Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Hybrid stroker project

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 01:28 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by refresh951
The thread I referenced was about cylinder pressure. As far as knock with E85 I really do not need an article as I have been running it for several years. I monitored knock closely and I can assure you it happens.
Thanks. In what cases does it happen? Do you recall any general perameters? Are you differentiating hot-spot pre-ignition and actual detonation of the charge before the spark event due to cylinder pressures?
Old 11-27-2013, 01:41 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blown 944
The rods were selected based on quite a bit of research regarding big end width. The Mitsubishi size is the only one close to factory width.
Sid, I'm looking through a Wossner catalog, and found the same thing you did. The Mitsubishi rod at 26.4mm wide is closer than anything else out there to the 28.8mm wide Porsche rod. That is still a whole heap of slop, isn't it? How did you address that?
Old 11-27-2013, 02:04 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 67King
Sigh. There's a ton of misinformation out there. We used 108 when I was at Ford, Hot Rod is saying 105. http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/h...l/viewall.html. As for the notion that it won't knock, given the right conditions, it will. Besides, continued increasing CR has diminishing returns. And on a 2V especially, the chamber shape can get really ugly, your surface area/volume ratio can get really unfavorable, and your thermal efficiency won't necessarily increase as it should.

On edit - Hot Rod differentiates between knock and pre-ignition. Knock really isn't a big deal, but it leads to PI, and PI is what breaks stuff. If E85 is more prone to PI, that makes it especially important you don't detonate, since the detonation creates hots spots, which cause PI.
My personal engine is a 4V v8. Center plug. We found snowmobile plugs that have little protrusion to reduce PI on hotspots. Smoothed valve edges, etc. The head lift can still be a problem.

I am reading that other link and will research more DSM people. I am simply in this conversation becuase I am building a stock block 32V V8 that will end up having about 12:1 CR. I will then start adding boost. I have a pulley for 28psi on the stock intake, so with my configuration it may be less than that as there is less restriction.

My theory (I have no applied knowledge of this package) is that warranting Pre ignition from hot spots, I will have a great motor that will not detonate with e85. If it detonates, its over.

These are all extra pieces, so its an experiment and no one will cry if it blows.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:12 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Harry, we used a wider radius. It really isn't much. Also, take a look at the width of the Porsche bearing vs journal. You'll see that it's a bit narrow in comparison.

There was no evidence of any excessive wear on the bearing edge to speak of. I posted a pic a couple pages back of well used bearings if you'd like to see them.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:26 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 67King
Sid, I'm looking through a Wossner catalog, and found the same thing you did. The Mitsubishi rod at 26.4mm wide is closer than anything else out there to the 28.8mm wide Porsche rod. That is still a whole heap of slop, isn't it? How did you address that?
The Eagle 4G63 Rods I am using have a BE width of 28.37 mm (small end for 7-bolt pistons, large end for 6-bolt crank). I discussed this with several local builders and all of them said it was not an issue. Like Sid, when I dis-assembled the 2.85L I found no evidence of a problem due to the small difference.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:23 PM
Dave W.
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BC
My personal engine is a 4V v8. Center plug. We found snowmobile plugs that have little protrusion to reduce PI on hotspots. Smoothed valve edges, etc. The head lift can still be a problem.

I am reading that other link and will research more DSM people. I am simply in this conversation becuase I am building a stock block 32V V8 that will end up having about 12:1 CR. I will then start adding boost. I have a pulley for 28psi on the stock intake, so with my configuration it may be less than that as there is less restriction.

My theory (I have no applied knowledge of this package) is that warranting Pre ignition from hot spots, I will have a great motor that will not detonate with e85. If it detonates, its over.

These are all extra pieces, so its an experiment and no one will cry if it blows.
I'm pretty sure the DSM people will consider 28 psi and 12.5 comp ratio to be quite extreme. Does your engine have any other type of device or feature that might help it survive?
Old 11-28-2013, 04:56 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

28psi @ 12.5, shouldn't that be equivalent to grenade?
Old 11-29-2013, 01:08 AM
BC
Rennlist Member

E85.

http://dspace.mit.edu/bitstream/hand.../775670245.pdf
Old 11-29-2013, 01:08 AM
BC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Voith
28psi @ 12.5, shouldn't that be equivalent to grenade?

Not with ethanol. Petrol, yes.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:34 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nice link, very informative!
Old 11-29-2013, 07:02 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
Nice link, very informative!

I am still re-reading it. Again. Tons of info. Some things I'd like to discuss with the author.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:24 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

Thanks, this should keep me busy for a while.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:05 AM
67King
Race Car

Some caveats: That thesis was on the benefits of direct injection, not E85. It also specifically states that the baseline of PFI is that there is NO charge cooling benefit in PFI applications. He does concede that an argument can be made that that is not the correct baseline, however.

He also mentions that he failed to find the knock limit of E85 even with port injection (though he later shows it at elevated temperatures). He failed to do so even with E10. But he also points out that it was a 9.2:1 engine designed to run close to MBT on gasoline. BEWARE OF EXTRAPOLATION. Later on, he does run sweeps, and it appears that you can run about 50% higher cylinder pressures with ethanol, but it does, indeed show that it will become knock limited.

All that said, that's a great reference. Much more readable than most theses I've read (and the one I wrote!!!!). Great reference, for certain.

Interestedly, I'm familiar with one of the strategies he mentions in his literature reveiw. The dual fuel, turbocharged DI one, where E85 is used wiht the direct injection system, and gasoline for hte port. Saw huge numbers. But again, that was with E85 in conjunction with direct injection.

About the baseline, we did see a small amount of benefit by moving to open valve injection with PFI, to attempt to realize some charge cooling. But it was quite minimal.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:52 AM
BC
Rennlist Member

I was just thinking that the injection timing could be changed for charge cooling.

Yes, I understand he is investigating DI. It was a very informative read, and the thread I am most interested in is the lengths he had to go to make the fuel knock. With a nominal intercooler, intake temps are more like 20c to 40c instead of the 120c he took to get any knocks at all.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:57 PM
67King
Race Car

Originally Posted by BC
I was just thinking that the injection timing could be changed for charge cooling.

Yes, I understand he is investigating DI. It was a very informative read, and the thread I am most interested in is the lengths he had to go to make the fuel knock. With a nominal intercooler, intake temps are more like 20c to 40c instead of the 120c he took to get any knocks at all.
It was a GREAT read! Do consider also a few things. First, the cylinder head is HOT. And the intake manifold. So even with a good intercooler, air charge temps may increase. Second, injection timing on a PFI engine is not going to buy you much. The overwhelming majority of the fuel hits the valve and port walls, where it will evaporate, pulling heat from them rather than the air. Additionally, under higher load conditions, you approach 100% duty cycle, meaning that for 75% of the time, you are injecting on a closed valve, meaning you'll get NO benefit from charge cooling.

Not trying to be argumentative. Just trying to point out things it looked like you didn't fully consider when targetting 12.5:1 in conjunction with 28 PSI.

Quick Reply: Hybrid stroker project