Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Hybrid stroker project

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 04:28 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sid,

You still in your same house? I need to come by and check out the new headers, etc..or Saturday if I can get away.

What is wrong with your hood? I have one sitting in my garage.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:29 PM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I know some of this may have already been discussed but have you considered trying on different sized wheels/tires combo? Maybe a lighter set of wheels would save a couple of tenths off- skinnier front tires maybe? Also, how does the car feels as it approached the quarter- is it smooth or fighting you...stuff like that, you know trying to the aero or suspension compliance etc...will give you that extra few tenths. Just blabbering here...you did an awesome job Sid.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:05 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dana, no I'm down in old town Frederick now. Little one car garage lol. You can come by whenever. I'd get you my number ahead of time. I am pretty busy so evenings or Sunday's are best.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:09 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Originally Posted by mudbuddha
I know some of this may have already been discussed but have you considered trying on different sized wheels/tires combo? Maybe a lighter set of wheels would save a couple of tenths off- skinnier front tires maybe? Also, how does the car feels as it approached the quarter- is it smooth or fighting you...stuff like that, you know trying to the aero or suspension compliance etc...will give you that extra few tenths. Just blabbering here...you did an awesome job Sid.

It's smooth all the way down. Pretty easy to drive really. Doesnt feel stressed at all. I am looking into having some lightweight wheels drilled for the front and finding some 15's for the rear. However, I'm not really going for ET right now and I really don't want to pull the car away from my original intent too much. Ie; daily driver, roll on, mountain carver, and drag racer (to a degree).. I will be taking it to a road track soon..just for fun.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:10 PM
dnovak
Racer

Pm to dana
Old 09-23-2012, 03:13 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Bracket racing today.

New best ET of 11.66 at 18ish psi. Working in the short half of the track. It's pretty hot so I'm not sure if it'll go quicker but I think so.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:28 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by blown 944
Bracket racing today.

New best ET of 11.66 at 18ish psi. Working in the short half of the track. It's pretty hot so I'm not sure if it'll go quicker but I think so.
Awesome. Are you at Julesburg?
Old 09-23-2012, 03:31 PM
blown 944
Race Car

No Bandimere. The DA is close to 9000 ft so no great mph records today. So I decided I'd push the limits of the sixty foot. So far best of 1.72 and I finally broke the passenger cv lol.

So now I have both sides upgraded. We will see how it goes.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:45 PM
blitz951
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great job with your car blown 944.
Check out the Driveshaft shop for your cv's I have a pair on my 3 liter. They are rated to 1000ft/lbs of torque.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:57 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Lol, 11.43@125

I gotta go to tech now bc I'm too fast...:-)
Old 09-23-2012, 09:47 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Gonna share today with all of those who follow this thread.

I've been busy playing with a few things last week and it rained so I didn't have a chance to race last weds.

I decided to take today and head up to hang out wiht some old friends that race in King Street.

I actually polished my car up so it would look at least decent last night and fixed my hood from an incedent a coulle weeks ago.

Had the car all loaded up and got on my way at around 7am
Did a couple pulls on the way up and the MAF voltage showed over 4.8 volts!!! Nice air!!

Get there and decide to run in two classes to be able to get more runs in (2 time runs and then eliminations for each class ..so a minimum of 6 runs).

Early in the day the air was great.. too great actually as I broke a cv on my first run. It was teh passenger side which has neverborken before after 130 runs I guess it was due. So now it's upgraded to my new axles.

Get the cv changed out and go for my first TT for KING street. I was very gun shy after the first run so I launched it very low. Too low actually as it went to 1300 rpm and had to recover. It went 12.60 at 122. (more on this later)

I then look at my logs and it was a little lean so I added some fuel.

Go run Trophy class. It runs 11.66@125. Run is smooth as silk and it was only 18 psi.

I turn up the boost to 19ish psi and go to make my second and final qualifying run in King street. I launch easy and run a 11.43@125. I am told I need to go to tech to see if I'm teched for that ET. Obviously I'm not.

So here's where it get interesting. The rules of King street dictate that you have to run 3 tenths either way of your best qualifying time. Well, I'm told that my 11.4 pass is disqualified so I have to dial a best of a 12.3..LOL

So I have to dial two different times for the rest of the day. I dial a 11.5 for Trophy and run a 11.52. however I red lit with a -.002.. UGH..So I'm done in that class.

I sit and wait and start to think... I just can't see an upside to racing King street at this point. There is no way I'm going to be able to run on that dial. There started to be an even stronger headwind than my previous run. It was very hot. I'm thinking there is no way I'm going to set a mph record. I will totally **** them off if I run a fast et. So I pack up and leave, leavign another run on the table. Sign of maturity for me honestly. I never would have done this in my past racing life.

So now... I check on what I need to be able to run.

Here's what I'm told initially..lol

Roll bar
Padding
Harness
Clothes (already did)
Steel valve stems
SFI clutch
SFI flywheel
SFI bell housing shield
Drive shaft loop

faster than 10.99

SFI balancer
Roll cage
window net
aftermarket axles
axle retainers

I'm thinking WTF??

So I go talk to another guy.

Turns out that because not a lot of these things are available and my car has some things that are quite differnt than the normal drag car that they will be meeting with NHRA in the future regarding some of thse issues for a lot of import cars.

So after all that,,, I'm told that because my firewall is stock and other things that really all I need is a roll bar and harness. OK I can deal with that.... All the other stuff..I'd never bother..

So onto safety equipment now. That and some cosmetic fixes. I'm kind of in a jam now as I cannot race anymore unless I just run slower.

I'll think a bit about it this week, and decide how soon to get after it.

It will run tens, I have no doubts now. Just the conditions today were knocking off at least 3 tenths and looking at my 1/8 mph (99.95 and 100.25 respectively) I would have ran 129-130 if not for such a headwind.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:01 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Were you told this also at Julesberg? Can you still run out there?

Once again, amazing.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:10 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

http://www.jegs.com/p/Simpson/Simpso...95763/10002/-1

Fun to read about your impressive times
Old 09-23-2012, 10:12 PM
blown 944
Race Car

I can run at Julesberg, but I think they really would rather me be legal. Actually, I can probably go to Pueblo and run at least a few runs.

TBH though, I'd rather just be legal for bandimere. Maybe this is telling me to do some of the weight reduction and paintwork that I have planned on doing for some time. A forced break if you will.

I'm hoping that the NHRA will reconsider some of their rules regarding MPH. I was told that because the GTR's and some other cars are regularly pushing over the 135 MPH limit for parachutes that there is a strong argument for it right now.

If they lift that MPH then I might do something in regards to a difffernt head. If not ??? what is the point? I'll be running over 130 just by going to lower elevation as it sits... I'm thinking out loud here but I just don't really see a reason to do anything else to it to make more power right now??
Old 09-24-2012, 12:00 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Did you tell them you have the biggest driveshaft loop they've ever seen?!

It sounds like making your car legal for 11.0-11.49 is just easy and no problem.

The only things you need are these two;

A simple 6 point roll bar is nothing. Removable swing arm is the answer for Daily Driver.
Some 4 point harness. - cheap.

Things you already have;

Helmet.
You already have the SFI jacket. Jeans and tennis shoes.. You're covered.
No driveshaft loop needed.. Clearly

You're covered until you run a 10.99. Which is great. Get kicked off. You've met your goal. - I challenge you to do this before next summer. Which is at least the amount of time I think it will take you. (challenge)

Quick Reply: Hybrid stroker project