Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Kline 718 GT4/Spyder exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2023, 01:45 PM
Montaver
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by brandobot
just ordered my Kline SS heat wrapped oap and rear section.

For those with the Kline oap and mufflers and valve controllers, do you find that you leave valves open most the time?

debating whether I should invest in a valve controller or collar mod them or leave the vacuum line disconnected. i can deal with loud volume, but drone bothers me.

i previously had flat6 oaps and stuck muffler and found that I left the valves open 24/7
Valves are nice to have if you are doing long drives to the track, I have the Cargraphic. I leave the valves open the rest of the time.

This really is the best exhaust for this platform, you wont regret it.
The following 4 users liked this post by Montaver:
BoxKing (06-13-2023), brandobot (06-13-2023), LoodorneGT4 (06-13-2023), UncleDude (06-13-2023)
Old 06-13-2023, 03:48 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,126 Likes on 555 Posts

It is impossible for most people to actually hear what any of the aftermarket exhaust options really sound like, simply due to the low numbers of these cars to begin with. For this reason, my exhaust is still completely stock.

But here's what I had time to do yesterday......

I have a pretty decent home theater set-up, and so I sat down, put on You Tube, and cranked up the sound to real world volume levels. Ran though a large number of videos. Some were just horrible with way too much wind or background noise to truly make any sense of what these exhaust mods actually sound like. To my ears, none of the OAPs really did anything other than make the sound louder and raspier. To my ears, this was mostly unpleasant. I also felt that a number of systems sounded like just loud fart-cans.

The best sounding set-up that I could clearly hear, to my ears, was the Akrapovic rear muffler alone on an otherwise stock system. This may not be the way to release trapped power, but it had a nice depth to the sound, that no other system had. I also came to appreciate that I basically like the OEM sound. I just wish there was a little more of it a lower rpm. Right now, I am uncertain that I really want to change anything.

Last edited by VVG; 06-14-2023 at 04:41 PM.
Old 06-13-2023, 03:51 PM
LoodorneGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
It is impossible for most people to actually hear what any of the aftermarket exhaust options really sound like, simply due to the low numbers of these cars to begin with. for this reason, my exhaust is still completely stock.

I have a pretty decent home theater set-up, and so I sat down, put on You Tube, and cranked up the sound to real world volume levels. ran though a large number of videos. Some were just horrible with way to much wind or background notice to truly make any sense of what these exhaust mods actually sound like. to my ears, none of the OAPs really did anything other than make the sound louder and raspier. To my ears, this was mostly unpleasant. I also felt that a number of systems sounded like just loud fart-cans.

The best sounding set-up that I could clearly hear, to my ears, was the Akrapovic rear muffler alone on an otherwise stock system. This may not be the way to release trapped power, but it had a nice depth to the sound, that no other system had.
nah.. not that good.
Old 06-13-2023, 03:59 PM
dmboone25
Racer

Received 341 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by LoodorneGT4
nah.. not that good.
I would tend to agree - the Akra is one that I have not been interested in at all, and sounds too similar to stock (based upon videos, not real world experience).
Old 06-13-2023, 04:16 PM
shiftgear
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 26 Posts

the contenders for best sound for this platform are Kline and JCR
The following 4 users liked this post by shiftgear:
6IXSPD (06-13-2023), BoxKing (06-13-2023), IL_Pete (07-04-2023), Montaver (06-13-2023)
Old 06-13-2023, 04:44 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Received 867 Likes on 498 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
It is impossible for most people to actually hear what any of the aftermarket exhaust options really sound like, simply due to the low numbers of these cars to begin with. For this reason, my exhaust is still completely stock.

I have a pretty decent home theater set-up, and so I sat down, put on You Tube, and cranked up the sound to real world volume levels. Ran though a large number of videos. Some were just horrible with way to much wind or background notice to truly make any sense of what these exhaust mods actually sound like. To my ears, none of the OAPs really did anything other than make the sound louder and raspier. To my ears, this was mostly unpleasant. I also felt that a number of systems sounded like just loud fart-cans.

The best sounding set-up that I could clearly hear, to my ears, was the Akrapovic rear muffler alone on an otherwise stock system. This may not be the way to release trapped power, but it had a nice depth to the sound, that no other system had. I also came to appreciate that I basically like the OEM sound. I just wish there was a little more of it a lower rpm. Right now, I am uncertain that I really want to change anything.
There is a great solution to open up the tone at lower RPMs, and you can get the experience in less than 5 minutes, and revert back in the same manner of time. Remove the air lines off the valves, thus leaving them open all the time. This will 100% provide you with more from 0-4K RPM - if you like it, but want to retain the option to run PSE, then grab a controller, and at least you tested out what you can do with the stock setup for FREE!

Also disagree with AKRA back box as being a solid contender - its just a deeper raspier version of OEM - doesn’t blend the two banks like the top choices do; which is why they’re on the top of a short list. Not to mention the price tag - OUCH!!

To me, its Kline or JCR… Cargraphic probably rounds off the top of the list, and shocking it gets little love here in the states (bc Kline is just very well balanced)

Last edited by BoxKing; 06-13-2023 at 10:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
IL_Pete (07-04-2023)
Old 06-13-2023, 04:46 PM
Montaver
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG

I have a pretty decent home theater set-up, and so I sat down, put on You Tube, and cranked up the sound to real world volume levels. Ran though a large number of videos. Some were just horrible with way to much wind or background notice to truly make any sense of what these exhaust mods actually sound like. To my ears, none of the OAPs really did anything other than make the sound louder and raspier. To my ears, this was mostly unpleasant. I also felt that a number of systems sounded like just loud fart-cans.

The stock exhaust on this platform is literally non existent from a sound perspective, and the tone that does exist is there is not particularly inspiring. The Akra does not mix the sound banks in an X pipe, it will do nothing for the tone or add much volume given the stock exhaust is straight through with valves open anyway.

People like to think they have some sort of 'unique' ear that requires them to listen to exhaust combinations incase the hundreds of other people that have these systems already are wrong somehow. They are not. Just get the Kline system, the only post you will be making afterwards is 'why did I ruminate on this for so long, I should of done this sooner'. Take this from someone who has spent countless hours watching exhaust system videos on Youtube for every car I own, I understand the desire to get it right. This is not an e9x M3 where there are a lot of subjective options and basically sounds great whatever you do to it (coincidentally the Akra also sounds weak on the that too).

Last edited by Montaver; 06-13-2023 at 04:51 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Montaver:
6IXSPD (06-13-2023), LoodorneGT4 (06-15-2023)
Old 06-13-2023, 04:52 PM
dmboone25
Racer

Received 341 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by BoxKing
There is a great solution to open up the tone at lower RPMs, and you can get the experience in less than 5 minutes, and revert back in the same manner of time. Remove the air lines off the valves, thus leaving them open all the time. This will 100% provide you with more from 0-4K RPM - if you like it, but want to retain the option to run PSE, then grab a controller, and at least you tested out what you can do with the stock setup for FREE!

Also disagree with AKRA back box as being a solid contender - its just a deeper raspier version of OEM - doesn’t blend the two banks like the top choices do; which is why they’re on the top of a short list. Not to mention the price tag - OUCH!!

To me, its Kline or JCR… Cargraphic probably rounds off the top of the list, and shocking gets little love here in the states (bc Kline is just very well balanced)
I was somewhat interested in Cargraphic at first - as there are some nice sounding videos for the platform online - but I found their product naming methodology confusing, and didn't get very helpful feedback when I emailed them for clarification. So I just gave up....
Old 06-13-2023, 07:26 PM
Josh_357
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Ya, it really is just a small bloom of base. I covered it earlier in the tread and it doesn’t bother me, and I’m in the sensitive camp. Congrats! Would like to hear stainless versus inconel, hopefully I’ll get to do that around here at some point.
Well I got some time today to check all my connections after running in, and realized I had some rubbing on the stock heat shielding under the trunk area. I had tight fitment on my soul system too, so not sure why my car is so tight with exhausts, maybe related to PDK.

Clearing up all the touch points seems to improve the bass sound, practically gone valves closed. I think the muffler touching was causing what I noticed.

One of the spots it was touching.

Also put collars on it today and only let the valves close about 60%, and now it’s perfect! Just a little bit more tone closed and epic open!
The following 2 users liked this post by Josh_357:
BoxKing (06-13-2023), UncleDude (06-14-2023)
Old 06-13-2023, 07:33 PM
brandobot
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh_357
Well I got some time today to check all my connections after running in, and realized I had some rubbing on the stock heat shielding under the trunk area. I had tight fitment on my soul system too, so not sure why my car is so tight with exhausts, maybe related to PDK.

Clearing up all the touch points seems to improve the bass sound, practically gone valves closed. I think the muffler touching was causing what I noticed.

One of the spots it was touching.

Also put collars on it today and only let the valves close about 60%, and now it’s perfect! Just a little bit more tone closed and epic open!
do you find that the collar makes a metallic clanking noise when it open and closes? I ran into this issue on my stock exhaust.
Old 06-13-2023, 07:35 PM
Josh_357
Racer

Originally Posted by brandobot
do you find that the collar makes a metallic clanking noise when it open and closes? I ran into this issue on my stock exhaust.
Haven’t noticed it on this system. I could hear the clink when stopped on stock, but never while driving.

Last edited by Josh_357; 06-14-2023 at 12:11 AM.
brandobot (06-13-2023)
Old 06-14-2023, 12:04 AM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,497 Likes on 2,253 Posts

Hmm, I will have to check the clearances there when I put mine back on. What diameter shaft collars did you use? Is it 6mm?
Old 06-14-2023, 12:08 AM
Josh_357
Racer

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Hmm, I will have to check the clearances there when I put mine back on. What diameter shaft collars did you use? Is it 6mm?
Yep, same 6mm as stock valve. I had a bunch of slight rub spots that I found by shaking the muffler up and down, hearing the scraping, and then massaging the shielding for clearance.
UncleDude (06-14-2023)
Old 06-14-2023, 12:25 AM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,117 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh_357
Haven’t noticed it on this system. I could hear the clink when stopped on stock, but never while driving.
Another area to look out for rubbing is the rear muffler box section rubbing against the heat shielding that lines the inner side of the back bumper. It is difficult to get in there, so use a suitable cut section of cardboard to test if it can slide in the gap between the muffler *** section and heat shield. Because the system expands when hot, you'd need 5-10mm gap.
Old 06-14-2023, 01:04 AM
Josh_357
Racer

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerGTS
Another area to look out for rubbing is the rear muffler box section rubbing against the heat shielding that lines the inner side of the back bumper. It is difficult to get in there, so use a suitable cut section of cardboard to test if it can slide in the gap between the muffler *** section and heat shield. Because the system expands when hot, you'd need 5-10mm gap.
Yes, had rubbing on top of the muffler, and near some of the 90 bends in and out of the muffler. I think I got em all. Really pushed up and down on the system today and think I addressed all the clearance issues. Now to start designing an aero cover that will fill the void of the flat bottom of the stock muffler, and work with the diffuser.

Quick Reply: Kline 718 GT4/Spyder exhaust