Racer

Received 106 Likes on 60 Posts

Old 11-08-2019, 08:49 PM
hinton
Racer

Originally Posted by Ish_944
Hey All,

I've been cheering for this project for years, still following it weekly now. Fantastic work Alan & Mike, I'm properly impressed! Very good show on youtube, too! Cheers for the entertainment!

Congratulations for getting the swap done! _Huge_ accomplishment and very nicely executed!

* Can you really run these engines at 8500 rpm on stock internals? First post says so but couldn't find any evidence of this myself.
* Your dyno run is really low on torque, even the stock engine on the IE site was over 150 wheel torque. Is this because of the intake manifold? Or maybe not enough back pressure from the "exhaust"? What torque do you guys expect on the NA build?
* Could you please start the next dyno run at 2000 instead of 2500 rpm? That region is pretty important for my normal driving.
* Is there a known place for good head work for these engines? Would it even make sense? After all, the stock head flows just as well as a Lindsey stage 2 and you keep making power at 7000 rpm at the moment.
* Are you planning a supercharged version? Do you see a way how/where a charger could be mounted? It's very hard for me to guess anything from the pics and videos.
* Will you be offering this as a crate swap kit?

A 230 hp / 200 ft lb (both crank) NA engine with an 8500 rpm redline would be a dream!

Keep up the great work!

Much appreciated!

Answers:
1 - I don't know, although the OP is very knowledgeable on these engines. I plan to push mine until it stops making power or goes boom!
2 - The tune isn't complete so that tq number should grow.
3 - I will sure try!
4 - I don't think head work is worth it on a boosted engine, although cams are!
5 - A supercharger could definitely be mounted on the passenger side, although we don't have plans to create a kit. A rotrex would be awesome!
6 - We will offer a complete swap kit minus engine, fuel system, oil hoses and ancillary stuff we believe people will want to do on their own. We could likely be convinced to offer one off stuff for people in the future, or even a turn key build.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:27 AM
samstuardracing
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dry Sump

Hey guys, has anyone found any good information on Dry Sump pans yet? I have the capability to make my own and have started my cad model, however I haven't gotten much feedback from anyone in the 07k community.

SS
Old 11-15-2019, 07:42 PM
hinton
Racer

Originally Posted by samstuardracing
Hey guys, has anyone found any good information on Dry Sump pans yet? I have the capability to make my own and have started my cad model, however I haven't gotten much feedback from anyone in the 07k community.

SS
These guys did it and responded when I reached out via Instagram on another item.

Old 11-16-2019, 09:18 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

These guys in Sweden did one as well. Looks good but unfortunately it won’t fit a 944 due to steering rack interference.

Old 11-16-2019, 04:44 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

* Can you really run these engines at 8500 rpm on stock internals? First post says so but couldn't find any evidence of this myself.
Poor wording on my part when I wrote up most of this 5 years ago. Can't rev there with 100% stock, but it doesn't take much mods to rev higher vs what it takes to rev a 951 engine.
8500rpm can be acheived with standard roller-rocker setup, upgraded valve springs, and of course cams to make power out that far.
Old 11-16-2019, 07:48 PM
Ish_944
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by hinton
Much appreciated!

Answers:
1 - I don't know, although the OP is very knowledgeable on these engines. I plan to push mine until it stops making power or goes boom!
2 - The tune isn't complete so that tq number should grow.
3 - I will sure try!
4 - I don't think head work is worth it on a boosted engine, although cams are!
5 - A supercharger could definitely be mounted on the passenger side, although we don't have plans to create a kit. A rotrex would be awesome!
6 - We will offer a complete swap kit minus engine, fuel system, oil hoses and ancillary stuff we believe people will want to do on their own. We could likely be convinced to offer one off stuff for people in the future, or even a turn key build.
I'm looking forward for the final results! Hopefully one day I can place my order for a turn-key NA package!

