Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Kline 718 GT4/Spyder exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2023, 06:47 PM
SupremePower
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,403 Likes on 823 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderPlease
Hi Eric,

Did you get a chance to run a comparison of heat between the Kline Iconel system versus stock?
I received the two infrared thermal guns but I missed the last install appointment we had so I wasn’t able to perform the test — totally slipped my mind to have the technicians the readings. We have another one coming in soon and will get some data!

World's Largest Retailer/Distributor of BBS Motorsport & Street Wheels from 2015-2023
Huge Inventory: BBS, Kline, Brembo, Soul, Recaro, KW, Akrapovic & 200+ brands. Installation available
** Retail & Wholesale ** Global Delivery ** We match/beat any authorized dealer's price **

SupremePower.com // SupremeForged.com // Follow SupremePower on IG

The following 3 users liked this post by SupremePower:
pinion (03-04-2023), SpyderPlease (03-04-2023), Unstock (03-04-2023)
Old 03-04-2023, 10:56 PM
Growler48
Instructor

Received 180 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by dnimi123
So I added the full Kline exhaust in two stages after driving my GT4 for about 3 months and not being happy with the stock exhaust. I chose inconel because I wanted the BEST in terms of sound and weight savings. So upon installing the cat back resonated OAP and rear section I had 2 or 3 observations.
1. The cold start sound had more volume and was a bit more aggressive and with similar to stock tone.
2. Up to about 4 or 5,000 RPM with or without valves open the volume and sound were very close to stock though CLEARER and CRISPER which was a bit of a surprise
3. After 6,000 RPM the exhaust really opened up to be sharper, louder and brighter - a very nice addictive sound indeed that is really awesome. The pitch and tone did not drop lower as some exhausts will but it became higher pitched (though not as high pitched as the JCR exhaust). I will say the car sounds very good on the inside with about the same drone as OEM, BUT sounds even better outside the car!

But honestly it was not enough for me. Because I had to get to 6,000 RPM to really enjoy the sound inside the cabin (yes I have a valve controller) even with the valves open. So I went back and forth in my head and with the help of Eric @SupremePower and others on this forum about the inconel headers. I was worried it would be too loud or make the tone i loved up top worse. Took another couple months but I made the plunge and am very happy. With the headers and full system you get
1. More volume at ALL rev ranges
2. Same or better higher tone at the higher rev ranges
3. and as a surprise benefit greatly reduced drone - I suspect this is because the full system is designed to work best together and boy it does.

Many people comment positively on the sound of the car on and off the track and ask about it. Eric and the guys at Kline are awesome and easy to deal with and the product (SS or Inconel) are the best you can buy at any price. As I have heard both my full inconel Kline and the JCR titanium in @cooler2442 Spyder (as well as the Akro rear in another car) I can say with confidence the Kline is the clear overall winner when you add in the drone reduction while for full out high pitched sound the JCR edges the Kline at the very high rev ranges for that specific sound if thats what you are looking for. But for the smoothest, higher pitched, quality true Porsche sound you cant go wrong with Kline. Check out Dnimi123 on instagram and you will hear both before and after headers if you are concerned about the changes in tone as that part is minimal and the benefit is the volume at lower rev ranges...

One final note and that is you will need an ECU tune if you get the headers as you want to get the full power benefit of that purchase. This also changes the tone a bit and I felt this opened up the sound and might have drop the tone a tiny bit, but you need it for the noticeable power boost. I estimate my GT4 is now putting out about 465 hp with the exhaust and ECU Tune.
Thank you for all those details! I'm really leaning toward adding the headers to complete my system!

Which tune did you go with?
Old 03-05-2023, 03:04 AM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,113 Likes on 673 Posts

Originally Posted by Growler48
Thank you for all those details! I'm really leaning toward adding the headers to complete my system!

Which tune did you go with?
You will not be disappointed if you chose the headers as it completes the system. I went with ECU Tuning group (mostly because the Porsche Service Manager at my dealership recommended). The guy is good and it does the job... but if I were to do it again I would chose Cobb, Softronic or M Engineering for the greater support and tuning options... I also add in some octane booster as Im in LA and we only get 91 octane and I feel the car runs better with the additive...
The following users liked this post:
Growler48 (03-05-2023)
Old 03-13-2023, 12:05 PM
douriel
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Hi all, thinking about adding street headers (200-cell) to the Kline inconel setup I already own. I'm wondering how to think about inconel vs. stainless steel for the headers. Any suggestions as to whether the inconel is worth anything other than weight savings for the headers? In particular, is there any discernable difference in tone or any other factors that would make inconel preferable? Thanks!
Old 03-13-2023, 01:13 PM
SupremePower
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,403 Likes on 823 Posts

Originally Posted by douriel
Hi all, thinking about adding street headers (200-cell) to the Kline inconel setup I already own. I'm wondering how to think about inconel vs. stainless steel for the headers. Any suggestions as to whether the inconel is worth anything other than weight savings for the headers? In particular, is there any discernable difference in tone or any other factors that would make inconel preferable? Thanks!
Kline states the Inconel is the way if you already have the Kline Inconel rear system. The exhaust sound design works proper when the entire system is from the same material, plus the extra weight savings you get with Inconel.

Old 03-18-2023, 02:02 AM
flynlo
Burning Brakes

Received 819 Likes on 393 Posts

Delete

Last edited by flynlo; 03-19-2023 at 02:50 PM.
SupremePower (03-18-2023)
Old 04-01-2023, 10:29 AM
Montaver
Rennlist Member

Received 513 Likes on 249 Posts

Just installed the SS version, build quality was fantastic and fitment install was straightforward. My regular shop charged me 2hrs labor but I think an experienced shop working quickly would easily get it done in an hour or so.

It has some lovely high pitched exotic tones at higher RPM. Power wise the engine feels a little more free without the stock OAP's. I still need to install my Cargraphics controller so running stock exhaust button logic. There is definitely some lower RPM boom and resonance, mainly at mid throttle below 2.5k RPM and on decel. You certainly know its there, has a lot of presence. Gives the car much more character and volume, to the point where I was driving 25 in a 25 zone and some guy shouted at me to slow down lol.
LooseNut (04-01-2023)
Old 04-01-2023, 10:41 AM
incursion
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm almost done installing my SS version on my GT4. It'll probably end up being a 4-hour job for me and my friend. I used https://911maniac.com/kline/ install guide and wanted to add some notes for anyone else who's attempting to install on their own.

1. For number 14 & 27, a 19mm wrench fit better than a 20mm one.

2. For number 17, an E10 fit better than an E11.

3. We skipped 19 and used the Kline supplied bolt. However, we reversed the orientation of the bolt when connecting the Kline OAP to the OEM cat such that the bolt head faces the rear of the car. The bolt is long enough. I called Will at SupremePower, and he confirmed that this should work. We don't think you need the nut on the end of the bolt since the OEM cat has female threads.
Old 04-01-2023, 11:30 AM
Lucas1
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 964C4
Here's my 718 GT4 with KLINE inconel exhaust + CARGRAPHIC sport cats

Sounds perfect! And zero drone!

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/aX90kkZLVnw
can I ask you why you went for Cargraphic headers and not Kline since you have a Kline exhaust ?
any ECU tune?
I have a Kline exhaust + Kline OAP (SS) and I am considering to buy also the headers
Old 04-01-2023, 11:57 AM
Lucas1
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 964C4
Here's my 718 GT4 with KLINE inconel exhaust + CARGRAPHIC sport cats

Sounds perfect! And zero drone!

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/aX90kkZLVnw
@964C4 can I ask you why you went for Cargraphic headers and not Kline since you have a Kline exhaust ?
any ECU tune?
I have a Kline exhaust + Kline OAP (SS) and I am considering to buy also the headers

Last edited by Lucas1; 04-01-2023 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-01-2023, 12:40 PM
LooseNut
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Is there anyone from central Ohio with a Kline system? I'd like to hear it in person if possible as judging exhaust sound can be very subjective.
I'm leaning towards stainless steel for my car with OEM cats and headers.

I appreciate all the reviews and videos from different people. (I read all 86 pages)

Thanks in advance,
Ed
SupremePower (04-01-2023)
Old 04-01-2023, 12:48 PM
NiteCrawlr
Racer

Received 281 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Montaver
Just installed the SS version, build quality was fantastic and fitment install was straightforward. My regular shop charged me 2hrs labor but I think an experienced shop working quickly would easily get it done in an hour or so.

It has some lovely high pitched exotic tones at higher RPM. Power wise the engine feels a little more free without the stock OAP's. I still need to install my Cargraphics controller so running stock exhaust button logic. There is definitely some lower RPM boom and resonance, mainly at mid throttle below 2.5k RPM and on decel. You certainly know its there, has a lot of presence. Gives the car much more character and volume, to the point where I was driving 25 in a 25 zone and some guy shouted at me to slow down lol.
Are your valves closed? In my experience the boom/resonance is only with valves closed - that's why I almost always drive valves open.
Old 04-01-2023, 01:05 PM
incursion
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 60 Posts

I agree with @NiteCrawlr on the drone with valves closed from hearing his system multiple times and am curious how mine will sound. I'll report back next week.
Old 04-01-2023, 03:50 PM
LoodorneGT4
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

I wouldn’t call it a drone folks ..it’s a little tiny boom at lower rpm, sam as stock system whenvalve force open ..it’s nothing compared to other systems I tried or I heard in person ..some exhaust out there cause a really bad drone.
The following 2 users liked this post by LoodorneGT4:
SupremePower (04-01-2023), UncleDude (04-01-2023)
Old 04-01-2023, 04:14 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,435 Likes on 2,226 Posts

Originally Posted by LoodorneGT4
I wouldn’t call it a drone folks ..it’s a little tiny boom at lower rpm, sam as stock system whenvalve force open ..it’s nothing compared to other systems I tried or I heard in person ..some exhaust out there cause a really bad drone.
Ya, that sounds is *nothing* compared to other systems that rattle the entire cabin and your ear drums.

Quick Reply: Kline 718 GT4/Spyder exhaust