Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2019, 02:52 PM
EastEnd944
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
I'd be interested in your build intentions. Is this for a racecar? Do you have any diagrams of your intended build with location of intake, turbo and other ancillaries? Rear mounted cooling has been done but as far as I'm aware it was only in the Orca series cars. Cool project but I wonder if the desire to have the closest proximity of turbo to motor isn't by virtue of a knock-on effect, creating other dilemmas such as rear mounted cooling setup? Perhaps I've misinterpreted your intentions?
While I do intend to track the car, it won't be a dedicated racecar. I have the locations in which I intend to place everything planned out, but haven't made a diagram as I do tend to make changes as I'm working. While in no way is the rear mounted setup absolutely necessary, I do like the idea of being able to run a larger universal radiator that requires no modifications to the unit itself. It's not so much that I want the turbo closer to the engine and am therefore creating problems for myself, but rather after spending a lot of time planning I realized the initial pain of moving the radiator to the rear will make things easier in the long run. I'll get even more room in the engine bay, which will allow me to place parts in a more convenient location, the extra room should help with ease of installation, and It'll certainly make this build even more interesting than it already is. I think that's reason enough to attempt it.
Old 10-24-2019, 04:40 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by senior_squishy
That being said Alan, I think sometimes I forget this is a custom job and on top of everything yall have day jobs as well. I know I really appreciate all the work being done; Sometimes it's just hard to contain the excitement of how awesome this swap is, and that we have the opportunity to do exactly what you're doing. Usually whenever I see threads like these, it's a one-off job & the fabrication is too complex to follow for anyone else who wants to do the same thing.
I bet to do this as a one off it would cost me over $25k, plus a divorce. I might still get the divorce due to all the time I'm putting in, but hopefully will save some money with the economies of scale!
Old 10-25-2019, 05:08 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Power Window Repair
EastEnd944, those rear quarter panel regulators can be quite pricey. We offer a rebuild service for $199 on those regulators. Our rebuilds include metal replacements for the cheap plastic that breaks. Let us know if you need our service.
LOL SPAM!
Rear quarter window regulators on a Porsche 944? Better sell some blinker fluid with it.
The following users liked this post:
darbikrash (07-18-2023)
Old 10-25-2019, 09:14 PM
Power Window Repair
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
LOL SPAM!
Rear quarter window regulators on a Porsche 944? Better sell some blinker fluid with it.
Lol, sorry. We didn't realize that he was referring to the glass. I can assure you that we are not spam. We're a general regulator rebuild shop responding to multiple threads for window issues. On some Porsche's there are rear quarter panel regulators, but this was an honest mistake.
Old 10-28-2019, 03:01 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vt951
I bet to do this as a one off it would cost me over $25k, plus a divorce. I might still get the divorce due to all the time I'm putting in, but hopefully will save some money with the economies of scale!
Did my divorce joke kill the thread?
Old 10-28-2019, 04:03 PM
senior_squishy
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Did my divorce joke kill the thread?
Hope not, I think that's the hardest I've laughed all year!!🤣
Any updates Alan? Topics of question in my mind have been: Intake manifold, coolant flange, tensioner & crank pulley, & thermostat housing
Old 10-29-2019, 11:42 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Hope not, I think that's the hardest I've laughed all year!!🤣
Any updates Alan? Topics of question in my mind have been: Intake manifold, coolant flange, tensioner & crank pulley, & thermostat housing
Oh good... well you are certainly tuned in to what we're working on!

Intake manifold: waiting on the second prototype, which was cast by a different supplier. In photos, it looks much better than the first one. It's not quite to the quality level required for a production run, but will be better for our dyno tuning than the one on Mike's car (runner ports line up better with cyl head ports).

Coolant flange: I'm working on yet another iteration to make it easier to find off the shelf hoses that will fit up without adapters. We will be cnc machining the next prototype out of 6061-T6 instead of 3d printing. The carbon-filled nylon did not hold up as well as we had hoped.

Tensioner & crank pulley: I have received the "lipped" tensioner pulleys from iAbed. Mike and I plan to install and dyno test his car again soon to see if that does the trick. Mike's still waiting on delivery of the TTRS crank pulley. We're going to try to dyno test without it first to see if it is even necessary.

Thermostat housing: I have billet adapters from iAbed that let us install 1.8t thermostat covers (the part with the rad hose barb on it). The clocking of the adapters is not quite right, so I owe Issam some dimensions to change the design a little bit.
Old 10-29-2019, 02:00 PM
senior_squishy
Racer

tuned
Heh... nice one XD

Intake manifold: waiting on the second prototype, which was cast by a different supplier. In photos, it looks much better than the first one. It's not quite to the quality level required for a production run, but will be better for our dyno tuning than the one on Mike's car (runner ports line up better with cyl head ports).
Sounds good, how's the turn-around time with the new supplier compared to SPA? Maybe an increase in HP due to a more laminar flow through the runners, & maybe they got the casting-flashing issues sorted? P.s. we like photos here

Coolant flange: I'm working on yet another iteration to make it easier to find off the shelf hoses that will fit up without adapters. We will be cnc machining the next prototype out of 6061-T6 instead of 3d printing. The carbon-filled nylon did not hold up as well as we had hoped.
Sounds like your shop will be busy then, I like it.

