Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 09:26 AM
hinton
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by chrenan
I think you mentioned in the video a thermo fan switch failed? Shouldn’t the 07K ecu trigger the fans? Shouldn’t the dyno fans provide plenty of air flow for cooling if the rad fans failed? I can’t imagine rad fans are going to keep up to WOT anyway. It was late when I watched the video so I may have misunderstood. Sounds like you caught it early and shut it down, so hopefully just some minor fixes and good to go. Better to find issues on the dyno than street or track. Keep plugging away.
We chose to utilize the factory 944 wiring for the fans. The system is completely independent of the engine harness so it was one less thing to worry about.

The dyno fans 100% have enough flow o keep the engine cool, but in our excitement to do a run after making some tuning changes we forgot to turn them on. Just an unfortunate accident.
Old 10-06-2019, 10:58 PM
hinton
Racer

Took the car for a super quick drive today (no coolant ). It was an absolute blast and a MASSIVE improvement over the stock lump. The tuner says he thinks there’s still another 10% power left in it when we get it back on the dyno. The car car actually feels fast for the first time ever lol. Video linked below!
Attached Files
The following users liked this post:
bman12three4 (10-10-2019)
Old 10-07-2019, 03:45 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelmount123
Your intake is gorgeous, Patrick; both in design and execution! Incredible work. How about an update on your car/engine? It looks like you've made great progress.
MM
Hi Michael

Not to clog up someone else's thread with my stuff but unfortunately those pics are from 2017. Car hasn't run since then.
Intake was, and still is a very nice piece. Cost stupid money to have made though. Disappointing since it's been doing nothing for quite a while.

If I had my time again I'd certainly think very carefully about moving to this i5 Audi platform though.
I know it's early days for Mike and Alan but it would be interesting to get your thoughts on this swap?
Old 10-07-2019, 01:19 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Hi Michael

Not to clog up someone else's thread with my stuff but unfortunately those pics are from 2017. Car hasn't run since then.
Intake was, and still is a very nice piece. Cost stupid money to have made though. Disappointing since it's been doing nothing for quite a while.

If I had my time again I'd certainly think very carefully about moving to this i5 Audi platform though.
I know it's early days for Mike and Alan but it would be interesting to get your thoughts on this swap?
I would love to get Michael's thoughts about our swap design and products. Just keep in mind the way we're going about this is to keep costs down so that it can be done by a larger number of people... keeping the platform competitive on track and on budget while maintaining the VW/Audi roots and character of the original engine (but better sounding, IMO). My impression is that Michael's products are at the highest end, which is awesome, but most 944 guys can't swing that kind of dough. I believe there will be room in the market for super high-end 07K engine builds, though. My kit components are designed to withstand the stresses of a 600 lb-ft engine, and there's always the possibility of further fortifying them to withstand more if needed.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:25 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Hi Alan. Really like what you guys are doing. Watching the development come along and will continue to anticipate ensuing upgrades and the inevitable issues/solutions.
Haven't looked into it in super detail but imagine that it wouldn't take a lot to pull 600whp out of one of these motors with a bit of time. I think the iron block and smaller space between headstuds should really help avoiding headlift when screwing the boost up at a later date.
I'm sure there have been plenty of guys / shops pumping these motors up all over the world.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:58 AM
Brian Smith
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any further development on the radiator and intercooler we were discussing up the thread a big?
Old 10-12-2019, 11:03 AM
hinton
Racer

Originally Posted by Brian Smith
Any further development on the radiator and intercooler we were discussing up the thread a big?
Alan and I have been hyper focused on getting the NA car ready for a track event this weekend. We should be able to get back to turbo development soon.
Old 10-12-2019, 02:06 PM
Cjar
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Smith
I have a few options in the works, but to be honest there are two hurdles for radiators.
  1. Configuration - if you don’t mind working the plumbing in the stock 944/951 locations you can use an existing radiator for a 944/951. I think I’m going to stay with this type.
  2. The only off-the-shelf rads out there have two rows of 1” tubes so cooling capacity is unknown for higher powered guys.
Lots more questions than answers right now.

