Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Hybrid stroker project

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 12:09 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Shawn. It came in at 8.5:1 again using a non surfaced head.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:23 AM
Dutch944
Three Wheelin'

Nice work!!
Old 11-25-2013, 05:59 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

Nice build, as always.

Can you share some more details about closed deck block?

You are using steel wet sleeves and aluminum plate cut to size and pressed in, or is it some other approach?
Old 11-25-2013, 07:15 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Looking good Sid... What are the two pin holes in the deck, near cyl #1, for?
Old 11-25-2013, 07:24 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Really interesting, please share more details about the closed duck procedure and the co. That did this.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:30 AM
blown 944
Race Car

The block was done by Dave with FRF. We had been working together on a closed deck design. I wanted a stf "flat deck" so that's where this one came in. I know he's been mia lately, but he is still around.

The block is still dry sleeved. Started with a late NA block. The perimeter and tops of the cylinders are CNC machined. Then the deck plate is machined and press fit. Then the bock is bored and also machined the the flange to be counter sunk into the plate. Using ductile iron allows for using a much thinner sleeve while retaining the superior strength. Tfe sleeves also sit against a ledge at the floor. The deck should be quite a bit more stable with so many attachment points.

Thom, those holes look to be steam vent holed that are in the cometic gasket.

If it really does what I think it will, I should be able to crank up the boost quite a bit. Once I have both cars where I want them, I'll push it pretty hard.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:57 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Now it's time to put EVO's to shame!

You have a PM Sid.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:31 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by blown 944
The block was done by Dave with FRF. We had been working together on a closed deck design. I wanted a stf "flat deck" so that's where this one came in. I know he's been mia lately, but he is still around.

The block is still dry sleeved. Started with a late NA block. The perimeter and tops of the cylinders are CNC machined. Then the deck plate is machined and press fit. Then the bock is bored and also machined the the flange to be counter sunk into the plate. Using ductile iron allows for using a much thinner sleeve while retaining the superior strength. Tfe sleeves also sit against a ledge at the floor. The deck should be quite a bit more stable with so many attachment points.

Thom, those holes look to be steam vent holed that are in the cometic gasket.

If it really does what I think it will, I should be able to crank up the boost quite a bit. Once I have both cars where I want them, I'll push it pretty hard.
Hey Blown. We have spoken before about e85.

I found an article that was about singe cylinder knock testing. Essentially, the theoretical knock limit for ethanol is... there is none. Obviously the user will find other limits to their power package in many different ways, but I am excited to be getting closer to a few of my engine buildups that will utilize the fuel to its full potential.

Why did you choose to reduce the compression? I don't see, theoretically, where this is needed with e85?
Old 11-25-2013, 07:39 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BC
Hey Blown. We have spoken before about e85.

I found an article that was about singe cylinder knock testing. Essentially, the theoretical knock limit for ethanol is... there is none. Obviously the user will find other limits to their power package in many different ways, but I am excited to be getting closer to a few of my engine buildups that will utilize the fuel to its full potential.

Why did you choose to reduce the compression? I don't see, theoretically, where this is needed with e85?
I am sure Sid will answer this but...

E85 is a significant improvement but it does not eliminate knock potential.

Peak cylinder pressure is a concern in our motors even if knock does not occur. There are several threads discussing this in detail.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:55 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Reduced from what? 8:5.1 is half a point higher than stock. For a 2 valve head which is going to run pretty high boost this doesn't seem to be crazy low c/r.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:30 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by BC
Originally Posted by refresh951
E85 is a significant improvement but it does not eliminate knock potential.

Peak cylinder pressure is a concern in our motors even if knock does not occur. There are several threads discussing this in detail.
Shawn is correct on both accounts.
E85 can knock, though it is much more resilient to it than gas - both due to the octane and the cooling effect.

However, on E85 (or sufficient octane gas) these 8v 951 are not really knock-limited, but mechanically-limited. Specifically, head-lift & head-flex. As Shawn mentioned, this is directly related to peak-cylinder pressure.

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Reduced from what? 8:5.1 is half a point higher than stock.
Reduced compared to the common trend of tuner-car E85 approach...
But good to point out that it is still a small bump up from the factory CR.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:40 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

ps...the work looks great too!! :-)
Old 11-25-2013, 11:41 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

E85 is about 108 (R+M/2 for our non-US folks, or somewhere around 113-115 RON). That's probably good for a couple of points in CR, ceteris paribus. But, in boosted applications, that's rarely the case. It certainly will knock if you throw enough at it. But there are tons of other factors.

Side note, I'm a 4V fan. Plug is in the middle of the chamber, good for about 3/4 of a point. And contrary to popular belief, you can tune them for lower end torque instead of upper end power.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:04 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Yeah 4v would be good , but right now I just chose the easier route. Really to make things less complicated.

In regards to CR. In my experience, its a bit of a balance. Kind of like choosing a turbo. I've tried higher compression on a 2.5 and found that it brought down the overall power potential on the 2v. I like to think of it as the path of least resistance. These engines have many weak points that will be exposed as power levels are increased (E85 or other). Cylinder pressure will find the fuse eventually.

Cylinder movement
Stock rods
Block and head flex (not sure which is first)
stud size and thread boss material

I'm hoping I have most of these addressed to stay together at 6-650rwhp. Other than a faulty old valve seat the last engine was very reliable at pretty high hp levels for my usage.

Obviously a 2v head will be a challenge.
If it has any problems along the way I'll just leave the power down. DSM's are much cheaper to replace lol

Back to CR...The real question is why did I raise it? ... It was going to be 7:1
Old 11-26-2013, 01:15 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

My motor is about 8.8:1 (despite what Andial used to claim) and is manageable with high octane fuel. Have to be careful with ignition timing advance or you'll blow the coolant out like Mentos in Coke bottle. Are you planning a cam to bring the dynamic pressure down? I'm not sure if Garrity is among us on the list these days (?), but he used to experiment with deck plates -- not sure he ever got it reliable as expansion rates differed, etc. I have a new block prepped for oversized studs (essentially 9/16") -- did you consider that? How about the bottom end for that much power -- considering stronger fasteners or shuffle pins?

Quick Reply: Hybrid stroker project