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
Poor wording on my part when I wrote up most of this 5 years ago. Can't rev there with 100% stock, but it doesn't take much mods to rev higher vs what it takes to rev a 951 engine.
8500rpm can be acheived with standard roller-rocker setup, upgraded valve springs, and of course cams to make power out that far.
Fair point, only new springs is really simple.
Do you know if anyone makes such cams and springs? Iirc, IE dropped their cam development.
Old 11-16-2019, 08:27 PM
hinton
Racer

Fair point, only new springs is really simple.
Do you know if anyone makes such cams and springs? Iirc, IE dropped their cam development.
CAT makes cams, and to my knowledge IE still has springs.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:09 PM
senior_squishy
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Wasn't really looking forward to being 'that guy' who nags and keeps asking questions, but are there any updates on the parts being machined? I know PE has been busy so testing is on hold presumably, but what about IABED & SPA, are they hard at work?
Old 11-21-2019, 02:28 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by senior_squishy
Wasn't really looking forward to being 'that guy' who nags and keeps asking questions, but are there any updates on the parts being machined? I know PE has been busy so testing is on hold presumably, but what about IABED & SPA, are they hard at work?
It's ok, someone has to be that guy... Actually I'd say you've been very patient.

Happy to report that lots of things are in motion currently:

- 2 prototype billet aluminum lipped tensioner pulleys are currently being machined.

- 2 prototype billet aluminum rear coolant flanges are also currently being machined, and I hope to receive them next week. They had some machining issues on the first go round, so they are being re-made now.

- The second sample SPA intake manifold should arrive at my house today. It actually came yesterday but no one was home to sign for it. As soon as we get it, our plan is to install it on Mike's car along with the TTRS crank pulley and run the car on a DynoJet. Hoping to see two things: 1) more rwhp and 2) serpentine belt stays on

- We will re-engage with PE after our DynoJet runs to complete any remaining tuning and the harness design. I don't know the timing for their production run of harnesses... guessing it depends on how many people want to order them up front (more people going in together will probably help get on their production schedule sooner due to larger order dollar amount and the economies of scale). Perhaps a pre-order/deposit on the Boost Brothers store would make sense so that we can get PE going soon?

- We have 15 CNC machined upper pans in hand and are soaking them in solvent to hopefully get all the oil to leach out of them and make welding easier.

- I have finalized the design for sheet metal parts of the oil sump and upper pan and have 20 sets of parts being made as we speak (anticipating that 5 more upper pans will be sent in by folks who have not yet).

- I anticipate the 15 complete oil sumps and upper pans to be ready to ship before the end of Dec. Projected price is $950 plus shipping plus upper pan core. That includes the modified upper pan, the lower sump with baffles and trap doors, complete new oil pickup assembly, and all hardware. There may be a small additional charge for an optional -10AN turbo oil return bung to be welded in. Or we could just do that on all of them and make the price maybe $25 higher? Let me know your thoughts...

- I think we will add the oil pan to the Boost Brothers store soon, so people who sent in their upper pans can place their orders. It would really help us from a cash flow perspective; they have been an expensive endeavor to say the least.

- If the second intake manifold sample is good, we can launch a production run of them. I'm guessing we're looking at about 2 months to receive them after we place the order, but that is dependent on SPA and their casting supplier.

Last edited by vt951; 11-21-2019 at 03:14 PM.
Old 11-21-2019, 04:19 PM
senior_squishy
Racer

Originally Posted by vt951
It's ok, someone has to be that guy... Actually I'd say you've been very patient.
Well, you had me a little worried when that divorce joke came up!!

Happy to report that lots of things are in motion currently:
- 2 prototype billet aluminum lipped tensioner pulleys are currently being machined.
Are these the ones Mike designed? (Nice job @hinton btw!)

- 2 prototype billet aluminum rear coolant flanges are also currently being machined, and I hope to receive them next week. They had some machining issues on the first go round, so they are being re-made now.
Got any pictures of these? Im interested to see what you came up with for the design.