Tensioner & crank pulley: I have received the "lipped" tensioner pulleys from iAbed. Mike and I plan to install and dyno test his car again soon to see if that does the trick. Mike's still waiting on delivery of the TTRS crank pulley. We're going to try to dyno test without it first to see if it is even necessary.
If the belt is jumping when the throttle is let off at high RPM's, could that be due to the slack side losing contact with the pulleys? Could a tighter tensioner spring alow it to keep everything aligned, or would replacing the spring be too much work?

Thermostat housing: I have billet adapters from iAbed that let us install 1.8t thermostat covers (the part with the rad hose barb on it). The clocking of the adapters is not quite right, so I owe Issam some dimensions to change the design a little bit.
Awesome. Worst case scenario though, could those still be used with say some longer hosing and zip ties?
Overall very exciting. Do we have final pricing for the oil pan assembly yet?
Old 10-29-2019, 03:51 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Sounds good, how's the turn-around time with the new supplier compared to SPA? Maybe an increase in HP due to a more laminar flow through the runners, & maybe they got the casting-flashing issues sorted? P.s. we like photos here
SPA is still the manufacturer; just a different casting supplier. Yes, I would expect an increase in hp compared with the manifold that's on Mike's car. Also, the casting cold-shut issue is almost completely gone.

If the belt is jumping when the throttle is let off at high RPM's, could that be due to the slack side losing contact with the pulleys? Could a tighter tensioner spring alow it to keep everything aligned, or would replacing the spring be too much work?
I don't think so. When we were at the track, we installed a much shorter belt that made the tensioner just about rigid, and it still threw belts.

Awesome. Worst case scenario though, could those still be used with say some longer hosing and zip ties?
Overall very exciting. Do we have final pricing for the oil pan assembly yet?
No, they can't be used as is. The way they are clocked, the rad hose barb runs into the oil filter.

Sorry, I don't have final pricing yet for the oil pan assembly. Still shooting for under $1000. That includes the modified upper pan, complete lower sump with trap doors, complete pickup tube assembly, and hardware.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:04 PM
senior_squishy
Racer

SPA is still the manufacturer; just a different casting supplier. Yes, I would expect an increase in hp compared with the manifold that's on Mike's car. Also, the casting cold-shut issue is almost completely gone.
Got it. I think that covers everything for the NA build unless there's something I missed. I've been stocking up parts little by little over the past few months, I think all that's left now for me is everything listed above, RTV, VW valve cover sealant, and the ECU / wiring. Any news from PE about electrical kits?
Old 10-31-2019, 11:36 AM
uniquenamehere
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 99 Posts

Was there a final dyno number? Or did i miss that? Here's hoping the motor in my 944 blows next season (not really actually)
Old 11-01-2019, 09:31 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by uniquenamehere
Was there a final dyno number? Or did i miss that? Here's hoping the motor in my 944 blows next season (not really actually)
We don’t have a final number yet. Still some tuning to do on timing, and the intake manifold we’re using now isn’t great. But the highest number so far was 172 at the wheels on a Mustang dyno that notoriously reads lower than other brands. My guess is we’ll pick up another 10% with tuning and the next intake. So if that’s true, it would put it around 190 rwhp on the Mustang dyno. We will also do some runs on a Dynojet to see the difference.
Old 11-01-2019, 09:36 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Got it. I think that covers everything for the NA build unless there's something I missed. I've been stocking up parts little by little over the past few months, I think all that's left now for me is everything listed above, RTV, VW valve cover sealant, and the ECU / wiring. Any news from PE about electrical kits?
PE has been busy getting ready for SEMA since we left. When they get back, we’ll finish up the tuning (hopefully with the new manifold).
Old 11-04-2019, 11:26 AM
senior_squishy
Racer

Originally Posted by uniquenamehere
Here's hoping the motor in my 944 blows next season (not really actually)
Be careful what you wish for, mine took its last breath last fall about this time of year (coincidentally hours before the 4Runner's transmission blew) bringing me from 2 to Zer0!

PE has been busy getting ready for SEMA since we left. When they get back, we’ll finish up the tuning (hopefully with the new manifold).
Amazing. Not sure about everyone else, but I'm really looking forward to seeing this "work of art" of a wiring harness that PE has for us. And of course, those oil pans which should be in the works this week...?
Old 11-08-2019, 08:18 PM
Ish_944
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey All,

I've been cheering for this project for years, still following it weekly now. Fantastic work Alan & Mike, I'm properly impressed! Very good show on youtube, too! Cheers for the entertainment!

Congratulations for getting the swap done! _Huge_ accomplishment and very nicely executed!

* Can you really run these engines at 8500 rpm on stock internals? First post says so but couldn't find any evidence of this myself.
* Your dyno run is really low on torque, even the stock engine on the IE site was over 150 wheel torque. Is this because of the intake manifold? Or maybe not enough back pressure from the "exhaust"? What torque do you guys expect on the NA build?
* Could you please start the next dyno run at 2000 instead of 2500 rpm? That region is pretty important for my normal driving.
* Is there a known place for good head work for these engines? Would it even make sense? After all, the stock head flows just as well as a Lindsey stage 2 and you keep making power at 7000 rpm at the moment.
* Are you planning a supercharged version? Do you see a way how/where a charger could be mounted? It's very hard for me to guess anything from the pics and videos.
* Will you be offering this as a crate swap kit?

A 230 hp / 200 ft lb (both crank) NA engine with an 8500 rpm redline would be a dream!

Keep up the great work!

Quick Reply: VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread