Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 Prices

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2021, 10:36 PM
Scott Dunavant
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 121 Posts

Out of my league today. It was fun hearing about the salvage 3.6 turbo's floating around. I was thinking real hard about buying 3.6 T Minty in 2009 but my second child came into the picture. I still have not seen that 3.6T rebuilt. I think it was $29,000 wrecked?
Old 05-12-2021, 07:27 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,949 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott Dunavant
Out of my league today. It was fun hearing about the salvage 3.6 turbo's floating around. I was thinking real hard about buying 3.6 T Minty in 2009 but my second child came into the picture. I still have not seen that 3.6T rebuilt. I think it was $29,000 wrecked?
Sadly today the engine and transmission alone are worth considerably more than $29k. It is hard to justify spending so much on a nearly 30 year old car. I purchased mine after talking to the previous owner and it came down to children first for him as well. I have contemplated selling mine once or twice but my family, especially my son, would shoot me LOL.
Old 05-26-2021, 08:40 AM
veleno
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Great thread for collecting data! I read a couple of pages back and the info here is priceless.

So here's my dilemma... I've come across a '91 C2 targa tip with about 33k miles and a clean title. Has a small oil leak somewhere (will be looking at it on the lift next week) and the interior will need some cleaning. Exterior has some sun damage, little rust around the rear glass, and had a repaint at one point. The car runs and drives (will be doing that next week as well) but was told the oil leaks onto the exhaust some it starts to smoke once the oil residue gets hot. I'm seeing prices starting at 35k and above depending on condition and other factors (color, body type, options, etc). The owner was wanting 30k but is reducing it due to the oil leak. I made an offer at 18k and hope they accept since they don't want to deal with it anymore. Would you say it's a good deal if I get the car at my offer or close to it (even with the oil leak)?
Old 05-26-2021, 08:48 AM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by veleno
Great thread for collecting data! I read a couple of pages back and the info here is priceless.

So here's my dilemma... I've come across a '91 C2 targa tip with about 33k miles and a clean title. Has a small oil leak somewhere (will be looking at it on the lift next week) and the interior will need some cleaning. Exterior has some sun damage, little rust around the rear glass, and had a repaint at one point. The car runs and drives (will be doing that next week as well) but was told the oil leaks onto the exhaust some it starts to smoke once the oil residue gets hot. I'm seeing prices starting at 35k and above depending on condition and other factors (color, body type, options, etc). The owner was wanting 30k but is reducing it due to the oil leak. I made an offer at 18k and hope they accept since they don't want to deal with it anymore. Would you say it's a good deal if I get the car at my offer or close to it (even with the oil leak)?
The prices you are describing even with it being a tip are well below market. Even on the high end of that range at such low mileage you will only win, even after the repairs expense. If he accepts your $18k, even the $30k then respectfully, that seller does not keep up with the market and most definitely does not read Rennlist. Great find. Good luck!
Old 05-26-2021, 08:52 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

A 3.6L engine is worth roughly $15k in rebuildable condition. In 1991 Porsche revised the engines starting with engine Serial number 62M52758 with the tiptronic trans. If the engine is an early engine it is worth a little less. If you can pick up any 964 for $18k it is a bargain. Leaks can be for many reasons and many times all that is needed is a reseal. Expect a full reseal to run around $8k if a rebuild is needed the cost can vary for many reasons but can run as much as $25k. At 33k miles (assuming that is a true number, I hate to say seems unrealistic as you describe it) even if you have $45k into it when done and being a tip it is still a fair pice considering only 1033 Targas were imported to the US and many seem to want them.
Old 05-26-2021, 09:34 AM
veleno
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JAB12
The prices you are describing even with it being a tip are well below market. Even on the high end of that range at such low mileage you will only win, even after the repairs expense. If he accepts your $18k, even the $30k then respectfully, that seller does not keep up with the market and most definitely does not read Rennlist. Great find. Good luck!
Originally Posted by cobalt
A 3.6L engine is worth roughly $15k in rebuildable condition. In 1991 Porsche revised the engines starting with engine Serial number 62M52758 with the tiptronic trans. If the engine is an early engine it is worth a little less. If you can pick up any 964 for $18k it is a bargain. Leaks can be for many reasons and many times all that is needed is a reseal. Expect a full reseal to run around $8k if a rebuild is needed the cost can vary for many reasons but can run as much as $25k. At 33k miles (assuming that is a true number, I hate to say seems unrealistic as you describe it) even if you have $45k into it when done and being a tip it is still a fair pice considering only 1033 Targas were imported to the US and many seem to want them.
Thanks for the info guys. I figured even if I go up to 20k it'll still be worth it.
I'll try to verify the engine number next week as well if I can. Is it on the right side next to the fan housing? If yes, that looks like a tight space!
Is the 1033 Targas for the whole 964 run or just '91?
Old 05-26-2021, 09:53 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