- The second sample SPA intake manifold should arrive at my house today. It actually came yesterday but no one was home to sign for it. As soon as we get it, our plan is to install it on Mike's car along with the TTRS crank pulley and run the car on a DynoJet. Hoping to see two things: 1) more rwhp and 2) serpentine belt stays on
More HP = Awesome. Less belt issues = Even more awesome. Keeping my fingers crossed for a positive outcome!!!

- We will re-engage with PE after our DynoJet runs to complete any remaining tuning and the harness design. I don't know the timing for their production run of harnesses... guessing it depends on how many people want to order them up front (more people going in together will probably help get on their production schedule sooner due to larger order dollar amount and the economies of scale). Perhaps a pre-order/deposit on the Boost Brothers store would make sense so that we can get PE going soon?
My vote would definitely be for a pre-order. Obviously faster is more preferable and money talks. Im in.

- We have 15 CNC machined upper pans in hand and are soaking them in solvent to hopefully get all the oil to leach out of them and make welding easier.
- I have finalized the design for sheet metal parts of the oil sump and upper pan and have 20 sets of parts being made as we speak (anticipating that 5 more upper pans will be sent in by folks who have not yet).
- I anticipate the 15 complete oil sumps and upper pans to be ready to ship before the end of Dec. Projected price is $950 plus shipping plus upper pan core. That includes the modified upper pan, the lower sump with baffles and trap doors, complete new oil pickup assembly, and all hardware. There may be a small additional charge for an optional -10AN turbo oil return bung to be welded in. Or we could just do that on all of them and make the price maybe $25 higher? Let me know your thoughts...
- I think we will add the oil pan to the Boost Brothers store soon, so people who sent in their upper pans can place their orders. It would really help us from a cash flow perspective; they have been an expensive endeavor to say the least.
Excellent. Im all for helping out with the cash flow, and adding the -10AN fitting sounds like a good idea. Even though my short term plans don't involve boost, it could be plugged/capped and used later correct?

- If the second intake manifold sample is good, we can launch a production run of them. I'm guessing we're looking at about 2 months to receive them after we place the order, but that is dependent on SPA and their casting supplier.
....maybe a pre-order incentive would help with run time? Either way, fingers crossed they got this one right!!

Old 11-21-2019, 09:18 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

+1 for oil drain on all, then N/A guys can plug them until they inevitably decide they need boost!
Old 11-22-2019, 12:16 AM
Brian Smith
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+2 on the AN oil bung in the pan.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:13 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by senior_squishy
Well, you had me a little worried when that divorce joke came up!!
Are these the ones Mike designed? (Nice job @hinton btw!)
Got any pictures of these? Im interested to see what you came up with for the design.
More HP = Awesome. Less belt issues = Even more awesome. Keeping my fingers crossed for a positive outcome!!!
My vote would definitely be for a pre-order. Obviously faster is more preferable and money talks. Im in.
Excellent. Im all for helping out with the cash flow, and adding the -10AN fitting sounds like a good idea. Even though my short term plans don't involve boost, it could be plugged/capped and used later correct?
....maybe a pre-order incentive would help with run time? Either way, fingers crossed they got this one right!!
- The divorce thing was really just a bad joke... sorry about that.
- Yes, the pulleys are Mike's design. I think it's going to work great; we'll find out soon!
- Yes, AN10 oil return bung can be capped easily. Seems like it makes sense to just include it on all of them.
- Here's the coolant flange design we're making prototypes of now.

Old 11-22-2019, 08:12 PM
senior_squishy
Racer

Originally Posted by vt951
- The divorce thing was really just a bad joke... sorry about that.
- Here's the coolant flange design we're making prototypes of now.
Those look sweet, are they going to be billet? duh, I promise I can read. Those are some complex shapes for a 3 axis machine!
Looking forward to seeing the next kit for sale... or are things going to be sold individually

Last edited by senior_squishy; 11-23-2019 at 12:07 AM.

Quick Reply: VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread