Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

1/4 Timeslips. Best 10 on the list? --Video

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 12:13 AM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Richgreenster
Why IRS in drag raceing? Does it make that big of a difference.

The only reason that I bring this up is that ALL sport cars are measured on 3 big things. 1/4 mile times 0-60 times top speed.
If these cars are to be "super sport cars" then they need to be able to go
0-60 in 4 sec range, 1/4 mile times in 11 sec range and have a top speed of 180+. Also most (common people) judge how "super" a sports car is by how fast it can accelorate on the street when their buddy takes them on a ride. So right now the Jap. car croud can not only brag that their car is faster than a Porsche, but they can back it up on the track. All that we can do is turn down races and say it is cool "It is still a Porsche not a Honda"
A well setup 951 will do all this in spades.

My point here is that my Duramax with a programmer will also hit 11's with an Allison auto five speed taking off with the brake and AWD. Do you really think that I like driving the 2500 GMC on a winding road as much as my 951?

Get over the stats, and just enjoy driving one of the ultimate road machines. Actually, our cars are probably still one of the fastest cars from point a to b in real world road driving.

George
Old 08-28-2008, 12:31 AM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by special tool
I know and agree George, but I am a hillbilly, and I don't care.
Well, we'll see how things shake out. I honestly think that my car will be in the 11's with it's new suspension and taking off in 2nd in the six speed box.

I'll be adding solid motormounts. The motor moves way too much with the stock mounts. I'm installing PolyBronze and Derlin bushings on all suspension components. The KW V3 setup came into my office today. Looks really nice sitting in the box awaiting install.

George
Old 08-28-2008, 12:37 AM
Richgreenster
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by George D

My point here is that my Duramax with a programmer will also hit 11's with an Allison auto five speed taking off with the brake and AWD. Do you really think that I like driving the 2500 GMC on a winding road as much as my 951?

Get over the stats, and just enjoy driving one of the ultimate road machines. Actually, our cars are probably still one of the fastest cars from point a to b in real world road driving.

George
I totally agree! I really do not care about the stats at all. I am just curious why 951's are not running faster at the drag strip. Mainly at the launch.
What I am trying to do is get you to run a 1/4 mile time George.
Also I think what Tim stated about independent rear suspension has some merit.
When the 951 S first came out and Car and Driver did their review on it. The one that they could get their hands on had a shorter final drive in it. It ran the 0-60 in I believe 5.5ish, but they had to shift before 60mph. So the concluded that had the car been stock in the rear end, the car would have run a 5 sec 0-60 time. BUT when tested in real life, the 951S was acutually ran a bit slower than projected by them. THIS is why I am courious about times at the drag. Also I live in Honda-Ville here in Utah with Courtney Green here and have to live with all of the honda loving mechanics at my dealership. So come on George, give me a sub 10s 1/4 mile time so that I can shut them up!!!!
Old 08-28-2008, 12:48 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CPR
Unfortunately there are not any tracks near me (except my 3/4 mile winding driveway) .
3/4 mile , Dude that's not a driveway , more like A mini test Center.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:01 AM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

George
So what did you wind up using?....Banks???
Old 08-28-2008, 01:19 AM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
3/4 mile , Dude that's not a driveway , more like A mini test Center.

Well, it was....long story short (maybe)...it begins as a "triple throat entrance" (more on that later) then narrows to roughly (a little under) two lanes, for about 220' then 70 degree dogleg left, 150' straight then, 30 degree right then 200' straight, 15 degree left then 300' straight to a circle driveway (60' outside radius) in front of the house (actually to the stone walling 30' in front of the house).
As the house was being built we would race/ride the 4 wheelers and fast carts up and down this driveway. Well somewhere along the way Patron Tequila, Jager and Crown Royal got involved and now we were racing cars up and down the driveway. The trip throat entrance was wide enough to drift/park brake through and the circle was more than adequate for a little fun. Until 2 cars went thru the stone walling with one taking out half of the entry stairs (Limestone).

So...needless to say that was the end of the "test" track...except when the wife is out of town
Old 08-28-2008, 02:46 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CPR
Well, it was....long story short (maybe)...it begins as a "triple throat entrance" (more on that later) then narrows to roughly (a little under) two lanes, for about 220' then 70 degree dogleg left, 150' straight then, 30 degree right then 200' straight, 15 degree left then 300' straight to a circle driveway (60' outside radius) in front of the house (actually to the stone walling 30' in front of the house).
As the house was being built we would race/ride the 4 wheelers and fast carts up and down this driveway. Well somewhere along the way Patron Tequila, Jager and Crown Royal got involved and now we were racing cars up and down the driveway. The trip throat entrance was wide enough to drift/park brake through and the circle was more than adequate for a little fun. Until 2 cars went thru the stone walling with one taking out half of the entry stairs (Limestone).

So...needless to say that was the end of the "test" track...except when the wife is out of town

Haaa. LOL,,, Better not let Sid get anywhere near that driveway .
Old 08-28-2008, 03:55 AM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

George
I sincerely doubt that your 3/4 or 1 ton Chevy/GMC Duramax will do 11's with just a programmer.........it can be done but it needs way more work than that. Yours must be a 05 or older with the old 5 speed Alison and those trannies are notoriously weak when pushed, even a generic off the shelf programmer with not even being on its highest setting will limp the tranny at the 3-4-5 up or downshifts if you get right down to it. After that it is when not if when the clutch steels are roast and toast.

4-5 k, depending if you do the work or farm it out ( I used Suncoast parts but there are other good places) will get you to hold 800+ hp /1000tq.....................all day long until the next weakest link will break.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:23 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Also as far as I know the times on the list here are for street cars even though some of these scrape through this description pretty loosely. I haven't seen any times of a dedicated track car, not that this is what it's designed for but it would be interesting. There are more and more higher powered 951/968s being built. One on Pelican at the moment that claims 600hp at 15psi in a purpose built 968turbo racecar. I would bet this thing would give 11's a good go and maybe scare 10's. 2009 will hold some surprises from all around the globe inc the US.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:49 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

The top ten list is fun, but it's not like that's the ultimate top ten 951 quarter mile list.
I know of a couple of times in the 11-range that's not on the list, and it would be strange if those were the only ones. I mean I know much, but I don't think I know everything
Old 08-28-2008, 05:17 AM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

996 GT2 transaxle, 500RWHP, 345 hoosier R6. should run 11's I guess.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:39 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

With a big thumping modified LS1 Anders...sure I bet you get into the 10's!!!
Old 08-28-2008, 07:51 AM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

then it will be like the F&F movie, a 10 second car! I will get all the hotties for sure
Old 08-28-2008, 08:11 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Old 08-28-2008, 09:03 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

...but you won't be able to get on this list either...

Quick Reply: 1/4 Timeslips. Best 10 on the list? --Video