1991 saw the most targas imported at 686. The 1033 number includes 21 1994 MY targas which are still in debate. The RoW market saw a total of 2294 targas made so theoretically only 3327 964 tarags should exist. This includes all C2 manual and tip and all C4 variants.
Old 05-26-2021, 02:07 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 973 Likes on 634 Posts

So here's my dilemma... I've come across a '91 C2 targa tip with about 33k miles and a clean title.
I made an offer at 18k and hope they accept since they don't want to deal with it anymore.
if you've come across any 964 with a price that starts with a '1' and it only has 4 digits behind it and not 5, you're in pretty good shape.

i remember turning down a C2, 5 spd, black on natural here in Dallas some years ago at $19k. if i could only have that decision again.
The following users liked this post:
9SIX4-C4 (05-26-2021)
Old 05-27-2021, 09:47 PM
avc2014
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 32 Posts

I will chime in with a recent purchase. After a lengthy search to replace a 964 that I never should have sold, I bought the car that popped up here in the classifieds the other day. I was passing on all the red, white and black cars I was finding, and this car is a very unusual color combo. Dark blue with a mahogany interior in very nice condition. I bought the seller, and the car just happend to be very close to what I was looking for. It has been well maintained and cared for by the seller during his ownership . The car has most of the mods that I would do , and does not appear to need much, if anything in the way of maintenance. It came with all of its original bits that have been removed . After talking with the owner and seeing the car, I paid full price , and just got it done. 1990 C2 Coupe and I bit on close to 100k
Attached Files
File Type: docx
1990 911 C2 blue -maghony.docx (14.0 KB, 62 views)
JAB12 (05-28-2021)
Old 05-27-2021, 10:09 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by avc2014
I will chime in with a recent purchase. After a lengthy search to replace a 964 that I never should have sold, I bought the car that popped up here in the classifieds the other day. I was passing on all the red, white and black cars I was finding, and this car is a very unusual color combo. Dark blue with a mahogany interior in very nice condition. I bought the seller, and the car just happend to be very close to what I was looking for. It has been well maintained and cared for by the seller during his ownership . The car has most of the mods that I would do , and does not appear to need much, if anything in the way of maintenance. It came with all of its original bits that have been removed . After talking with the owner and seeing the car, I paid full price , and just got it done. 1990 C2 Coupe and I bit on close to 100k
bravo, this is how you buy a car. Pm me if you want to go on a ‘90s drive with my targa.
Old 05-27-2021, 11:30 PM
avc2014
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the invite, but the car is heading east to TX.
9SIX4-C4 (05-28-2021)
Old 05-28-2021, 08:49 AM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 359 Posts

@avc2014 "First of all if you have a problem with my price move on and keep your (BaT Trollish) opinion that no one cares about to yourself." I like this guy, I can see why you bought a car from him. Well done. This is exactly how you buy (and sell) a car. No BS. Enjoy it in good health. Post some photos of it when you are able. Would love to see that rare color combo.
Old 05-28-2021, 09:46 AM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 973 Likes on 634 Posts

i saw the marketplace ad on this car and the dark blue over mahogany looks fantastic. have always been a huge fan of unique color combos and unique interiors colors.
where in east TX is the car headed?
congrats and enjoy it!
Old 05-28-2021, 11:06 AM
Paolo1
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Has there been a consolidated posting of the best type of tertiary sites to search daily for 964s in the US beyond the Holts and Sloans? I know Tarek must have little birds listening for him across the globe, but if anyone has insight into how to subscribe to those little birds also, I would be thankful.
Old 05-28-2021, 05:00 PM
avc2014
Rennlist Member

The car does have an unusual interior color. I don't think I have ever seen this on a 964. The seller is providing the original door cards, steering wheel and passenger air bag in case I ever want to return it to stock configuration. In answer to a previous question, the car is heading the hill country of central TX to live its life running the back roads. Here is a pic from the sellers ad of the interior.

9SIX4-C4 (05-28-2021)

Quick Reply: 964 Prices