nuances of the market. comments are never personal, they are and were car specific.
Old 06-13-2021, 12:15 PM
palmxp3
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rsabeebe
you came on to promote your car on BaT and you should just let the couple of comments you didn't like go. you've been on RL for 11 years and, even with your recent posts, you're still under 50 posts total. you're clearly not here a lot and you used the forum to promote the auction. nothing wrong with that, but you really need to be able to take the good with the bad - especially from an audience that likely knows quite a bit about the nuances of the market. comments are never personal, they are and were car specific.
You're right, my comments were more directed towards a specific poster whose comments didn't jive well with me. I should not have deviated from this thread's intended purpose. The fact is these cars are appreciating for good reason and buyers, sellers, and current owners need to accept that fact and adapt to their needs accordingly. Wherever you draw the line in terms of value, these are great cars and you should enjoy it. I wish you all good health and happy motoring. The 964 is a special car and I am glad to have owned it.
9SIX4-C4 (06-14-2021)
Old 06-13-2021, 12:45 PM
Noah930
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
????

I am actually quite upset that values have gone where they are. I don't plan to sell so it doesn't help me. I own 4 964's currently and enough parts to build another. Rising values IMO has killed the enthusiast and taken a lot of the fun out of what was once a huge part of the 911 culture. The enthusiast is a dying bread. The modern Air cooled buyer I see lately has never driven an a/c 911 before. The rear engine, floor pedal configuration always seems to impress the uninitiated. I enjoy every aspect of these cars and driving them is just a portion of what makes them great.

As I see it. The rising market has done me no good for some of my cars. It has cost me more for agreed value insurance, priced used parts into the stratosphere and make me paranoid about leaving my cars anyplace as the original paint scratched is more costly than it being totaled. If I am cruising on the highway there is always someone in a **** Box with their bumpers falling off flying by me in the right hand lane at some unsafe speed so he can say he passed a Porsche. I don't dare stop at a store, or I will have people harass me saying I want to buy how much? Which Model is this????.
That's what I have noticed about the 930 market. To wit, I used to hear people ask all the time how much maintenance costs were on a 930 compared to a n/a 911. Because prospective buyers were worried about whether or not they could afford the upkeep. I haven't heard that question in over 5 years. Because 930 buyers don't care. They're collectors, not drivers of these machines.

930s have never been common (other than maybe the parking lot at Rennsport), but on group drives there used to be at least 2 or 3 other turbos. Now, I'm usually the only one. Maybe one other.

The 930 market changed the owner group (for the worse IMO--less fun group for me). And now we're seeing the same phenomenon with 964 owners.
heliolps2 (11-13-2021)
Old 06-13-2021, 02:56 PM
abarthguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 283 Likes on 173 Posts

Easy enough to reverse the trend....
Sell your cars cheap!
The following 2 users liked this post by abarthguy:
2000m2 (06-13-2021), 9SIX4-C4 (06-13-2021)
Old 06-13-2021, 08:26 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

The ironic part of this for me is I only bought the 964 so my daughters could learn on it at the track and not beat on my 73 911T anymore, as it was too "precious". Their words, and they don't mean in terms of value but the 73 was a handful to drive, loud and awkward. Like a Beverly Hills Housewife.

Now the 964 is getting a new motor (and new wheels haha), I am reluctant to take it out weekdays in any kind of traffic. After I drop the bride at wherever we are going, I have to drive 3000 light years to a "safe" parking spot and trot back. (see attached photo of the greatest parking place ever)

Even so, the skyrocketing prices don't do anything for me, anymore than when a neighbor sells his house for all the $s; I am not moving nor selling the buy it and forget it stocks. Or my dad's watch

9SIX4-C4 (06-14-2021)
Old 06-13-2021, 08:40 PM
Scott Dunavant
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 125 Posts

Laughing reading your quote from selling my 930 years ago to a guy that flew in town to buy it and drive her hard on a St. louis Evening. Warped the Heads. Leaking oil everywhere within 6 hours of the purchase. I warned him not to drive the 930 when it's 95 degrees out. That said It's slightly difficult to drive 930's but as for my 964 I just bought she'll hold up better in St. Louis Summers.... evenings only when it's in the 90's. Gotta love air cooled!
Old 06-13-2021, 10:28 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by abarthguy
Easy enough to reverse the trend....
Sell your cars cheap!
Hah you first.....but please PM me first when you do
9SIX4-C4 (06-14-2021)
Old 06-14-2021, 08:14 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,101 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Originally Posted by rsabeebe
this is the thing that gets me the most. i love original paint cars - unless a car has had a phenomenal bare metal repaint, you can't duplicate an original paint car. i attempt to avoid paint damage at all costs and that limits where you might take the car.
Sadly this is why my turbo gets so few miles put on it lately. I brought it to a car show of some 700+ cars and some guy in his F 599GTB opens his door into it. Thankfully no damage was done but he gave me attitude looking down his nose at it saying it is just a car.🤬 I will be showing the car at the exclusive Bridge event that is by invite only in Sept. Forbes ranks it as one of the top three car shows to be invited to so I guess it is special enough.

I actually prefer my other 964's more these days as they have had some paint work or in some cases completely transformed so if anything happens it isn't original and I can always rebuild it not impacting the value. The **** box I purchased is the most fun of them all. Every go fast goodie a very strong engine better than Cup Car/RS power and all the rest with a cosmetically challenged body. I can do anything to the car and not care. All the fun and very few worries. Sadly people have offered me a $20k premium for it over what I paid and I paid more for it than my 93 C2 which was relatively pristine and had only 39k miles at the time.

This car was well sold and you should be happy with the price. I love these cars but if everything wasn't so insane and lack of chips wasn't impacting the market or inflation at its current level would these command such a premium? As much as I love my cars i am not so sure I would pay current market value for one. I would rather pay less and buy a car with needs and make it into what I want spending similar money.

Trust me you can't duplicate an original paint car because those paints are NLA but you can come quite close. My friend can replicate the orange peel and we have actually done such a good job on my C2 only a paint meter and the most well trained eye might tell if it has been painted or not. It looks so close to the original color and finish it is unreal. There are no visible paint lines even the finger tips would be fooled. The rain gutters came out better than factory which is probably the biggest give away.

Last edited by cobalt; 06-14-2021 at 08:19 AM.
9SIX4-C4 (06-14-2021)
Old 06-14-2021, 12:11 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Is it the light Anthony, it doesn't look like Cobalt Blue, did you go with another color?
Old 06-14-2021, 02:44 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Here we go again, this looks familiar, anyone on here? I am guessing this color combo/mileage should pull another record price.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...911-carrera-8/
Old 06-14-2021, 03:06 PM
Bigsix964
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Wayyyyy too much Oel in that puppy to be pegging the gauge at 8 o’clock.
Ralph3. (06-14-2021)
Old 06-14-2021, 03:58 PM
Ralph3.
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by misterbeverlyhills
Here we go again, this looks familiar, anyone on here? I am guessing this color combo/mileage should pull another record price.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...911-carrera-8/
I would get some H&R springs and trim rings for the headlights.

Quick Reply: 964 Prices