Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

1/4 Timeslips. Best 10 on the list? --Video

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 03:45 PM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I know. Just making a point. That low tq is awesome.

George

Originally Posted by pole position
I sincerely doubt that your 3/4 or 1 ton Chevy/GMC Duramax will do 11's with just a programmer.........it can be done but it needs way more work than that. Yours must be a 05 or older with the old 5 speed Alison and those trannies are notoriously weak when pushed, even a generic off the shelf programmer with not even being on its highest setting will limp the tranny at the 3-4-5 up or downshifts if you get right down to it. After that it is when not if when the clutch steels are roast and toast.

4-5 k, depending if you do the work or farm it out ( I used Suncoast parts but there are other good places) will get you to hold 800+ hp /1000tq.....................all day long until the next weakest link will break.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:15 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by Duke
The top ten list is fun, but it's not like that's the ultimate top ten 951 quarter mile list.
I know of a couple of times in the 11-range that's not on the list, and it would be strange if those were the only ones. I mean I know much, but I don't think I know everything
Until I see some slips or vids. I doubt it Duke. When I first started this list I did a retarded amount of research. Most 11sec claims-and there were many- were heresay, and bad -incorrect memories. for example- One was an engine that was stupid powerful-but was one of doom cars. (traced back from story to story that started out as "a buddy's" car) - they weren't street cars...almost ridiculous as I followed it back. Another "11 sec" car was traced back-by me- to a car that ran 111mph and the guy mistook the speed as the time. I saw examples of this internet grape vine over and over.
I'm not naysaying so that I can be "the" one in the elevens. But because I'm just tired of all the mis info.
So, Duke, with no disrespect whatsoever meant towards you. If you have firsthand proof, pictures, video. then please post. Otherwise if anyone doesn't have something to back it up, its useless internet banter and needs to be left out. -

I understand this as my opinion only, and not anything I see as law or rules, and rarely, I do see exceptions.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:39 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think a lot of bad information comes from what people assume the car can do from street challenges , these cars are so different on the street than at the track. I love my car on the street but absolutely HATE it at the dragstrip. Even the slightest amount of roll helps these things greatly IMO.

I grew up drag racing and can race about anything but this thing is a real PIA to launch. With a good clutch (or one that would hold the power at the time) it was either bog horribly or spin badly.

I have a few runs that are better (stupid et compared to MPH) than my current posted 83 S/C car (have faster runs on that one too) but I will wait until I get it/them actually dialed before posting otherwise it is just embarrassing.

I vote for verified timing system runs only with a timeslip or video.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:51 PM
Tms951
Pro

Originally Posted by 95ONE
Until I see some slips or vids. I doubt it Duke. When I first started this list I did a retarded amount of research. Most 11sec claims-and there were many- were heresay, and bad -incorrect memories. for example- One was an engine that was stupid powerful-but was one of doom cars. (traced back from story to story that started out as "a buddy's" car) - they weren't street cars...almost ridiculous as I followed it back. Another "11 sec" car was traced back-by me- to a car that ran 111mph and the guy mistook the speed as the time. I saw examples of this internet grape vine over and over.
I'm not naysaying so that I can be "the" one in the elevens. But because I'm just tired of all the mis info.
So, Duke, with no disrespect whatsoever meant towards you. If you have firsthand proof, pictures, video. then please post. Otherwise if anyone doesn't have something to back it up, its useless internet banter and needs to be left out. -

I understand this as my opinion only, and not anything I see as law or rules, and rarely, I do see exceptions.

I have to agree with this. If ou look at the thread of Specialtool and I before we raced you will see exactly where this type of stuff comes from, speculation and hear-say. People think because a car has Xhp and such and such tires it will do well. Not so. Get out there try it. I would love to see what Georges car does, but I bet it will not knock 95one out of the #1 place and would be surprised if it makes top 3.

From personal experience if you get a good enough launch to run low elevens high tens your car is going to break i the first 60'. That is unless you have built a drag specific car, which with these cars is such a dumb thing to do and would only be to prove a point and be #1 on this list. If you look at the top three on this list 2 of the 3 cars were built as track cars and the other a a street car. Considering that they are not bad times. Also when you look at some of the times, like mine, the E.T. corasponds well with the trap speed.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:54 PM
Tms951
Pro

Just went back and looked at the list and have to call into question bad coupes time. Is there a timeslip/viseo? 1.60 60' seems highly unlikely, or should I say impossable?
Old 08-28-2008, 09:01 PM
TurboTim
Banned

[QUOTE=Richgreenster;5744510]Why IRS in drag raceing? Does it make that big of a difference.