I purchased the same intercooler as Alan (Frostbite) and will give it a try. Good price and almost perfect fit.
Old 10-13-2019, 05:52 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cjar
I have a few options in the works, but to be honest there are two hurdles for radiators.
  1. Configuration - if you don’t mind working the plumbing in the stock 944/951 locations you can use an existing radiator for a 944/951. I think I’m going to stay with this type.
  2. The only off-the-shelf rads out there have two rows of 1” tubes so cooling capacity is unknown for higher powered guys.
Lots more questions than answers right now.

I purchased the same intercooler as Alan (Frostbite) and will give it a try. Good price and almost perfect fit.
Under the circumstances it's really not that expensive to get something custom made.
Old 10-13-2019, 10:38 PM
Cjar
Instructor

For anyone interested, I can do a group buy of at least five (that's four of you plus me) of the complete cooling system for $1800. My cost is $1777 plus shipping, so call it $1800 to the group here plus freight from Milwaukee to you. Are there four seriously interested guys here? Here are the pictures:

Complete assy (before radiator ports were mirrored)

Radiator, with corrected cooling ports and Spal 11" brushless fan.
I had zero takers on this custom package, designed for 525hp and everything to fit the 07k swap. I changed course and am working on some alternative options for just the radiator in the $500 range.

Craig
Old 10-14-2019, 01:11 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

I had zero takers on this custom package, designed for 525hp and everything to fit the 07k swap. I changed course and am working on some alternative options for just the radiator in the $500 range.

Craig
Craig, the $500 rad sounds like a better option to me. I think that's about where we would land with the radiator I said I could supply (same layout as the Griffin one I customized, but sized to fit stock 951 mounting location). If you're going to supply them, I'll probably stay out of it (I have enough on my plate as it is).
Old 10-14-2019, 01:31 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Mike and I got to drive his car at Putnam Park Road Course yesterday. The thing was a blast and we got a lot of compliments about the engine installation and the sound it made on track. It felt comparable in power to my 951 when it had the stock engine (except that it didn't heat soak the intercooler and go into limp mode ) and lap times were about the same as well. Oil pressure and cooling was great. The only issue we had was the front serpentine belt. If you're following Mike's youtube videos, he explains it. Very annoying problem, but we have good leads on how to solve it with some different pulleys.

I can't wait to get my car on track with the turbo... double the horsepower will be even more fun.
The following users liked this post:
333pg333 (10-15-2019)
Old 10-14-2019, 02:03 PM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Not the best quality vid, but it was all I could do on my phone!

The following 3 users liked this post by 87944turbo:
333pg333 (10-15-2019), Dwizle (10-14-2019), JNewton918 (10-14-2019)
Old 10-15-2019, 09:22 AM
Brian Smith
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Craig
Craig I can get behind a radiator setup in the $500 range. Will you be offering it for sale, including fans too and mounting too?

Brian
Old 10-15-2019, 02:27 PM
Cjar
Instructor

How strongly does everyone feel about the radiator location and having both connections on the left? A few considerations, please vote!
  1. I am planning to have my intercooler mount just rearward of the stock 944 radiator location, and the radiator just behind that. If I come up with a mounting system for this is everyone OK with this setup?
  2. Wizard can build a radiator same as their current offering, but with 2 rows of 1.25" tubes which they say will cool 500+hp, for $150 extra (figure $700 without volume discount for just the rad).
    • + known quality name brand, can be used without a special mounting system if you are putting your intercooler in the bumper (or going N/A like Mike).
    • + can use 944 fans/shroud as direct bolt-on
    • - have to plumb the lower hose from the bottom right (Mike did it, I don't see this as a big deal)
    • - $700
  3. Griffin has a radiator that has both connections on the right with a fill cap, 22"x13", with 2 rows of 1.25" tubes. This has similar dimensions to the Wizard above (slightly smaller), and I've asked for a price to remove the filler and swap the ports to the left.
    • + less expensive (the standard version is $274, plus customization, total should be a few hundred less than the Wizard)
    • + both hose connections on the left side
    • + known name brand
    • - would need to make a shroud and mount fans, or adapt the 944 setup
    • - would need to add cost to put in the 944 fan switch port if needed (could also mount in an inline fitting in the hose run)
    • - less straight forward mounting scheme
    • - not quite as big as the Wizard, so cooling capacity?? at high loads and low speeds unless we use higher CFM fan(s)

Looking forward to everyone's opinion.

Quick Reply: VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread