Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2019, 09:47 PM
hinton
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by vt951
Thanks, I’ve seen that schematic. It makes my head hurt, so I’m trying to find a simpler way to plumb my engine 🙂. It seems like for our immediate needs (get it running for track testing and don’t worry about cabin heat) it would make sense for us to just connect those two barbs I circled. Agree?
The main thing we need to figure out is the thermostat bypass. Basically, we have the tstat outlet and bypass pipe outlet on the side of the engine, and the new fitting Alan designed on the back. Do we just need to run the bypass pipe in its stock location, and connect it to a port on the rear fitting?
Old 09-02-2019, 12:23 AM
Cjar
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks, I’ve seen that schematic. It makes my head hurt, so I’m trying to find a simpler way to plumb my engine 🙂. It seems like for our immediate needs (get it running for track testing and don’t worry about cabin heat) it would make sense for us to just connect those two barbs I circled. Agree?
Originally Posted by hinton
The main thing we need to figure out is the thermostat bypass. Basically, we have the tstat outlet and bypass pipe outlet on the side of the engine, and the new fitting Alan designed on the back. Do we just need to run the bypass pipe in its stock location, and connect it to a port on the rear fitting?
If you are skipping the heater core then you would just connect the two pipes Alan circled, which is the bypass. If you want heat you put the heater core inline, but with a tee and core bypass circuit since the 944 controls heat with a flow control valve (but we cannot stop the bypass flow).
Old 09-02-2019, 12:35 AM
hinton
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Cjar
If you are skipping the heater core then you would just connect the two pipes Alan circled, which is the bypass. If you want heat you put the heater core inline, but with a tee and core bypass circuit since the 944 controls heat with a flow control valve (but we cannot stop the bypass flow).
Perfect, thanks!
Old 09-02-2019, 08:46 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Cjar
Thanks, Craig. I’m not going to mess with heat for now, but just for future reference, wouldn’t something like this do the trick without using a tee? I used this part on my LS swap, and just hooked up the vacuum port on it to the heater control vacuum port on the firewall. Worked perfectly. It always allows coolant to flow, whether it’s going through the heater core or not.

Old 09-02-2019, 09:32 AM
senior_squishy
Racer

So uhhh..... What about those of us with the early cars that control heat with cables and levers 😅
Old 09-02-2019, 09:58 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by senior_squishy
So uhhh..... What about those of us with the early cars that control heat with cables and levers 😅
Oh I didn’t know they were different. How about something like this one?

Old 09-02-2019, 10:47 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Anyone know what this port on the thermostat housing is for? From the factory, it had a ~1/2” steel hard line attached. I’m wondering if we can either plug the hole or cap the line.

Old 09-02-2019, 11:31 AM
Cjar
Instructor

Anyone know what this port on the thermostat housing is for? From the factory, it had a ~1/2” steel hard line attached. I’m wondering if we can either plug the hole or cap the line.
That is the fill port, it needs to be connected to the nipple on the bottom of the expansion tank.

Old 09-02-2019, 11:35 AM
Cjar
Instructor

Thanks, Craig. I’m not going to mess with heat for now, but just for future reference, wouldn’t something like this do the trick without using a tee? I used this part on my LS swap, and just hooked up the vacuum port on it to the heater control vacuum port on the firewall. Worked perfectly. It always allows coolant to flow, whether it’s going through the heater core or not.

Oh I didn’t know they were different. How about something like this one?
These would do just the trick, just need to try and find room to mount it and make sure it’s not in a high spot to cause the heater to air lock.
Old 09-02-2019, 11:44 AM
Cjar
Instructor

Anyone know what these two hose barbs (circled in green) connected to in the stock installation? The top circle is the smaller barb on the coolant flange. The bottom one is a steel tube that wraps around the engine and plugs into the thermostat housing. Just want to make sure I’ve got this coolant flange design right before I have more made...
One other option for those of you not running heat is to have a single hose/pipe from the back of the head to the left side near the stat housing, and then you can make a tee - one to the radiator and one to the bypass. This gives more room under the manifold for the tee, makes for a simpler SLS head adaptor, and you could even put your sensors here where the leak points are more accessible.

Craig
Old 09-02-2019, 11:50 AM
senior_squishy
Racer

Oh I didn’t know they were different.
I don't know that they're different either, but if the late offset is controlled by vacuum and mine is by cable they must be. I'll investigate later. Good find!
Old 09-02-2019, 12:12 PM
Cjar
Instructor

Square dash is cable operated, oval dash is vacuum operated.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:19 AM
senior_squishy
Racer

When I had a field day ripping stuff off my engine, I noticed that thing on the thermostat housing too... Any chance we can just replace that weird turn-lock thing for an AN style fitting and run another hose from there to the fill port?
Old 09-03-2019, 09:47 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by senior_squishy
When I had a field day ripping stuff off my engine, I noticed that thing on the thermostat housing too... Any chance we can just replace that weird turn-lock thing for an AN style fitting and run another hose from there to the fill port?
Maybe, I’ll ask iAbed what his plan is for that port.

* EDIT * talked to iAbed and that port is eliminated on his cast thermostat housing. He plumbs it differently for filling coolant; I will post details when I get them.

Last edited by vt951; 09-03-2019 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:46 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Got the oil pickup adapters (cnc’d aluminum 6061). The Audi 1.8t pickup tube and 07k pickup tube gasket fit well.

Later today, we’ll be tacking together the oil sump and test fitting on Mike’s car.

Quick Reply: VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread