Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Kline 718 GT4/Spyder exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2023, 01:50 PM
SupremePower
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,403 Likes on 823 Posts

Also gents, Kline OAP + Rear Valvetronic in stock in both Inconel as well as Stainless.

World's Largest Retailer/Distributor of BBS Motorsport & Street Wheels from 2015-2023
Huge Inventory: BBS, Kline, Brembo, Soul, Recaro, KW, Akrapovic & 200+ brands. Installation available
** Retail & Wholesale ** Global Delivery ** We match/beat any authorized dealer's price **

SupremePower.com // SupremeForged.com // Follow SupremePower on IG

Old 03-02-2023, 08:55 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,434 Likes on 2,226 Posts

This is still the best video I've seen documenting the great sound of the stainless system. This is what I hear top down

The following 7 users liked this post by UncleDude:
Bearrun21 (03-18-2023), dmboone25 (03-03-2023), JPMD (03-02-2023), MrFunk (03-04-2023), RoadrunnerGTS (03-02-2023), SupremePower (03-03-2023), TRSCobra (03-04-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-02-2023, 10:11 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,087 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
This is still the best video I've seen documenting the great sound of the stainless system. This is what I hear top down

https://youtu.be/8a5kinPBhlw
Yes, my SS systems sounds like that. TBH, I'm skeptical on any sound difference, but the weight savings of inconel are impressive.
The following 3 users liked this post by RoadrunnerGTS:
dmboone25 (03-03-2023), SupremePower (03-03-2023), UncleDude (03-02-2023)
Old 03-03-2023, 11:49 AM
flynlo
Burning Brakes

Received 819 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude

https://youtu.be/8a5kinPBhlw
Yep!!! I am very familiar with that sound. That is what it sounds like IN the car as all of that sound is directed away from the Mic/Camera. I just went driving with a buddy of mine in his Corvette and he said, from his vantage point, it was VERY loud. He said he couldn't even hear his car over mine. I do think it is interesting that the inconel guys that have done this upgrade “modularly” have gone on to get the headers after the first purchase possibly seeking more volume? Whereas the SS guys seem to be happy with just OAP and back box. I honestly could not be happier with the SS without headers. I am not sure I would want it any louder. And that also might be a look into the mentality of the people choosing inconel or SS…..SS people may be being more value minded.
Old 03-03-2023, 12:03 PM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

Received 432 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by flynlo
Yep!!! I am very familiar with that sound. That is what it sounds like IN the car as all of that sound is directed away from the Mic/Camera. I just went driving with a buddy of mine in his Corvette and he said, from his vantage point, it was VERY loud. He said he couldn't even hear his car over mine. I do think it is interesting that the inconel guys that have done this upgrade “modularly” have gone on to get the headers after the first purchase possibly seeking more volume? Whereas the SS guys seem to be happy with just OAP and back box. I honestly could not be happier with the SS without headers. I am not sure I would want it any louder. And that also might be a look into the mentality of the people choosing inconel or SS…..SS people may be being more value minded.
I think your last statement is very accurate. The delta in price is significant and the stainless sounds better than most other available options…except for the Inconel. Inconel imbues the system with a more exotic, higher pitched sound, but once you experience it, you can’t help but want more of it, and that comes in the form of headers. Personally, I don’t have enough open top seat time with my Inconel, but I can say I thought it was pretty loud during my first few drives, but as the exhaust burns in more (and my hearing gets worse!), now even I am debating headers. Too much of a good thing is never too much of a good thing! 🤣

Last edited by mc3456; 03-03-2023 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-03-2023, 12:08 PM
SupremePower
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Headers dont change the loudness too much but they do change the tone and also increase the power w the free flowing cats and header design.

SS is definitely not a bad choice at all and all customers have been ecstatic.

owever, the Inconel does have few more perks -- 50% less weight than SS combined w the incredible sounds the system produces in the upper RPM ranges when you are really driving it hard. The Inconel material is 50% thinner than the Stainless.

To date 85% of our Kline sales are Inconel.

Last edited by SupremePower; 03-03-2023 at 12:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
dnimi123 (03-04-2023)
Old 03-03-2023, 04:33 PM
dmboone25
Racer

Received 323 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerGTS
Yes, my SS systems sounds like that. TBH, I'm skeptical on any sound difference, but the weight savings of inconel are impressive.
Revisionist history, of course, but if I could go back in time, I would order the SS system. Much better bang for your buck.

I'm not feeling any weight savings benefit for the way I drive my Spyder, and would have slept just fine at night for the difference in tone and the extra 4K in my pocket.

Bearrun21 (03-18-2023)
Old 03-03-2023, 05:03 PM
SupremePower
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dmboone25
Revisionist history, of course, but if I could go back in time, I would order the SS system. Much better bang for your buck.
I'm not feeling any weight savings benefit for the way I drive my Spyder, and would have slept just fine at night for the difference in tone and the extra 4K in my pocket.
David, you also did the ONLY Kline system we have sold to date with full heat shielding on both the oap and the rear section which definitely put a muffling to the sound the inconel typically produces.

Really not a fair comparison for the inconel sound due to the shielding. FWIW the cost difference to go Inconel vs Stainless is +$2695 not +$4000.
The following 2 users liked this post by SupremePower:
BoxKing (03-03-2023), rp2000r (03-04-2023)
Old 03-03-2023, 05:25 PM
dmboone25
Racer

Received 323 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by SupremePower
David, you also did the ONLY Kline system we have sold to date with full heat shielding on both the oap and the rear section which definitely put a muffling to the sound the inconel typically produces.

