Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Kline 718 GT4/Spyder exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2023, 04:17 PM
LoodorneGT4
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Ya, that sounds is *nothing* compared to other systems that rattle the entire cabin and your ear drums.
totally ..was really awful experience
Old 04-01-2023, 04:28 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,435 Likes on 2,226 Posts

Originally Posted by LoodorneGT4
totally ..was really awful experience
Same, I think people who are sensitive to that sound and get easily annoyed by it land here. I also know there folks who can easily live with (some) of that sound because they drive the car on the weekend only etc, or it simply doesn’t bother them and the benefits of their x-pipe sound outweighs the annoyance.
The following 2 users liked this post by UncleDude:
LoodorneGT4 (04-01-2023), RoadrunnerGTS (04-01-2023)
Old 04-01-2023, 05:07 PM
dmboone25
Racer

Received 323 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerGTS
I notice that JCR just stated that after testing their link pipes, all are heat shielded as standard. Seems heat shielding may be necessary after all.

From JCR: "A very important feature with both the Inconel Link Pipes (Race Catted) and Titanium Link Pipes (Non Silenced) that we offer is all parts include Inconel heatshielding as standard. After testing parts with and without heatshielding on track it was blatantly obvious that this step was absolutely necessary from a safety and performance stand point and hence we will not supply any of our link pipes without the necessary heat protection applied."
Has JCR mentioned whether or not the heat shielding impacts the overall sound of the exhaust?

Kline has indicated that the heat shielding on my inconel system makes it quieter, and I’m wondering if that is specific to the Kline system or inconel systems generally.
The following users liked this post:
F1Live (04-01-2023)
Old 04-01-2023, 08:22 PM
LoodorneGT4
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by dmboone25
Has JCR mentioned whether or not the heat shielding impacts the overall sound of the exhaust?

Kline has indicated that the heat shielding on my inconel system makes it quieter, and I’m wondering if that is specific to the Kline system or inconel systems generally.
I guess due to light weight the Inconel sound is a little bit refine..it didn’t happen to compare them side by side in person ..I’m willing to meet if someone has SS and live in BayArea.
Old 04-02-2023, 04:07 AM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,087 Likes on 541 Posts

Shielding on muffler will certainly muffle sound. Doubt any difference on OAPs.
Old 04-02-2023, 10:58 AM
dmboone25
Racer

Received 323 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerGTS
Shielding on muffler will certainly muffle sound. Doubt any difference on OAPs.
It’s funny because I thought the same thing, but the feedback from Kline was that most of the lost sound comes from the heat shielding on the OAPs.

That’s why I am interested in the JCR aspect. They’re coming out with resonated pipes and they always use heat shielding. Might be the direction I end up going.
Old 04-02-2023, 11:27 AM
SupremePower
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,403 Likes on 823 Posts

Originally Posted by SupremePower
I received the two infrared thermal guns but I missed the last install appointment we had so I wasn’t able to perform the test — totally slipped my mind to have the technicians the readings. We have another one coming in soon and will get some data!
We have a Spyder coming in for installation on Weds...will be able to do the heat gun test between OE and Non Heat Shielded

World's Largest Retailer/Distributor of BBS Motorsport & Street Wheels from 2015-2023
Huge Inventory: BBS, Kline, Brembo, Soul, Recaro, KW, Akrapovic & 200+ brands. Installation available
** Retail & Wholesale ** Global Delivery ** We match/beat any authorized dealer's price **

SupremePower.com // SupremeForged.com // Follow SupremePower on IG

The following 3 users liked this post by SupremePower:
LoodorneGT4 (04-02-2023), LooseNut (04-02-2023), SpyderPlease (04-02-2023)
Old 04-02-2023, 11:27 AM
CaptainFin
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

I’ll be giving up my GT4 in the next 1-2 months and will have inconel Kline OAP, rear section, and valve controller available for sale. Located in SWFL and would prefer something in state for a face to face meetup but can ship the system as well. Will make an official post in classifieds once the system has been removed but wanted to mention it here for anyone interested. Any questions, please PM.
Old 04-02-2023, 02:50 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by Montaver
Just installed the SS version, build quality was fantastic and fitment install was straightforward. My regular shop charged me 2hrs labor but I think an experienced shop working quickly would easily get it done in an hour or so.

It has some lovely high pitched exotic tones at higher RPM. Power wise the engine feels a little more free without the stock OAP's. I still need to install my Cargraphics controller so running stock exhaust button logic. There is definitely some lower RPM boom and resonance, mainly at mid throttle below 2.5k RPM and on decel. You certainly know its there, has a lot of presence. Gives the car much more character and volume, to the point where I was driving 25 in a 25 zone and some guy shouted at me to slow down lol.

If you get a valve controller and keep it open, there is an additional noticeable throttle response increase and even more "free" feeling. It is enough that on the few select times I have them in default setting, it now feels lazy to me in the lower RPM range
Old 04-02-2023, 06:06 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

It’s funny because I thought the same thing, but the feedback from Kline was that most of the lost sound comes from the heat shielding on the OAPs.