No that is what we have and why these cars suck to launch off the line.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:14 PM
dand86951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tms951
Just went back and looked at the list and have to call into question bad coupes time. Is there a timeslip/viseo? 1.60 60' seems highly unlikely, or should I say impossable?
Could it have been drag radials and a fantastic launch, and a whole lotta luck in not breaking something? The drag radials have to be worth something in the first 60'.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:17 PM
TurboTim
Banned

DR's on these car will still not get you 1.6 60ft times.Only slicks will and you better get a good launch and even then I still think you are looking at 1.8 60fts or a tad higher.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:44 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 95ONE

Originally Posted by Tms951
I have to agree with this. If ou look at the thread of Specialtool and I before we raced you will see exactly where this type of stuff comes from, speculation and hear-say. People think because a car has Xhp and such and such tires it will do well. Not so. Get out there try it. I would love to see what Georges car does, but I bet it will not knock 95one out of the #1 place and would be surprised if it makes top 3.

From personal experience if you get a good enough launch to run low elevens high tens your car is going to break i the first 60'. That is unless you have built a drag specific car, which with these cars is such a dumb thing to do and would only be to prove a point and be #1 on this list. If you look at the top three on this list 2 of the 3 cars were built as track cars and the other a a street car. Considering that they are not bad times. Also when you look at some of the times, like mine, the E.T. corasponds well with the trap speed.

You guys still picking on ST .....
Old 08-29-2008, 02:53 AM
dand86951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TurboTim
DR's on these car will still not get you 1.6 60ft times.Only slicks will and you better get a good launch and even then I still think you are looking at 1.8 60fts or a tad higher.
It would be interesting to know what the DR would ad compared to regular street tires. I know I was able to get several 2.0xx 60' times but that was on 5yr old B S03 street tires. The street tires were about .1-.2 sec quicker than a worn out set of Victoracer V700s though, so it would seem another .2 -.4 sec might be had with a good set of DRs based on this much difference between two sets of old hard rubber.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:51 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
You guys still picking on ST .....
ST is a legend, a myth a fairy tale. He just pulled a incredible dyno at the fest 414rwhp @ 35 psi, the new power band is wide, a lot of low end TQ, his mystery turbo spools quickly at 6800rpms, max power is @ 7900rpms he surely will destroy tms next time they meet at the strip.
Attached Images  
Old 08-29-2008, 03:58 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by blown 944
I grew up drag racing and can race about anything but this thing is a real PIA to launch. With a good clutch (or one that would hold the power at the time) it was either bog horribly or spin badly..
No sh#t, I think I have said that quite a few times since 2002, lol.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:15 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by dand86951
It would be interesting to know what the DR would ad compared to regular street tires. I know I was able to get several 2.0xx 60' times but that was on 5yr old B S03 street tires. The street tires were about .1-.2 sec quicker than a worn out set of Victoracer V700s though, so it would seem another .2 -.4 sec might be had with a good set of DRs based on this much difference between two sets of old hard rubber.
I was wondering the same thing. If you had a stockish car ie 300hp or less on say R-spec rubber V's a lighter car with 450whp on the same rubber, how much difference would there be in the 60' times? In that with a heavier car and not having tyre spinning power you might get off the line ok v's the lighter, more powerful car that is prone to a lot more wheelspin.

Next topic. So if we are in the car with 450whp+ with stronger tranny and drivetrain (CV + axles), what is going to happen? Wheelspin or bog? Or what will break first? Traction or parts...

Also for the guys that are not used to drag racing, what is the REALISTIC r/t? My one and only time at the drags yielded a .500 r/t which I thought was ok?
Old 08-29-2008, 10:08 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 333pg333
I was wondering the same thing. If you had a stockish car ie 300hp or less on say R-spec rubber V's a lighter car with 450whp on the same rubber, how much difference would there be in the 60' times? In that with a heavier car and not having tyre spinning power you might get off the line ok v's the lighter, more powerful car that is prone to a lot more wheelspin.

Next topic. So if we are in the car with 450whp+ with stronger tranny and drivetrain (CV + axles), what is going to happen? Wheelspin or bog? Or what will break first? Traction or parts...

Also for the guys that are not used to drag racing, what is the REALISTIC r/t? My one and only time at the drags yielded a .500 r/t which I thought was ok?
9faux,faux axles do not take kindly to sticky tires and launch control .......
Old 08-29-2008, 10:48 AM
Tms951
Pro

Originally Posted by 333pg333

I have used drag radials, the are not the stickiest ones nor do they have the most drag dedicated side wall but they are drag radials. They were designed as a tire you car use on the street. I use these as my street tires and they are fine as such and even do better in the rain than the old street tires I used.

Running 17psi of boost and useing Bridgestone re-750 tires (340 treadware) I got a 2.202 60' and ran a 12.67. Got wheel spin of the line and managed to keep it a minimum on that run with alot of work.

Running ~22psi of boost with nitto 555r drag radials i got a 1.93 60' and ran a 12.28. I managed not to bog and get a tiny bit of wheel spin of the line on that run. Other runs that day I was bogging. With these tires it was hard not to bog. I did not lower the air pressure in them and I did not heat them up.

you can see in this video i do not bog
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

And in this one I did
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

I could get better 60' times with the nitto tires if I lowered the tire pressure and heated them up. I think I might be able to knock as much as .2 seconds off if I was really lucky. To do this I would have to launch at 6000+ rpm. I doubt the car will hold up to that long if even once.

Quick Reply: 1/4 Timeslips. Best 10 on the list? --Video