Really not a fair comparison for the inconel sound due to the shielding. FWIW the cost difference to go Inconel vs Stainless is +$2695 not +$4000.
Very true, Eric - just providing feedback to others, such that they can consider all relevant perspectives and not just the raving reviews.

Old 03-03-2023, 05:28 PM
SupremePower
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dmboone25
Very true, Eric - just providing feedback to others, such that they can consider all relevant perspectives and not just the raving reviews.
Ofcourse man. I hear ya! Pun intended!

Have a great weekend.
Old 03-03-2023, 05:32 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,087 Likes on 541 Posts

The inconel's thinner material would theoretically provide a different sound from the muffler section. Just how much, I wouldn't know without a real back-to-back comparison. Both sound same to me from videos. Shielding the muffler on either inconel or SS would likely not be ideal in terms of sound. I wouldn't even think muffler heat shield remotely beneficial.

Either way, SS owners will say sound same to validate $ savings. Inconel owners will say sounds better to validate extra spend.

Last edited by RoadrunnerGTS; 03-03-2023 at 05:36 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RoadrunnerGTS:
Big Belly 711 (03-03-2023), TRSCobra (09-16-2023)
Old 03-03-2023, 10:27 PM
808c2s
Burning Brakes

Received 461 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerGTS
Either way, SS owners will say sound same to validate $ savings. Inconel owners will say sounds better to validate extra spend.
Hahaha... in my case, I would say greater weight savings to justify the Inconel cost
dnimi123 (03-04-2023)
Old 03-04-2023, 09:38 AM
Growler48
Instructor

Received 180 Likes on 76 Posts

Headers dont change the loudness too much but they do change the tone and also increase the power w the free flowing cats and header design.
How is the tone changed - higher or lower pitched?
Old 03-04-2023, 01:46 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,113 Likes on 673 Posts

Originally Posted by Growler48
How is the tone changed - higher or lower pitched?
So I added the full Kline exhaust in two stages after driving my GT4 for about 3 months and not being happy with the stock exhaust. I chose inconel because I wanted the BEST in terms of sound and weight savings. So upon installing the cat back resonated OAP and rear section I had 2 or 3 observations.
1. The cold start sound had more volume and was a bit more aggressive and with similar to stock tone.
2. Up to about 4 or 5,000 RPM with or without valves open the volume and sound were very close to stock though CLEARER and CRISPER which was a bit of a surprise
3. After 6,000 RPM the exhaust really opened up to be sharper, louder and brighter - a very nice addictive sound indeed that is really awesome. The pitch and tone did not drop lower as some exhausts will but it became higher pitched (though not as high pitched as the JCR exhaust). I will say the car sounds very good on the inside with about the same drone as OEM, BUT sounds even better outside the car!

But honestly it was not enough for me. Because I had to get to 6,000 RPM to really enjoy the sound inside the cabin (yes I have a valve controller) even with the valves open. So I went back and forth in my head and with the help of Eric @SupremePower and others on this forum about the inconel headers. I was worried it would be too loud or make the tone i loved up top worse. Took another couple months but I made the plunge and am very happy. With the headers and full system you get
1. More volume at ALL rev ranges
2. Same or better higher tone at the higher rev ranges
3. and as a surprise benefit greatly reduced drone - I suspect this is because the full system is designed to work best together and boy it does.

Many people comment positively on the sound of the car on and off the track and ask about it. Eric and the guys at Kline are awesome and easy to deal with and the product (SS or Inconel) are the best you can buy at any price. As I have heard both my full inconel Kline and the JCR titanium in @cooler2442 Spyder (as well as the Akro rear in another car) I can say with confidence the Kline is the clear overall winner when you add in the drone reduction while for full out high pitched sound the JCR edges the Kline at the very high rev ranges for that specific sound if thats what you are looking for. But for the smoothest, higher pitched, quality true Porsche sound you cant go wrong with Kline. Check out Dnimi123 on instagram and you will hear both before and after headers if you are concerned about the changes in tone as that part is minimal and the benefit is the volume at lower rev ranges...

One final note and that is you will need an ECU tune if you get the headers as you want to get the full power benefit of that purchase. This also changes the tone a bit and I felt this opened up the sound and might have drop the tone a tiny bit, but you need it for the noticeable power boost. I estimate my GT4 is now putting out about 465 hp with the exhaust and ECU Tune.
The following 2 users liked this post by dnimi123:
pinion (03-04-2023), SpaceFox007 (04-03-2023)
Old 03-04-2023, 06:40 PM
SpyderPlease
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you for your order!The only downside would be that the heat shielding does muffle the sound which is more apparent in the Inconel material.

The Kline OAP pipes run significantly cooler than the OE pipes w filter. The amount of heat your car gives off from the OE filter after hard driving is astonishing. Once the Kline OAP is installed the radiating heat is no where near what the OE filter was producing. I JUST ordered an infared heat gun. Next one that comes in we will do the test on the factory filter VS the OAP and let you guys know what we find!

Kline’s stance from the beginning was that you do not need the heat shield on this application. They added the heat shielding when they saw people on Rennlist comparing their product to their competitors who have heat shield. Now customers can decide if they want to add the heat shield or not. If there was a heat problem w any application Kline would not make the heat shield optional it would be automatically included.

If the heat shield gives you peace of mind then go for it.

We dont push the heat shield when we sell these and have had no issues reported and we have sold A LOT of these....

Thank you again for you order! Any and all questions welcome.
Hi Eric,

Did you get a chance to run a comparison of heat between the Kline Iconel system versus stock?

Quick Reply: Kline 718 GT4/Spyder exhaust