That’s why I am interested in the JCR aspect. They’re coming out with resonated pipes and they always use heat shielding. Might be the direction I end up going.
Akra, JCR, Flat 6 all only heatshield their OAP's. Recently some others like Kline it is optional. If you are concerned re heat shielding impacting the sound, then get them JetHot coated.
Old 04-02-2023, 06:27 PM
FourFourTwo
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by LooseNut
Is there anyone from central Ohio with a Kline system? I'd like to hear it in person if possible as judging exhaust sound can be very subjective.
I'm leaning towards stainless steel for my car with OEM cats and headers.

I appreciate all the reviews and videos from different people. (I read all 86 pages)

Thanks in advance,
Ed
Not central, but Cincinnati... Spyder with Kline inconel no heat shielding (stock headers), Cargraphics VC, BMC air filters, sound symposer intact.

I drive only with valves open, mostly a weekend experience car. Drove with valves closed only one time, which was a road trip with my wife to Indianapolis riding with top up, and that was only half way. So VC has mostly been a waste for me and wasn't easy to install (vacuum line attachment). I just keep RPM's low in my neighborhood. I love my Kline system. If I had to do over, then I'd might consider something more simple without valves (JCR). But, as far as sound I have no regrets on the Kline. I've lost track of pricing vs JCR, but I bought mine from Supreme Power back in July 2021. I definitely prefer the inconel or titanium products if affordable. But, hard to beat SS for the cost savings.

When reading comments in this thread or others re drone, no drone, etc, I would keep in mind whether someone's experience is with the GT4 vs Spyder. IMHO the two are different animals... particularly top down.
The following 2 users liked this post by FourFourTwo:
flynlo (04-02-2023), LooseNut (04-02-2023)
Old 04-02-2023, 06:45 PM
flynlo
Burning Brakes

Received 819 Likes on 393 Posts

One of the things I have noticed very unscientifically, I see many inconel owners seeking more volume and end up with the headers. Most of the SS people are happy without the headers. That might be the mentality of the people who would buy SS over inconel for the value. But I will say this….I have no desire to changed anything on my SS Kline without headers. Just about damn near perfect reference volume and tone.

I will also agree with the poster above. I drive with the valves open always. I view the VC as a waste of money in this regard. The Cargraphic controller was not necessarily cheap and a PIA to install….although easier than others. In retrospect, i would just pin them open or cap the vacuum lines.
The following 4 users liked this post by flynlo:
dmboone25 (05-03-2023), LooseNut (04-02-2023), RoadrunnerGTS (04-02-2023), UncleDude (04-02-2023)
Old 04-02-2023, 07:17 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,435 Likes on 2,226 Posts

I still maintain the Kline stainless system is the best bang for the buck, even better than the OAP mod because the sound improves exponentially for just over double the cost of the OAP’s alone. I also have the cargrphic controller, but I have not yet installed it mainly because the OEM valve logic doesn’t seem to bother me that much. I would like to hear it valves open though (100% of the time) and to do that I’ll probably add the collars to the valve plunger shaft. I don’t want to mess with the braided lines because they went on so nicely from the stock system, and I’d hate to lose the function of that small OEM clamp on the end.

I’d also love to hear an inconel system, but so far have not had the opportunity. There is clearly lots of interest in the Kline systems, that simple video I posted has 3300 views!
The following 2 users liked this post by UncleDude:
dmboone25 (04-02-2023), LooseNut (04-02-2023)
Old 04-02-2023, 07:51 PM
FourFourTwo
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 64 Posts

I still maintain the Kline stainless system is the best bang for the buck, even better than the OAP mod because the sound improves exponentially for just over double the cost of the OAP’s alone. I also have the cargrphic controller, but I have not yet installed it mainly because the OEM valve logic doesn’t seem to bother me that much. I would like to hear it valves open though (100% of the time) and to do that I’ll probably add the collars to the valve plunger shaft. I don’t want to mess with the braided lines because they went on so nicely from the stock system, and I’d hate to lose the function of that small OEM clamp on the end.

I’d also love to hear an inconel system, but so far have not had the opportunity. There is clearly lots of interest in the Kline systems, that simple video I posted has 3300 views!
If you are good with the OEM valve function, then I would definitely return or sell the cargraphic unit.
The following users liked this post:
UncleDude (04-02-2023)
Old 04-02-2023, 08:18 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

+1
The Kline delivers a exotic note to the 4.0 unlike any other option. It isn't loud, but rather a clean note. That said, I don't wish it was any louder and I actually have the valves closed most of the time around city and highway.
The following 3 users liked this post by RoadrunnerGTS:
dnimi123 (04-03-2023), LooseNut (04-02-2023), UncleDude (04-02-2023)

Quick Reply: Kline 718 GT4/Spyder exhaust