Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Hybrid stroker project

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 05:25 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by jlturpin
Patrick, I don't understand your comment on headers causing problems with modified intake manifold. Can you provide any other info? Not questioning you, just what problem was created.
I would guess that free-er flowing headers would result in more gas flow through the turbine in upper rpm, resulting in a higher-flowing compressor, resulting in possibly reaching the flow limits of the stock intake (manifold) ealier than wanted.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:05 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Actually I'm told it was almost the opposite Thom. It was at idle or very low throttle angle and it was meant to have an effect on the egts.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:06 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OK, I've calmed down a little and can now put together a reasonable post.

Tonight just blew.......

First my hood was not latched fully after doing my initial cool down..So it got messed up. Fortunately it's not horrible and can be fixed.

I was informed early on not to go too much faster...

To preface this all.. Too many changes in too short of time, and a serious lack of sleep has had me on edge..I should have just went up relaxed and without expectations...Nope..not me .. I felt it was going to set records...Well it did, but I'm still not happy with it at all..There is so much more in it..

Onto the racing and my frustrations...

First pass... Computer is barely charged (main frustration of the night). I take it easy on normal boost. Runs a 122+ mph running extremely rich. So much so, that it's mis firing all the way down the track. I can see it needs to be leaned out quite a bit. This is the frustration with tuning at my house elevation and then going up to Bandimere..It is always a little different. Now with the new setup (5 injectors) it becomes a lot different. I needed the fuel for sure. But we just didn't have time to get all the tuning squared away (actually we didn't really tune it much at all last night because it got so late)

So...I'm thinking to myself that I just need to get back to basics and not worry about records or high speed runs etc....

I adjust fuel pressure down just slightly and go make a run

11.73 @ 127.19... .....Ok, but the computer freezes and I have no data...frickin blue screen!!! UGH

Charge computer......

Make another run...I forget what it was but I think I tried turning up the boost slightly. First half of the track looks good but it falls off on the big end to 125 mph... Again computer locks up........No data...

I make a few more runs with all kids of crap going on for the first half of the track from bogging to crazy tire spin. The car is once again a bracket machine running consistent 11.7-11.8's at 125 mostly. I had a couple lower mph runs due to variables.

For the most part, I was flying blind tonight and pretty pissed off all night but the car performed well, considering, and I drove home once again which is a succes of it's own.

Jared will be linking a bunch of videos later on for everyone to see. I appreciate him taking them and I think everyone will be happy.

I will try to get some stuff sorted out this week and actually get some better mph runs in soon.

I am a little dissapointed because I just couldn't get it to run faster than 127 tonight but I didn't have the data to make adjustments.....

Mostly I'm mad about my laptop that has been flawless for so long and decided to be a POS all night....

However, I did set and new record for MPH and I matched my ET but it should have went quicker. I was not focused on that tonight and it showed....
Old 09-06-2012, 02:13 AM
jlturpin
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, you still did a great job. Technical difficulties suck and throw us off, drink a cold one and then get some much needed rest. I am sure you and all your local friends will get it sorted.

Hope your Hood is not too bad.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:21 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Originally Posted by jlturpin
Man, you still did a great job. Technical difficulties suck and throw us off, drink a cold one and then get some much needed rest. I am sure you and all your local friends will get it sorted.

Hope your Hood is not too bad.
Ahhhh, thanks for saying that.. I forgot I had a beer in teh fridge and I need it!!

Tonight was like throwing a bunch of new stuff on a car and throwing caution to the wind and hoping for the best... Thankfully, Josh has a pretty good handle on this stuff..But it is a bit custom So it's a little different and I had to take it easy for the most part, not knowing WTF was going on....
Old 09-06-2012, 02:24 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Sorry for the frustrating night but not bad results all things considered...

I've made a point of either opening the hood all the way or closing it completely -- I've had to pull over too many times because it was half latched.

What the world needs is an iPad tuning solution! Battery lasts forever, never crashes, boots in seconds....
Old 09-06-2012, 02:34 AM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Think of it this way: in light of Murphy rearing his ugly head, you still managed to set a personal best. 127mph is nothing to sneeze at, especially at that altitude. Enjoy the beer and regroup tomorrow

Edit: Some of us struggle with breaking 105mph in the 1/4. Or even getting it off the jack stands for years on end...
Old 09-06-2012, 02:48 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Oh yeah.. I hate those nights. BUT.... We've had worse. You got to drive the car home! You didn't go to jail! (my personal favorite race night.. Sarcasm) AND you set a MPH best. Soon to be bested. Not a bad night at all. GJ. (EDIT.. That was meant to cheer you up, but I completely understand how bad it feels somewhere in between with stuff not going right. )

Last edited by 95ONE; 09-06-2012 at 08:26 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:02 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Thanks guys.

Yeah It was a crappy night, but in reality is was actually the best performances of my cars history. I am happy about that.

It's funny looking at these timeslips.. I have 3 11.83's and 3 11.7's lol. Very weird that considering I was all over the map it ran so consistent.

One other thing I forgot, is that the air was 8500 most of the night. Pretty crappy. It should start getting better soon.

Also I had one run where I babied is soo much and if you look at the slip it is 4 tenths slower between the 60' and 330' and still went a 11.73. THAT would have been a good ET....

At this point I'm at a crossroads. I can crank it up a little more and go for the MPH or put a bar in it and get back to working on my short end of the track.

I'm thinking that I'll cut some weight, keep the boost down, and dial in the launch. I didn't even try hard all night and it went 2.0 sixty foots consistent..

Oh and ther was a tuned ZR1 up tonight and he was running 122 mph. Had quite a bit done to it. I wanted to line up with him but it never came about. I did smoke his friend in the drag car though
Old 09-06-2012, 03:38 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Hell, if that's a bad night then you're doing ok Sid. As ever, expectations get us all excited and are often not met, but you live to fight another day and these days seem to be pretty regular. Since 2006 I've missed about 4 whole seasons just due to rebuilds so be thankful!!!
Old 09-06-2012, 04:48 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
What the world needs is an iPad tuning solution! Battery lasts forever, never crashes, boots in seconds....
Tuning on the road usually mean (if you're 2 persons) you're in the passenger seat jumping around at way over legal speeds. Tuning by touch screen in that scenario would kill the engine very quickly
Get a laptop with an SSD harddrive. Super quick, draws less battery and not sensitive for vibrations.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:51 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Hell, if that's a bad night then you're doing ok Sid. As ever, expectations get us all excited and are often not met, but you live to fight another day and these days seem to be pretty regular. Since 2006 I've missed about 4 whole seasons just due to rebuilds so be thankful!!!
+1 You did great Sid, congrats!
Old 09-06-2012, 08:33 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sid, now you had us all worried for nothing. Technical setbacks are relatively easily surmountable. But you'll recall the last time someone prefaced their post with "OK I've calmed down enough to post" it was poor Patrick. I had really thought the worst had happened.

So in light of that, I'd call your evening a success all things considered!!
Old 09-06-2012, 01:45 PM
OverkillMotorsports
Track Day

Have a look and my apologies for the orientation not being landscape.

Last edited by OverkillMotorsports; 09-06-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:43 PM
OverkillMotorsports
Track Day

We had a little Go Pro fun last night as well that Sid may not have mentioned, but feel free to check out the other thread.

https://rennlist.com/forums/hey-wait...ml#post9821972

Quick Reply: Hybrid stroker project